PDA

View Full Version : Is Mike Gunday a candidate ANYWHERE?

King Barry's Back
12/5/2011, 07:32 AM
Lots and lots of fired coaches this year. Mike Gundy has the pokes an inch away from a title shot.

He should be as hot as Sumlin, right?

Last crazy coach from Stillwater has worked out pretty good, yeah?

Is Gundy getting any love?

As a bonus question: If Mike Gundy were to leave Stillwater, any chance he'd take Cale with him? :subdued:

Aries
12/5/2011, 08:25 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the impression that Gundy has any interest in leaving OSU.

Mazeppa
12/5/2011, 08:49 AM
Lots and lots of fired coaches this year. Mike Gundy has the pokes an inch away from a title shot.

He should be as hot as Sumlin, right?

Last crazy coach from Stillwater has worked out pretty good, yeah?

Is Gundy getting any love?

As a bonus question: If Mike Gundy were to leave Stillwater, any chance he'd take Cale with him? :subdued:

the real question is does anybody really care

jk the sooner fan
12/5/2011, 08:57 AM
Gundy has publicly said he has no desire to leave stillwater

Augusta_Sooner
12/5/2011, 09:29 AM
Why would he be a candidate anywhere? He's coahcing his alma mater; he's at home coaching oSu; that's why you don't hear his name mentioned. Other schools know that Gundy is exactly where he wants to be, and that is at oSu. They would be wasting their time talking to him. Sumlin on the other hand is not where he wants to be long-term. He doesn't coach in a BCS conference and ultimately, that's the goal of most (if not every coach) in the college ranks. Gundy and Sumlin are on different career paths. Now that oSu has won their 1st conf title and landed their 1st BCS bowl game, Gundy has cemented his position as their HC for a long time.

LSUdeek
12/5/2011, 12:22 PM
With the athletic facility upgrades and booster support, oSu is now a Tier 1 job. No reason for him to leave.

PrideMom
12/5/2011, 12:36 PM
T Boone owns him.....

baja okla
12/5/2011, 12:42 PM
Stillwater, Tier 1 job? They need to start beating us more often than once every ten or so years before I buy into that.

Boomerboone1
12/5/2011, 12:42 PM
T Boone does own him and I think that is the reason he was made head coach in the first place. If he doesn't get a raise, he'll use the threat of leaving, but he's not going anywhere and I don't think there would be much interest for him anywhere. Everyone knows he's there because T Boone wanted someone who had strong ties to osu and wouldn't leave at the first chance he got. Plus, I agree that with all the money dumped into osu, there is no reason to leave. I think he'd fail horribly at any other school.

badger
12/5/2011, 12:47 PM
The only way he interviews for other jobs is if OSU drags its feet on giving him a pay raise. They are gonna have a talent dropoff next year (duh!) and thus, Gundy needs to leverage his good season now before he starts racking up 7-6 seasons again.

sooner59
12/5/2011, 12:47 PM
They have to do a little better than the best season in history being their first BCS bowl with a loss to 6-6 Iowa State before they achieve tier 1 status. Sorry. OU and Texas are tier 1. Nebraska was before they left. That's it in this league. OSU is certainly more desirable from a coaching standpoint now. But give me a break with the tier 1 talk.

badger
12/5/2011, 12:52 PM
They have to do a little better than the best season in history being their first BCS bowl with a loss to 6-6 Iowa State before they achieve tier 1 status. Sorry. OU and Texas are tier 1. Nebraska was before they left. That's it in this league. OSU is certainly more desirable from a coaching standpoint now. But give me a break with the tier 1 talk.

Texas and OU clearly messed up in recruiting by letting some talented players slip to OSU.

OSU still needs more facility upgrades before they can be Tier 1. They have just had a very fortunate streak of landing quality players that would have gone to OU or Texas if offered.

Citation: The fact that OSU recruits often bail on verbals after a bigger school (like Texas and OU) offers.

King Barry's Back
12/5/2011, 09:46 PM
[Post deleted by poster.]

8timechamps
12/5/2011, 09:55 PM
Every coach has a dream job, Gundy happens to already have his. I can't imagine any situation that would lure Gundy away from Stillwater. Money can change things though...

oSuJeff1997
12/6/2011, 12:03 PM
Stillwater, Tier 1 job? They need to start beating us more often than once every ten or so years before I buy into that.

OSU has averaged 10 wins over the past four years. It's been ranked in the top 10 for all or most of those seasons. It just won the Big 12 and was within a handful of votes from playing in the national title game.

We have some of the best football facilities in the country.

If that doesn't qualify for "tier 1", I wonder what does... ?

Sorry. OU and Texas are tier 1. Nebraska was before they left.

Give me a break.

I'll give you OU and Texas, but OSU has been a better program than Nebraska over the past decade. Look up the results if you don't believe me.

For starters, Nebraska hasn't won a conference title since 1999. (That's 12 years ago, if anyone is counting)

They haven't been close to playing for the national title since they got the back-door BCS screwjob invite in 2001 (10 years ago) and promptly got smashed by Miami.

They've basically been a fringe top 25 program for most of the past decade.

OSU still needs more facility upgrades before they can be Tier 1.

What kind of upgrades? OSU currently has among the best football facilities in the country.

Texas and OU clearly messed up in recruiting by letting some talented players slip to OSU.

LOL, dude.

It's called identifying talented players and then coaching them up.

NormanPride
12/6/2011, 12:18 PM
Nebraska > OSU

Saying otherwise is silly poke talk. Fanbase, facilities, tradition, national following, recruiting base, conference, etc. All in Nebraska's favor.

sooneredaco
12/6/2011, 12:23 PM
Nebraska > OSU

Saying otherwise is silly poke talk. Fanbase, facilities, tradition, national following, recruiting base, conference, etc. All in Nebraska's favor.

^^
this. And there is no question about it

soonervegas
12/6/2011, 12:45 PM
The only way he interviews for other jobs is if OSU drags its feet on giving him a pay raise. They are gonna have a talent dropoff next year (duh!) and thus, Gundy needs to leverage his good season now before he starts racking up 7-6 seasons again.

Not according to my Aggie coworker. They are in the best position in the Big 12 to repeat.

soonerlaw
12/6/2011, 12:53 PM
IMHO, OSU is what TTU was before Leach left. Gets a lot of wins, a program on the up and up, but still second fiddle to big brother. Only difference is that Gundy is going nowhere and will build that program up.

soonerinbixby
12/6/2011, 12:57 PM
There are 20-25 jobs that are better than the OSU job but I think Mike really does love Stillwater and isn't about going to a big-time program and making huge money. Pros and cons to both sides. He has good job security in Stillwater but he must work for Boone. It would take a special type of person to work for Boone. I like Gundy and think he is one heck of coach.

virginiasooner
12/6/2011, 01:17 PM
He's not going anywhere. But he is one season away from a permanent golf vacation if Texas gets its act together, and once again beats OSU by 3 or 4 touchdowns in Stillwater. And OSU going another decade without beating the Sooners. And those two things converge at the same time, and Gundy puts a couple of real teams on the non-conference schedule (and OSU loses), and THEN his job will be on line, and not one second before.

But T-bone could also say something that attracts the attention of the NCAA, and Mike Gundy will be the one sacrificed, not the moneybags.

MamaMia
12/6/2011, 01:54 PM
Mike Gundy is getting ready to get a great big fat juicy raise via Boone Pickens. He ain't going nowhere.

oSuJeff1997
12/6/2011, 02:46 PM
Nebraska > OSU

Amazing that with all of those advantages, the only thing that matters (on-field results) is in OSU's favor.

It's not the 1990s (or 80s or 70s) any more. Nebraska has been mostly irrelevant on the national scene for a decade now.

Again - it's been 12 years since Nebraska won a conference title. Kansas State and Colorado have won conference titles more recently than Nebraska.

They would have finished about 7th or 8th in the Big 12 this year. They got blown up by the only two good teams they played in the Big 10. It's going to be fun watching South Carolina curb-stomp them in the Capital One Bowl.

IMHO, OSU is what TTU was before Leach left.

Remind me which year TTU won the Big 12 with Leach.

Also remind me when TTU averaged 10 wins over a 4-year period with Leach.

OSU is better right now than TTU ever was under Leach. He had one fantastic year (2008) to go along with lots of 7-8 win years.

soonervegas
12/6/2011, 03:53 PM
Amazing that with all of those advantages, the only thing that matters (on-field results) is in OSU's favor.

It's not the 1990s (or 80s or 70s) any more. Nebraska has been mostly irrelevant on the national scene for a decade now.

Again - it's been 12 years since Nebraska won a conference title. Kansas State and Colorado have won conference titles more recently than Nebraska.

They would have finished about 7th or 8th in the Big 12 this year. They got blown up by the only two good teams they played in the Big 10. It's going to be fun watching South Carolina curb-stomp them in the Capital One Bowl.

Remind me which year TTU won the Big 12 with Leach.

Also remind me when TTU averaged 10 wins over a 4-year period with Leach.

OSU is better right now than TTU ever was under Leach. He had one fantastic year (2008) to go along with lots of 7-8 win years.

Insert OU for Nebraska and OSU for KSU with what you just said and you have the opinion on the majority of Kansas State fans in 1997-1999.

Great year for OSU and good things are in place....but don't stick the chest out too far. Nebraska is a BIG DOG in college football......period.

oudivesherpa
12/6/2011, 04:15 PM
Since there is no definition of what constitutes a tier one team, I guess the folks in Stillwater believe they are a tier one team. But my definition of a tier one team is a school that consistently finishes in the top 15, wins their conference at least 30% of the time and has won a National Championship. When I think tier one, I think Bama, Lsu, Florida, Texas, OU, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, USC and posthumously Norte Dame. If you want to win a National Championship a recruit will go to one of the aforementioned schools, not to Oklahoma State.

jkjsooner
12/6/2011, 04:20 PM
T Boone does own him and I think that is the reason he was made head coach in the first place. If he doesn't get a raise, he'll use the threat of leaving, but he's not going anywhere and I don't think there would be much interest for him anywhere.

Not much interest? I have a hard time believing that. He done a lot more at OSU than Miles did and Miles landed a pretty sweet job.

I'm not saying Gundy is interested in leaving but if he was interested plenty of teams would be interested in him.

I don't think there are any better openings at the moment now that the other OSU has selected their coach.

jkjsooner
12/6/2011, 04:32 PM
Gundy has publicly said he has no desire to leave stillwater

Right, cause coaches never say that when it isn't true...

My guess is that Gundy does want to stay at OSU for the long haul but statements like the one you reference are pretty much meaningless.

As for OSU being a tier 1 program, well, I'd just say that that is ridiculous. It takes a lot more than one conference championship to become a tier 1 program.

Saying that OSU is above Nebraska is also absurd. They win one championship and that moves them ahead of NU? It's true, it's been a while since NU won a Big 12 championship but they've darn sure played for quite a few recently (2006, 2009, 2010).

I think your argument would be better stated that Gundy wants to make OSU a tier 1 program. He might just do it but that isn't done overnight or in 3 years.

King Barry's Back
12/6/2011, 05:10 PM
T Boone does own him and I think that is the reason he was made head coach in the first place. If he doesn't get a raise, he'll use the threat of leaving, but he's not going anywhere and I don't think there would be much interest for him anywhere. Everyone knows he's there because T Boone wanted someone who had strong ties to osu and wouldn't leave at the first chance he got. Plus, I agree that with all the money dumped into osu, there is no reason to leave. I think he'd fail horribly at any other school.

Here's the post I was looking for.

Frankly, plenty of coaches work at schools with good facilities, and plenty of coaches are happy where they are at.

I'd say those conditions pretty acurately describe Bob Stoops, but that didn't stop dozens of schools TRYING to get him for a decade or so.

The lack of interest isn't because Gundy is so happy in Stillwater, it's because nobody wants him.

I always saw him as kind of semi-competent, and emotionally unstable (see "I am 40.")

BUT, the teams he's put together the last couple of years put the lie to incompetence, and should be making him attractive to at least some schools nationally.

Maybe it's is unprofessional demeanor holding him back? "I am 40!" He kept a child rapist on his team. The way he talks to the media. All of that.

But then....

There's Les Miles. He was very much the same deal when LSU swooped in and hired him. The national media just basically said, "Les is in over his head," and I couldn't have agreed more.

Now look at him.

I'm just wondering if the Les Miles history is going to do anything to help Gundy.

King Barry's Back
12/6/2011, 05:22 PM
To me, when discussing the quality of "a program," you are talking about a lot more than just on-field results.

This would include fertile recruiting connections, links to well-heeled and generous donors, big-time appeal on TV, a university President and regents and administration that are highly compentent and supportive.

It would mean top notch facilities. A large, and well-informed, and active and loyal fan base.

Lots of things.

Clearly, osu doesn't have all of these. But, again, clearly, OU didn't have all of them in the 90s.

So, to be a true top tier, you have to have a permanancy on the big stage, as well as all the pieces currently in place.

For the pokes, I think they are taking big strides towards that tier 1 level. If they can keep winning10 games for the next ten years, they can broaden their fundraising base away from one really rich guy, and thereby continue to build their national brand - they've got a chance.

What happens next year, how long they keep Gundy in place or handle his replacement, and how they handle the pressure of being near the top will tell the tale in the end.

One other thought: Guess you all heard the ABC talking heads bragging on the "lighting" in osu's new football offices. Wanna bet that Coach Stoops will have newly designed lightingin place before next season?

8timechamps
12/6/2011, 05:30 PM
I think the better question is what does the future of OSU look like? This year, everything lined up for them...Weeden/Blackmon, OU disappointing and injuries, A&M the usual fraud, Texas down, Bedlam back in Stillwater. I give them full credit for getting the job done, but will this kind of success continue at this level for the Pokes? I can see them continuing to be among the top half of the Big XII, but this may have been the best squad they'll see in Stillwater in a long while.

AlbqSooner
12/6/2011, 08:56 PM
The pokie fanbase has an attitude of sitting and waiting for the other shoe to drop; Always have had and still do have. Unless and until that changes, they will not be a tier 1 program.

Down 24-3 at the half, Sooner fans sincerely believed that they would come back and win the game last Saturday.
Up 24-3, the pokie fans were scared to death that OU would come back and win the game last Saturday.

Right there is yer difference!

8timechamps
12/6/2011, 08:59 PM
The pokie fanbase has an attitude of sitting and waiting for the other shoe to drop; Always have had and still do have. Unless and until that changes, they will not be a tier 1 program.

Down 24-3 at the half, Sooner fans sincerely believed that they would come back and win the game last Saturday.
Up 24-3, the pokie fans were scared to death that OU would come back and win the game last Saturday.

Or, as I told my son when he asked "why did they storm the field?", a tier 1 team's fan-base rarely (if ever) feels moved to storm the field over a victory. I can't remember the last time fans ran on the field in Norman.

TanTanFeil
12/6/2011, 09:27 PM
The only answer for this thread is "Gundy won't leave OSU unless he gets fired or retires" He's happy at his alma mater

Jacie
12/6/2011, 10:31 PM
The question ought to be will Gundy's staff remain intact after this season? I don't expect anyone is going to come after DC, Bill Young (a career DC with stints at Tulsa, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, Kansas and Miami, Fl.) but what about the OC, Todd Monken? The aggie offense was even more prolific this year than last season when Dana Holgerson was the OC. Or was this season more a matter of keep-doing-what-Holgerson-put-in-place-last-year?

oSuJeff1997
12/7/2011, 11:30 AM

LOL dude.

Just becuase you tell yourself that doesn't make it true.

Nothing I saw in the first half made me think we were going to lose. In fact, I turned to my friends after the first quarter ended at 10-0 and said, "I think we're going to blow them out." Pretty much everyone around me agreed.

It was clear the OU defense wasn't stopping us, and it was also clear that Landry wasn't sharp enough to keep up in a shootout.

I think the better question is what does the future of OSU look like? This year, everything lined up for them...Weeden/Blackmon, OU disappointing and injuries, A&M the usual fraud, Texas down, Bedlam back in Stillwater. I give them full credit for getting the job done, but will this kind of success continue at this level for the Pokes? I can see them continuing to be among the top half of the Big XII, but this may have been the best squad they'll see in Stillwater in a long while.

You could find this exact sentiment, just copy/replace replace the names/details, after the 2009 season.

Sooner_Tuf
12/7/2011, 11:45 AM
Hey Jeff in the next conference realignment episode do you think OSU will take us with them?

I know I let out a sigh of relief when the Big 10 took Nebraska over OSU, those dummies!

Jacie
12/7/2011, 11:46 AM
Oh c'mon Jeff. It isn't like OSU doesn't have a history of blowing big leads. The UT people used to joke about spotting ya 28 points before letting their first team take the field. And at least some of your fans follow OU closely enough to know that the Sooners have gone on scoring binges in the third quarter. Landry was taking shots downfield but for the first time all season, not once were any of the deep balls caught.

cvsooner
12/7/2011, 12:59 PM
Y'all played a great game. Young set up a defense to stop the run, inviting us to beat you with the pass. Normally we would have accommodated you, but for whatever reasons we didn't get it done. We then had a couple of meltdowns (specifically a return to the Landry Jones performance at Nebraska with a couple of absolute 'wtf was that?!' plays and a return of our 'we're on the road so let's play lousy' that most of us had hoped was gone) and that pretty much tanked us.

Our D was doing pretty well with you, with little help from our offense. Then our offense just imploded. Sorry we couldn't give you more of a game. The proverbial shoe was on the other foot for the first time in sixty years. Just remember: it's much easier to climb that mountain than it is to stay up on that mountain.

See you next year.

Seamus
12/8/2011, 02:25 AM
I'll give you OU and Texas, but OSU has been a better program than Nebraska over the past decade. Look up the results if you don't believe me.

I did. My count was pretty quick and might not withstand a full audit, but going back to and including the 2000 season, I have it as 103 wins for Nebbish and 96 wins for Ewe Tech.

Idiot aggies.

sooneron
12/8/2011, 09:28 PM
I just hope they're (aggy) ready for the stomping next year. Bob doesn't lose to the same team twice very often and usually, the team the beat him prior feels the imprint of his heel the following year. Losing a ****load does not bode well for the agglets.

Mike isn't going anywhere and it's not because osewe is a "tier 1 " program. They're not. I would bet that Mike would like to build them to become one and then bail. hell, maybe for the neffel if he ever keeps the hillbilly in check...

BigTip
12/9/2011, 06:39 PM
Mike Gundy is getting ready to get a great big fat juicy raise via Boone Pickens. He ain't going nowhere.

Pickens would give Gundy a big raise just so he could puff his chest and say, "Look how much MY coach is making."

Pay Gundy a 4 million salary or so and.... boom! .....Tier one job. You don't even have to debate if it's a tier one program.

OSUAggie
12/12/2011, 05:50 PM

I think this is the 3rd straight year that "everything lined up" for us. OSU has the best record in the conference in the last 4 years. It's been since '08 that OU has managed a record better than OSU during conference play. The two programs are pretty evenly matched right now in regards to talent on the roster.

And we return 36 of 44 on the two deep. We will be fine.

sooneredaco
12/12/2011, 06:03 PM
Add Content

badger
12/12/2011, 06:06 PM
While I doubt Gundy goes anywhere, it looks like he wants more years and more money.

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OSU/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20111211_93_B7_ULNSic286992)

Four years remain on a seven-year, $15.7 million contract signed by Gundy in 2009. His current salary is $2.1 million - far less than the $5.1 million paid to Texas' Mack Brown this season and the $4.875 million paid to Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, and also less than the annual sum of $2.5 million reportedly paid to new Kansas coach Charlie Weis. At Arkansas, Bobby Petrino currently makes $3.56 million.

Gundy has not divulged what he is seeking monetarily, but it is believed that OSU's seventh-year coach may ask for a contract of at least 10 years. In December 2009, after only one season at Oklahoma State, men's basketball coach Travis Ford was given a new contract - a 10-year, $20.375 million deal.

Personally, I'd love for a school to put their foot down and say "You already have a contract. We'll extend it when it's closer to be due."

mdklatt
12/12/2011, 08:48 PM
Tier 1? FFS. oSu is a Tier 1 job if there's only one tier. A conference championship at a Tier 1 program is a mild disappointment; it's the greatest season in the history of ever at oSu. Tier 1 programs sell out their stadiums. Tier 1 programs have fan bases that extend more than 70 miles from their campus. Tier 1 programs have--heaven forbid--bandwagon fans, because that's how you sell out your stadium and have a national fan base. Tier 1 programs are competitive with their rivals--not once a decade, but year in and year out. Tier 1 programs have rivals that acknowledge them as an actual rival. Tier 1 programs have indoor practice facilities. Tier 1 programs are not dependent on a sugar daddy. Tier 1 programs act like they've been there, because they have. Gundy is doing a good job, and has them going in a positive direction, but Tier 1 they're not.

mdklatt
12/12/2011, 09:02 PM
I think your argument would be better stated that Gundy wants to make OSU a tier 1 program. He might just do it but that isn't done overnight or in 3 years.

THIS ^^^^

They win one conference championship, and now they think they're USC or something. Winning $50 on a lotto scratcher doesn't make you Warren Buffet. Give me a ****ing break.

P.S. All you OU fans who say nonsense like, "I root for oSu when they're not playing us" or "I wouldn't mind seeing another Oklahoma team win a championship", do you get it now? This. This is why you're wrong. They're annoying and delusional enough when they suck. They've had a couple of good years and now they're turning into Arkansas fans.

picasso
12/13/2011, 12:07 AM
LOL dude.

Just becuase you tell yourself that doesn't make it true.

Nothing I saw in the first half made me think we were going to lose. In fact, I turned to my friends after the first quarter ended at 10-0 and said, "I think we're going to blow them out." Pretty much everyone around me agreed.

It was clear the OU defense wasn't stopping us, and it was also clear that Landry wasn't sharp enough to keep up in a shootout.

You could find this exact sentiment, just copy/replace replace the names/details, after the 2009 season.
Most legit pokes I know where worried about the OU game. All the while knowing it was at home, against an injured and struggling Sooner team.
Congrats on your new found cockiness.

Sooner_Tuf
12/13/2011, 03:35 AM
If they knew anything about football they wouldn't be pokefans. After all what has there ever been to be a fan of?

It is deeper for them. It's about inferiority complexes larger than the Empire State Building. It's about being victims. It's so much more than sports.

kevpks
12/13/2011, 08:33 AM
I think this is the 3rd straight year that "everything lined up" for us. OSU has the best record in the conference in the last 4 years. It's been since '08 that OU has managed a record better than OSU during conference play. The two programs are pretty evenly matched right now in regards to talent on the roster.

And we return 36 of 44 on the two deep. We will be fine.

Really? I look forward to seeing those three Big XII titles on display. Oh and try playing in a conference title game in Nebraska or K-State's backyard they week after defeating a rival. It's not OSU's fault the conference it down to 10 but the CCG is an obstacle they were lucky not to face considering how much trouble K-State gave them this year.

oudavid1
12/13/2011, 02:05 PM
Mike is expected to win maybe 9 games a year, has a great deal(and getting extended too), he grew up here, went to OSU, has great donor(s), and is recruiting better than ever. He is the OSU version of Coach Owen, he is gonna be the first truly great coach at OSU. I mean Pat Jones was ok, but Gundy is starting something in Stillville and they are all behind him.

SoonerSpock
12/13/2011, 04:10 PM
Stoolwater has always been Mike's dream job. Personal satisfaction building OSU to an annual conference and national contender is probably his ultimate goal. Dollars are not an issue as Boone will assure Mike is paid appropriately and can not be bought away from Stoolwater.