PDA

View Full Version : Mangino to Colorado State ?

Lott's Bandana
12/5/2011, 01:58 AM
Fired their coach today.

This could be an opportunity for Mangino.
Next to Kansas, knows recruiting area, smaller school but has had some success.

Also could be an opportunity for a Coordinators' first HC job as well.

bluedogok
12/5/2011, 11:31 PM
Gary Barnett has been lobbying for the job. He is still here in the area and is on the local sports talk radio quite a bit.

yermom
12/5/2011, 11:55 PM
He is a horrible, horrible football coach.

AlbqSooner
12/6/2011, 08:39 AM
I don't recall what Mangino's record was against Colorado, but if he beat them regularly, he is a shoo-in. That is all the Rams care about.

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2011, 09:50 AM

How so, Mom?

Or is the sarcasm lamp lit?

Mad Dog Madsen
12/6/2011, 10:12 AM

I hope you were referring to Gary Barnett.

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2011, 10:18 AM
Oh...I see what you did there.

nm

TheHumanAlphabet
12/6/2011, 11:33 AM
Wasn't Gary Barnett hired for this job? The story I read seemed to make this point, perhaps it was a writer's wish...

bluedogok
12/6/2011, 11:36 PM
*** Also posted in the coaches thread.

On 102.3 The Ticket here in Denver they had a report tonight where Gary Barnett was told he was not a candidate for the Colorado State job. He was evidently told they wanted a "young gun" type of coach, so someone who is cheaper than someone of Barnett's experience. There was also much discussion on how many CSU alumni would have a hard time hiring a "CU Guy" as their head coach.

yermom
12/7/2011, 12:33 AM
I hope you were referring to Gary Barnett.

sorry, yeah, should have quoted

i may have the quote wrong, but it's close enough :D

PrideMom
12/7/2011, 12:35 PM
Kansas is probably wondering "what did they do?" Mangino created a program that took them to bowl games, packed the football stadium, and instead of addressing personality problems fired him. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid! Football is the MONEY program at an university, no basketball court holds 50,000 fans.

Same problem with Texas Tech and Mike Leach.....Don't tell me that what Leach did was worse than anything that Bobby Knight pulled!!

Lott's Bandana
12/7/2011, 01:13 PM
Mangino got KU recliners in the end zone.

that's awesome.

bluedogok
12/7/2011, 11:53 PM
Kansas is probably wondering "what did they do?" Mangino created a program that took them to bowl games, packed the football stadium, and instead of addressing personality problems fired him. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid! Football is the MONEY program at an university, no basketball court holds 50,000 fans.

Same problem with Texas Tech and Mike Leach.....Don't tell me that what Leach did was worse than anything that Bobby Knight pulled!!
The AD (Lew Perkins) that fired Mangino was also fired himself (he stated he was retiring) after a few other scandals including the basketball ticket office scandal. He was hired a year after Mangino was hired.

TanTanFeil
12/8/2011, 12:38 AM
Mangino got KU recliners in the end zone.

that's awesome.

Imagine what he will do at CSU. Recliners in the end zone with heated seats! Haha

Jason Alexander
12/8/2011, 01:36 AM
I hope CSU gets someone that can turn them into a potential Big XII member.

swardboy
12/8/2011, 10:52 AM
I recall the Rams being a very good program in the recent past. Beat Colorado as I recall. Unh....recalling, recalling......

Heck yeah: 2002: Beat Colorado AND Virginia.....on the same day. Wait.....powers of recall somewhat faulty.......

rock on sooner
12/8/2011, 12:10 PM
Last time CSU was a factor was late 70's and early 80's...Sark Arslanian was the coach...well thought of by the
community as a whole but eventually started losing more than winning and was gone. They got as high as AP #22,
I think. Big rivalry with Colorado...beat them some...and with Wyoming. Ft Collins is a terrific college town and
right in the foothills of the Rockies. I think a good recruiter could get the program going again. I wouldn't mind
seeing them in the big 12 but would rather have Air Force and BYU. We HAVE to get back to 12 teams.

badger
12/8/2011, 03:20 PM
I hope CSU gets someone that can turn them into a potential Big XII member.

Did Memphis just do that? I hope so... they're a school that doesn't have to lawsuit their conference to get into ours.

batonrougesooner
12/8/2011, 04:18 PM
Elevation of 5003 ft of Fort Carson, Colorado (according to google) would require some heavy breathing for Mr. Mangino.

rock on sooner
12/8/2011, 09:18 PM
Elevation of 5003 ft of Fort Carson, Colorado (according to google) would require some heavy breathing for Mr. Mangino. I think you mean Fort Collins....Carson is a military base outside of
Denver and yes, as a former runner in Ft Collins, the altitude, especially around Horsetooth Reservoir, which overlooks
the Rams' stadium, is a factor!

bluedogok
12/8/2011, 10:42 PM
I recall the Rams being a very good program in the recent past. Beat Colorado as I recall. Unh....recalling, recalling......

Heck yeah: 2002: Beat Colorado AND Virginia.....on the same day. Wait.....powers of recall somewhat faulty.......

Last time CSU was a factor was late 70's and early 80's...Sark Arslanian was the coach...well thought of by the community as a whole but eventually started losing more than winning and was gone. They got as high as AP #22, I think. Big rivalry with Colorado...beat them some...and with Wyoming. Ft Collins is a terrific college town and right in the foothills of the Rockies. I think a good recruiter could get the program going again. I wouldn't mind seeing them in the big 12 but would rather have Air Force and BYU. We HAVE to get back to 12 teams.
They had a pretty good run in the early 2000's (for them) when Sonny Lubick was the coach and Bradlee Van Pelt was the QB. They were a fun team to watch.

jwmann2
12/8/2011, 11:45 PM
Mangino would be a great match for the Rams. He took a program with little to no college football history and led them to an undefeated season. New Castle, PA's finest.

batonrougesooner
12/9/2011, 11:59 PM
I think you mean Fort Collins....Carson is a military base outside of
Denver and yes, as a former runner in Ft Collins, the altitude, especially around Horsetooth Reservoir, which overlooks
the Rams' stadium, is a factor!

Quit screwing up my stupid joke. :) That's what I meant....

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 12:16 AM
Potential Colorado State football coach hires
By Cris Tiller and Kevin Lytle (http://www.collegian.com/index.php/staff/cris_tiller_and_kevin_lytle) | RMSMC

New CSU Athletic Director Jack Graham is in the middle of arguably his biggest decision on the job and he isn’t taking any chances.
Graham refused to reveal any names or exactly where he is in the process of hiring the next head coach of the football team Thursday afternoon.
He remained adamant that the style of play of his next head coach has no factor in his decision and that he simply wants someone capable of inspiration for the program.
“I’m not trying to hire a coach that has a specific orientation toward an offensive team or a defensive team,” Graham said. “I’m looking for a head coach who has very, very strong leadership skills.”
But on Sunday after announcing the firing of Steve Fairchild, Graham alluded to his desire for a speed-oriented team.
Here are five potential candidates…

http://www.collegian.com/index.php/article/2011/12/potential_colorado_state_football_coach_hires