PDA

View Full Version : Did Stoops ever ice his own kicker?

SanJoaquinSooner
12/4/2011, 10:49 PM
and totally botch time management/use of timeouts like DeMarco Murray's coach did today?

That seriously could cost them a playoff spot.

nighttrain12
12/4/2011, 10:56 PM
Bob Stoops for the next Dallas Cowboys head coach?

bluedogok
12/4/2011, 11:07 PM
The only thing that I could think of was maybe one of the assistants upstairs saw what they thought would be a breakdown in the blocking scheme that could allow a kick block.

MeMyself&Me
12/4/2011, 11:35 PM
I was watching the end of that game. Two things that shocked me on that. When Dallas got the ball for the last time in the 4th quarter, there was enough time to NOT have to pass the ball every down, especially since they were not out of timeouts. Really thought they would try to run a bit. Afterall, the Cowboys started winning when the discovered Murray. But no, every play a Romo pass.

Good enough to get in range for a long field goal though with something like half a minute on the clock. Instead of calling a timeout to set up another play, they ran up to spike the ball which in process burned a hell of a lot of time off the clock.

When kicking for the field goal, DALLAS's coach called a timeout just before the snap. Ball still snapped and kicked, right through the uprights. Was shocked. Never seen a coach ice his own kicker. Second attempt, missed... and badly.

The entire episode reminded me of a Miles end of game management... without the unbelievable luck.

Breadburner
12/5/2011, 12:15 AM
Heh....Love it...!!

StoopTroup
12/5/2011, 12:28 AM
I don't know WTH Bob has to do with Dallas but I've seen Coaches call TO and that happen before it's pretty stupid when the kicker later misses but the reasons are usually solid for making the call....it just doesn't get in fast enough. Me?...I would rather just leave them the hell alone and let them kick it. Some don't. When it ends up like Dallas' did today...it's pretty easy to Monday Morning QB it.

SoonerNutt
12/5/2011, 11:14 AM
Garrett said he thought the play clock was running down, so he called the TO. I don't blame him. First, it has been well established that "icing" the kicker has no discernible impact on the success or failure of the kicks. Second, everybody on the field heard the whistle during the snap. It was nothing more than a practice kick with no defense trying to pressure. Third, Garrett didn't miss the kick.

I think this is one of those things where people try to generate faux-outrage over something that ultimately is minor. It's funny to me that everybody is up-in-arms over this, but I've heard nobody complain that right before that kick, the cowboys could have called a timout (they had 2 left) with 30 seconds left to try to get a little closer. Instead, they used almost all of the remaining clock to hurry up and spike the ball. Why not use your second TO, try to get 5-10 more yards and make it a much easier kick? It wasn't like they were in chip-shot range or anything. That was far more dumb than the fake-controversy everybody is talking about.

rekamrettuB
12/5/2011, 11:58 AM
The goof up was not using the timeouts to try and make a 48 yd FG into about a 35-38 yarder.

sooner59
12/5/2011, 12:32 PM
The goof up was not using the timeouts to try and make a 48 yd FG into about a 35-38 yarder.

This. I'm not sure what the hell they were taking so much time for instead of using TOs, saving clock, and gaining yards for a better kick.