PDA

View Full Version : Boycott The BCS National Title Game : Time To Send A Message

FaninAma
12/4/2011, 09:54 PM
Let's get this grass roots effort to voice the overwhelming fan opinion that the BCS sucks started.

Take the pledge and spread the word. Screw the status quo.

8timechamps
12/4/2011, 09:57 PM
IN

Sooner5030
12/4/2011, 09:58 PM
I wont boycott

but my personal time is scarce and no way will I watch a 9-3 snoozer in primetime

Ground_Attack
12/4/2011, 10:01 PM
I don't plan on watching it. I have some paint that is drying, though.

Taxman71
12/4/2011, 10:03 PM
Why boycott? OU has always benefited from the BCS due to our great tradition, just as Bama is doing now. Does any OU fan really want osu (or any other Big 12 team) to win a championship? How would that help OU? Whether you think they deserve it or not, be glad they are not in just like we took great pleasure in the horns losing to Bama in 2009.

Besides, win more than 1 conference title every 70 years before you demand respect.

FaninAma
12/4/2011, 10:15 PM
Taxman, this has nothing to do with OSU. I find it sad that some OU fans choose to defend a crappy system just because the team we support has benefitted in the past.

OU should never shy away from on-the-field competiton to determine the real champion. We are better than that.

Keller Sooner
12/4/2011, 10:16 PM
I won't watch it. I've already seen it once and that was plenty.

SoonernAR
12/4/2011, 10:26 PM
Anybody got a link to a website er something that could actually show the consolidation on this protest.......I'll sign.

TitoMorelli
12/4/2011, 10:32 PM
Fine. If you really want to send a message, stay home instead of bowl-tripping. Not just fans headed for the ncg or a BCS bowl, all of them. That's the only way you'll ever get their attention.

AlboSooner
12/4/2011, 10:35 PM
I'm no Poke fan. OU would have been in. Daddy OU has profited from the system more than anyone.

FaninAma
12/4/2011, 11:06 PM
So Albo, are you saying all those years OU was in the national title game they wouldn't have been in an 8 team playoff? In the years they played for a title they still would have played for a title.

But how about the years they won the conference and didn't get in the title game like 2002, 2006, 2007, 2010......... the current BCS kept them from having a chance to compete on the field for a title. So has the BCS actually helped the Sooners or hurt them?

AlboSooner
12/4/2011, 11:09 PM
So Albo, are you saying all those years OU was in the national title game they wouldn't have been in an 8 team playoff? In the years they played for a title they still would have played for a title.

But how about the years they won the conference and didn't get in the title game like 2002, 2006, 2007, 2010......... the current BCS kept them from having a chance to compete on the field for a title. So has the BCS actually helped the Sooners or hurt them?

I'm saying that as an OU fan I don't feel the need to boycott the BCS. It has served OU well. Am I in favor of a playoff? Yes. Do I want to boycott the BCS, especially in a year when OU didn't even sniff the NC game? I see no reason to do so.

An OSU fan may be more inclined to join your boycott, considering they got left out of the title game.

StoopTroup
12/4/2011, 11:16 PM
I'm not only gonna watch it...I think I'll wear an LSU hat during the game ;) and chew some grass and then LET ER RIP! I think I will DVR it and even watch it once a week so I can learn about the great SEC Defenses that we will be seeing. Then I can help Bob with his search for someone who can shut out every team they play. :tiger:

BASSooner
12/4/2011, 11:22 PM
Never liked the BCS and never will. Subject to soooooo much bias and the media is a huge player of it.

Two teams from the same conference in the same division who already played each other get to play each other in the national championship game? What a joke.

Let the conference dominos fall with 16 team conferences that will force a playoff. I'm in.

Soonerfan88
12/5/2011, 01:47 AM
I've been a staunch BCS supporter from the beginning, but today has ended it for me. If the regular season no longer really matters, then we might as well have a play-off. I would prefer only 4 teams but can live with 8. I can only hope they wouldn't keep adding more like they've done with basketball.

No, I won't be watching the title game and am still on the fence about the rest of the BCS games. However, I will be going to the Insight Bowl to support my team.

Lott's Bandana
12/5/2011, 02:09 AM
Anybody got a link to a website er something that could actually show the consolidation on this protest.......I'll sign.

Try a "cut and paste this on your status" post on Facebook. Write it really well, "share" it with all your friends and it could take off. But don't start it with that because most will skim over it. Start with KILL THE BCS - HERE'S HOW or something. That'l get football fans to read it.

If you mention specific sponsors like Tostitos or Allstate, it might carry even more weight.

Also, emphsize overall shiltty system not OSU being snubbed.

Might be fun to see if I end up seeing in on my FB.

En_Fuego
12/5/2011, 02:17 AM
The Sugar Bowl selection was a joke also.

Sooner_Tuf
12/5/2011, 02:19 AM
The BCS isn't perfect but its better than what we had before. So no I won't be taking any pledges or participating in any boycotts. I love college football so yes I will most likely be watching when Alabama and LSU square off in January.

Besides I haven't thrown a temper tantrum since I started school. First grade that is :D

PDXsooner
12/5/2011, 02:35 AM
Fan- so what's your genius solution that makes everyone happy and preserves all that is special about the game?

WA. Sooner
12/5/2011, 02:51 AM
BCS should have 3 human polls, 1 strength of schedule, and 6 computer polls. Make them all count the same so the media cant push their bias. I have no problems with the bcs except that it keeps changing to make human pollster happy. go back to the older version with bonus points for strength of schedules and don't count any of the lower division wins into the equation.

Lott's Bandana
12/5/2011, 02:56 AM
BCS should have 3 human polls, 1 strength of schedule, and 6 computer polls. Make them all count the same so the media cant push their bias. I have no problems with the bcs except that it keeps changing to make human pollster happy. go back to the older version with bonus points for strength of schedules and don't count any of the lower division wins into the equation.

As long as the computer methods of calculations are kept secret, the system is simply a tool, not a system.

LASooner
12/5/2011, 03:24 AM
I live on the west coast, it will be half way over by the time I get home, so I doubt I would have watched it anyway.

SOFSooner
12/5/2011, 04:07 AM
Even though we have limited options of things to watch on AFN, I can guarantee that I will not watch another snoozefest that was the first game. I think that since Alabama has already had their shot at LSU and lost, another team should have a chance to play them. I think that I will watch dust gather in the corners, it is more exciting.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2011, 05:39 AM
Too late - I've already added the game to my calendar program and can't figure out how to delete it.

Doged
12/5/2011, 08:52 AM
I'm not gonna' boycott the championship game, but I have absolutely no interest in watching it, either, so will likely skip it.

SoonerMarkVA
12/5/2011, 08:59 AM
No worries there. I rarely watch any of the bowls that OU isn't in, and I can't remember the last time I watched a bowl that didn't have a XII team in it. So, count me out.

sooner_born_1960
12/5/2011, 09:00 AM
I've been a staunch BCS supporter from the beginning, but today has ended it for me. If the regular season no longer really matters, then we might as well have a play-off. I would prefer only 4 teams but can live with 8. I can only hope they wouldn't keep adding more like they've done with basketball.

No, I won't be watching the title game and am still on the fence about the rest of the BCS games. However, I will be going to the Insight Bowl to support my team.
Is it the fact that the numbers one and two ranked teams are in the championship game that has you so upset with the BCS system?

Sooner95
12/5/2011, 09:01 AM
The Sugar Bowl selection was a joke also.

This

Jack T.
12/5/2011, 09:03 AM
Mark another one up on the "I won't bother with watching" list. Not terribly concerned that OState didn't get in (and getting less concerned the more OState fans gloat), but I, like others, rarely watch non-Big 12 bowl games.

badger
12/5/2011, 09:09 AM
I don't care.

delhalew
12/5/2011, 09:15 AM
Well, I'm not going to watch it. They may have screwed up, given that 80% of people thought the Pokes should go.

PDXsooner
12/5/2011, 09:20 AM
First off, if you're a big enough college football fan to register and post on a college football themed website, you're gonna watch the national title...so stop with the boycott nonsense.

Secondly, I'm disappointed that OSU isn't in it but if you want to be mad about something be mad at the fact that the only reason they aren't in it is because they lost to IOWA STATE!! And someone said the regular season doesn't matter??? Ha ha ha!!!

sooner_born_1960
12/5/2011, 09:25 AM
I guess I'm just a 20%er.

delhalew
12/5/2011, 09:29 AM
No. Really. I have better things to do with my time.

TUSooner
12/5/2011, 09:31 AM
I don't care.

Yep. By the time January 9 rolls around - more than a month from now -- the CFB season will be a faded memory. I'll probably watch a bit of the game out of curiosity, and, in the end, root half-heartedly against LSU. But I really won't give a damn. I'll be more concerned about not staying up too late so I can be alert at work the next day.

As for the BCS: Face it, it's insignificantly less of a popularity contest than the pre-BCS system. The Anointed choose the teams they think are the 2 best, and all the other bowls just go for the money; the other games are meaningless except to the fans of the teams in the games.

Either there is a playoff with 8 or more teams, where the teams that actually WIN will advance, regardless of the opinions of the Anointed (and in which the subjective human-opinion factor is at least diluted in the selection process). Or there is a game like the one this year, between teams that a perversely SEC-biased groupthink insists we must see.

IndySooner
12/5/2011, 09:45 AM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/200807726668980/

PDXsooner
12/5/2011, 09:48 AM
No. Really. I have better things to do with my time.like what? Post a few messages on here? You're not that busy.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/5/2011, 09:51 AM
I'm going to watch it..Can grade out some players and get a lot of work done with that many defensive 1st-2nd round players on the field.

CowboyMRW
12/5/2011, 09:56 AM
Bedlam Basketball is that night so there's always that to tune into.

NormanPride
12/5/2011, 10:04 AM
Dammit, BCS... Don't **** with our little brother. That's our job. This pisses me off.

Don't just boycott the BCS, hit them where it hurts - the sponsors. If even a hundred people send well written, concerned messages to the sponsors, there will be a reaction.

badger
12/5/2011, 10:07 AM
First off, if you're a big enough college football fan to register and post on a college football themed website, you're gonna watch the national title...so stop with the boycott nonsense.

Not necessarily. That game'll be on pretty late on a week night if it's like last year. The Ducks and Barner game went pretty late and I was very tempted to not watch the rest of a close, exciting title game last year with a lot more scoring than 9-6 OT in the first Bammer/Lester matchup.

If it's a week night and it's a late night, I would probably not bother with the second half, perhaps not the first half either. I'm a football fan, but that doesn't mean I watch every game.

delhalew
12/5/2011, 10:08 AM
like what? Post a few messages on here? You're not that busy.

YOU DON'T KNOW ME! ;)
I'll probably be working. If not I'll play with the kids, and do the wife.

sooner_born_1960
Little brother? The metaphor is so wrong, I don't know where to begin.

CowboyMRW
To be honest, it's not even really a boycott for some people. It's just the general disinterest in the game. We've already seen the "Game of the Century". Yea, both teams had great defenses but defenses did not win that game. **** poor throws and dropped passes, not to mention the 4 missed FG's lost it.

And LOL at Saban saying they had a complete team. If they did they would be 12-0

Taxman71
12/5/2011, 10:10 AM
Why would OU fans boycott a system that clearly favors us above all but a handful of schools? Until a playoff system is enacted, there is no better system. Without the BCS computer rankings, there would be little controversy....clearly the nation thought Bama was the better team.

And let's be clear, the 80% that are mad at the BCS do NOT think osu is better than Bama, they just don't want a rematch or another SEC title. I understand that, but I also understand the importance of having the two best teams in the title game and that is clearly what we have.

What if the % were slightly different in 2008 and we were slightly behind the horns, yet ahead of the Gators (who lost to average Ole Miss). Would we deserve a rematch against Mack and Co.? We would have clearly been in the top 2 in the country.

Breadburner
12/5/2011, 10:13 AM
The two best teams are playing for the NC.....

Hot Rod
12/5/2011, 11:00 AM
The two best SEC teams are playing for the NC.....

Bama's defense is so good, it beat 6 teams in the bottom 25 of the total offense.

OSU's defense is so good, it beat 6 teams in the top 25 of the total offense.

Just sayin'...

delhalew
12/5/2011, 11:03 AM
Records don't matter. Your "eye test" is infallible. Let's replace the BCS with Rock, Paper, and Scissors.

FaninAma
12/5/2011, 11:24 AM
Fan- so what's your genius solution that makes everyone happy and preserves all that is special about the game?

Oh, I don't know......how about allowing the champion to be determined on the field like in every other level of organized football from highschool to the pro's. Seems to work for them.

Anybody who is a fan of this bastardized method of determing the BCS "champion" is not a true sports fan. Synchronized swimming would seem more their cup of tea since
They apparently love subjective human opinion being the major determinant of the winner.

SoonerKnight
12/5/2011, 11:25 AM
I am suprised so many people are in support of this crap. First of all when we went to the MNC we were conference champs except 2004. We had the better record because we had the quality of wins. Especially in 2008 when we got the nod over saxet. We have not benefitted sooooo much from the system as some are trying to argue. We have gotten into the game when we deserved to!

OSU beat a lot of quality teams and they did what they had to do to win the conference. A conference that is pretty damn good! Alabama is in the same division as LSU they did not play for their conference championship because they did not get it don on the field. The failed to execute when needed and lost a boring game. The idea that they are the two best teams is a bunch of hyped up bull**** and shows the system is rigged. OSU should have been voted to #2 simply because they are a team from another conference and champions of that conference.

No, I will not watch this game and the idea that anyone outsideof Bamma and LSU fans wanted this is stupid. Most college fans I would like to think would like to see two different conference champions play for the trophy. Who is to say that OSU could not put 50 on LSU. They play a good defense but you never know until you play the game and I always heard thats why you do play the game. Now LSU may be the champions no matter what. What kind of stupid childish crap is this. We need to get rid of the BCS and somehow the ESPN spn machine needs to be removed from the equation.

FaninAma
12/5/2011, 11:27 AM

Please give specific OBJECTIVE criteria that support youR opinion.

Taxman, that's the whole point behind boycotting the BCS.....show ESPN and those who control the game that the fans are tired of this system and ready to go to a playoff.

Accepting this garbage and acting like there isn't a better system is why it continues to be perpetuated.

Knight, a small minority pf fans support the BCS. They just are very vocal and have bought into the Bowl propaganda that a playoff would kill a good thing.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2011, 11:30 AM
But I have no problem with the match-up and I want to watch the game.

FaninAma
12/5/2011, 11:47 AM
But I have no problem with the match-up and I want to watch the game.

So do you like the BCS or would you like to see a playoff?

Those of us who think there is a better way to determine the champion of a multi-billion dollar sport/enterprise feel that expressing our opinion is the only way change will happen. If you are happy with the status-quo then by all means support it with your viewership.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2011, 12:16 PM
So do you like the BCS or would you like to see a playoff?

Those of us who think there is a better way to determine the champion of a multi-billion dollar sport/enterprise feel that expressing our opinion is the only way change will happen. If you are happy with the status-quo then by all means support it with your viewership.

I think some form of playoff is coming eventually, but all the teams signed up for the BCS process for this year, so have to live with it. It's just sport/entertainment to me, so hard to get too worked up about it. The match-up has entertainment potential - I'd be fine with OSU in there as well. I certainly don't feel the need to "occupy" anything. Those billions of dollar you mention along with the TV contracts and the conference chaos it causes are far more destructive to the sport than the BCS, but that's reality too. I do like the BCS a little better than the previous bowl method - but just a little. The Bama/LSU match-up is certainly intriguing enough for me to tune in unless I find something better to do.

Breadburner
12/5/2011, 12:19 PM
Should be a great NC....Would have been fun watching OSU getting blown out though.....

PDXsooner
12/5/2011, 01:12 PM
YOU DON'T KNOW ME! ;)
I'll probably be working. If not I'll play with the kids, and do the wife.

Now THAT makes sense!

PDXsooner
12/5/2011, 01:15 PM
Oh, I don't know......how about allowing the champion to be determined on the field like in every other level of organized football from highschool to the pro's. Seems to work for them.

So, in other words - because everyone else is doing it? Not good enough. Other sports allow you to lose a few games and not be punished. You always have the playoffs to redeem yourself. College Football is different. Lose and you have essentially thrown your destiny to the system.

However, if you win each and every week, you will play for it all. In essence, every week is a playoff game. That is what makes this game special and you have no problem flushing that part down the toilet. No thanks.

En_Fuego
12/5/2011, 01:18 PM
Who wants to watch 2 teams that play like a 3 legged dog trying to cover up a turd on a frozen pond. SEC SEC DEFENSE

FaninAma
12/5/2011, 01:41 PM
PDX, every week is a playoff game....really? When was the last time you saw a team lose in the playoffs then turn around and get to play the team that beat them in the championship game?

Lott's Bandana
12/5/2011, 05:22 PM

You simply cannot prove that.

Lott's Bandana
12/5/2011, 05:24 PM
By the way, it is a BCS Championship, not a National Championship. Don't forget that.

There is no National Championship Game.

My Mythical National Champion is already LSU, regardless of what happens in the upcoming re-exhibition game.

Breadburner
12/5/2011, 05:26 PM
You simply cannot prove that.

I dont have too....