PDA

View Full Version : Is osu's season more disappointing than OU's?

Crimsontothecore
12/4/2011, 09:07 PM
If you really think about it, osu had a window of opportunity opened up very wide right in front of them at the start of the season. They had their two best years in school history thanks to hitting pay dirt with Weeden and one of the nations best receivers in Blackmon. And by pure luck and chance Weeden and Blackmon never had to step onto Owen field to play two average OU teams. Top it off with Texas being way down and the absence of Nebraska and the path to the title game was wide and smooth. But then Iowa state happened and the chance of a lifetime was squandered. With Weeden, Blackmon, and others gone, and the likely hood that Texas will be back coupled with the reality of actually having to face OU away from stillwater, It was an opportunity that may never present itself again.

Then again, the announcers said that Weeden stated he would rather beat OU than play for a national title so maybe they aren't disappointed after all.

trwxxa
12/4/2011, 09:15 PM
Uh, no. We had our window this year and lost to tech (not going to a bowl) and Baylor (should not be in the Big XII). Let that sink in.

Plus OSU is going to a BCS game for the 1st time. No disappointment there.

IBleedCrimson
12/4/2011, 09:18 PM
First conference championship, nationally televised OU beatdown, first BCS bowl bid...

Yeah, all that sounds terrible.

Okie35
12/4/2011, 09:18 PM
It's bittersweet. This might've been their only chance at an MNC title game for a WHILE but they've still accomplished a lot that they haven't this year.

Crimsontothecore
12/4/2011, 09:22 PM
First conference championship, nationally televised OU beatdown, first BCS bowl bid...

Yeah, all that sounds terrible.

My point is OU can expect to have the opportunity with regularity as we've seen ove the last 13 years. The OU teams over the last two years were not labeled "best in program history" like osu's. Plus, none of OU's conference titles were won on Owen field.

WA. Sooner
12/4/2011, 09:24 PM
loose to baylor
end long home winning streak
no bcs bowl

sooner59
12/4/2011, 09:28 PM
What a dumb thread.

OUmillenium
12/4/2011, 09:29 PM
?

Its OSUs greatest season ever, first BCS game, and maybe their best beatdown of OU in the modern era.

They play a one game season every year anyway.

MeMyself&Me
12/4/2011, 09:33 PM
Uh, on. OU expected to be in the national championship game. OSU hoped to be in the national championship game. BIG difference.

SoonerMom2
12/4/2011, 09:36 PM
Weeden would rather beat OU then go to the National Championship? Shows a program that has won little over the years. Not many quarterbacks would say that but then not many quarterbacks are approaching 30 either. Not too many brains there to say that. Boone wants an investigation in the BCS and Weeden would rather beat OU than go the National Championship -- you cannot make this stuff up!

So happy to be a Sooner fan! Wouldn't do well putting up with dumb comments!

picasso
12/4/2011, 09:43 PM
My point is OU can expect to have the opportunity with regularity as we've seen ove the last 13 years. The OU teams over the last two years were not labeled "best in program history" like osu's. Plus, none of OU's conference titles were won on Owen field.
I see what you're saying and I tend to agree this may have been their only real shot at it until Jesus comes back.

SoonerorLater
12/4/2011, 09:45 PM
Re: Is osu's season more disappointing than OU's?

This is the lifetime high water mark for the OSU program.

sooneredaco
12/4/2011, 09:48 PM
I must admit, I do like the fact they got effed in the goat a$$

8timechamps
12/4/2011, 09:48 PM
If I were a Cowboy fan, I'd be taking it all in. Because in reality, it's not going to line up for them again like this again.

BrockLanders
12/4/2011, 10:04 PM
No. F No. No F'n way. No team's season is more disappointing than OU's. This includes the Philly Eagles.

SoonerShark
12/4/2011, 10:23 PM
No.

Sooner_Tuf
12/4/2011, 10:50 PM
No way. OSU reached new heights as a program this year. They are used to getting no respect so that's not new and doesn't take the shine off a Conference Championship and BCS Game.

Keller Sooner
12/4/2011, 11:33 PM
They won the Big12, made their first BCS bowl, went 11-1 and kicked the ever loving crap out of us. I guess I fail to understand the question.

Peeb
12/5/2011, 12:33 AM
You might be right about OSU- might never happen again.

Might never happen for OU again either.

In reality, I expect both programs to remain elite for many years to come.

If I were a Cowboy fan, I'd be taking it all in. Because in reality, it's not going to line up for them again like this again.

thecrimsoncrusader
12/5/2011, 09:20 AM
You might be right about OSU- might never happen again.

Might never happen for OU again either.

In reality, I expect both programs to remain elite for many years to come.

OSU doesn't have an elite program, they just so happened to field an elite team this season. There's a big difference between team and program and Oklahoma St. right now is still defined by teams, not as a program.

Peeb
12/5/2011, 07:43 PM
OSU doesn't have an elite program, they just so happened to field an elite team this season. There's a big difference between team and program and Oklahoma St. right now is still defined by teams, not as a program.
Trust me, it makes our job in Stillwater SO much easier when you and yours say things just like that to yourselves.

Seriously, pay us no mind- this year was a fluke. It's no big. ;)

Jacie
12/5/2011, 08:19 PM
Peeb, maybe you're right, maybe I'm-a-man Gundy has a program that will see continued success on par with what has occurred in 2010 and 2011.

But for you to ignore that history suggests otherwise insults the posters who made valid points.

Either the perfect storm occurred in Stillwater this season or there are some really great redshirts waiting in the wings there . . .

Peeb
12/5/2011, 08:31 PM
Peeb, maybe you're right, maybe I'm-a-man Gundy has a program that will see continued success on par with what has occurred in 2010 and 2011.

But for you to ignore that history suggests otherwise insults the posters who made valid points.
. . .

Look, no disrespect or insult was remotely intended. If my opinion that both programs are and will go forward as elite programs is an insult to my crimson friends, I shall keep it to myself. Be well.

Wow. :dejection:

SoonerMom2
12/5/2011, 09:02 PM
OSU is not having a good Sunday and now Monday -- Heisman invites just came out in an ESPN email:

ESPN NCAAF - Heisman finalists: QB R. Griffin, QB A. Luck, RB M. Ball, RB T. Richardson, CB T. Mathieu

No Weeden listed!

Peeb
12/5/2011, 09:45 PM
It's an honor that his omission is even noted. No one gave the old geezer a second thought a couple of months ago!

It's fine. We did place 3 Pokes on the 1st team All-American list earlier today. It's all good.

OSU is not having a good Sunday and now Monday -- Heisman invites just came out in an ESPN email:

ESPN NCAAF - Heisman finalists: QB R. Griffin, QB A. Luck, RB M. Ball, RB T. Richardson, CB T. Mathieu

No Weeden listed!

NYC Poke
12/5/2011, 09:53 PM
I will say that the day of the Iowa State loss was one of the most difficult ever as a Cowboy fan. Coach Budke was a really popular figure on campus in his own right, and it brought back many memories of the plane crash with the men's bball team 10 years ago. And then there was what happened on the field that evening, the way it happened, the circumstances, etc. Sigh.

But this has been a great season for us. Our best season ever.

And to reiterate what Peeb has said, anyone who thinks we're going away after this season haven't been paying close attention lately.

MeMyself&Me
12/5/2011, 10:10 PM
And to reiterate what Peeb has said, anyone who thinks we're going away after this season haven't been paying close attention lately.

I guess I haven't been paying close attention cause I thought Weeden and Blackmon were gone after this year.

OUInformant
12/5/2011, 10:13 PM
What?

Our season was a virtual disaster, well maybe not a disaster, but bad.

Peeb
12/5/2011, 10:22 PM
I guess I haven't been paying close attention cause I thought Weeden and Blackmon were gone after this year.Maybe they are the only reason we won anything this year.

But maybe not.

Tune in and see! ;)

MeMyself&Me
12/5/2011, 10:28 PM
Maybe they are the only reason we won anything this year.

But maybe not.

Tune in and see! ;)

I'm not saying OSU is going to fall to last place in the Big 12. Just saying they're not even in the discussion for the Big 12 title next year... or the year after that for that matter.

Pokes had a good year. Congrats. Let's not get carried away.

FaninAma
12/5/2011, 10:39 PM
I wonder how things might have turned out if they had played Baylor, KSU and OU away from Stillwater.

kbsooner21
12/5/2011, 10:41 PM
Hell no

kbsooner21
12/5/2011, 10:42 PM
I wonder how things might have turned out if they had played Baylor, KSU and OU away from Stillwater.

Exactly how it turned out by playing them in Stoolwater.

NYC Poke
12/5/2011, 10:46 PM
I guess I haven't been paying close attention cause I thought Weeden and Blackmon were gone after this year.

And Zac Robinson and Dez Bryant were gone before that. They set some records, too.

MeMyself&Me
12/5/2011, 11:00 PM
And Zac Robinson and Dez Bryant were gone before that. They set some records, too.

How often did they beat OU and Texas?

Peeb
12/5/2011, 11:19 PM
I wonder how things might have turned out if they had played Baylor, KSU and OU away from Stillwater.I thought "what if" and "wait-til-next-year" were the exclusive domain of the Cowboys. You'll each need to pay us a quarter each time you utter those phrases. :D

Peeb
12/5/2011, 11:22 PM
I'm not saying OSU is going to fall to last place in the Big 12. Just saying they're not even in the discussion for the Big 12 title next year... or the year after that for that matter.

Pokes had a good year. Congrats. Let's not get carried away.Oh I agree that the Sooners should ABSOLUTELY NOT panic or pay us any mind!

It would be unwise to consider us a factor for next year. Your time is better spent on other matters. :D

NYC Poke
12/5/2011, 11:27 PM
How often did they beat OU and Texas?

None, but they still both set records (and I will remind you that Dez didn't get to play most of the '09 season because he got jobbed by the NCeffingAA). And when they left many people, including many on this board, said we would collapse without them. Look it up. Many sportswriters picked us to finish last in the Big XII South (remember that?) last year.

We have been favored to win against OU the last 3 years in a row now. The fact that we've only won one is a credit to Stoops, his players, and his staff. But we're not a flash in the pan any more.

oSuJeff1997
12/6/2011, 11:47 AM
It's funny how expectations ebb and flow throughout a season.

I felt like the Iowa State was a stomach-punch loss because playing for the national title was within reach. But at the same time, OSU winning the Big 12 and going to its first ever BCS bowl is a MAJOR accomplishment.

I remember at the start of this season, many people were saying that OSU might be a better team this year than 2010, but have a worse record given the brutal road schedule (@A&M, @Texas, @Mizzou, @Tech).

I personally thought we'd drop at least a couple of those big road games and that if we could manage another 10-win season it would be a great accomplishment.

So at the end of the day, I'm ecstatically happy with 11-1 and Big 12 champs. I don't think "disappointing" can describe OSU's season in any way, shape or form.

soonercastor
12/6/2011, 12:50 PM
wtf is this sh*t?

Bourbon St Sooner
12/6/2011, 01:04 PM
2011 aggie = 1991 Ga Tech

Except 1991 Ga Tech won a title.

marfacowboy
12/6/2011, 01:23 PM
From ESPN (http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/story/_/id/7321632/oklahoma-sooners-lot-correct-insight-bowl):

"the Sooners are in danger of finishing with the lowest AP ranking of a preseason No. 1 in the history of the poll. And even with a victory in the Insight Bowl over Iowa, probably the worst final ranking of a preseason No. 1 since 1960."

That's pretty bad.

MamaMia
12/6/2011, 01:32 PM
If I had a choice between getting screwed or stinking up the field, I'd take getting screwed by someone other than ourselves.

hyoctane23
12/6/2011, 02:56 PM
Does anyone have one of those "demotivational posters" for the butt pokers??