PDA

View Full Version : I Like Mike Gundy

Serge Ibaka
12/4/2011, 08:45 PM
That dude is the definition of class.

If Les Miles were coaching this OSU team, I would have spent the entire night laughing and sending antagonistic-texts to my Poke-buddies.

But tonight, I actually feel pretty bad for Stillwater-folk. I'm surprised (and troubled) by all of these warm-fuzzies that I'm feeling for Okie State.

8timechamps
12/4/2011, 08:47 PM
It's hard not to like him. He's an Oklahoma boy, and he's in his dream job. He believes in his team and seems to be a good Xs and Os coach. It's hard for me to like opposing coaches, especially from Stillwater. But, I agree. He's a good guy.

8timechamps
Oh, and BTW, I'm now going to pour bleach over my brain.

colleyvillesooner
he is a good guy, Poke or not.

it's still funny.

GDC
12/4/2011, 08:50 PM
**** Mike Gundy.

colleyvillesooner
12/4/2011, 08:52 PM
That's the GDC i love!

8timechamps
12/4/2011, 08:53 PM
**** Mike Gundy.

I didn't realize that "LOVE" was a censored word on this board. Weird.

GDC
12/4/2011, 08:55 PM
I didn't realize that "LOVE" was a censored word on this board. Weird.

Well, there's no "heart" smilie. :texan:

picasso
12/4/2011, 08:56 PM
I gotta say he doesn't come off as arrogant as he really is. I know a current coach who was with the pokes when Miles was there and at LSU briefly with Lester. He said Gundy was usually pissing and moaning about the Lester.

8timechamps
12/4/2011, 08:57 PM
Well, there's no "heart" smilie. :texan:

Touche

Okie35
12/4/2011, 09:03 PM
Well, I applaud him for not having a fit about not being there. The whole "would your rather see a 9-6 game or a 39-36 game" and saying he'd launch an investigation against the BCS if he wasn't there wasn't classy.

poke4christ
12/4/2011, 09:08 PM
Well, I applaud him for not having a fit about not being there. The whole "would your rather see a 9-6 game or a 39-36 game" and saying he'd launch an investigation against the BCS if he wasn't there wasn't classy.

Gundy never said anything about an investigation. That was Boone.

Soonerus
12/4/2011, 09:09 PM
Gundy is OK...

SoonerorLater
12/4/2011, 09:37 PM
I gotta say he doesn't come off as arrogant as he really is. I know a current coach who was with the pokes when Miles was there and at LSU briefly with Lester. He said Gundy was usually pissing and moaning about the Lester.

but don't we all?

Okie35
12/4/2011, 09:39 PM
Gundy never said anything about an investigation. That was Boone.

Oh well then I take it back.

picasso
12/4/2011, 09:39 PM
but don't we all?
Agreed! But Miles had no choice in hiring Gundy.

Sooner70
12/4/2011, 09:44 PM
Plus he's got Boone bankrolling stuff. I guess they get along OK. I'm sure Boone is OK with his boys taking Sooners to the woodshead.

OUmillenium
12/4/2011, 09:45 PM
He is giving a great interview on ESPN right now.

Cheerin' 4 OU
12/4/2011, 09:46 PM
I like Gundy enough, I guess, but the guy fired someone for wearing an OU shirt to his house to do some repairs before football season. That's petty (and I guess it's petty for me not to be in awe of him because of it), but gyah, the guy *never* smiles.

So, I don't hate him, but I don't love him either. Blech.

SicEmBaylor
12/4/2011, 09:52 PM
I didn't care for him for a long time, but he has really grown on me the last few years. I admire that he's a homegrown guy coaching for his alma mater as his dream job. I think that makes a lot of difference to recruits because he clearly loves his school, is extremely loyal, and recruits can be sure he'll be there for as long as OSU wants to keep him. Err...as long as Boone wants him there.

SoonerorLater
12/4/2011, 09:53 PM
Re: I Like Mike Gundy

Oh, I sort of like Mike Gundy's hair. My wife wanted me to get my hair cut like that. I tried but it just sort of ended up looking like I hadn't combed or washed it in a while. It didn't stand up right either.

Indy Sooner
12/4/2011, 10:00 PM
He's a man.

sooneredaco
12/4/2011, 10:02 PM
No thanks. I'll pass on a guy that makes millions and fires a construction guy for wearing an OU BASKETBALL shirt!!! I suppose that's classy to some. Not wear I grew up. Get the eff over your junior high attitude and go bone a goat

SoonerNate
12/4/2011, 10:03 PM
He seems like an upstanding guy but his accent makes my hair hurt. I also don't get the whole spray tan and hair gel look.

champions77
12/4/2011, 10:15 PM
class act? Sorry but shouting down a reporter in front of a media conference and going berserk on a trim carpenter who was wearing an OU baseball shirt while screaming and shouting fbombs is not my defintion of "class".

Probably one of the biggest OU haters around. No telling how much the jerk negative recruits OU.

Soonerjeepman
12/4/2011, 10:29 PM
ok....I'm confused...was it an OU BASEBALL or BASKETBALL...or women's golf shirt?

BajaOklahoma
12/4/2011, 10:29 PM
No thanks. I'll pass on a guy that makes millions and fires a construction guy for wearing an OU BASKETBALL shirt!!! I suppose that's classy to some. Not wear I grew up. Get the eff over your junior high attitude and go bone a goat

I agree with all except the last five words.

Neath a Western Sky
12/4/2011, 10:32 PM
If we had to lose to them, I'm glad he's the coach. Good guy, Oklahoma boy, and I've never heard him disparage us, at least publicly. Good luck to Mike.

SoonernAR
12/4/2011, 10:32 PM
Gundy did come off as a jackass early in his career, but he seems alot more mature and is taking the success humbly.

Serge Ibaka
12/4/2011, 11:10 PM
class act? Sorry but shouting down a reporter in front of a media conference and going berserk on a trim carpenter who was wearing an OU baseball shirt while screaming and shouting fbombs is not my defintion of "class".

Probably one of the biggest OU haters around. No telling how much the jerk negative recruits OU.

Are the reports regarding the OU-loving-contractor correct? I thought it was still in contention. Sad affair is so.

As for the Jenny Carlson/Oklahoman episode: I love that it happened. The parties deserved every bit of his tirade, and it was important for him to stick up for his guys. The entire thing was beautiful--what's there to dislike?

"...makes me wanna puke." :offended:

SoonerMarkVA
12/5/2011, 08:35 AM
Other than his deeply flawed rant about being a man, he has carried himself pretty well. He's achieved their greatest heights since WWII, and that's worthy of respect. Now let's see if he can sustain it.

Sooner70
12/7/2011, 07:06 AM
Gundy seems to have grown in his job. Presented himself well to media the other nite post game. Took the high road as they say. Not much sour grapes there. Sorta like the Stoops "...it is what it is" approach to disappointment.

I did read an interesting article about the Bobby Reid thing that resulted in the " I'm a MAN" tirade. Reid probably had sour grapes, so take it with a grain of salt, but both he and his mother indicated that that whole thing was a contrived thing on Gundy's part. Not much essence there, and that's part of why Reid finally left OSU. Oh well......he must be a pretty good coach.

Maybe they should change their name to CowMEN now since they're all grown up and no longer CowBOYS. That kind of thing woud have to pass the Boone test, though.

lexred
12/7/2011, 08:26 AM
I'll bet the Gundy family get-togathers are a hoot. Mike at OSU, Cale at OU. neice, Savanna Long played softball at OU and her dad baseball at OSU. As I remember, Mike committed to play QB at OU then switched to OSU after "the King" signed several other QBs. They are a great Oklahoma family.

OhU1
12/7/2011, 09:13 AM
He's 40. Hey, he's not a kid! Come after him, not one of his athletes!

I like Mike. He has his flaws, who doesn't?

PrideMom
12/7/2011, 12:36 PM
This belongs on the OSU web-site...

IB4OU2
12/7/2011, 12:52 PM
Gundy seems to have grown in his job. Presented himself well to media the other nite post game. Took the high road as they say. Not much sour grapes there. Sorta like the Stoops "...it is what it is" approach to disappointment.

I did read an interesting article about the Bobby Reid thing that resulted in the " I'm a MAN" tirade. Reid probably had sour grapes, so take it with a grain of salt, but both he and his mother of children indicated that that whole thing was a contrived thing on Gundy's part. Not much essence there, and that's part of why Reid finally left OSU. Oh well......he must be a pretty good coach.

Maybe they should change their name to CowMEN now since they're all grown up and no longer CowBOYS. That kind of thing woud have to pass the Boone test, though.

FIFY

cvsooner
12/7/2011, 01:04 PM
ok....I'm confused...was it an OU BASEBALL or BASKETBALL...or women's golf shirt?Baseball.

sooneredaco
12/7/2011, 01:11 PM
This belongs on the OSU web-site...

^^
most valuable post on this thread

StoopTroup
12/7/2011, 01:28 PM
Gundy is OK. I mean his Brother is one of our Coaches. Thing is...I don't feel sorry for Poke Fans. Everyone of them I have talked to agree that if they wanted to get in the MNC....they should have won that ISU game.

I respect Mike for having that attitude. Boone? Not so much. Even though Mike might be leaning towards saying he's disappointed his Team didn't get a shot...he said congrats to Miles and Saban like a MAN. :D

Once things are settled, they are settled. This whole "I feel bad for the Pokes thing, I don't get. I seriously doubt anyone would have felt that way if we had dropped the Tech Game and won the Baylor and oSu game and gotten in that we would be getting good press. The BCS and the voters really did exactly what the Coaches and really the fans all think is right and have felt is right for years. If you are going to lose and still get into the MNC....do it early. oSu did it late and Bama lost to the Team that ended up #1 in the polls. They lost to them in a close game Nov 5th and oSu lost a close game in OT to a fairly good Team (Not the #1 Team) 2 weeks later on November 18th. The votes all came in just about how it ought to have been....close and in Bama's favor. Had oSu gone to a BCS Bowl the year before or even won their Conference Championship last year...they would have started out higher than 9th in the pre-season poll. The loss to ISU dropped them deep. They hurt themselves and I feel bad that they let that game go in Ames, but at the time it was going to allow OU to play for the Conference Championship so I applauded their loss then.

No way I will ever feel sorry for them. Hey, Next year they will be ranked a bit higher in the pre-season if they beat Standford and they will have a nice Trophy in their Trophy Room to be proud of finally. The BCS Trophies are nice and the more you have the better. Anyone who's seen the Switzer Center knows how cool it is and just how impressive it is when you are a recruit. Nobody in the Big XII has amassed a nicer collection of Trophies than OU. Maybe this is the start of something for them....but I kind of doubt it. Gundy has done a good job with this Team and he deserves to play in a BCS Bowl. Congrats to them.

Lott's Bandana
12/7/2011, 01:41 PM
TBP is staring his mortality in the face after spending a GNP on the new facilities to see aggy win a NC before he dies.

Of course he wants an investigation. Next year isn't going to be this year.

Ad infinitum.

goingoneight
12/7/2011, 02:05 PM
I still say the presser rant seemed a little aggyish of him... but he's sustained great success there and that's not the easiest job. He has a good eye for evaluating talent, too. Not just one of those "let's see how many five stars I can sign" coaches. He's pretty well versed, too. Always knows what to say without sounding Boo Blakeish, Milesish or Mackish.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/7/2011, 02:07 PM
I also don't get the whole spray tan and hair gel look.It goes well with his firing the construction worker for wearing an OU shirt, and not complaining that his team doesn't get to play LSU. haha. We have a pretty good idea why he was so magnanimous about LETTING Alabama play in the NC game instead of his aggy.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/7/2011, 02:10 PM

Probably one of the biggest OU haters around. No telling how much the jerk negative recruits OU.Gee...ya think?!?!?