PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma finished #7 in the computers. Three computers have us ranked #6

dennis580
12/4/2011, 08:42 PM
I am a big fan of computers, but even I have to admit that is rediculous. By the way at #14 in the BCS we are actually eligible for a BCS bid.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

SoonerShark
12/4/2011, 10:24 PM
Glitch?

Widescreen
12/4/2011, 10:43 PM
Isn't the BCS awesome?

Dan Thompson
12/4/2011, 10:45 PM
Which toilet bowl did we win?

MeMyself&Me
12/4/2011, 10:56 PM
I am a big fan of computers, but even I have to admit that is rediculous. By the way at #14 in the BCS we are actually eligible for a BCS bid.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

BCS computers can really only take record and compare to strength of schedule. The different computers have different results due to different ways of computing those two elements. OU played one of the toughest schedules in college football this year and there are a lot of teams at the top with multiple losses so from that understanding, a 3 loss team with a really strong SOS schedule ranked high makes sense.

I have my own computer poll that I put together a while back (work puts me in hotel rooms for days with nothing to do). Mine floats how much the SOS matters such that no 2 loss team can be ahead of a 0 loss team. OU ranks very high in mine too. Computer polls like that are redictors meant to show what a team has done rather than what they will, or might, do. You either believe in them or you don't.

Sooner5030
12/4/2011, 11:00 PM
I don't mind the computers

blind measurements used to keep in check human subjectiveness is a good idea

I'm sure someone may debate/feel that the 2d place AFC east team is better than the first. But the blind empirical computation says the team with x wins and y losses is better than the other team. No human judgment.....just measured empirical data.

limey_sooner
12/4/2011, 11:02 PM
BCS computers can really only take record and compare to strength of schedule. The different computers have different results due to different ways of computing those two elements. OU played one of the toughest schedules in college football this year and there are a lot of teams at the top with multiple losses so from that understanding, a 3 loss team with a really strong SOS schedule ranked high makes sense.

I have my own computer poll that I put together a while back (work puts me in hotel rooms for days with nothing to do). Mine floats how much the SOS matters such that no 2 loss team can be ahead of a 0 loss team. OU ranks very high in mine too. Computer polls like that are redictors meant to show what a team has done rather than what they will, or might, do. You either believe in them or you don't.

That's fair enough. But until the criteria used in the computer polls are published instead of kept secret, its complete crap as far as I'm concerned. Just because its "computed" means nothing.

boomersooner28
12/4/2011, 11:54 PM
Dude, the way we are playing right now, I'm not sure if we are a top 25 team. Does Landry have a TD pass in the last 3 games?

boomersooner28
12/4/2011, 11:56 PM
What those computer rankings tell me is that the BIG12 is A LOT better than it gets credit for. SECSECSECSEC gets crammed down everyones throat when actually the BIG12 is the best conference in America according to the computers. Don't dare tell the talking heads on ESPiN that though.

SicEmBaylor
12/5/2011, 12:02 AM
Which toilet bowl did we win?
You haven't actually won the toilet bowl yet.

SicEmBaylor
12/5/2011, 12:04 AM
Dude, the way we are playing right now, I'm not sure if we are a top 25 team. Does Landry have a TD pass in the last 3 games?
I don't think you do which makes the fact that OU runs pass play after pass play after pass play that much more astounding.

I know the Sooner faithful don't want to say it, so I will will. Something is going to have to give with Heupel. I think he's going to make a great OC, but he may have been bumped up a little too soon.

StoopTroup
12/5/2011, 12:08 AM
You haven't actually won the toilet bowl yet.Baylor isn't quite playing for a MNC either. You do understand that right?

SicEmBaylor
12/5/2011, 12:08 AM
Baylor isn't quite playing for a MNC either. You do understand that right?
Did I ever suggest otherwise?

StoopTroup
12/5/2011, 12:13 AM
I don't think you do which makes the fact that OU runs pass play after pass play after pass play that much more astounding.

I know the Sooner faithful don't want to say it, so I will will. Something is going to have to give with Heupel. I think he's going to make a great OC, but he may have been bumped up a little too soon.

You are gonna punk out Huepel when he has already created the BELLDOZER? He helped Landry throw for over 400 yards against your Team. You act like your Team is any better. Seriously seeing your Team win a few games has really hurt your brain cells. The second that QB is gone....you can build all the Stadiums near the River you want but things will be back to the same ole samo the second he's gone. Matter of fact....I can't believe Briles hasn't been snapped up by some other School that actually pours money into their program rather than wait around for 20 year or more to build a Statue of a player out front.

StoopTroup
12/5/2011, 12:17 AM
Did I ever suggest otherwise?

You know this is a meltdown around here and you are getting involved in Toilet Bowl talk? Yeah you kind of did. You really kind of implied that your Team isn't playing in the Toilet Bowl. Even with the meltdown we had in Stoolwater...it was against a pretty solid Team that played us close last year in Stoolwater. If you played us in some Bowl this year...I'd put money on RGIII getting hammered the second time. Some here might not....but I would. The day BU gets into a BCS or at least one of the major bowls like the orange, Sugar, Rose or the Fiesta they will be able to call themselves a football program....until then they basically have to enjoy these little upsets and the tiny bit of recognition they get when they actually begin to climb their way into going to a bowl at all.

SOONER44EVER
12/5/2011, 12:20 AM
I won't talk smack to any Baylor fans. They have scoreboard on us. I can't believe I just said that.

MeMyself&Me
12/5/2011, 12:31 AM
That's fair enough. But until the criteria used in the computer polls are published instead of kept secret, its complete crap as far as I'm concerned. Just because its "computed" means nothing.

I'll agree with that. I like objective computer formulas WAY more than subjective human votes but it's complete junk that the computer polls methods are not published so they can be verified... with the exception of Colley's Matrix.

SicEmBaylor
12/5/2011, 12:32 AM
You are gonna punk out Huepel when he has already created the BELLDOZER?
I'm not "punking" anyone. I'm only suggesting he may have needed a little more seasoning before being bumped up to the OC spot. If he created the belldozer then he needs to use it a lot more, because it has rarely been stopped yet he only trotted it out at the very end of the game last night when it beyond too late.

He helped Landry throw for over 400 yards against your Team.
So? What's your point? OU has had QBs throw for 400 yards long before Landry Jones was the QB or JH was the OC. You can throw for 500 yards and still lose a game.

You act like your Team is any better
Uhm, this year we are better. Be that as it may, this has absolutely nothing to do with Baylor. I'm not comparing the two teams here.

Seriously seeing your Team win a few games has really hurt your brain cells.
:sigh: I'm going to let this hanging curveball just hang there. I think you forget that I've been here looooong before Baylor improved (which in any case is totally irrelevant to this conversation). I think you also forget that I happen to be from Oklahoma and have been an OU fan as long as I can remember. Regardless of where I went to school or what my user name is, I am an OU fan (just not over Baylor). It's in this vain that I'm commenting here. Again, I can't see how on Earth my comment on Heupel is even remotely related to the relative success of Baylor this season as compared to previous years. Color me perplexed.

The second that QB is gone....
I'm not going to get into this asinine argument again, but suffice it to say that I think Briles will keep us in a position to win games even after RGIII is gone. He can't be fully replaced, but I don't envision Briles failing to Steele-era levels.

you can build all the Stadiums near the River you want but things will be back to the same ole samo the second he's gone.
The new stadium? WTF? I'm not sure anyone thinks that building the new stadium will ensure future success. We're building a new stadium because the old one sucks and is off campus.

Matter of fact....I can't believe Briles hasn't been snapped up by some other School that actually pours money into their program rather than wait around for 20 year or more to build a Statue of a player out front.
Well, this is possibly the most ignorant *** thing I've ever read, and I've read some pretty ignorant *** **** from you lately. So, you point out that we're building a brand new $250 million dollar stadium only to turn around in the next sentence and make the claim we're not pouring any money into our athletic program? Did you take a drive up University Parks during your time in Waco? Does it look like we're not spending money? This new stadium is in addition to the $20 million dollar indoor training facility we built. Clearly we're not putting any money into athletics. :eyeroll:

I think someone should take your keyboard away. Again, I had to respond to your comments but what I'm saying has ZERO to do with us. You keep bringing it up, and I don't really understand why.

SicEmBaylor
12/5/2011, 12:34 AM
You know this is a meltdown around here and you are getting involved in Toilet Bowl talk? Yeah you kind of did.
I didn't say you were going to the toilet bowl -- he did. He said "What toilet bowl did we win?" I pointed out you haven't actually won the bowl yet.

You really kind of implied that your Team isn't playing in the Toilet Bowl.
I didn't imply anything of the sort. I wasn't even thinking about us, our program, the team, or what bowl we're playing in when I made those comments. The issue here is that you're reading waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay the hell too much into what I and others say. That and you are clearly overly defensive.

Even with the meltdown we had in Stoolwater...it was against a pretty solid Team that played us close last year in Stoolwater. If you played us in some Bowl this year...I'd put money on RGIII getting hammered the second time. Some here might not....but I would. The day BU gets into a BCS or at least one of the major bowls like the orange, Sugar, Rose or the Fiesta they will be able to call themselves a football program....until then they basically have to enjoy these little upsets and the tiny bit of recognition they get when they actually begin to climb their way into going to a bowl at all.
Hoookay then.

King Barry's Back
12/5/2011, 06:56 AM
Computer polls like that are redictors meant to show what a team has done rather than what they will, or might, do. You either believe in them or you don't.

My eyes saw OU get comprehensively outclassed by the sheep humpers in all aspects of the game. My brain therefore refuses to believe in any polls that put us in the top 10.

King Barry's Back
12/5/2011, 07:10 AM

No. He hasn't thrown a TD pass since Ryan Broyles was injured.

Make of this what you will. Blake Bell scored seven of the Sooners' last eight touchdowns.

King Barry's Back
12/5/2011, 07:22 AM
SicEm,

I apologize for the beating you are taking from some other posters. You've always been a great poster here, and for once Baylor has earned the right for us to pay some respect to you - rather than always the other way around.

My hats off to the Bears and the great job Coach Briles is doing down there.

The truth is that OU went to Waco and lost to a better team.

Why and how our team is so bad is a legitimate and bitterly emotional discussion, but you do not deserve to be pulled into that.

If I were a little more bitter, now would be a good time for me to ruin the sportsmanship of this post by pointing out that we had to play in Waco two years in a row. But instead I'll point out that hosting Tech did us little good.

Hope the tables are turned when you come to Norman next year.

Cheers, King Barry's Back

FriscoTXsooner
12/5/2011, 09:44 AM
Sic-em,

No worries here, your Bear's did what they were supposed to do, try and win every Saturday, Congrats on your season, and the victory over my Sooners. With that said, SOS aside, it is unfortunate that year in and year out, we (Sooners) start the year with high expectations, and we have been under achieving in my opinion. We lose games that we shouldn't lose, No disrepect to the Bears, but in reality, we shouldn't. We have let downs because we either don't scheme it right, we're not preparing, or we just don't show up with the desire to win! period, take your pick, all or none, but at the end of the day, we are only as good as the victories on Saturday. We knew what RGIII could do, and we didn't stop him, our secondary all year has given up the long ball, something that must be addressed this off season.

You guys had a great year, not sure if RGIII is coming back, but if he does you will be better next year, we need to start playing like OU knows how to play, we need to stop believing the hype, and start concentrating on the basics. This year is over, with the exception of the bowl game, so I will start getting ready for next year.

Best of luck in your bowl game, and good luck next year, when you come to Norman, be prepared to battle!

Sooners78
12/5/2011, 10:03 AM
SicEm, OSU had us in long yardage situations the entire game which is why Bell wasn't used more. In hindsight though, I guess it couldn't have been any worse than the result we were getting. Not to make excuses, but we really missed Broyles. He was a safety valve for LJ because he always found a way to get open. I expected Kenny to step up more than he has. I think Stills needs Broyles in the game to take the pressure off of him. I can't fault Heupel for having confidence in his receivers. They looked good most of the season, just not so much since Ryan went out. OSU deserves a lot of credit. They wanted it and spent two weeks making sure they had every part of their game covered.

Baylor has a great team, and I loved seeing them whip UTerus this weekend. And, RG3 deserves the Heisman. Anyone who doesn't have him #1 on their ballot is insane.

SicEmBaylor
12/5/2011, 02:54 PM
Mucho gracias to all three of you. Again, I was offering my opinion as an OU fan. I really wasn't trying to compare your season with ours or make any kind of statement about what bowl you are in compared to us. I'm just here talking about how I wish OU had done better. I want to see OU win (except for the obvious), and it pains me when they lose. Sic 'em Sooners!

SoonerTank
12/5/2011, 03:38 PM
SicEm - I seen a sign on TV during the last game that had and arrow and said something like "This is SicEm". It was shown quickly and didn't get a good look. By chance, was it you? (Sorry to hijack this thread).

SicEmBaylor
12/5/2011, 04:44 PM
SicEm - I seen a sign on TV during the last game that had and arrow and said something like "This is SicEm". It was shown quickly and didn't get a good look. By chance, was it you? (Sorry to hijack this thread).
Wasn't me. Someone is trying to steal my identity! There's only ONE! ;)

MeMyself&Me
12/5/2011, 07:12 PM
My eyes saw OU get comprehensively outclassed by the sheep humpers in all aspects of the game. My brain therefore refuses to believe in any polls that put us in the top 10.

The computers only see a loss. Like I said, they're not meant to show how good a team is. They just measure what a team has done. OU is 9-3 vs one of the toughest schedules in college football this year. If you're measuring what OU has done then you have to have them ranked high and that's what the computers did. If you are looking at how good they are right now then you have them ranked low which is what the human voters did. It's up to you whether you believe a team should be ranked on what they have done vs what they might do but I pick the former.

Sooner_Bob
12/6/2011, 03:56 PM
No. He hasn't thrown a TD pass since Ryan Broyles was injured.

Make of this what you will. Blake Bell scored seven of the Sooners' last eight touchdowns.

I think many folks know exactly what to make of it . . . if that doesn't tell you that the offense needed to change after Broyles got hurt I don't know what does.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2011, 03:57 PM
BOB!Q!!!!@$!@$!!!

Sooner_Bob
12/6/2011, 03:58 PM
BOB!Q!!!!@$!@$!!!

Dude, you like have lots and lots of posts.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2011, 04:00 PM
I almost caught up with you in your extended sabbatical.

Sooner_Bob
12/6/2011, 04:01 PM
I almost caught up with you in your extended sabbatical.

:texan:

Mississippi Sooner
12/6/2011, 04:26 PM
I do love it when my sabbatical gets extended.

Okie35
12/6/2011, 06:18 PM
Glitch?

No our strength of schedule was 5th in the nation.

Okie35
12/6/2011, 06:25 PM

We are a top 25 team just in the lower half of it.