PDA

View Full Version : Tonight, the BCS is officially a joke!

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 08:33 PM
Not like we didnt already know it.

Resumes:

OSU played and beat 8 bowl eligible teams and 5 teams that finished in the BCS top 25.

Bama played and beat 4 teams that are bowl eligible, one FCS team, and only two teams that finished in the top 25 of the BCS.

The system is a joke how it is now!

I am not sayin playoff, though I am pro-playoff.

However, I am saying that the bcs needs to stop going from polls that are influenced by pre-season polls.

The ONLY REASON Bama is in the BCS title game (the first of which I will not watch) is because they were preseason #2 heading into the season.

I know people here are probably glad OSU got snubbed...but this system is a not even right!

If OSU beats Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl and LSU wins or even LSU wins, OSU shoudl publicly challenge the winner!

I know it will never happen, but I think the schools need to say enough of the politics and lets settle this on the field!

Okie35
12/4/2011, 08:34 PM
I'm glad this happened. I don't know why ppl would even push for OSU vs. Bama if they want a playoff system. This should hurt the BCS.

8timechamps
12/4/2011, 08:35 PM
Isn't this the last year in the most recent contract?

What a mess this system has become. And "joke" may be an understatement.

8timechamps
12/4/2011, 08:36 PM
I'm glad this happened. I don't know why ppl would even push for OSU vs. Bama if they want a playoff system. This should hurt the BCS.

True, this is the best thing that could have happened short of LSU losing to Georgia. Things will change, just not sure if they'll get it right.

yermom
12/4/2011, 08:37 PM
with all the talk in the past of conference champs, this is dumb.

TXBOOMER
I think the best 2 teams made it. I am pro playoff though. That is the only way to have a true champion.

SoonerKnight
I do not like OSU but they are wronged.

yermom
they should just drop the computers altogether

bringit
12/4/2011, 08:38 PM
two best teams are in. of course that's my opinion.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 08:40 PM

They should drop the human polls altogether....

And I wish Mark May would just shut his negro mouth!:angel:

8timechamps
12/4/2011, 08:42 PM

I can't really argue that Bama doesn't deserve a spot, but I think OSU and Stanford got slighted. That's the problem with the BCS, there is no real way to determine who the best one-loss team really is. Same thing would happen if we had three or more undefeated teams from good conferences. It's been the problem with the BCS from day one.

Like I said, I can't argue against Bama being in, but I couldn't argue if Stanford or OSU made it either.

yermom
12/4/2011, 08:42 PM
They should drop the human polls altogether....

And I wish Mark May would just shut his negro mouth!:angel:

i mean just drop the pretense. more and more over the years they just marginalized the math aspects and just decided to vote on who they wanted anyway

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 08:43 PM

Why, because ESPN said they are the two best teams?

So many people that are anti-Playoff say that with the BCS the regular season means more...Well, you can throw that out the window now seeing as Bama has a worse SOS. They have less wins vs ranked opponents and less wins vs bowl eligible team. Not to mention Bama lost at home against LSU!

StoopTroup
12/4/2011, 08:43 PM
My God. More whining? For oSu? Seriously? I don't get it. Bama would clean oSu off the windshield like a bug I won't even tell you what would happen if they played LSU. We all know. oSu lost to ISU on the Road. If they wanted a chance they should have won that one.

Trent Richardson is a better Heisman Candidate than Blackmon and Bama. It's a no brainer.

SoonerKnight
12/4/2011, 08:45 PM

Granted. You are entitled to your opinion but should OSU not get a shot? Hell LSU was a joke for years and they got a shot at the MNC. OSU deserves their chance at glory. Why have a Conference champion and a non-conf champion from the same conf play for the championship. LSU beat Bama and won the division. That would be like us having beat Saxet and then playing them for the title after already winning the conference title. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!!! Why would they allow this bull sh it?

OU_Sooners75
My God. More whining? For oSu? Seriously? I don't get it. Bama would clean oSu off the windshield like a bug I won't even tell you what would happen if they played LSU. We all know.

Greg, you can either contribute by making a real conversation out of it or ignore it...that is the beauty of a message board...you can choose to be partake in certain discussions or not.

Guaranteed that if this was OU and not OSU, then you would be out beating children with your cane!

lexsooner
The pollsters never let go of their belief that Bama and LSU are the two best teams, hence no. one and two in the polls, which got Bama in the title game. This may or may not be true, but I also have to believe the SEC's reputation of invincibility in recent years was a major factor in influencing pollsters in placing Bama no. two. For all of OSU's credential's, many considerably more impressive than Bama's, Bama is still an SEC team and they were accorded deference for that reason.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
OA should get their butts kicked by the Tree...hopefully. Heck, I might even go and get one of those $20 tickets, since the Tree could use some fans, prolly.

poke4christ
12/4/2011, 08:46 PM
Guys, thanks for all the thoughts in our favor here.

As for a change to the system, I just don't see it happening. This isn't even the worst controversy the BCS has had. I hope I wrong and sentiments have shifted enough for true change, but the reason the system hasn't changed is those in power get their pocket greased and that ain't changing any time soon.

Zin
12/4/2011, 08:48 PM
I'm really interested in seeing how they voted. I'm not sure they are required to show how the coaches voted, but they will get pressure to do it.

Sooner5030
12/4/2011, 08:51 PM
I hate debates about the "best"

it shows that neither party understands that the "best" cannot be measured objectively. We can measure the AFC east champion, conference champion, 1st round playoff winner.....but we can never objective select the two "best" out of 110.

those that argue otherwise are f'ing dolts

cantwait48
12/4/2011, 08:54 PM
Not like we didnt already know it.

Resumes:

OSU played and beat 8 bowl eligible teams and 5 teams that finished in the BCS top 25.

Bama played and beat 4 teams that are bowl eligible, one FCS team, and only two teams that finished in the top 25 of the BCS.

The system is a joke how it is now!

I am not sayin playoff, though I am pro-playoff.

However, I am saying that the bcs needs to stop going from polls that are influenced by pre-season polls.

The ONLY REASON Bama is in the BCS title game (the first of which I will not watch) is because they were preseason #2 heading into the season.

I know people here are probably glad OSU got snubbed...but this system is a not even right!

If OSU beats Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl and LSU wins or even LSU wins, OSU shoudl publicly challenge the winner!

I know it will never happen, but I think the schools need to say enough of the politics and lets settle this on the field!

actually if you look at the final bcs osu beat OU, texas, baylor and kstate

bama beat penn state, arkansas and auburn

that is 4 to 3, not really a big difference

8timechamps
12/4/2011, 09:01 PM

it shows that neither party understands that the "best" cannot be measured objectively. We can measure the AFC east champion, conference champion, 1st round playoff winner.....but we can never objective select the two "best" out of 110.

Best post I've read today.

SoonerMom2
12/4/2011, 09:01 PM
AL one loss was the to the #1 team in the Nation and the OSU loss was to Iowa State. Those are facts and once they kept tweaking the system to take out strength of schedule as a major component this was going to happen. Should be interesting as we found the Tree and the Stanford band annoying but might just have to watch to see the tree dancing around which is better than that horrid mascot poke guy. I am not one of those people who root for conference teams to win Bowl Games unless they are playing Notre Dame and I root for everyone to beat ND even Michigan. I used to root for Tech when they had Leach and Kansas when they had Mangino to win bowl games but no more.

Okie35
12/4/2011, 09:07 PM

Then we can't have a playoff system w/ just a few teams.

Veritas
12/4/2011, 09:08 PM
OSU lost to Iowa State on the day of the plane crash that killed two coaches. Impossible to know how much effect that that was but it's probably a mitigating factor.

Caboose
12/4/2011, 09:08 PM

This doesnt hurt the BCS any more than it hurts the cause of an extended playoff.

Lost in all of this is the fact that we already know who the national champion is. LSU. We dont need ANY post season this year, not our current two team playoff, not a four team playoff, not an eight team playoff, not 16 or 50. The only correct answer this year was to crown LSU National Champions as soon as their game with Georgia was over yesterday.

Caboose
12/4/2011, 09:10 PM
OSU lost to Iowa State on the day of the plane crash that killed two coaches. Impossible to know how much effect that that was but it's probably a mitigating factor.

I doubt most of the players had even met Budke, most certainly few had any kind of relationship with him.

8timechamps
12/4/2011, 09:13 PM
I doubt most of the players had even met Budke, most certainly few had any kind of relationship with him.

Probably not, but I am 100% sure the coaching staff was affected, and it's game day when coaches have to be the most focused.

I'm not looking for excuses for OSU, because the fact is they had control of their own destiny. But, to make OSU look less-than-deserving because they lost to an unranked (and pretty gritty) team, on the road, in overtime, is stretching the reasoning pretty thin.

bluedogok
12/4/2011, 09:23 PM
I'm really interested in seeing how they voted. I'm not sure they are required to show how the coaches voted, but they will get pressure to do it.
I believe the final polls are supposed to be released to the public.

Perception is the problem, people still think Iowa State (and Baylor) are the cellar dwellers when in fact they are much better than what they are perceived to be. Kansas was to only real stinker in the conference this season, the mediocre teams in the Big 12 are probably no better or worse than the mediocre teams in the SEC, the SEC has more of those mediocre teams since it is a larger conference now.

SoonerMom2
12/4/2011, 09:25 PM
AL one loss was the to the #1 team in the Nation and the OSU loss was to Iowa State. Those are facts and once they kept tweaking the system to take out strength of schedule as a major component this was going to happen. Should be interesting as we found the Tree and the Stanford band annoying but might just have to watch to see the tree dancing around which is better than that horrid mascot poke guy. I am not one of those people who root for conference teams to win Bowl Games unless they are playing Notre Dame and I root for everyone to beat ND even Michigan. I used to root for Tech when they had Leach and Kansas when they had Mangino to win bowl games but no more.

8timechamps
12/4/2011, 09:35 PM

BINGO!

agoo758
12/4/2011, 10:16 PM
Four of the Six computers put OSU ahead of Alabama. I have always been an advocate of letting these numbers carry almost all the weight while the polls would only be there to serve as a tiebreaker, and tonight is a good example why.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 10:25 PM

As for a change to the system, I just don't see it happening. This isn't even the worst controversy the BCS has had. I hope I wrong and sentiments have shifted enough for true change, but the reason the system hasn't changed is those in power get their pocket greased and that ain't changing any time soon.

Actually it is the closest margin between #2 and #3 ever in the BCS.

I think the thing that needs to be changed if they are going to keep this piece of **** system is to make it a requirement that a team must be a conference champion in order to play for the BCS title.

The Big 12 was, by many, the toughest conference this year, and their champion is not playing for a national championship? Seriously the only reason bama is #2 is because Bama was #2 before any games were played this year.

TitoMorelli
12/4/2011, 10:52 PM
It seems to me that as close as the figures for 2 and 3 were, strength of schedule had to be a determining factor. Neither team had any say over how tough its conference slate would be. However, each had a big say as to its respective non-conference opponents. Alabama had some incredible creampuffs on its non-con schedule, but it did take on traditional power Penn State on the road. If the Cowboys had scheduled and defeated one traditional non-conference power, they'd have probably improved enough to make #2. But playing La-La, Arizona and Tulsa hurt them in the long run.

StoopTroup
12/4/2011, 11:04 PM

Don't thank me. I think they got it right.

limey_sooner
12/4/2011, 11:08 PM
How is it any more of a joke than when you just had people voting on who was the best team? OK, this year it may be because there's only one undefeated team. but in the past you had people who hadn't seen most of the teams voting on who was the best even if the teams had the same number of losses. Its not any better, but is it any worse?

12/5/2011, 12:09 AM
AL one loss was the to the #1 team in the Nation and the OSU loss was to Iowa State. Those are facts and once they kept tweaking the system to take out strength of schedule as a major component this was going to happen. Should be interesting as we found the Tree and the Stanford band annoying but might just have to watch to see the tree dancing around which is better than that horrid mascot poke guy. I am not one of those people who root for conference teams to win Bowl Games unless they are playing Notre Dame and I root for everyone to beat ND even Michigan. I used to root for Tech when they had Leach and Kansas when they had Mangino to win bowl games but no more. YES! and besides, su*k it, Orange Aggy!

CowboyMRW
12/5/2011, 12:37 AM
I'm pretty disappointed but I'm confident that we will dominate Stanford. They haven't impressed me one bit yet so I'm hoping we come out victorious.

Tear Down This Wall
12/5/2011, 12:51 AM
Oklahoma State lost to a 6-6 team.

Alabama lost to a 12-0 school.

If you take care of business against teams you're supposed to beat then you won't get "screwed." Plane crash or no, Iowa State wouldn't get within 5 touchdowns of either LSU or Bama.

Also, I think the "screwed" claims are a little hollow. Oklahoma State chooses to be in a BCS conference. They know the rules of the BCS. They choose to participate in it. The have gladly taken their share of the money the Big 12 has made off of it for well over a decade.

I haven't seen them protesting the "unfairness" of multimillion dollar windfalls in the 13 seasons they haven't been in a BCS bowl. Ditto any other school that claims to have been "screwed" by the system. All BCS schools make money off of it. So, they can shut their pie holes about being "screwed" by it.

If they are so concerned about "fairness" they are welcome to jump into a non-AQ conference and try to earn to BCS bowl money like Boise State, TCU, and Utah did - basically, having to go undefeated two seasons in a row to even be sniffed at.

"Screwed." Baloney. Damn lucky to be there, if you want to tell the truth. Shut the h*ll up and don't lose to Iowa State if you want national respect. Beating us and Texas doesn't mean a damn thing this year. Hell, even Baylor did that!

Soonerman08
12/5/2011, 01:01 AM

Then they really wouldn't have made it in. People complain about the BCS, but it is in fact the human element that had OSU at #3. Blame the coaches more than anything. Fans think OSU was wronged, but the coaches don't. OSU lost to a sub par team in Iowa State, and they demolished a highly overrated OU team to finish their season. Not a very convincing argument for being #2 and is likely the reason their #3 position.

StoopTroup
12/5/2011, 01:14 AM
Then they really wouldn't have made it in. People complain about the BCS, but it is in fact the human element that had OSU at #3. Blame the coaches more than anything. Fans think OSU was wronged, but the coaches don't. OSU lost to a sub par team in Iowa State, and they demolished a highly overrated OU team to finish their season. Not a very convincing argument for being #2 and is likely the reason their #3 position.

You might want to see my Boone pickens to launch and investigation thread....lol

PDXsooner
12/5/2011, 01:15 AM
After I turned my TV on and saw OSU playing Iowa State and The Cyclones won the game, I knew OSU had blown their chance. Hard to argue for a team after that.

StoopTroup
12/5/2011, 01:19 AM
After I turned my TV on and saw OSU playing Iowa State and The Cyclones won the game, I knew OSU had blown their chance. Hard to argue for a team after that.

But argue Boone is gonna do....lol...matter of fact he's breaking out the attys by the sound of things....lol

12/5/2011, 01:20 AM
After I turned my TV on and saw OSU playing Iowa State and The Cyclones won the game, I knew OSU had blown their chance. Hard to argue for a team after that.and..oh, what a relief it was!

PDXsooner
12/5/2011, 01:21 AM

What a stupid concept. You can argue anything you want and be objective about it. You can also establish your own criteria and guidelines to decide who is "best" in your own mind and be perfectly objective about it. It surprises me that you can't comprehend this.

As long as you define the word "best" it's a great debate.

Tidefan36854
12/5/2011, 01:59 AM
actually if you look at the final bcs osu beat OU, texas, baylor and kstate

bama beat penn state, arkansas and auburn

that is 4 to 3, not really a big difference

This keeps getting missed by all the people screaming how OSU got screwed. OSU beat 4 ranked teams and Bama beat 3 ranked teams. We all know that Bama's only loss was to #1 LSU and OSU's loss was to unranked Iowa St. That has been discussed for weeks.

What is not being talked about is that Bama's best victory was a 38 - 14 thrashing of the #6 team in country who only lost to #1 LSU and #2 Alabama. OSU's best win was a 52-45 victory over #8 Kansas State who was also destroyed 58 -17 by then-healthy #14 Oklahoma.

Bama's best win was better, and Bama's loss was not as bad of a loss as OSU's. Based on Arkansas and OSU's performance against Texas A&M I'd argue that Arkansas would have a great chance to beat OSU or anybody else in the Big 12, except maybe OU when they were still healthy. At the very least, the numbers suggest OSU and Arky would be very close to each other. Arky is a team we destroyed and was playing scrubs against for the whole 4th quarter. If someone hates the SEC and/or Bama and don't want to see them get a rematch, that's fine. Just don't act like Bama got in over a far superior team like people are trying spin it to be. I wish there was plus 1 system so we could prove it on the field, because there's no doubt in my mind that Bama would wipe the floor with OSU, and obviously more voters than not thought so too.

PDXsooner
12/5/2011, 02:15 AM
Yeah yeah great, Bama is in the title game. Boring. If you need me during that game I'll be outside counting the bricks on my neighbors sidewalk.

Tidefan36854
12/5/2011, 02:44 AM
Yeah yeah great, Bama is in the title game. Boring. If you need me during that game I'll be outside counting the bricks on my neighbors sidewalk.

So you think LSU pounding OSU would be better?

Oh, yeah - you're an OU fan - of course you would!;)

goingoneight
12/5/2011, 10:50 AM
Everybody anti-OSU knows damn well that if we won out after the Tech loss, they'd be screaming for an OU MNC spot. Instead, they're only trying to justify OSU getting robbed.
Also, where's all our "BIG 12's image isn't harmed without Nebraska and Colorado" now?
BCS lovers wrong yet again. What a huge surprise that is.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/5/2011, 11:02 AM
BCS was a joke the moment it began. It was a sorry a$$ lame attempt to continue the Bowl relevance and keep them in their money ways. The BCS is no good, either go back to the true Bowls and the "controversial" national champs or scrape the damn thing and put in a championship playoff.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/5/2011, 11:07 AM
;)

Heh!

LSU >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>anyone else in college football this year.

I don't know how they do it or how they get all the "Green Mile" players. I doubt anyone beats them this year, regardless.

CowboyMRW
12/5/2011, 11:22 AM

My only question how do we know? Everyone thought USC would beat Texas or Bama would roll Utah. *

* I'm not doubting that they wouldn't roll us though

TUSooner
12/5/2011, 11:24 AM
BCS was a joke the moment it began. It was a sorry a$$ lame attempt to continue the Bowl relevance and keep them in their money ways. The BCS is no good, either go back to the true Bowls and the "controversial" national champs or scrape the damn thing and put in a championship playoff.
This is all, in a nutshell.

TUSooner
12/5/2011, 11:34 AM
This keeps getting missed by all the people screaming how OSU got screwed. OSU beat 4 ranked teams and Bama beat 3 ranked teams. We all know that Bama's only loss was to #1 LSU and OSU's loss was to unranked Iowa St. That has been discussed for weeks.

What is not being talked about is that Bama's best victory was a 38 - 14 thrashing of the #6 team in country who only lost to #1 LSU and #2 Alabama. OSU's best win was a 52-45 victory over #8 Kansas State who was also destroyed 58 -17 by then-healthy #14 Oklahoma.

Bama's best win was better, and Bama's loss was not as bad of a loss as........ Blah blah blah. Your arguments are elephant turds: difficult to ignore, yes, but big and ****ty just the same.

Here's what tide fans keep overlooking: The rest of us have seen one LSU-Bama PoS-no-TD-inept-offense-SEC-butt-kissing "game of the century" already, and we just don't want to see another one when. Especially when there's a much more interesting possibility. Every game counts? Not if you're in the SEC!

ALABAMA HAD ITS CHANCE TO DO THE VERY THING THAT IT WANTS TO DO NOW. It FAILED. The rest of the country should not be imprisoned by your feeling of entitlement to a second bite at an apple you already choked on.

You know what's REALLY bad"? You Bama whiners are about to make me cheer for LSU to stomp your cry-baby nuts off. And I am NEVER for LSU. So bite me, Bama fans. I hate you and the BCS for what you're doing to my squirming little brain!!

VA Sooner
12/5/2011, 11:37 AM
Agree... Pokes got stiffed on this one...

Iam4OUru
12/5/2011, 11:43 AM
Blah blah blah. Your arguments are elephant turds: difficult to ignore, yes, but big and ****ty just the same.

Here's what tide fans keep overlooking: The rest of us have seen one LSU-Bama PoS-no-TD-inept-offense-SEC-butt-kissing "game of the century" already, and we just don't want to see another one when. Especially when there's a much more interesting possibility. Every game counts? Not if you're in the SEC!

ALABAMA HAD ITS CHANCE TO DO THE VERY THING THAT IT WANTS TO DO NOW. It FAILED. The rest of the country should not be imprisoned by your feeling of entitlement to a second bite at an apple you already choked on.

You know what's REALLY bad"? You Bama whiners are about to make me cheer for LSU to stomp your cry-baby nuts off. And I am NEVER for LSU. So bite me, Bama fans. I hate you and the BCS for what you're doing to my squirming little brain!!

I'm with you. I hope LSU beats the livin' crap out of Saban.

cantwait48
12/5/2011, 12:03 PM
Everybody anti-OSU knows damn well that if we won out after the Tech loss, they'd be screaming for an OU MNC spot. Instead, they're only trying to justify OSU getting robbed.
Also, where's all our "BIG 12's image isn't harmed without Nebraska and Colorado" now?
BCS lovers wrong yet again. What a huge surprise that is.

every pro-osu person should know that if we were in Bama's position and got jumped we would be even more upset. Think about it, all of a sudden a team that had dropped their next to last game to an average team and dropped to 5th in the human polls comes out of nowhere and jumped us on the last day after beating a severely over rated in state rival when only one team ahead of them lost.

OULenexaman
12/5/2011, 12:06 PM

Oh, yeah - you're an OU fan - of course you would!;) Let's flip it around homeslice......say bama won the 1st snooze fest 9-6.....would you be sayin that LSU truly deserves another whack at ya?.....or would you be sayin the Pokes are the team you should face?

BigTip
12/5/2011, 12:11 PM

What kills me is that I have seen lots of play-off proposals that utilize the bowls pretty much as they are now. There really is no reason to not have a play-off.

baja okla
12/5/2011, 12:37 PM
I like Bama and would rather have Bama number one any day rather than LSU. But really now, college football should remain single elimination. One shot should be all you get.

12/5/2011, 01:23 PM
I'm with you. I hope LSU beats the livin' crap out of Saban.Agreement, just for scoreboard's sake. LSU has 3 NC's, and Bammer already has 869 titles. GEAUX CAJUN TIGAH-CRAWFISH BAYOU BOOGIE BAITS!

rainiersooner
12/5/2011, 01:41 PM
I don't have much to add to this thread, but I'm trying to get to 2,000 posts, so I thought I'd quickly weigh in.

OU_Sooners75
12/5/2011, 03:40 PM
I don't have much to add to this thread, but I'm trying to get to 2,000 posts, so I thought I'd quickly weigh in.

You should mimic StoopTroup when he was post whoring...LOL

NYC Poke
12/5/2011, 03:51 PM
Regardless of whether OSU plays in the BCS title game, it is the Big XII who got screwed, not just possibly OSU.

The SEC, Big X, the PAC, and the ACC all have 2 teams playing in BCS bowls. The Big XII, the nation's strongest conference top-to-bottom, the conference where Every Game Counts (really!), only has one. That is BS, plain and simple.