PDA

View Full Version : Mike coming back?

soonercoop1
12/4/2011, 12:50 PM
@Dave Sittler
Others may want him, but Mike Stoops prefers to return to OU. Big brother Bob has a compelling Bedlam reason why to make that happen.

Interesting did not know he wanted back in...

oumartin
12/4/2011, 12:52 PM
Bring back Jonathan Hayes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Jr spurrier

soonercoop1
12/4/2011, 12:53 PM

And Jr spurrier

Agreed!

EatLeadCommie
12/4/2011, 12:55 PM
No room on the current staff to make that happen. Would have to get rid of somebody, and it won't be BV.

oumartin
12/4/2011, 12:56 PM
I figured bv was going to coach the jaguars

cherokeebrewer
12/4/2011, 12:57 PM
No room on the current staff
Make room!

SoonerKnight
12/4/2011, 12:58 PM
If they want him they will make it happen.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 01:14 PM
Help BV get the Kansas Job.

oumartin
12/4/2011, 01:15 PM
Help BV get the Kansas Job.

Kill two birds with one stone! Too bad the Texas job ain't open.

EatLeadCommie
12/4/2011, 01:16 PM
If Bob gets rid of anybody, it will be Norvell. IMO, we should eliminate 2 coaches and make room for a new DC and a special teams coach.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 01:27 PM
If Bob gets rid of anybody, it will be Norvell. IMO, we should eliminate 2 coaches and make room for a new DC and a special teams coach.

I think we need to get rid of more than just 2 coaches.

I am not really in the camp of firing BV, but it is getting there. I think it is time we bring in a person that can help make BV better, or that can replace BV as the DC and BV just worry about the LBs once again.

Anyway Stoops could make some room by getting rid of:

Kittle (sp?) The Tackles and TE coach.
Patton the Centers and guards coach.
Martinez the DBs coach
Bobby Jack Wright our DEs coach.

There is no excuse to having two separate OL coaches, especially when our OL cannot run block successfully. There is no excuse for how our DBs have played throughout the season. Though the DEs are goodk BJW is not the guy to be coaching them. If anything, make BJW the recruiting coordinator and nothing else.

That said, bring in a guy that can coach the entire OL and TEs. When the TEs need to practice receiving, they can go with the WRs coach.

Mark Mangino may have been a lot of things, but he was a very good OL coach. Not saying this is who should be hired, but there are coaches that can coach the entire OL and are good at it.

DBs coach...well if Mike is coming back, that takes care of that.

Then you still have room to hire a special teams coach...say Uwe? Not sure if he would make a good one, but he could really improve our kickers...though Honeycutt looks to have a bright future.

After all this, you could have all your graduate assistants and volunteer coaches (if any) fill in and help in the areas of concern.

The OL may need a second coach, but not split like it is now. Put a graduate assistant there to help.
The special teams could use some extra help. Put a graduate assistant there to help.
WRs need more then one to help. So put a volunteer or GA there to help.

oumartin
12/4/2011, 01:29 PM
We need keep bobby jack, great recruiter I hear

Okie35
12/4/2011, 01:30 PM
BV should go back to strictly coaching the LBs

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 01:32 PM
We need keep bobby jack, great recruiter I hear

bother reading the entire post?

oumartin
12/4/2011, 01:35 PM
bother reading the entire post?

I did, recruiting coordinator get ur panties out of a bunch

cleller

And Jr spurrier

Right ON! He had an impact that he was never given credit for. The players on the sidelines shut up and stood up whenever he came near. Special teams was actually a strength then.

TXBOOMER
What is Mike going to do? Wave a magic wand and all of the sudden talent will magically appear on Defense. Give me a fu**ing break! We have a severe lack of talent problem on this team. Defensively we get pushed around. Take Ronnell and Alexander away from the front seven and this defense is in severe trouble. Mike may be able to help but I would be surprised.

soonercastor
12/4/2011, 01:37 PM
What is Mike going to do? Wave a magic wand and all of the sudden talent will magically appear on Defense. Give me a fu**ing break! We have a severe lack of talent problem on this team. Defensively we get pushed around. Take Ronnell and Alexander away from the front three and this defense is in severe trouble. Mike may be able to help but I would be surprised.

fify

Okie35
12/4/2011, 01:38 PM
What is Mike going to do? Wave a magic wand and all of the sudden talent will magically appear on Defense. Give me a fu**ing break! We have a severe lack of talent problem on this team. Defensively we get pushed around. Take Ronnell and Alexander away from the front seven and this defense is in severe trouble. Mike may be able to help but I would be surprised.

Yea, we need new safeties and a defensive line. The interior mostly.

oumartin
12/4/2011, 01:38 PM

Give me a ****ing break, how much talent was on those early teams? Or do we all need to admit bob won with Blake's players

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 01:56 PM

Can it get any worse with him than without him?

JLMSOONER
12/4/2011, 02:06 PM
Yesterday I heard brother mike was going to osu to work for spurrier?

TXBOOMER
12/4/2011, 02:14 PM
No it wouldn't get any worse with Mike. My point is I don't remember a Stoops team with less overall talent than we have right now and I don't think changing D Coordinators will have much of an impact. Other than Ronnell and Alexander we have a weak front 7. Both of them are gone now so we have a weak front 7 going into the off season. Very disappointing and not much to look forward to.

goingoneight
12/4/2011, 02:18 PM
Is this just Dave babbling and making an assumption or does Mike REALLY want to come back?

Oh, and FWIW... it would be a mistake to get rid of BV just for the sake of getting Mike back on staff. Brent and Mike were co-coordinators along with BJW during the so-called "Mike Stoops era." The X's and O's for OU have never been one mad scientist with a little notebook on the sideline. They've always gameplanned in coaches meetings. Something needs to change across the board from a fundamental prospective. OUr team is just terrible at such simple things as tackling and blocking in one-on-one situtations. It seems like the only guys it seems who end up being solid fundamentally are the ones who come in already that way (Jefferson, Millard, Stills).

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 02:20 PM
No it wouldn't get any worse with Mike. My point is I don't remember a Stoops team with less overall talent than we have right now and I don't think changing D Coordinators will have much of an impact. Other than Ronnell and Alexander we have a weak front 7. Both of them are gone now so we have a weak front 7 going into the off season. Very disappointing and not much to look forward to.

If you think this team has less talent now than in 1999...you are wrong.

This is one of the more talented teams OU has had. The problem is, talent alone doesn't win games. Our problem is being out of position. Our problem is discipline.

Do we have undersized players? Yes...but that is due to the finesse crap we have been running.

If we were playing option offenses, our defense would be great with the speed it has...

goingoneight
12/4/2011, 04:55 PM
Once again... does Mike really want to come back or is Sittler talking out his *** like usual?

C&CDean
12/4/2011, 05:07 PM
Why the **** would Mike Stoops wanna come back to this ****ing place?

SOONER44EVER
12/4/2011, 05:09 PM
Who freaking cares about Mike Stoops? His defense sucked the whole time he was in Arizona. His defensive philosophy is the same as Venables. Where do you think Venables learned it?

toast
12/4/2011, 05:15 PM
Why the **** would Mike Stoops wanna come back to this ****ing place?

Seriously, with his brother mailing it in each and every week so that he can spend more time working on his house, not caring about the program, having lost his fire, laughing to the bank while losing to third tier programs, and unwilling to change his ways...why would Mike want to come back?

ps: hope you caught the sarcasm

85sooners
12/4/2011, 05:15 PM
Mike will right the ship

ObiKaTony
12/4/2011, 05:20 PM
Is this just Dave babbling and making an assumption or does Mike REALLY want to come back?

Oh, and FWIW... it would be a mistake to get rid of BV just for the sake of getting Mike back on staff. Brent and Mike were co-coordinators along with BJW during the so-called "Mike Stoops era." The X's and O's for OU have never been one mad scientist with a little notebook on the sideline. They've always gameplanned in coaches meetings. Something needs to change across the board from a fundamental prospective. OUr team is just terrible at such simple things as tackling and blocking in one-on-one situtations. It seems like the only guys it seems who end up being solid fundamentally are the ones who come in already that way (Jefferson, Millard, Stills).

Apparently Mike has something Brent doesn't have. Stoops wont get rid of brent and get mike or whoever else for the sake of getting someone else. He will get someone else because we are either not recruiting the right players, coaching, or both. Are defense just isn't/hasn't been that good, and someone needs to take the blame. The obvious choice is Venebles, hence, why you have about 95% of sooner nation screaming he needs to go. Those who disagree just want to seem smarter than the rest and break it down. Perhaps those who are in that category should go to congress where no real solutions are brought to the table, only the "breaking down" of the problem that is slapping them in the face. Either way, change is coming...

btw, I am totally dumbfounded when people believe that Mike wouldn't make the d better. What evidence do you have that says otherwise. As the d CORD here (not head coach, which is very different) he led the d to 4 straight years in top 10. Doesn't get any worse than that!!!

Penguin
12/4/2011, 05:21 PM
I thought oudavid said that Bob Stoops is going to Iowa. Shouldn't we be going after Lou Holtz for head coach?

champions77
12/4/2011, 05:23 PM
Solutions?

Hire a third offensive line coach, because two can't seem to get it done? Not serious, just making light of how silly this last hire was. One of the more perplexing hires Bob has made. And where did Kittle come from? A high school or prison? How could this be? Oh, that's right, one of Bob's buddies from his Iowa days. Anyone know how many colleges have two offensive line coaches?

Bob needs help in these areas;

Defensive coaches. OU finished 53rd in the nation last year in total defense, it will be around 65th this year. At OU? totally unacceptable, but if you ask Bob about it, he will just recite the number of Big XII Championships. Not the attitude that will allow us to improve significantlly there.

Special teams? Another area that we usually are inferior to the other team, no matter who we line up against, be it texas, OSU, Tech, we are always not as good as our opponent. And sadly, it has been that way...for years.

The status quo is not good enough. Mike Gundy? I would say he's got a better staff than we do. Top to bottom OU has better athletes, now. A few more Puke Championships and even that will be in jeopardy.

ObiKaTony
If you think this team has less talent now than in 1999...you are wrong.

This is one of the more talented teams OU has had. The problem is, talent alone doesn't win games. Our problem is being out of position. Our problem is discipline.

Do we have undersized players? Yes...but that is due to the finesse crap we have been running.

If we were playing option offenses, our defense would be great with the speed it has...

Could not agree more. Which lead to one obvious solution to the problem..wait for it...wait for it... COACHING

SOONER44EVER
btw, I am totally dumbfounded when people believe that Mike wouldn't make the d better. What evidence do you have that says otherwise. As the d CORD here (not head coach, which is very different) he led the d to 4 straight years in top 10. Doesn't get any worse than that!!! He didn't have to defend against the spread every week. Neither did Bob at Florida.

ObiKaTony
12/4/2011, 05:30 PM
He didn't have to defend against the spread every week. Neither did Bob at Florida.

Recently, we can't defend against the option, spread, or pro style offense. So if mike was able to get 2 out of the 3, then it will be a step up.

Mike led his team in the top 5 in defense. We won our only national championship beating a very good offensive power known as FSU. If it was one year, then perhaps the point you made about the spread would have more meaning, however, he had 4 solid years. If anything, mike did more with less "talent" The boomer was not in sooner when Mike came here, and he was ranked 8th, then made gaines EVERY year in 3 out of 4 categories...

oumartin
12/4/2011, 05:31 PM
Could not agree more. Which lead to one obvious solution to the problem..wait for it...wait for it... COACHING

Did u say coaching? Omg how dare u. Its all Travis and landrys fault

Oh,and the plane crash

StoopTroup
12/4/2011, 05:34 PM
Recently, we can't defend against the option, spread, or pro style offense. So if mike was able to get 2 out of the 3, then it will be a step up.

Mike led his team in the top 5 in defense. We won our only national championship beating a very good offensive power known as FSU. If it was one year, then perhaps the point you made about the spread would have more meaning, however, he had 4 solid years. If anything, mike did more with less "talent" The boomer was not in sooner when Mike came here, and he was ranked 8th, then made gaines EVERY year in 3 out of 4 categories...

See post #27. There are some other ones that are good....but that one is really the one to get started with.

ObiKaTony
12/4/2011, 05:35 PM
Did u say coaching? Omg how dare u. Its all Travis and landrys fault

Oh,and the plane crash

wait just a second! it's also the fault of what Bob said was "his most talented class" The talent was there in the beginning of the season ladies and gents, and we fell off the map. We got progressivly worse every game. I liken those stats to the tenure of Venelbes. If you take a rolling average, we have gotten worse every year (08, we were ranked 8th) the rest upper 50's and it's pinnacle point 60 something now in total defense. (break down those numbers, and it looks even worse)

ObiKaTony
12/4/2011, 05:38 PM
I could be wrong, but I really think Mike is coming back. I don't see any reason why he would be on the sidelines during games, when many fans were already pointing out the inevitable

oumartin
12/4/2011, 05:39 PM
But we have no talent, bob was lying?

All the coaches on here say we have awesome coaches and not so good players.