PDA

View Full Version : Gabe Ikard seems to be the only one who gets it

ictsooner7
12/4/2011, 12:32 PM
“Nine-and-three is obviously not acceptable at the University of Oklahoma,” Ikard said.

We need to drop the landsharks crap and have this be our new motto. Bob needs to get it tattooed on his chest.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-a-sooner-season-begun-comes-to-end-not-acceptable-at-the-university-of-oklahoma/article/3629247#ixzz1faWUJLDo

EatLeadCommie
12/4/2011, 12:36 PM
sounds like Bob is blaming the offense from that article.

btb916
12/4/2011, 12:38 PM
sounds like Bob is blaming the offense from that article.

As he should.

prrriiide
12/4/2011, 12:40 PM
An OU defense spreading their butt cheeks to the tune of 44 points is inexcusable.

delhalew
12/4/2011, 12:42 PM
A sad state of affairs.

soonerinabilene
12/4/2011, 12:44 PM
An OU defense spreading their butt cheeks to the tune of 44 points is inexcusable.

A fumble return to the 1 and a fumble return for a td is 14 of those. The D holding that offense to 30 should have been good enough for a win if the offensive gameplan and execution made any sense at all...

toast
12/4/2011, 12:45 PM

Defense played poorly but they did not give up all 44 points, did you watch the game?

prrriiide
12/4/2011, 12:51 PM

A fumble return to the 1 and a fumble return for a td is 14 of those. The D holding that offense to 30 should have been good enough for a win if the offensive gameplan and execution made any sense at all...

IMO, an OU defense giving up 30 points is a dismal performance. If we ever want NC #8, our D will have to lead the way. A smothering, brick-wall defense beats a prolific offense 99 times out of 100.

Offense stunk it up last night, no doubt about it. Allowing the opposing offense 30 points when your own offense is struggling is bush langue.

Sooner_Tuf
12/4/2011, 01:00 PM
IMO, an OU defense giving up 30 points is a dismal performance. If we ever want NC #8, our D will have to lead the way. A smothering, brick-wall defense beats a prolific offense 99 times out of 100.

Offense stunk it up last night, no doubt about it. Allowing the opposing offense 30 points when your own offense is struggling is bush langue.

LMAO

SoonerKnight
12/4/2011, 01:01 PM

Did you actually watch the game? Not if you are spouting crap like this!!

Breadburner
12/4/2011, 01:04 PM
Did you actually watch the game? Not if you are spouting crap like this!!

+1........So simple....

SoonerorLater
12/4/2011, 01:05 PM
Over the past decade when its working well the OU offense was a thing of beauty. The trouble is we never won a championship even though we have had maybe the most prolific offenses during that time period. During this time we produced two Heisman Trophy QB's and numerous high round NFL picks. I am beginning to think that this type of offense, while fun to watch when it's clicking doesn't translate well to championship football. For one thing while it stresses the other teams defense it stresses ours as well and puts a burden on them for more possessions to stop. Also since our offense is so quarterback-centric it throws a monkey wrench in the entire game plan if our qb is having a less than stellar night. Our running game over the last decade has been no more than throwing left jabs until we hit the home run pass. We have been fortunate to have some really good QBs but it's not something you want to bet the farm on going forward.

I guess my point is until we can integrate an effective running game we are going to have problems. Both sides of the ball.

MamaMia
12/4/2011, 01:11 PM
The extremely HUGE amount of bucks stops with Stoops. He can blame anyone or anything but he is the one in charge of seeing to it that we are prepared, no matter the circumstances, to win our games.

oumartin
12/4/2011, 01:14 PM
The extremely HUGE amount of bucks stops with Stoops. He can blame anyone or anything but he is the one in charge of seeing to it that we are prepared, no matter the circumstances, to win our games.

Winner winner turkey pot pie dinner!!!!

Oh, and Venables sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

cantwait48
12/4/2011, 01:25 PM
Over the past decade when its working well the OU offense was a thing of beauty. The trouble is we never won a championship even though we have had maybe the most prolific offenses during that time period. During this time we produced two Heisman Trophy QB's and numerous high round NFL picks. I am beginning to think that this type of offense, while fun to watch when it's clicking doesn't translate well to championship football. For one thing while it stresses the other teams defense it stresses ours as well and puts a burden on them for more possessions to stop. Also since our offense is so quarterback-centric it throws a monkey wrench in the entire game plan if our qb is having a less than stellar night. Our running game over the last decade has been no more than throwing left jabs until we hit the home run pass. We have been fortunate to have some really good QBs but it's not something you want to bet the farm on going forward.

I guess my point is until we can integrate an effective running game we are going to have problems. Both sides of the ball.

seems to me if we could get the right coaching together offensively to implement an offense that can run the football with the way we have developed QBs over the years we could be very effective. Think if lsu or bama had a future nfl draft pick playing qb for them this year to go along with their Oline and running games.

MamaMia
12/4/2011, 01:33 PM
Maybe once Bobs mansion is finished, that was built with our money, and he doesn't have to be concerned over how many columns he wants on the veranda overlooking the swimming pools, or whether or not to go with granite or marble floors, walls and counter tops, he can concentrate more on coaching.

Oh wait...even when one of his coaches is calling plays hes not happy with. he just ignores it until half the game is over. So...Nevermind.

MamaMia
12/4/2011, 01:48 PM
As he should.Bob was not happy that Josh was calling passing plays instead of running the ball, yet he just bent over, pulling his pants up all along the sidelines, wherever the ball was placed, doing NOTHING about it until half the game was over. Last time I checked he does have the power to change the offensive scheme of things, including the play calling, so blaming the offense like that is weak sauce.

ictsooner7
12/4/2011, 01:50 PM

AMEN!

hawaii 5-0
12/4/2011, 01:52 PM
I'll start off early and announce that what I want for Christmas is for OU to have an outstanding Special Teams unit in the future.

LSU has one. Virginia Tech always has one. Why can't we?

5-0

oumartin
12/4/2011, 01:56 PM
I'll start off early and announce that what I want for Christmas is for OU to have an outstanding Special Teams unit in the future.

LSU has one. Virginia Tech always has one. Why can't we?

5-0

Bob says special teams are fine

Whet
12/4/2011, 02:03 PM
This game exposed Josh Heupel's inexperience at play calling and OSU's DC took advantage of that inexperience.
The Sooners all credited Oklahoma State's defensive scheming. OU threw 38 times in the first half, to only 10 runs. Most of that, the players and coaches said, was dictated by OSU showing blitzes that forced OU to throw (unsuccessfully).

Landry's passing acumen decreased throughout the year. His accuracy, receiver selection, and game presence all degraded through the season. Could it be a lack of coaching, with Heupel spending more time at OC and not QBs?

Tuesday's Coaches press conference will be full of "They out played us." "We got out coached." "They made more plays than us." "It is what it is." "I remember what is was like 11-12 years ago." and similar Stoops-speak. It would be nice to hear "We will evaluate our coaching staff and determine if any changes are needed to get back to the level we are expected to be at this university." - something like that.

The team became worse as the season wore on and I'm not a coach, player, or AD, but I do know something is not right with this program and needs to be addressed.

I am looking forward to the Spring 2012 game!

Dan Thompson
12/4/2011, 02:15 PM
We should have changed QB's at the beginning of the 4th qtr or sooner.

TXBOOMER
12/4/2011, 02:24 PM
Landry spotted them 14 with his fumbles. But the Defense was equally pathetic.

TXBOOMER
12/4/2011, 02:28 PM
This game exposed Josh Heupel's inexperience at play calling and OSU's DC took advantage of that inexperience.

Landry's passing acumen decreased throughout the year. His accuracy, receiver selection, and game presence all degraded through the season. Could it be a lack of coaching, with Heupel spending more time at OC and not QBs?

Tuesday's Coaches press conference will be full of "They out played us." "We got out coached." "They made more plays than us." "It is what it is." "I remember what is was like 11-12 years ago." and similar Stoops-speak. It would be nice to hear "We will evaluate our coaching staff and determine if any changes are needed to get back to the level we are expected to be at this university." - something like that.

The team became worse as the season wore on and I'm not a coach, player, or AD, but I do know something is not right with this program and needs to be addressed.

I am looking forward to the Spring 2012 game!

You are correct. I loved Josh as a player and QB coach. But we shouldn't have coach'es cutting their teeth as Coordinators at OU. They should be hiring proven coordintators at this point. That is on Bob.

SoonerorLater
12/4/2011, 02:33 PM
While Landry has kind of went south at the end of the year, I'm not convinced that replacing him with Blake Bell would be an answer. I think as an every down QB Bell would lose his luster pretty quick, at least at this point. While we do need to improve the running game it doesn't mean we can afford to lose what we do best which is to throw the ball. I just have a natural aversion to QBs with poor natural throwing motions. Maybe Bell will become a proficient passer but right now I would prefer to see a better more conventional running game.

LiveLaughLove
12/4/2011, 02:40 PM
seems to me if we could get the right coaching together offensively to implement an offense that can run the football with the way we have developed QBs over the years we could be very effective. Think if lsu or bama had a future nfl draft pick playing qb for them this year to go along with their Oline and running games.

The problem is whithout that passing attack, the great QBs arent coming here. They dont go to run based offenses. Thats why you have to imagine Bama or LSU with one, because they dont go there. They come here.

End our offense, and you end the great QBs too (unless a local boy is great and just wants to play for his local team).

SoonerorLater
12/4/2011, 03:07 PM
The problem is whithout that passing attack, the great QBs arent coming here. They dont go to run based offenses. Thats why you have to imagine Bama or LSU with one, because they dont go there. They come here.

End our offense, and you end the great QBs too (unless a local boy is great and just wants to play for his local team).

I don't see where it has to be either, or. I think you could recruit QBs very well even if they thought they would be throwing the ball 30 times a game instead of 40 or 50. Even if you couldn't what does it profit us to have great QBs and still be unable to reach the brass ring? To me the question is do we think we can be a championship team without an effective running game. I'm of the opinion we can not.

OUInformant
12/4/2011, 03:12 PM

Extremely well put.

sooneredaco
12/4/2011, 03:55 PM

You obviously didn't watch the same game I did if you credit the defense for those 44 points

sooneredaco
12/4/2011, 03:58 PM
Maybe once Bobs mansion is finished, that was built with our money, and he doesn't have to be concerned over how many columns he wants on the veranda overlooking the swimming pools, or whether or not to go with granite or marble floors, walls and counter tops, he can concentrate more on coaching.

Oh wait...even when one of his coaches is calling plays hes not happy with. he just ignores it until half the game is over. So...Nevermind.

It's not our money. It's his. Say what you will, but he's earned it. The program he's built has generated millions upon millions since he's been there. I'm not saying he shouldn't be accountable, but what he has built has brought in incredible amounts of revenue to the University and our State.

StoopTroup
12/4/2011, 04:04 PM
It's not our money. It's his. Say what you will, but he's earned it. The program he's built has generated millions upon millions since he's been there. I'm not saying he shouldn't be accountable, but what he has built has brought in incredible amounts of revenue to the University and our State.

Good Luck with whatever that post is supposed to accomplish. I mean...it's a good point but really.....some folks just want to go and tear down those damn sky boxes and start over. LOL

jkjsooner
12/4/2011, 04:27 PM
Good Luck with whatever that post is supposed to accomplish. I mean...it's a good point but really.....some folks just want to go and tear down those damn sky boxes and start over. LOL

I didn't write the original post but I'll add my own.

We all want to think that paying a coach $5 million a year will keep him motivated. The problem is that in most cases the exact opposite happens. Once someone becomes wealthy and money becomes no concern they often lose a little of their fire. You see it all the time with NFL players. I'm not saying that that is our problem but it does seem that our coaching staff has lost a little fire for one reason or another.

I personally feel it's time to let Stoops know that there are expectations and as enamored as we are with him and what he's done for our program, results like yesterday's game simply aren't acceptable.

I don't want to lose Stoops but I am wondering if he needs a little motivational kick. Frankly, I'm not scared of losing Stoops as I don't see too many top programs knocking on his door anymore.

Obviously our injuries hurt us quite a bit but we did a very poor job of recovering from them. Lots of teams have a lot of injuries. Some fold and some fight through it. We didn't exactly fold in the traditional sense as we kept winning games but considering where we should be at this point I would say we did fold.

OUTrumpet
12/4/2011, 04:31 PM

Not even the 01 defense could do much against an opponent with 5 turnovers - were 2 for scores, 1 down to the 1 yard line? And are out there almost the entire game due to offense punting so much or turning the ball over...

MamaMia
12/4/2011, 04:43 PM
It's not our money. It's his. Say what you will, but he's earned it. The program he's built has generated millions upon millions since he's been there. I'm not saying he shouldn't be accountable, but what he has built has brought in incredible amounts of revenue to the University and our State.No he hasn't earned all those millions. His loyalties are with the players earning awards and accolades and getting them cushy NFL positions, his fellow coaching childhood buddies and friends. He is NOT the same coach he was when he came here and won a National Championship with Blake's recruits. Hes lost his hunger. What he has built, other than his mansion, is a team that is always a day late or a dollar short, doesn't have a Plan B when a player gets hurt, loses to low rate teams like Tech at home, and just lost to Baylor and oSu, with his ongoing misdirected blame and repeated excuses.

C&CDean
12/4/2011, 04:44 PM
Glen, in all honesty, you should stay the **** away from a computer for at least a week after we lose. Seriously, you're going all marty here and it's not attractive. At all.

EatLeadCommie
12/4/2011, 04:53 PM
While that is true, I get the feeling that OSU could have scored rather easiliy if we were within 2 TDs of them late.

MamaMia
12/4/2011, 04:54 PM
Glen, in all honesty, you should stay the **** away from a computer for at least a week after we lose. Seriously, you're going all marty here and it's not attractive. At all.Its not as if The University Oklahoma and our tradition didn't exist when Stoops got here. I was at that game last night in the freezing cold, cheering for my team wondering where all the other Sooners who were usually there were, and quite frankly wondering where the old Stoops and my team were. I have earned the right to express my opinion. You don't have to agree, oh Attractive One.

OUInformant
12/4/2011, 04:59 PM
We need to make changes to the way we play football, not just execute better what we're doing now.

I remember Tom Osborne making adjustments to the offenses and defenses he ran, to compete with the other best teams. We need to do the same.

StoopTroup
12/4/2011, 05:01 PM
I didn't write the original post but I'll add my own.

We all want to think that paying a coach $5 million a year will keep him motivated. The problem is that in most cases the exact opposite happens. Once someone becomes wealthy and money becomes no concern they often lose a little of their fire. You see it all the time with NFL players. I'm not saying that that is our problem but it does seem that our coaching staff has lost a little fire for one reason or another.

I personally feel it's time to let Stoops know that there are expectations and as enamored as we are with him and what he's done for our program, results like yesterday's game simply aren't acceptable.

I don't want to lose Stoops but I am wondering if he needs a little motivational kick. Frankly, I'm not scared of losing Stoops as I don't see too many top programs knocking on his door anymore.

Obviously our injuries hurt us quite a bit but we did a very poor job of recovering from them. Lots of teams have a lot of injuries. Some fold and some fight through it. We didn't exactly fold in the traditional sense as we kept winning games but considering where we should be at this point I would say we did fold.

I tell ya....I think you are out of your mind about them being lazy or lacking motivation. I ran into him before the ISU Game and he wasn't wearing any jewelry or Armani Saban Suits....he was dressed like a guy that was an Assistant Coach somewhere. I think a lot of folks have the wrong idea about him and money. I think the money comes strictly from the University and Castiglione trying to make and keep the guy who has basically helped build a massive structure over the Eastside Stands and the Switzer Center, Offices, weight room, Training rooms, Equipment Rooms and all the other things we now have on Campus right now.

He sees Norman and the University of Oklahoma Football Program as a gift. Sure he's quick to snap up the money but it's done to make sure he's happy here and maybe it's too much but I know I wasn't the one that paid it to him and I think he's earned it. Did he earn it this year? Maybe Coaches earn it more in bad seasons than any Winning Season. I think the guy basically walked into Norman and did exactly what he said he'd do....."Play for Championships". So far in 11 years....he's played for 4.

That's a pretty staggering number these days. Sure it would have been cool if he'd won all 4 but he's done exactly what he's been paid to do and that's put OU's rich Tradition of Football back on the map and in doing so....he's helped a lot of guys with their careers. He doesn't fire guys.

Folks now want him to be something he's not. It's never enough for us. Our appetite is always never quenched. I think a bunch of folks would have a GD Heart Attack if he walked in tomorrow and asked to talk with another Team or the NFL. I don't think you'll ever see that happen unless Boren and/or Castiglione leave however.

If you notice folks like Sherri Coale....She doesn't dress all up when she's roaming around at football games. She dresses like a normal human being. When she's on the Court she dresses the Part of a HC. Most of the Coaching Staff you see in Norman aren't a bunch or money grabbing idiots who live their life to show out....they are pretty normal from what I see. I guess there are plenty of folks who live in Norman who might correct me on this but when I've been there other than Game Days and I run into them...they are nice as can be and really generous.

Ikard can have a few moments in front of the mic but I'm sure he'll get to do a few extras for that little outburst is my guess.

SOONER44EVER
12/4/2011, 05:01 PM
We need to make changes to the way we play football, not just execute better what we're doing now.

I remember Tom Osborne making adjustments to the offenses and defenses he ran, to compete with the other best teams. We need to do the same. Osborne was/is a better coach than Stoops. He just had the misfortune of going up against the King.

SOONER44EVER
12/4/2011, 05:02 PM
Ikard can have a few moments in front of the mic but I'm sure he'll get to do a few extras for that little outburst is my guess. Getting punished for telling the truth sucks.

C&CDean
12/4/2011, 05:03 PM
Its not as if The University Oklahoma and our tradition didn't exist when Stoops got here. I was at that game last night in the freezing cold, cheering for my team wondering where all the other Sooners who were usually there were, and quite frankly wondering where the old Stoops and my team were. I have earned the right to express my opinion. You don't have to agree, oh Attractive One.

Yeah, we heard you already. One thousand, four hundred sixty three times now. It doesn't make your opinion on the matter correct or even valid. You expect perfection, and this team is very, VERY far from that. We all are taking it hard since the expectations (I warned folks back in August to temper their enthusiasm/believing the hype) were so very high. Nothing short of a perfect season and a NC would be acceptable this year. After the Tech loss, the fans gave up, and the team gave up. The coaches? Not so much. If you think you're frustrated with our performance (especially last night) how do you think they feel? What exactly is it you want Bob to do in the middle of a game that our team is self-destructing? Call a timeout and fire a coach on the spot? Bench the whole team and forfeit the game?

Our team quit (and it ain't the first time). Is it Bob's fault? Ultimately, like you say, the buck stops at the top. However, anyone with half a brain can see what's happened this year. Between the death, injuries, players thinking NFL, prima donnas, horse**** shark attack bullcrap, a defensive player who would be a better cheerleader than linebacker, and on and on and on. This year's team is effing weird/psycho.

goingoneight
12/4/2011, 05:06 PM
OSU was going to wax our asses regardless of what our gameplan was. It'd have at least been a game if we hadn't turned the ball over 5 times.

StoopTroup
12/4/2011, 05:07 PM
Yeah, we heard you already. One thousand, four hundred sixty three times now. It doesn't make your opinion on the matter correct or even valid. You expect perfection, and this team is very, VERY far from that. We all are taking it hard since the expectations (I warned folks back in August to temper their enthusiasm/believing the hype) were so very high. Nothing short of a perfect season and a NC would be acceptable this year. After the Tech loss, the fans gave up, and the team gave up. The coaches? Not so much. If you think you're frustrated with our performance (especially last night) how do you think they feel? What exactly is it you want Bob to do in the middle of a game that our team is self-destructing? Call a timeout and fire a coach on the spot? Bench the whole team and forfeit the game?

Our team quit (and it ain't the first time). Is it Bob's fault? Ultimately, like you say, the buck stops at the top. However, anyone with half a brain can see what's happened this year. Between the death, injuries, players thinking NFL, prima donnas, horse**** shark attack bullcrap, a defensive player who would be a better cheerleader than linebacker, and on and on and on. This year's team is effing weird/psycho.

Great post.

cccasooner2
12/4/2011, 05:17 PM
Bob says special teams are fine

Well then, what the heck are we complaining about? A special teams coach does not have to make tackles, the players do. I learned that from a Mr. Obvious expert on here named Dean.

Since71ASooner4Life
12/4/2011, 05:19 PM

This is exactly what I've been thinking about for some time now. Fun to watch 50 points put up against weaker opponents, but as a few posters back said, NC's are built around smothering defenses (and strong clock eating run offenses that wear down opposing defenses), A lot of people like to whine about the praise the better teams in the SEC get, but their dominance in recent years cannot be denied, and that's exactly how they have done it. I'd be real curious to know how our average time of possession compares during the last 5 or 6 years. I'm not one to criticize our coaches because this style of play has definitely been embraced by many teams across the country and we were pioneers in getting it going, but now that so many opponents are doing the same thing it is as you say, putting a ton of pressure on our defense by running them out there every few minutes to face a hurry up offense.

C&CDean
12/4/2011, 05:41 PM
Well then, what the heck are we complaining about? A special teams coach does not have to make tackles, the players do. I learned that from a Mr. Obvious expert on here named Dean.

You quote marty like he has a clue. You obviously haven't learned near enough.

StoopTroup
12/4/2011, 05:42 PM
Marty has 20,000 posts and 15,000 of them have BV Sucks in them.

cccasooner2
12/4/2011, 05:45 PM

Well then, that settles it, BV must go.

jkjsooner
12/4/2011, 05:53 PM
I tell ya....I think you are out of your mind about them being lazy or lacking motivation. I ran into him before the ISU Game and he wasn't wearing any jewelry or Armani Saban Suits....he was dressed like a guy that was an Assistant Coach somewhere.

I don't think you got my message. I never said or implied that he was flaunting the money or that he wasn't a normal down to earth guy. I also never implied that he wasn't grateful.

What I did say was that when some guys become financial secure (and "secure" hardly means wearing Armani suits) they lose some of that drive.

Hell, I only saw 1.5 quarters yesterday because my boss called and said our corporate lawyers needed us to research some stuff by 8 AM Monday. (I ain't a lawyer - just a software engineer.) That's not too much to ask if I made $5 million a year but if that were the case and I was pretty much financially secure I might have said, "F' off until the game is over." Maybe not cause I wouldn't be able to replace such a lucrative job but who knows?

I didn't even say Stoops has lost his fire because of that reason but I did speculate that that may be a contributing factor.

SoonerKnight
12/4/2011, 06:01 PM
Let me tell you something about Stoops. My moms church does a Christmas in July for kids that are terminally ill and will never see Christmas. For that one day they get to celebrate Christmas and pretend that for that day things are normal. They know they are not going to live another few months. Stoops was contacted through friends of friends and asked to be there for the kids. Not only did he say yes but his stipulation was zero press. None. He wanted nothing for this. He wanted this to be about the children and not him. The press would have taken that day away from them and he made sure they had their day. He signed autographs and talked to every child there. He did this because he is a down to earth guy.

usmc-sooner
12/4/2011, 06:03 PM

You have ~58k posts, and a 55k of those are long winded, drug induced nonsensical ramblings.

usmc-sooner
12/4/2011, 06:04 PM
I vote we move on by Monday. I think Stoops will right the ship.

SoonerKnight
12/4/2011, 06:11 PM
I vote we move on by Monday. I think Stoops will right the ship.

Funny you say that. I was going to mention that it is a 4 year cycle. See 2000 MNC, 2003 and then 2004 we go to the MNC. Then in 2008 we get to the MNC. Now 2012 would be 4 years. So we should expect that to be the year!!! Oh and we better have a team that is majority okies!!

StoopTroup
12/4/2011, 06:14 PM
You have ~58k posts, and a 55k of those are long winded, drug induced nonsensical ramblings.

Do you go down and push disabled veterans out of their wheelchairs still?

usmc-sooner
12/4/2011, 06:22 PM
ok 55k +1

jokes learn how to take them dude.

cccasooner2
12/4/2011, 06:27 PM

I remember a bunch of these:

in a great, nonsensical way, of course.

oumartin
12/4/2011, 06:31 PM
Do you go down and push disabled veterans out of their wheelchairs still?

Sometimes I'm a dip**** and need to take a week off.

goingoneight
12/4/2011, 07:02 PM
To the OP,

I'm sure Gabe Ikard is the ONLY one who "gets it."

I'm SO sure of that...

soonerinbixby
12/5/2011, 02:27 PM
I love Bob Stoops and everything he stands for. He puts his family and people 1st like any good football coach should but I don't like the fact that he won't answer any questions. His press conferences are terrible and he will not answer any good, tough questions that are thrown at him. He needs to speak up and make some changes or do something. He acts like everything is good in Norman but we all know it is far from that. This team has internal issues and they also had injuries that killed them down the stretch. Is this the only Stoops team that has gotten worse at the end of the season? Has anyone heard anything about Mike Stoops buying a house in Norman last week? I heard that from a contractor in Norman that deals with a lady in real estate and he told me it was straight up the truth.

rainiersooner
12/5/2011, 03:27 PM

Is THAT how I can increase my post count? Sweeeeeeet!

rainiersooner
12/5/2011, 03:30 PM

Venables really sucks guys.

rainiersooner
12/5/2011, 03:30 PM

Stoops makes too much money to care about winning anymore. Rich people are lazy.

TUSooner
12/5/2011, 03:55 PM
****Also since our offense is so quarterback-centric it throws a monkey wrench in the entire game plan if our qb is having a less than stellar night. Our running game over the last decade has been no more than throwing left jabs until we hit the home run pass. We have been fortunate to have some really good QBs but it's not something you want to bet the farm on going forward.

I guess my point is until we can integrate an effective running game we are going to have problems. Both sides of the ball. I have thought thios for some time, but I put it like this: Our offense is a fancy-schmancy intricate but temperamental machine, kinda like an Italian sports car; it does amazing things when it works, but a grain of sand in the wrong spot, or one part out of sync, reduces the whole thing to a smoking heap at the side of the road. It's like we have a Ferrari at a destruction debry when we need the equivalent of an old Russian T-34 tank (or an AK-47, or even a fricking Timex - something that can perform when the going gets tough, you know?) I hate to mention LSU again, but they have 2 obscenely mediocre QBs, which added togther don't equal 1 LJ for skill. But guess what? They don't NEED need no stinking QB because they run over your pretty little Ferrari like they're driving that old Russian tank. I'm just sayin we ought to be more like that instead of depending on an offense with too many moving and breakable parts.

rainiersooner
12/5/2011, 04:15 PM
I hate to mention LSU again, but they have 2 obscenely mediocre QBs, which added togther don't equal 1 LJ for skill. But guess what? They don't NEED need no stinking QB because they run over your pretty little Ferrari like they're driving that old Russian tank. I'm just sayin we ought to be more like that instead of depending on an offense with too many moving and breakable parts.

Great point. Because this LSU team seems to have so few stars, they play as a team and aren't as susceptible to injuries, suspensions, etc.

stoopified
12/5/2011, 04:20 PM
Failure to execute extends throughout the whole team in this game- coaching staff,offense,defense,special teams,waterboys,trainers,etc.

76soonergrad
12/5/2011, 04:34 PM
I love Bob Stoops and everything he stands for. He puts his family and people 1st like any good football coach should but I don't like the fact that he won't answer any questions. His press conferences are terrible and he will not answer any good, tough questions that are thrown at him. He needs to speak up and make some changes or do something. He acts like everything is good in Norman but we all know it is far from that. This team has internal issues and they also had injuries that killed them down the stretch. Is this the only Stoops team that has gotten worse at the end of the season? Has anyone heard anything about Mike Stoops buying a house in Norman last week? I heard that from a contractor in Norman that deals with a lady in real estate and he told me it was straight up the truth.

Word in Ohio is that Mike Stoops will be offered a co-defensive coordinator job for Urban at tOSU.

LVSOONER15
12/5/2011, 04:35 PM
Great point. Because this LSU team seems to have so few stars, they play as a team and aren't as susceptible to injuries, suspensions, etc.

This. LSU play aggressive as whole team. They run the ball down your throat and they keep hitting you like their red headed step child on defense. Look at the past NC winners, they all had great defenses that stopped supposedly high scoring/caliber offenses.

pphilfran
12/5/2011, 04:40 PM
This. LSU play aggressive as whole team. They run the ball down your throat and they keep hitting you like their red headed step child on defense. Look at the past NC winners, they all had great defenses that stopped supposedly high scoring/caliber offenses.

Auburn last year was the exception and was 60th in total d and and 108 in passing d...also 24 point a game allowed for a 53 ranking...

SoonerorLater
12/5/2011, 06:10 PM
I have thought thios for some time, but I put it like this: Our offense is a fancy-schmancy intricate but temperamental machine, kinda like an Italian sports car; it does amazing things when it works, but a grain of sand in the wrong spot, or one part out of sync, reduces the whole thing to a smoking heap at the side of the road. It's like we have a Ferrari at a destruction debry when we need the equivalent of an old Russian T-34 tank (or an AK-47, or even a fricking Timex - something that can perform when the going gets tough, you know?) I hate to mention LSU again, but they have 2 obscenely mediocre QBs, which added togther don't equal 1 LJ for skill. But guess what? They don't NEED need no stinking QB because they run over your pretty little Ferrari like they're driving that old Russian tank. I'm just sayin we ought to be more like that instead of depending on an offense with too many moving and breakable parts.

Yes, sort of de-centralizing the offense. Even when you have a QB like Sam Bradford things can go south with one bad hit.

arcman46
12/5/2011, 07:23 PM

That and 3 more turnovers.

arcman46
12/5/2011, 07:36 PM
Stoops makes too much money to care about winning anymore. Rich people are lazy.

You must be part of the Occupy 99% crowd.

Soonermagik
12/5/2011, 08:16 PM
It's funny, because I rip into the players and people on here cry. Wake up, people. These players get that this was a terrible season.. at least most of them do. This is OU... 3 losses when you're this loaded with talent is unacceptable!!!

StoopTroup
12/5/2011, 08:24 PM
It's funny, because I rip into the players and people on here cry. Wake up, people. These players get that this was a terrible season.. at least most of them do. This is OU 3 losses when you're this loaded with talent is unacceptable!!!

I can accept that but Ikard's little speech kind of left folks hanging in a way that it might be the Coaches that had given them an impossible task. I don't think they do that....if anything....maybe they don't challenge 5 guys because they have one that can't measure up? Again...we don't really know for sure but if he was just saying that the Team needs to put this behind them and make sure it stops now and next year...we won't see these kind of collapses, Fine.