PDA

View Full Version : It comes down to coaching, or lack of it

kenth68
12/4/2011, 12:04 PM
Every problem with the losses this season to TT, Baylor and now OSU comes down to a coaching problem. All these young men on the team are talented, no other way they got on the team. So they all have the capability to make plays and work as a team. Losing a starter here or there shouldn't cause the awful game we saw last night.

I'm not advocating getting rid of any coaches necessarily, but they need to re-examine their priorities. One of the things I'm really not a fan of is this offensive co-coordinator. Make one person responsible; too many cooks, etc. But the biggest problem I see is getting the team mentally ready to play. That means not allowing them to bask in the media's hype from before the first game, especially not all season long. Don't pigeonhole the team into believing their success rests on the shoulders of one or two star players. Make them understand that they win and lose as a team.

OU center Ben Habern: “We thought it was going to come down to the fourth quarter and whoever made the big play was going to win. It ended up not being that way.”

What made him think that it was a foregone conclusion that they would stay with OSU, or rather, OSU would keep up with them until the 4th quarter and some playmaker would make the difference? That's exactly how they played too, except by the fourth, OU pretty much gave up. I've seen teams, including OSU, getting routed by OU but they kept doing their best until the final buzzer. That's what bothers me so much about the loss last night. A loss I can accept, especially if OU plays hard all four. A loss while mentally giving up is tough to watch.

They have to be coached to understand that the past records means nothing before each game. They have to earn the legacy past Sooner teams put before them, they aren't entitled to it.