PDA

View Full Version : I want 50 coaches

lasooner123
12/4/2011, 01:49 AM
that are better than stoops. not necessarily more productive but at least do more with less.
1 Bill Snyder
2 Les Miles
3 Nick Saban
4 Urban Meyer
5 Gary Patterson
6 Chris peterson
7 Art Briles
8 Mike Gundy
9 Jimbo Fisher
10 Brett Beilema
11 Chip Kelly
12 kevin sumlin
13 brian kelly
14 Brady Hoke
15 larry Fedora
16 Bobby Petrino
17 Pat Fitzgerald
18 Steve Spurrier
20 frank beamer
21 Gene Chizik
22 Dan Mullen
23 randy edsall
24 lane kiffin
25 mike leach
26 david cutcliffe
27 greg shiano
28 al golden
29 patt hill
30 jim grobe
31 june jones
32 kirk ferentz
33 tommy tuberville
34 kyle whittingham
35 tim beckman
36 larry blakeny
37 todd graham
38 paul rhoads
39 dana holgorson
40 mark dantonio
41 mario cristobal
42 chris ault

need some help finishing out my list....idk if i wanna delve into coaches that have left the college game in the last couple yrs like harbaugh and carrol

OKLA21FAN
12/4/2011, 01:52 AM
where is john
blake? (idiot)

landrun
The majority of these coaches would have had a better season with this team then the current coaching staff did.

This idea that this staff is not replaceable is total myth. I think the apologists are just scared of another John Blake episode so they're willing to stick with the familiar and hope to get lucky then be proactive and take steps to solve obvious problems.

Soonerus
You are selling Stoops short...

agoo758
I disagree with Kirk Ferentz, Tommy Tuberville, and Dan Mullen. You could make a case for the rest.

Considering what Harbaugh did at Standford, he absolutely belongs on that list.

landrun
12/4/2011, 01:53 AM
where is john
blake?
I have no idea. But his defense were better than a lot of the ones Stoops has put on the field.

Soonerus
12/4/2011, 01:54 AM
You are stupid....

lasooner123
12/4/2011, 02:24 AM
You are stupid....
Thank you sir. but i would appreciate a concrete counter argument. some of these guys have comparable talent and produce better. some of these have much much less talent but get more out of their guys. how many of these guys would you take off the list

SicEmBaylor
12/4/2011, 03:00 AM
I think Stoops has become too "corporate" in how he runs the football program. He was scrappy, edgy, and took risks when he first arrived. OU plays not to lose far more often than it plays to throat stomp everyone in its path.

OUstud
12/4/2011, 03:21 AM
that are better than stoops. not necessarily more productive but at least do more with less.
1 Bill Snyder
2 Les Miles
3 Nick Saban
4 Urban Meyer This guy has a couple of 8-4 duds under his belt.
5 Gary Patterson
6 Chris peterson I think BSU falls off the map next year. If he were to take a bigger job I think it would end similarly to Hawkins at CU.
7 Art Briles We'll see how he is without RGIII
8 Mike Gundy
9 Jimbo Fisher lol
10 Brett Beilema
11 Chip Kelly
12 kevin sumlin Nope. Don't see it. Without Keenum UH was miserable.
13 brian kelly
14 Brady Hoke
15 larry Fedora
16 Bobby Petrino
17 Pat Fitzgerald
18 Steve Spurrier
20 frank beamer
21 Gene Chizik No Cam, yes problems.
22 Dan Mullen
23 randy edsall Only at UConn.
24 lane kiffin
25 mike leach
26 david cutcliffe I guess...if leading Duke to 4 wins is considered doing more with less
27 greg shiano
28 al golden
29 patt hill Fresno has been swimming in mediocrity for the last decade. That "anytime, anywhere" schtick was ahead of its time and made him out to be a better coach than he actually is...
30 jim grobe
31 june jones
32 kirk ferentz lol
33 tommy tuberville lol
34 kyle whittingham
35 tim beckman
36 larry blakeny
37 todd graham
38 paul rhoads
39 dana holgorson
40 mark dantonio
41 mario cristobal Under this logic, Turner Gill could be on this list because he did "more with less" at Buffalo
42 chris ault

need some help finishing out my list....idk if i wanna delve into coaches that have left the college game in the last couple yrs like harbaugh and carrol

I could go on about most of the coaches, but those were the ones that stood out the most to me. Soonerinstlw is right the next post down (this is an edit), you can't measure a coach's worth based on whether he can get more out of less. Like I said on #41, Cristobal is doing the same thing Gill did at Buffalo. You wouldn't put him on this list right? Some of those names have their moments at smaller BCS schools (Grobe), but there's probably a reason they haven't gotten a big time job. I don't think Todd f-ing Graham would have won more than 9 games with this team.

soonerinstlw
12/4/2011, 03:22 AM
Thank you sir. but i would appreciate a concrete counter argument. some of these guys have comparable talent and produce better. some of these have much much less talent but get more out of their guys. how many of these guys would you take off the list

I will give it a go. Your arguement is a straw man's arguement that can never be proved or disproved. (I realize that is a redundant statement.) Simply stating that someone gets more out of their guys is completely subjective and is a baseless arguement. Your original post states that these coaches are not necessarily more productive but do more with less. What does that even mean? They do more, but don't produce more. So what exactly is it that they "do."

Moving past the fact that you actually said nothing, I will try and play with what I assume was your intention. I would bet that one could have made a similar list 5 (or any other random number) years ago. Some of those individuals from that list have moved on to big programs with big expectations and have fallen off of the map. It is hard to maintain the level that Stoops does. Just ask..... I am having trouble finding someone to ask because there are not too many who do it. Year in and year out, OU is in the top 10 and in the competition for titles. They do it the right way (without cheating) and, in my opinion, the honorable way. If that is not good enough for you, I suggest you make a list of 50 other teams to root for and choose one.

Oh, and explain to me what Miles and Saban have less of... character? perhaps ignorant/inappreciative fans?

Peeb
12/4/2011, 03:29 AM
Dang- come in off that ledge.

Stoops is a fantastic coach. An absolutely terrible run of luck has derailed a promising run at the MNC this year, but the Sooners are in good hands.

I'm an OSU grad, and I would LOVE to see Stoops go. He's been a nightmare to us (notwithstanding the game just ended).

Deep cleansing breaths. It's gonna be OK. You're an elite program. It's going to be fine.

soonerinstlw
12/4/2011, 03:40 AM
I never thought I would say this, but the OSU fans are the rational ones tonight.

SicEmBaylor
12/4/2011, 03:46 AM
I'm puzzled by the people who act as if Briles can't successfully coach without RGIII. He has been a winner at every level of the game he's coached. Stephenville had a dreadful HS program that hadn't made the playoffs since 1950...when Briles took over they made the playoffs every single year including four state championships. Houston's program was in almost as bad shape having gone completely winless just a year or two before Briles took over. And for those people who think that his recruiting of RGIII was like a one-time lottery win...he also recruited Keenum.

I can count on one hand the number of conference wins that Baylor had before Briles before he came to Baylor. He has now taken us to a bowl two years in a row including a 9 (maybe 10) win season....at Baylor.

And I would expect people with more football knowledge not to say crap like, "it's all RGIII." RGIII is very very very good. However, he can't catch those balls himself. He needs pretty damned good receivers to do that. He doesn't carry every rush. We have a damned good RB for that. He can't protect himself in the pocket. We have a pretty good OL that does that.

Most importantly, those receivers aren't out running around the field in random patterns hoping the ball comes to them. RGIII doesn't call the plays. Our RBs don't grab the ball and just start running hoping for the best. No, the coach does that. Who is the actual OC at Baylor? Briles calls the plays. Briles comes up with his own plays and doesn't even write them down in a playbook. There is no such thing as the Baylor playbook.

Make no mistake about it....Art Briles can f'n coach.

olevetonahill
12/4/2011, 03:49 AM
k how about yer ****in INSANE ?

Prodigal
12/4/2011, 04:03 AM
LOL.

I was at the game where Briles' Houston team got blown out by 50+ to Tulsa a few years ago. Do you remember that turd he dropped? No you don't because you only remember the stuff that fits in your tiny brain to start with.

1 Bill Snyder
2 Les Miles
3 Nick Saban
4 Urban Meyer
5 Gary Patterson
6 Chris peterson
7 Art Briles
8 Mike Gundy
9 Jimbo Fisher
10 Brett Beilema
11 Chip Kelly
12 kevin sumlin
13 brian kelly
14 Brady Hoke
15 larry Fedora
16 Bobby Petrino
17 Pat Fitzgerald
18 Steve Spurrier
20 frank beamer
21 Gene Chizik
22 Dan Mullen
23 randy edsall
24 lane kiffin
25 mike leach
26 david cutcliffe
27 greg shiano
28 al golden
29 patt hill
30 jim grobe
31 june jones
32 kirk ferentz
33 tommy tuberville
34 kyle whittingham
35 tim beckman
36 larry blakeny
37 todd graham
38 paul rhoads
39 dana holgorson
40 mark dantonio
41 mario cristobal
42 chris ault

Prodigal
12/4/2011, 04:07 AM
I'm puzzled by the people who act as if Briles can't successfully coach without RGIII. He has been a winner at every level of the game he's coached. Stephenville had a dreadful HS program that hadn't made the playoffs since 1950...when Briles took over they made the playoffs every single year including four state championships. Houston's program was in almost as bad shape having gone completely winless just a year or two before Briles took over. And for those people who think that his recruiting of RGIII was like a one-time lottery win...he also recruited Keenum.

I can count on one hand the number of conference wins that Baylor had before Briles before he came to Baylor. He has now taken us to a bowl two years in a row including a 9 (maybe 10) win season....at Baylor.

And I would expect people with more football knowledge not to say crap like, "it's all RGIII." RGIII is very very very good. However, he can't catch those balls himself. He needs pretty damned good receivers to do that. He doesn't carry every rush. We have a damned good RB for that. He can't protect himself in the pocket. We have a pretty good OL that does that.

Most importantly, those receivers aren't out running around the field in random patterns hoping the ball comes to them. RGIII doesn't call the plays. Our RBs don't grab the ball and just start running hoping for the best. No, the coach does that. Who is the actual OC at Baylor? Briles calls the plays. Briles comes up with his own plays and doesn't even write them down in a playbook. There is no such thing as the Baylor playbook.

Make no mistake about it....Art Briles can f'n coach.

All very true, and yet Tulsa beat him in his last year at Houston by about 60 points.

SicEmBaylor
12/4/2011, 04:10 AM
LOL.

I was at the game where Briles' Houston team got blown out by 50+ to Tulsa a few years ago. Do you remember that turd he dropped? No you don't because you only remember the stuff that fits in your tiny brain to start with.

LOL

Do you remember the last bowl game that Houston was even in before Briles got there? No you don't because you only remember what you want to remember. I'll take getting blown out in a bowl game over not getting to a bowl game at all.

SicEmBaylor
12/4/2011, 04:12 AM
All very true, and yet Tulsa beat him in his last year at Houston by about 60 points.Yeah, it happens to even good coaches.

sooneredaco
12/4/2011, 04:13 AM
The majority of these coaches would have had a better season with this team then the current coaching staff did.

This idea that this staff is not replaceable is total myth. I think the apologists are just scared of another John Blake episode so they're willing to stick with the familiar and hope to get lucky then be proactive and take steps to solve obvious problems.

Funniest post of the year. Thanks for the laugh bro. But seriously where did you score your hydro from?

sooneredaco
12/4/2011, 04:19 AM
1 Bill Snyder
2 Les Miles
3 Nick Saban
4 Urban Meyer
5 Gary Patterson
6 Chris peterson
7 Art Briles
8 Mike Gundy
9 Jimbo Fisher
10 Brett Beilema
11 Chip Kelly
12 kevin sumlin
13 brian kelly
14 Brady Hoke
15 larry Fedora
16 Bobby Petrino
17 Pat Fitzgerald
18 Steve Spurrier
20 frank beamer
21 Gene Chizik
22 Dan Mullen
23 randy edsall
24 lane kiffin
25 mike leach
26 david cutcliffe
27 greg shiano
28 al golden
29 patt hill
30 jim grobe
31 june jones
32 kirk ferentz
33 tommy tuberville
34 kyle whittingham
35 tim beckman
36 larry blakeny
37 todd graham
38 paul rhoads
39 dana holgorson
40 mark dantonio
41 mario cristobal
42 chris ault

Hey I have an idea.... leave!

Thanks for playing who wants to be an idiot with your hostess with the mostess Lasersooner!!

Yay! That was fun :cool:

But seriously leave and take your idiotic, baseless, and incredibly subjective (mind you still idiotic), posts with you.

And holla back at us when all those 50 guys accumulate the hardware Stoops has at one program.

Better yet go become like a Boise fan or maybe I don't know TCU or some other wanna be program.

FrostySooner
12/4/2011, 04:23 AM
I would take Stoops over all of them. He just needs to regain the swagger he had when he first started is all. Plus, bring in some new assistant coaches.

Prodigal
12/4/2011, 04:25 AM
LOL

Do you remember the last bowl game that Houston was even in before Briles got there? No you don't because you only remember what you want to remember. I'll take getting blown out in a bowl game over not getting to a bowl game at all.

You're really something. Making the statement that I remember only what I want is totally ridiculous. I remember all of Stoops seasons and games very well. I remember what things were like when he got here and I remember ALL the stuff between then and now and I remember the huge losses that even the best coaches have from time to time. Hence using Briles as an example because he is the flavor of the month. I lived in Fort Worth when he was coaching high school. I know a lot about him. He has obviously been very good so far and may end up being great. And yet he has had a worse defeat than even Stoops' USC game. It happens. The OP and others don't ever remember those, just the bad ones their own coach has.

But thanks for jumping in to a reply to someone else and twisting it.

SicEmBaylor
12/4/2011, 04:55 AM
You're really something. Making the statement that I remember only what I want is totally ridiculous. I remember all of Stoops seasons and games very well. I remember what things were like when he got here and I remember ALL the stuff between then and now and I remember the huge losses that even the best coaches have from time to time. Hence using Briles as an example because he is the flavor of the month.
I don't know the degree to which Briles is the "flavor of the month." I neither know nor care. My point wasn't that he should replace anyone in particular; my point is that he is clearly a good coach even without RGIII as his career would indicated. You're the one that laughed that off, so my assumption was that you did not believe he's a good coach without RGIII.

I lived in Fort Worth when he was coaching high school. I know a lot about him. He has obviously been very good so far and may end up being great. And yet he has had a worse defeat than even Stoops' USC game. It happens. The OP and others don't ever remember those, just the bad ones their own coach has.
Okay, he's had a worse loss than Stoops. So what? Is that blowout loss an indicator that he's a bad coach without RGIII? It means he had a really really bad game, and we both agree it happens to everyone.[/QUOTE]

Twisting? How exactly? You're the one that found the concept of Briles being so funny that you laughed it off and brought up a blowout loss to Tulsa. You said what you said -- I'm not twisting a thing.

wishbonesooner
12/4/2011, 06:24 AM
I would take Stoops over all of them. He just needs to regain the swagger he had when he first started is all. Plus, bring in some new assistant coaches.

Here's the flaw in that logic.We lost 5 BCS games in a row. No changes made. Bob has had plenty of time to make changes. His ego won't let him. Unless Joe C. makes him, he won't this time either. You want some fun, look at boards from teams around the country.

sooneredaco
12/4/2011, 10:03 AM

Here's the flaw in that logic.We lost 5 BCS games in a row. No changes made. Bob has had plenty of time to make changes. His ego won't let him. Unless Joe C. makes him, he won't this time either. You want some fun, look at boards from teams around the country.

I really don't give fu*k what other teams message boards say. The fact that others do blows my mind. I think that changes are needed, and I feel that they will be made

C&CDean
12/4/2011, 10:41 AM
What a stupid thread.