PDA

View Full Version : Ronnell Lewis was Cleared but suspended????

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 12:22 AM
Did anyone else hear that in the post game press conference?

I heard it.

And people on rivals are saying because he has missed too many classes. That he has taken the "I'm gone to the NFL so no classes for me approach."

SoonerDood
12/4/2011, 12:22 AM
we've seen the last of the Hammer most likely.

LawtonBoy74
12/4/2011, 12:24 AM
It won't be the first or last time that someone's given up in this program

Blue
12/4/2011, 12:25 AM
well, bye. Was anyone more hyped undeservedly? Don't get me wrong I love Ronnell but if this is true it probably is a microcosm of the state of OU football. A bunch of entitled primadonnas.

AlboSooner
12/4/2011, 12:26 AM
It's hard to maintain a 2.0gpa in social studies.

wishbonesooner
12/4/2011, 12:28 AM
Clear out his locker, tell him to move out of the dorm. Time to quit coddling these kids. The attitude is killing Sooner football.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 12:30 AM
If this is true, then it is time for Stoops to pull the reigns...

I agree with Blue...if this is true then we have too many entitled primadonnas!

I wonder if this is why we are seeing the play we have seen at times this year that was just flat out bad?

Has Stoops lost control of his team? Has he become the next Mack Brown where players think they are entitled instead of having to earn it?

If so, it is time for him to clean house and start getting the 3 star kids that are willing to put in the work to succeed!

picasso
12/4/2011, 12:33 AM
Good lord, some of you guys are whacky. Do we know all of the facts yet? I know he hurt his knee and he has a child. I don't blame him if he wanted to get ready for the NFL.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/4/2011, 12:34 AM
Shouldn't surprise anyone if true. He has had trouble maintaining grades since he got to OU. And he basically had to be begged to come back last year.

Just wish the kid well and move on.

Blue
12/4/2011, 12:35 AM
Shouldn't surprise anyone if true. He has had trouble maintaining grades since he got to OU. And he basically had to be begged to come back last year.

Just wish the kid well and move on.

well I could see that.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/4/2011, 12:36 AM
Good lord, some of you guys are whacky. Do we know all of the facts yet? I know he hurt his knee and he has a child. I don't blame him if he wanted to get ready for the NFL.

And what picasso said is better stated. If OU isn't a good fit for him because of whatever factor... family considerations, school, no matter. He played his best for this program, so congratulate him and look forward to watching the next guy.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 12:37 AM

No we do not know the facts...but if this is true, then it has been going on all semester, not just after his knee injury (which was very very minor).

picasso
12/4/2011, 12:39 AM
No we do not know the facts...but if this is true, then it has been going on all semester, not just after his knee injury (which was very very minor).
Have the rules changed? Anyone remember Byron Hanspard? Mookie Blaylock left campus after his last basketball game.
Some of you guys are out of touch with reality.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 12:43 AM
Have the rules changed? Anyone remember Byron Hanspard? Mookie Blaylock left campus after his last basketball game.

Out of reality?

If the kid is not going to class, he shouldn't be playing....period! I never said any NCAA rules have been violated...but if he is more worried about getting to the NFL than helping himself in the long run, that is on him.

But he also has to pay the consequences for his actions...so if this is why Stoops suspended him, then good for Stoops.

Even when I was in college playing...I always felt they should do more to regulate that the players are truly being students and going to classes.

As in being eligible every week, not just semester.

LiveLaughLove
12/4/2011, 12:44 AM

But if he was cleared then he could have played tonight? Except for the selfishly stupid not going to class? If the rumor is true, of course.

Dont the players agree to have their college paid for and they agree to play the requisite amount of TOTAL seasons?

If he could have played tonight, but didnt, that would be a huge suckage issue to me. We needed a pass rush badly.

Im not OK with selfishness from scholarshipped players in a team sport. Of course, once more, if the rumor is true.

picasso
12/4/2011, 12:46 AM
Fair enough but I'm not going to judge the guy if he was thinking about his immediate future. Not his doctorate degree.
You made the broad statement that Ronnell is an example of all that is wrong at OU. I highly doubt it.

jkjsooner
12/4/2011, 01:05 AM
And what picasso said is better stated. If OU isn't a good fit for him because of whatever factor... family considerations, school, no matter. He played his best for this program, so congratulate him and look forward to watching the next guy.

I disagree. When you join a team sport, you have an obligation to your teammates and coaches. You don't just cut and run (and if he didn't go to class and got suspended that is essentially what he did to the team) when the game no longer benefits you.

What these kids don't understand is that NFL teams will dock you if you show signs of character issues. If you don't go to class and harm your team, that's a warning sign to them.

I have no idea if any of this is true but if so Lewis may be costing himself some $$$.

agoo758
12/4/2011, 01:10 AM

To be sure, this isn't the first time that Ronnell accused of skipping classes.

OU_Sooners75
12/4/2011, 01:17 AM
Fair enough but I'm not going to judge the guy if he was thinking about his immediate future. Not his doctorate degree.
You made the broad statement that Ronnell is an example of all that is wrong at OU. I highly doubt it.

Maybe you should re-read what was said. I was asking, or wondering.

Never said that Ronnell is an example with all that is wrong with OU or even hinted that...wondering it yes.

sooner59
12/4/2011, 01:32 AM
This team is not OU quality.

Tear Down This Wall
12/4/2011, 01:39 AM
Out of reality?

If the kid is not going to class, he shouldn't be playing....period! I never said any NCAA rules have been violated...but if he is more worried about getting to the NFL than helping himself in the long run, that is on him.

But he also has to pay the consequences for his actions...so if this is why Stoops suspended him, then good for Stoops.

Even when I was in college playing...I always felt they should do more to regulate that the players are truly being students and going to classes.

As in being eligible every week, not just semester.

Baloney. Stoops makes $4-5 million every year. Most of these kids are poor and come from places with terrible schools systems; some have kids. So, if they want to protect their knees so they can make some money in the NFL, that's fine.

I'm frankly tired of the Stoops Jesus Syndrome. Lots of guys in this program tear up knees. No matter how crappy an education Ronnell got in Dewar, at least he's smart enough to not let Stoops use his body up for Stoops' $4-5 million when he has a shot at the NFL.

Jimmy Wilkerson was in the same situation. He's hung on in the NFL for a long time. He needed the money for his family when he left early. It's ain't all about Bob Stoops and OU. These kids have lives.

The athletic department is making close to $100 million a year mainly off the football program, and we're going to bitch about a kid who puts his financial future above Bob Stoops ego or a worthless degree in some crap academic program the athletic advisors have shuttled him into? I'm sure they weren't pushing the kid into finance and accounting.

Leave the kid alone. It ain't his fault Stoops can't get his safeties to cover, or can't get an offensive coordinator that will do anything other than throw 50-60 times a game whether its needed or not.

Prodigal
12/4/2011, 03:57 AM
Baloney. Stoops makes $4-5 million every year. Most of these kids are poor and come from places with terrible schools systems; some have kids. So, if they want to protect their knees so they can make some money in the NFL, that's fine.

I'm frankly tired of the Stoops Jesus Syndrome. Lots of guys in this program tear up knees. No matter how crappy an education Ronnell got in Dewar, at least he's smart enough to not let Stoops use his body up for Stoops' $4-5 million when he has a shot at the NFL.

Jimmy Wilkerson was in the same situation. He's hung on in the NFL for a long time. He needed the money for his family when he left early. It's ain't all about Bob Stoops and OU. These kids have lives.

The athletic department is making close to $100 million a year mainly off the football program, and we're going to bitch about a kid who puts his financial future above Bob Stoops ego or a worthless degree in some crap academic program the athletic advisors have shuttled him into? I'm sure they weren't pushing the kid into finance and accounting.

Leave the kid alone. It ain't his fault Stoops can't get his safeties to cover, or can't get an offensive coordinator that will do anything other than throw 50-60 times a game whether its needed or not.

Per your last paragraph... it IS his fault that he gave little effort (at least mentally) early in the Tech game on some plays that hurt us, yet he then came back to give great effort on the play where he got hurt. That is the problem. You cannot explain his and a few others sorry play at times unless you see the correlation with their off-field stuff.

Okie35
12/4/2011, 04:16 AM

Good stuff. Yea the safeties aren't the best but it starts inside out, mainly the d-line. If Ronnell wants to get his money I wish him the best. He's had multiple injuries so I can understand if that's what he decided to do.

colleyvillesooner
12/4/2011, 05:33 AM
I understand the logic of protecting himself for the League, but shows character if he'd do that (miss class) to his teammates and the school that gave him the opportunity to showcase his talents to be able to GO to the NFL.

The high character teams will stay away from this one. Best wishes Hammer.

ouwino
12/4/2011, 09:46 AM
if a person does not have the self-discipline to do the "right" thing. to live up to his or her obligations. then that person will not succeed at any level of sports or life. if this is indeed true about this young man, then i wish him the best and dont let the door hit him in the backside as he leaves. if this is true, he not only let down his team, his coaches, and his fans, he let down himself. by not going to class, he hurt himself. he was given an "opportunity" to get a college degree because he possessed athletic talent. he is not the first to do something like this, and he wont be the last. but, rest assured, at some point in his life he WILL regret it. all he needs to do is ask marcus dupree.

trwxxa
12/4/2011, 09:50 AM

I am not going to bag on the kids, though some may derserve it.

I am questioning the overall success in how the staff and the athletic department is handling the kids. The number of "suspensions" this year is disturbing. You can also take this to include Fleming's issues last year and the fact that Metoyer did not qualify.

Is the program getting the right kids in the program or just not guiding the kids through this stage in their life and getting them ready for the next step. Whether you like it or not, the athletic department is expected to do more than just keep these kids on the field and count the dollars.

If they can't get the kids to buy into the concept of team and all that goes into it, then it is on them and someone needs to take a long look into the department.

CBUS_SOONER
12/4/2011, 10:20 AM
Careful! 85sooners has a man crush on ronnel. hahahahahahaha

Jacie
12/4/2011, 10:27 AM
So should the guys under contract to the Indianapolis Colts stop going to practice and ask to be put on injured reserve until Peyton Manning returns, lest they get hurt playing meaningless games?

StoopTroup
12/4/2011, 10:48 AM
I was almost gone when I heard "The Guys at Rivals"....

Still....I continued to read.

This thread reminds me of the National Enquirer.

The reason we aren't a quality OU Team is the real Team was replaced by clones the aliens made when they took the Team as hostages. Also that guy that picks up our Kicking Tees is also an alien. He's the one that informs the aliens when there is a leak on the tabloids.

Wait a minute...what's that sound?

Man....that light is bright. I think I see a guy that looks like......

OMG! Not the probe!

Help me!

Sooner91ATL
12/4/2011, 11:11 AM
I'm real down on stoops right now, but I think this is a good thing. Dude isn't going to class, he should not play. Coaches did the right thing. Moreover, this isn't the first or last time a player will do this. Bad for Ronnell in the long run. I don't think his presence would have made much difference last night.

Of course, we have no idea if any of this is true. That is why we are talking about it on an entertainment board.

Tear Down This Wall
12/4/2011, 12:33 PM
So should the guys under contract to the Indianapolis Colts stop going to practice and ask to be put on injured reserve until Peyton Manning returns, lest they get hurt playing meaningless games?

They're being made hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars. So are Bob Stoops and his coaching staff. Ronnell isn't.