PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone agree

aero
12/4/2011, 12:07 AM
We need changes. Yes, the program is better than before Stoops got here and we have had some great years. I would contend from 2000 to 2005 we had legitimately very good teams. Since 2005 I think we have had some good players and good teams but they have not played the kind of football that legitimate top 5 teams. A lot of different setbacks have happened but the majority of them are just excuses. Other teams lose players to injury or whatever and don't miss a beat. I think we may be close or possibly have already passed the point where we are living off our reputation. It seems a lot of other teams have surpassed us while we have dusted off the same old plays. Start the year with high ranking, high expectations all around. Beat up a few weaklings and overrated teams. Puff up our chest. Start playing teams that won't lay down for us and lose a game or 2 that seem we shouldn't. Limp to the finish line.
Time for change.
The truth is the defense has NOT performed to championship level for some time. It's either personnel or coaching. Maybe it's both but my thought is it's coaching.
The hurry up offense was gimmicky from the start. It might work on Ball St. but not much else. It's as physically hard on the offense as it is on the defense. The running game has totally disappeared. Remember DeMarco, Chris Brown, Patrick Allen? Probably the last time we had a serviceable running game. I can't say I've seen a new play in the last 4 years. We had a run of pretty good qb's. LJ is probably a decent qb but he is what I thought he was from day one. I thought he would only get better and better with each year but it seems like he is the same as the first year he started. Decent but not great nor as good as maybe any we've had in some time. There are a lot of qb's that can rack up stats against inferior teams and with receivers like we've had. Reality is he typically throws behind receivers, too high, too low. We're used to them making great catches but this group, outside of Broyles and occasionally Stills, hasn't done that nor should they be expected to game in and game out. When the pressure is on, Landry checks out.
So. Are we going to be Florida State and slip into mediocrity? Have we already? We're not even close to LSU, Bama, Oregon. We've seen how we faired against OSU and Baylor. Who would put money on us against Arky, Va Tech, Boise, Wisky, Mich St, Stanford, Georgia, USC? That's the short list.
We've turned into a fake. The defense is all talk. The offense is lifeless and predictable. But it really didn't just happen overnight. It's been smoke and mirrors for a few years now.

Plexis22
12/4/2011, 12:10 AM
I agree that Venables needs to be fired and Mike Stoops hired as the new DC.

lasooner123
12/4/2011, 12:11 AM
gotta love patrick allen lol...but yes this is exactly how i feel and how ive felt since we lost to florida. and maybe a little earlier. It used to be that we would only lose to teams of comparable talent(bcs games and texas) but that has shifted to losing to teams of comparable and much less talent. sad. but true. i think stoops has to go but can imagine we can afford that and he probably wont just walk. this is where we are and probably will be for a long long time. hopefully bc i can see us dropping off yr by yr

wishbonesooner
12/4/2011, 12:16 AM
You have to be kidding. This has become an exercise in ego. Bob is way too comfy to make changes, and Joe C. wouldn't dare make him do it. We're stuck with this until Bob is ready to move on. Bob used to say there would be no excuses, now that is all he's about.

GreenSooner
12/4/2011, 12:16 AM
Though Landry is not as good as we all hoped he could be, many of the offensive problems can be chalked up to injuries. With Whaley and Broyles healthy, this offense would look much better. Heipel and the offensive coaching staff deserve a lot of credit for creating the Belldozer, which did an incredible job of solving our redzone problems.

On the other hand, I think the defense needs a lot of shaking up. As many have pointed out, the Big XII's offenses have changed radically since 1998, but we're basically running the same defensive scheme. I'd love to see Venables go. But whether he stays or goes, given Stoops's defensive orientation, changes in our defense will have to come from the top.

LiveLaughLove
12/4/2011, 12:21 AM
BV is as safe as safe can be. Youre dreaming if you think he is in danger from Bob. He might add back Mike, but he will not replace BV. BV is the "other" Stoops brother.

Besides, HE RUNS BOBS DEFENSE!

Sooner5030
12/4/2011, 12:22 AM
agree and disagree

scheme by itself is not the problem

our "spread/hurry" offense will work as long as the opposing defense has to defend the entire field

our athletes/talent is as good any in the top 20

we show up flat....consistently

we get beat by either 1) minimizing our O by playing 5 yards from LOS and/or 2) failing to play D like every possession counts