PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones...

Soonermagik
12/3/2011, 10:20 PM
Please don't come back.. and I'm serious. Although you have no NFL future your run at OU is done. Blake Bell or Drew Allen are clearly the future and we don't want another terrible season. You are not a leader and you have 0 mobility. Seriously, don't come back!!!!

Also, no one come to his defense. The guys who act as if you criticize a player, coach etc.. you aren't a true fan... get over yourself. There are times when these guys deserve it and this is one of those times. As I'm writing this he tossed another pick lol. What a joke!!!!!

JiminyChristmas
12/3/2011, 10:30 PM
Has not thrown a TD pass in 3 games now. Really, was Broyles the only reason we had any offense at all. Very sad.

flysooner9
12/3/2011, 10:30 PM
have to agree, hes had his moments in his career but its time for him to move on and let someone else take control. Go live happily ever after with Whitney.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/3/2011, 10:33 PM
You need to do a rewind. We've had 2 QBs in the recent past that have bounced back from crappy years to have STRONG senior years -> Nate Hybl and Paul Thompson.

lasooner123
12/3/2011, 10:35 PM
put bell in why not....lets see what hes got

AlboSooner
12/3/2011, 10:35 PM
Time to move on to preaching some small town baptist church.

okiedokie
12/3/2011, 10:36 PM
Please don't come back.. and I'm serious. Although you have no NFL future your run at OU is done. Blake Bell or Drew Allen are clearly the future and we don't want another terrible season. You are not a leader and you have 0 mobility. Seriously, don't come back!!!!

Also, no one come to his defense. The guys who act as if you criticize a player, coach etc.. you aren't a true fan... get over yourself. There are times when these guys deserve it and this is one of those times. As I'm writing this he tossed another pick lol. What a joke!!!!!

His mobility has always been an issue but what really bothers me is his sideline demeanor. I wish he would get more emotional and get his guys pumped up a little. I know we are losing but show the guys some fight.

jkjsooner
12/3/2011, 10:38 PM
You need to do a rewind. We've had 2 QBs in the recent past that have bounced back from crappy years to have STRONG senior years -> Nate Hybl and Paul Thompson.

Paul Thompson had a strong senior season? Are you kidding me? The guy never could hit a receiver beyond 20 yards. He had a lot to do with us losing to Boise State.

oulucas
12/3/2011, 10:39 PM

Be honest, would you want either of those guys to be our starting QB to win a National Championship? My personal answer is HELL NO. Both of those guys did an adequate job, like Landry. But neither of them were ever going to lead us to #8

TXBOOMER
12/3/2011, 10:40 PM
I personally hope LJ moves on. We have a severe lack of talent in many positions. I look for a three - five loss team next year anyway. We might as well get our next QB experience.

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2011, 10:40 PM
Not LJ's best outing.

Socrefbek
12/3/2011, 10:41 PM
Landry is not an intelligent football player, he is not a leader and he folds under pressure. Please declare for the draft or quit football to focus on finishing your degree so you can move on to what your real career will be outside of football.

soonerinstlw
12/3/2011, 10:50 PM
This is not all Landry's fault. The whole team is playing poorly. Too many drops, poor tackling, poor blocking, etc...

EatLeadCommie
12/3/2011, 10:50 PM
He has had a bad game but a good year. I mean, c'mon...that fumble was flukey. I can't pile on the guy for something that hasn't happened to him in his entire career. He hasn't had good protection tonight though, and his receivers haven't helped him either. But yeah, clearly his worst game of the year.

Therealsouthsider
12/3/2011, 10:56 PM
...I used to think Landry was Nate Hybl, just with better receivers...now I feel like I owe an apology to Nate

ss

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/3/2011, 11:00 PM
Be honest, would you want either of those guys to be our starting QB to win a National Championship? My personal answer is HELL NO. Both of those guys did an adequate job, like Landry. But neither of them were ever going to lead us to #8

Do you even want to argue this? Tee Martin or Payton Manning? Geno Torretta?

winout
12/3/2011, 11:05 PM
Don't hate on Landry... it's the coaches that make the decisions on who plays. I'm sure he's doing his best or what he's been coached to do.

BTW, Stoops doesn't make qb changes except through graduation or injury. We would have never seen Jason White if Hybl hadn't been injured.

BigTip
12/3/2011, 11:05 PM
I can't remember a hit, but maybe he got clocked three or four games ago, and it's effected him. He just doesn't seem like the same guy he was. It can't all be about not having Broyles.

FaninAma
12/3/2011, 11:06 PM
Lay off the players. Landry had a bad game but he's played well enough before this game for OU to have been undefeated.

Calling out a player like this is chickensh*t.

Al Gore
12/3/2011, 11:07 PM
From now on......a fumbled pass attempt will be called a "Landry".....

Soonrs
12/3/2011, 11:09 PM
This years team is a reflection of the coaching staff except they don't get paid to lose. Landry should move on and hold a clip board for a few years.

wishbonesooner
12/3/2011, 11:09 PM
Landry's been pretty good this year. I like him. Is he Sam or JW? No. But he's a good QB.

OUbasketball4life
12/3/2011, 11:10 PM
Landry is nothing without broyles can't get any touchdowns. I'm convinced broyles made Landry look good. K stills....in sorry Kenny stills he doesn't get a nickname til he starts playing like a star is not ready to be number 1 receiver if anyone is its jazz...who was actually sick tonight we are pathetic in a lot of positions and I'm convinced this was a terrible year

JLEW1818
12/3/2011, 11:12 PM
we have been Team Broyles since 2009

BoulderSooner79
12/3/2011, 11:16 PM
we have been Team Broyles since 2009

True dat and the stats back it up. For the first 6-7 games, it was half and half Broyles/Whaley which was an unexpected surprise. With both out, we're pretty punchless.

StoopTroup
12/3/2011, 11:18 PM
Landry has won two Bowl Games. It's sad to see so many fans acting the child. It happens though. We've won some really big Games this year. We had the stuff to be undefeated at one point in the Season. Last year our first loss came against Mizzou. We righted that wrong this year.

oSu wins their first Big XII Championship. I guess they played well enough to deserve it. They are gonna get their time in the spotlight tonight. Good for them. I hope they don't go on to embarrass our State in a big Bowl Game.

Therealsouthsider
12/3/2011, 11:18 PM
Lay off the players. Landry had a bad game but he's played well enough before this game for OU to have been undefeated.

...don't know what season you just watched...despite the setbacks, this game had the ability to define the season and the things he didn't or couldn't do speaks volumes...it's not his fault more than he's just not that guy. Beyond that the defense is a sham

ss

JLEW1818
12/3/2011, 11:19 PM
landry vs baylor... throws to TE... covered by 3 guys... pick... He is a good QB, but has just stunk it up this year.

StoopTroup
12/3/2011, 11:20 PM
True dat and the stats back it up. For the first 6-7 games, it was half and half Broyles/Whaley which was an unexpected surprise. With both out, we're pretty punchless.

It's hard when you lose your Superstars and suddenly have to depend on guys that just are Ryan Broyles.

JLEW1818
12/3/2011, 11:21 PM
i was spoiled by Sam Bradford

StoopTroup
12/3/2011, 11:22 PM
landry vs baylor... throws to TE... covered by 3 guys... pick... He is a good QB, but has just stunk it up this year. It's still never one or two plays that lost some of these games though J. You know he's had the right stuff from time to time. There were some throws to Stills in the FSU Game that were pin point accurate and just beautiful throws. I haven't seen Stills with that kind of route or catch since K-State.

Texas Golfer
12/3/2011, 11:24 PM
It's not all on Landry. We have receivers who can't catch, blockers who can't block, and tacklers who can't tackle. 9-3 is a great record but, with all of the expectations of this season, this season ended up being a disappointment.

LawtonBoy74
12/3/2011, 11:26 PM
Landry's problem is that he is inconsistent!!! He makes great plays, but then he'll make great plays for the other team as well. And is it me or does it seem like the coaches completely gave up after we were down 31 to 3. Terrible effort tonight. Most embarrasing loss since that WV loss we suffered a few years back.

BASSooner
12/3/2011, 11:42 PM
It's not all on Landry. We have receivers who can't catch, blockers who can't block, and tacklers who can't tackle. 9-3 is a great record but, with all of the expectations of this season, this season ended up being a disappointment.
Agreed 100% which are all a symptom of one thing: lack of motivation, effort, heart. its happening consistently

SoonerinSouthlake
12/3/2011, 11:45 PM
it's time for him to go

XingTheRubicon
12/3/2011, 11:47 PM
tough room for our all-time leading passer

Blue
12/3/2011, 11:49 PM
Time to move on to preaching some small town baptist church.

I like ya Albo, but this is Tacky.

Okie35
12/3/2011, 11:59 PM
i was spoiled by Sam Bradford

I'm sorry but Sam also had more weapons, 3 all americans on the o-line and reliable running backs. I wouldn't mind Landry back. I think after Ryan went down the whole team collapsed honestly. Stoops needs to make some staff changes as well.

colleyvillesooner
12/4/2011, 12:02 AM
Whole lot of Dumbass going on here
Tonight.

Can't believe people would rather head into next season with a QB with no real playing time other than the
Belldozer vs. Landry.

Last I checked, Landry didn't give up SCHOOL RECORD's on D vs Tech and Baylor. He kept us in both Games.

dennis580
12/4/2011, 12:11 AM
This topic is totally foolish. Jones by FAR gives us the best chance to win the NC next year.

Bccajun
12/4/2011, 12:15 AM
I'm one that was not a fan of LJ from the start, but the coaches feel/think he is the best so I've pulled for him.

With that being said I'm not hating LJ for the loses this season. Though he did not help the Sooners out tonight he was not playing on both sides the ball. From the start against FSU I told our bunch here in south LA this defense has problems that need to be fixed fast. Once we faced the top passing teams in the B12 it showed how bad the D was.

Let's hope they can fix what is wrong with the team for a great run next year. They still have one more left to play. Boomer

picasso
12/4/2011, 12:16 AM
Yeah Landry, **** you for dropping all of those passes!

Soonerus
12/4/2011, 12:16 AM
Landry is such a fricken wimp...

LawtonBoy74
12/4/2011, 12:20 AM
Landry Jones is great... I think he is one of our best players.... Our receivers do not help him because they drop numerous passes... With all that being said Landry gets rattled frequently, and I think if Blake Bell has more snaps it forces our play calling to be more conservative. Our coaching staff sets Landry Jones up by being to aggressive and not running the ball enough!!!

soonerwalt
12/4/2011, 12:22 AM
...I used to think Landry was Nate Hybl, just with better receivers...now I feel like I owe an apology to Nate

ss
:excitement:Now thats funny right there

toast
12/4/2011, 12:22 AM
Landry had a crappy game for sure, but he sure wasn't getting much help from the receivers and the ol. Wished we would have tried to establish the run from the outset and thought we called too many pass plays early. Blaming a single player or one side of the ball for this game is ridiculous.

Sooners78
12/4/2011, 12:23 AM
Landry hasn't looked good since Ryan went out. Broyles was always open, and LJ depended on that. He was by far the MVP of this team. And, with Whaley out, it's been really rough going for the offense, and not all Landry's fault. He was clutch in this game a year ago.

kenth68
12/4/2011, 12:24 AM
Landry is nothing without broyles can't get any touchdowns. I'm convinced broyles made Landry look good. K stills....in sorry Kenny stills he doesn't get a nickname til he starts playing like a star is not ready to be number 1 receiver if anyone is its jazz...who was actually sick tonight we are pathetic in a lot of positions and I'm convinced this was a terrible year

Landry isn't always spot on with his throws. The difference is that Broyles didn't need them to be. How many dropped balls did we see tonight. Many could have been caught. The season shouldn't rest on one or two players. LSU for example, had starters out at different times. You couldn't tell. That's because they came out to play, all of them. We shouldn't lose just because we don't get the perfect matchup as in practice.

And yeah, LJ's attitude really bugs me. He comes out with his shoulders slumped, and looks almost bored before the snap. When he's on the sidelines, he shows no leadership.

OklahomaRed
12/4/2011, 12:26 AM
Definitely not his best game. Some forced passes in to coverage. Some interceptions at key points in the game. Wondered if he should have audibled out of that one blitz when they had 8 guys up on the line and he ended up fumbling. Just not good decision making. A definite bust this year for OU with all the preseason hype. Key injures hurt. I think it all started when one of our key players ends up in the newspaper for the wrong reason with the inappropriate use of pain killers. All of that points to issues off the field. Gut check OU. 2000 is a long way away. Several programs are gaining momentum, and others like Texas seem to be headed in the other diretion. We need to figure it out and get our program pointed somewhere besides #20. One year does not make a trend, but we seem to be "leaking" somewhere and we need to plug some holes and get the boat headed upriver, unless we're okay with mediocrity. I think the Blake and Smellyburger years made a lot of us really gun shy! :(

Blue
12/4/2011, 12:30 AM
Yeah Broyles got open and none of our other receivers seem to know how to do that. If they do they drop the ball. Hopefully metoyer and DGB can change that. Landry has proven he can rip when guys get open. We need some playmakers.

Yeah he slobbers alot, but it seems thats just him. he gives us an infinitely better chance to win next year than a new QB.

Blue
12/4/2011, 12:31 AM
Btw, I'm disturbed by either our lack of run game or lack of runningbacks.

Sooner in Tampa
12/4/2011, 12:38 AM
A National Championship next year...now that's funny

OhU1
12/4/2011, 12:38 AM
It looked at times like there was an invisible Aggie running around Lewis field making the ball fumble backward as Landry's arm flopped forward impotently.

btb916
12/4/2011, 12:42 AM
Landry won me over last year at OSU and in the Big 12 title game.

I'm ready for a change now though. I wish him the best and will congratulate him on a solid run. But another year with Landry at the helm sounds like a recipe for mediocrity.

tulsaoilerfan
12/4/2011, 12:52 AM
Landry just isn't consistent enought for what the coaches ask of him; as a 3 year starter you would expect better decision making and not being rattled when he sees a pass rush, yet Landry still has that deer in the headlights looks when he gets pressured and will force 2-3 balls a game into heavy coverage

soonerboy_odanorth
12/4/2011, 12:58 AM
Landry regressed this year. No two ways about it. Not saying he should stay or go. He should do what he wants without all our noise in the background (and I'm sure will.) But he's fallen off the map a little.

Honestly, I think it's because he lost his QB coach to a promotion. I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. You can't tell me Heupel poured as much into pure QB coaching as he did in the previous couple of years. As OC he has too many other things to worry about.

LawtonBoy74
12/4/2011, 01:06 AM
Landry's not use to big crowds... he is from New Mexico ya know.. but seriously, I think the coaching staff sets LJ up for failure because they want him to throw 50 passes a game. We need to establish a running game like we did when we had Paul Thompson. Do you guys remember how terrible our passing game was with PT?? But the coaches were conservative and coached to his strength. The coahces have to become more conservative... The agressive play calling and coaching decisions have killed us all year. EXAMPLE= blitzing on 3rd and long against Texas Tech then they killed us with the screen, calling the timeout against Baylor in the 4th, and not rushing the ball in the first qtr against OSU.

AlboSooner
12/4/2011, 01:08 AM
Yeah Landry, **** you for dropping all of those passes!

no need to defend him via sarcasm, he truly absolutely stunk today. start a thread blaming the receivers. this thread has merit, because LJ was terrible tonight, just terrible.

toast
12/4/2011, 01:13 AM
Landry regressed this year. No two ways about it. Not saying he should stay or go. He should do what he wants without all our noise in the background (and I'm sure will.) But he's fallen off the map a little.

Honestly, I think it's because he lost his QB coach to a promotion. I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive. You can't tell me Heupel poured as much into pure QB coaching as he did in the previous couple of years. As OC he has too many other things to worry about.

good points, it could be as simple a thing as Josh being upstairs now and not on the sidelines with Landry.

tulsaoilerfan
12/4/2011, 01:14 AM
Landry has looked lost without Broyles; hard to believe that one player being hurt, no matter how great he is, can make an offense look so pedestrian against such mediocre defenses

soonerboy_odanorth
12/4/2011, 01:15 AM
no need to defend him via sarcasm, he truly absolutely stunk today. start a thread blaming the receivers. this thread has merit, because LJ was terrible tonight, just terrible.

I agree. We have to be fair about this. He was brilliant against them last year. But he stunk up the joint tonight. Leaves one grasping at straws, doesn't it? Generally you expect a 180 to be from bad to good... not the other way.

Peach Fuzz
12/4/2011, 01:54 AM
What I don't get is the fumble pass attempts. It's not his first time to do it and I honestly can't recall any other major program qb having that problem. Why does this unlucky **** happen to us, quite often I might add.

MamaMia
12/4/2011, 01:58 AM
Landry's been pretty good this year. I like him. Is he Sam or JW? No. But he's a good QB. If what you're saying is that Landry Jones fits in ok with what we have, I would unfortunately have to agree.

llsooner7
12/4/2011, 03:15 AM
It really doesn't matter what is said here Landry will start at Oklahoma as long as he is healthy and eligible to play. Consistency is an issue. I'll grant you that. But Bell has yet to throw a single completion. There is room for improvement for Landry obviously. But last year in Stillwater he proved he could compete when it matters. I expect him to come out next year as a stronger qb. He has as much talent as anybody, he just needs to figure a few things out.

llsooner7
12/4/2011, 03:17 AM
Hey, on the bright side I got all my vcash back even though I thought I bet all of it on the Sooners. Not sure what to make of this.

Okie35
12/4/2011, 03:28 AM
You know why Landry was terrible? Because none of our RBs had over 10 carries what the **** was up w/ that?! Where was the balance? Did Josh really want to put the game on Landry's back? That's not his game. 30 runs to 50 passes :miserable:

FrostySooner
12/4/2011, 03:51 AM
I don't agree that Landry Jones is the reason for this loss or any other loss this year. There are a lot of issues that need to be ironed out at Oklahoma before the start of next year.

1. We need to be able to run the ball effectively for 12 games. I don't think the answer lies within Dominique Whaley either. Before his injury, he was progressively getting worse every game. The problem is the offensive line. Simple fact is that they aren't nasty enough up front to run block consistently game in and game out.

2. Quit relying on our QB to win the game for us. When you look at the teams over the last 4-5 years that have won the NC, they ran a balanced offensive attack for the most part. As long as we throw 50-60 passes a game, we will not be able to win the NC or even come close.

3. We need to start focusing our attention on recruiting some bigger, stronger athletes. The focus as of late has been on recruting smaller, faster kids and not on finding LB's, DL's, and OL's that are big and athletic. LSU has 240-250 pound linebackers. Ours are 210-220 pounders.

4. It is time for Bob Stoops to start earning his large salary and quit being the good ole boy he is. This coaching staff has needed to be revamped for quit some time now. Nothing against Venables because he is a stand up guy but we need a direction change on the defensive side of the ball. Josh Heupel needs to resume his duties as QB coach and nothing else so that he can continue producing Heisman type QB's. Cale Gundy is not much of a RB coach unless he has a guy like AD in his backfield. The last few coaches we have hired have not been that good of hires. James Patton needs to go as well. He has not had a productive OL since he got here. I say fire them all in exception to Heupel and Schmitty.

Okie35
12/4/2011, 04:06 AM
I don't agree that Landry Jones is the reason for this loss or any other loss this year. There are a lot of issues that need to be ironed out at Oklahoma before the start of next year.

2. Quit relying on our QB to win the game for us. When you look at the teams over the last 4-5 years that have won the NC, they ran a balanced offensive attack for the most part. As long as we throw 50-60 passes a game, we will not be able to win the NC or even come close.

Yup you have to run the ball to win games. Even w/ Sam (although the spread we ran sometimes made me cringe) we had 2 1,000+ yard backs. I think we tried to adapt to the conference. It makes me sick. I this spread conference.

sendbaht
12/4/2011, 05:04 AM
come back Jones...be fine with me..

olevetonahill
12/4/2011, 05:27 AM
Paul Thompson had a strong senior season? Are you kidding me? The guy never could hit a receiver beyond 20 yards. He had a lot to do with us losing to Boise State.
He had a lot to do with us gettin there in the 1st place

GottaHavePride
12/4/2011, 10:02 AM
Seriously? If you're laying last night at Landry's feet you need to go have your head examined. The only people I saw on the entire damn team that came ready to play consistently were Jaz Reynolds (and he was puking his guts out) and Tony Jefferson.

This was OU vs. USC round two. So either the entire team had the flu, or this one's on the coaches.