PDA

View Full Version : Call me what you want but prove me wrong............

85Sooner
12/3/2011, 09:39 PM
I am ready for an entire coaching change. I am not a homer........... Our teams are NOT coached well.............only starters are given playing time and reserves are under prepared............the 2000 NC was the TEAMS ATTITUDE not the coaches.........OU's play is NOT exciting.... players look soft and weak and they can only win after they are up by 50 points. Sorry but as a sooner fan for over 40 years... I am no more enthusiastic about the program today that I was during the Blake years. YES , the Blake years. same ol Same ol.....Boring, Unimaginative and Arrogant.............OSU is 100% has been working hard the past 3 years and is 100% the opposite.....................and they damn well deserve our respect. BTW 24-0 against Stoops and Co. Maybe BOB should learn that you just don't win BECAUSE you are OU.........

lasooner123
12/3/2011, 09:42 PM
a freaking men.....ive been saying this for years in my family. bob has lost his drive. we dont have the swag. I feel we are outcoached 3-4 times a year. every other team loks like they want it more than us. i think bob wants us to be more businesslike than kid-like

agoo758
12/3/2011, 09:45 PM
As much as I hate to say it. I have lost all confidence in this team and coaching staff in big games. Stoops looks scared on the sidelines in close games, and our teams play like it. Someone mentioned that the Stoops staff was once "Switzer-esque" and now is "Schembechler-esque". Unfortunately, I have to agree.

EatLeadCommie
12/3/2011, 09:46 PM
I disagree. It is important to have some stability and a figurehead. Bob has not lost his swag, but he is in complete denial. Venables is a joke. Also, the degree to which our players are always getting hurt makes me think it is time for something new on the S&C side too. I'm sure we can get somebody who makes players as big as Schmidtty without making them break a leg every time they are touched.

Bob just needs to be read the riot act. Either find somebody who can do the job or Joe C. should fire them. If Joe C. won't, Boren should.

Even the King had the sense to tell his coaches that if something didn't change, change would be forced upon them.

Soonrs
12/3/2011, 09:52 PM
I would not be sad if Bob moved on tomorrow but he is ensconced. He can loose 4-5 games a year, under-achieve, and lose mediocre teams and he will still have a $4 million dollar job. We are a long way from the 2000 season.

Ton Loc
12/3/2011, 09:53 PM
Complaining little girls with a complete loss of perspective.

That's what I would call you. Actually, I would call you worse but it would just get edited.

winout
12/3/2011, 09:54 PM
Ou's version of Lloyd Carr. Good man nonetheless.

Therealsouthsider
12/3/2011, 09:55 PM
....throw in Landry moving on and I'm in agreement....every one of his school records should have an asterisk that says 'see Ryan Broyles'

ss

AlboSooner
12/3/2011, 09:57 PM
I remember Texas Tech used to break all kinds of offensive records under Leach, yet never win anything meaningful. We are that.

soonercastor
12/3/2011, 09:58 PM
As much as I hate to say it. I have lost all confidence in this team and coaching staff in big games.

What do you consider a "big game" and when is the last time we lost one.

The Preach Man
12/3/2011, 09:59 PM
You guys are pathetic. We are one of the best programs in the country 11 years running.

Answer this. How many DI schools have more victories than OU in the last decade?

Sooner5030
12/3/2011, 10:00 PM
I am ready for an entire coaching change. I am not a homer........... Our teams are NOT coached well.............only starters are given playing time and reserves are under prepared............the 2000 NC was the TEAMS ATTITUDE not the coaches.........OU's play is NOT exciting.... players look soft and weak and they can only win after they are up by 50 points. Sorry but as a sooner fan for over 40 years... I am no more enthusiastic about the program today that I was during the Blake years. YES , the Blake years. same ol Same ol.....Boring, Unimaginative and Arrogant.............OSU is 100% has been working hard the past 3 years and is 100% the opposite.....................and they damn well deserve our respect. BTW 24-0 against Stoops and Co. Maybe BOB should learn that you just don't win BECAUSE you are OU.........
agree

but at the time I remember being upset with gibbs

then came schelley and blake

F that

I'll stick with winning more games than not and going to the BCS 75% of the time

but you are right....folks should be upset with the $5 million coaching staff production

Tear Down This Wall
12/3/2011, 10:01 PM
There's really no excuse for tonight's game plan. Ryan Broyles out and of the first 40 plays, 31 are passes.

We force the pass way too much. And, we really have no excuse not to be able to run with as many blue chip tailbacks as we recruit. We've got blue chip fullbacks as well.

I really expected us to come out more balanced with Broyles out and playing on the road in a hostile environment. And, yes, I realize Whaley is out. But, give me a break. He was a walk-on. We have no excuse to not have a scholarship player than could step in. We don't recruit 2-star and 1-star players.

This was a bad game plan by Heupel and Norvell. I personally think having Ronnell out is more of a detriment than having Whaley out. Either way, not a realistic plan for the circumstances.

landrun
12/3/2011, 10:02 PM

You said it so well.

This is about as good a coaching job as we had with Blake. The only difference is we have a TON.. TON... more talent.

... that, and we're missing the twister mat on the side lines.

In reality, Blake's defenses were better than Stoops'. That is statistically factual. And again, Blake had only a fraction of the talent.

If you think our D has been good, you're in denial.

Always_Sooner
12/3/2011, 10:05 PM
Ou looks like a bunch of spoiled brats tonight. They think just because the have the decal on their helmet they will line up and win.

OU_Sooners75
12/3/2011, 10:06 PM
If OU loses this game...still some hope left...not much...but some...Bob Stoops will say the same ole **** and will not say what needs to be said...

That the coaches have failed the players...That injuries have hurt out team....or even....we were not the better team....

Instead will get the Same ole **** about how we got out played, out coached, and we had the chance to win the Big 12.

Where is the old Bob Stoops that seemed to have real answers?

AlboSooner
Ou looks like a bunch of spoiled brats tonight. They think just because the have the decal on their helmet they will line up and win.
I don't get that from this team. They are limited. Okie St is just better. We barely beat them when we are better, let alone when they are better.

Soonerus
This is just unfortunately a lost year...

lasooner123
12/3/2011, 10:07 PM
look at our bcs bowl record....yes we did beat uconn i forgot about that
we have beaten a crappy texas team the last 2 years
yes we have a great win percentage in national championships...oh wait nvmd

JLMSOONER
12/3/2011, 10:08 PM
I agree with commie. Vennie needs to move on. D is too inconsistent. We need something different but not a wholesale change.

Always_Sooner
12/3/2011, 10:09 PM
I am ready for next year, and the possibilities of positive change.

Always_Sooner
12/3/2011, 10:10 PM
If they bring Brent Venables back it shows you accept mediocrity at it's finest.

85Sooner
12/3/2011, 10:43 PM
41-3 You Homers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And getting ready to be a bigger spread..OU does not care and that is Stoops responsibility and this game is in the category with the USC game that he coached as well............This has been a trend.................

Always_Sooner
12/3/2011, 10:50 PM
It's different players, but the same coaches, and similar results couldn't have said it better myself 85.

jcvsooner
12/3/2011, 10:51 PM
I remember Texas Tech used to break all kinds of offensive records under Leach, yet never win anything meaningful. We are that.

Except that we're a year removed from a conference championship and a BCS Bowl win. :)

okiedokie
12/3/2011, 10:53 PM
Except that we're a year removed from a conference championship and a BCS Bowl win. :) thank goodness it was Uconn

wishbonesooner
12/3/2011, 10:55 PM
We have a great winning percentage against the Iowa States and Missouri's and Kansas teams of the Big 12. Big deal. Bottom line: Bob hasn't earned his big salary in several years. Do not tell me someone like Chris Pederson or the guy at Stanford wouldn't die to have what Bob has here. Bob has been great, but he's not great anymore. Not even close. I'm ready for a new direction for Sooner football.

EatLeadCommie
12/3/2011, 10:56 PM
There's really no excuse for tonight's game plan. Ryan Broyles out and of the first 40 plays, 31 are passes.

We force the pass way too much. And, we really have no excuse not to be able to run with as many blue chip tailbacks as we recruit. We've got blue chip fullbacks as well.

I really expected us to come out more balanced with Broyles out and playing on the road in a hostile environment. And, yes, I realize Whaley is out. But, give me a break. He was a walk-on. We have no excuse to not have a scholarship player than could step in. We don't recruit 2-star and 1-star players.

This was a bad game plan by Heupel and Norvell. I personally think having Ronnell out is more of a detriment than having Whaley out. Either way, not a realistic plan for the circumstances.
Excellent point about the gameplan. I couldn't figure out why we kept going to the pass either. Obviously on 3rd and long you have to go with that, but we saw it on 1st and 2nd downs. Bad offensive gameplan, though also bad execution by the offense.

And Ronnell being out was huge. He is our best pass rusher, with apologies to Frank Alexander. Frank also went down early which didn't help. Still, you aren't going to get a lot of pressure with 3 man fronts against their offensive line.

MamaMia
12/3/2011, 11:20 PM
What do you consider a "big game" and when is the last time we lost one. The thing is,every game is a "big game."Its losing the little games thats defining us now.Thats whats killing us.Teams that do that are a dime a dozen.Unfortunately,other than the fact that we pay a lot more for what we have and we start out highly ranked because of our players stars, and-or years played, we fit in that catagory.The whole nation expects more from us but the 'we almost made it' seasons are the norm for us now.I feel like a loyal Blake/Gibbs Sooner fan now.

Biggnick15
12/3/2011, 11:29 PM
The gameplan on both sides of the ball was horrendous.We just sat back and let Weeden pick us apart on D. We shouldve been bringing massive heat at weeden. On offense, we throw every freaking play. We shouldve been pounding millard and running finch almost every play, not leaving it in the hands of landry to eff it up massively for us.

Dale Ellis
12/3/2011, 11:37 PM

That's what I would call you. Actually, I would call you worse but it would just get edited.

Blind, sunshine pumper, with no grasp of reality. That's what I'd call YOU. Actually, I would call you worse but it would just be true.

Dale Ellis
12/3/2011, 11:38 PM
The gameplan on both sides of the ball was horrendous.We just sat back and let Weeden pick us apart on D. We shouldve been bringing massive heat at weeden. On offense, we throw every freaking play. We shouldve been pounding millard and running finch almost every play, not leaving it in the hands of landry to eff it up massively for us.

Nice game plan, let's put the game in the capable hands of Trey Franks, and Dejuan Miller.

OklahomaRed
12/4/2011, 12:10 AM
The thing is,every game is a "big game."Its losing the little games thats defining us now.Thats whats killing us.Teams that do that are a dime a dozen.Unfortunately,other than the fact that we pay a lot more for what we have and we start out highly ranked because of our players stars, and-or years played, we fit in that catagory.The whole nation expects more from us but the 'we almost made it' seasons are the norm for us now.I feel like a loyal Blake/Gibbs Sooner fan now.

Couldn't have said it better myself. How do you get beat by TECH at home. I could almost stomach the loss to Baylor in Waco with their Heisman candidate quarterback having a great game, but a thrashing at the hands of the cowgirls in Stillwater is embarassing. OU teams just don't seem to have any fire under them. OU's deffense is soft and doesn't attack the line of scrimmage. Seems like we get more players hurt every year than anyone else. Stoops ought to at least give some of his 4 million dollars back because he didn't earn it this year. It's either him or his staff. He either needs to get honest with himself and get some fresh talent on the sidelines, or let someone take over that isn't okay with losing games you should win.

delhalew
12/4/2011, 12:11 AM
Nice game plan, let's put the game in the capable hands of Trey Franks, and Dejuan Miller.

Would just like to point out that Franks caught his balls, and ran hard. Plenty of other people to blame. Carry on.

BeaSooner
12/4/2011, 12:17 AM
Bob needs to grow a pair and shake things up.

SOONER44EVER
12/4/2011, 12:21 AM
What do you consider a "big game" and when is the last time we lost one. Ummmm, tonight for the Big 12 Championship?

Plexis22
12/4/2011, 12:23 AM
It will be the same **** next season, and the season after that. Overrated with losses to average teams. What makes you think anything will change?

sooner2be3
12/4/2011, 12:23 AM
You guys are pathetic. We are one of the best programs in the country 11 years running.

Answer this. How many DI schools have more victories than OU in the last decade?

Do that in the SEC and I would be impressed!

Okie35
12/4/2011, 12:38 AM

Get out of here.

MyT Oklahoma
12/4/2011, 12:38 AM
After 40 years I surely expected better tonight and all year this year for that matter.

No one man is bigger than the OU program and if one man isn't willing to win the games that he is expected to then its time for him to move on.

I love Bob Stoops as an individual and I wouldn't trade his character and integrity for anyone but I just don't think he has the fire that he did 10 years ago.

I can only hope that the boys who write the really big checks to the OU athletic department turn up the heat because we sure ai't getting our monies worth.

Okie35
12/4/2011, 12:39 AM

I think we put too much on Landry's shoulders. Last year the game plan was so much better. We ran more too.

picasso
12/4/2011, 12:48 AM
Was this posted after the k-state or Tejas game?

AlboSooner
12/4/2011, 12:57 AM
I think we put too much on Landry's shoulders. Last year the game plan was so much better. We ran more too.

We won a Big 12 title with Paul Thompson, let me say it again, we won a Big 12 title with aul Thompson, because we ran the ball, kept the ball, and played solid D. Paul Thompson.

tulsaoilerfan
12/4/2011, 01:16 AM
We won a Big 12 title with Paul Thompson, let me say it again, we won a Big 12 title with aul Thompson, because we ran the ball, kept the ball, and played solid D. Paul Thompson. So are you saying Paul Thompson wasn't a good QB? LOL

MamaMia
12/4/2011, 01:35 AM
Maybe like with Chuck Long,the Board of Regents will demand change.

Tear Down This Wall
12/4/2011, 01:58 AM

Exactly. Part of our problem is that the Big 12 is a sucka*s conference. There was no Big 12 North patsy to play for the title tonight.

We're so stupid that we think if we beat Texas, we're ready to play for a national title. Hey...Texas ain't that great. Team for team, when stacked up against the SEC, we don't see great competition year in and year out.

LSU and Alabama would thrash every team in the Big 12. Every team. And, this year, Georgia and Arkansas probably would as well.

MyT Oklahoma
12/4/2011, 03:14 AM
Maybe like with Chuck Long,the Board of Regents will demand change.

I can only hope that the Board of Regents catches **** and leans on Joe C. who then passes the **** down the chain of command.

WileyCoyote
12/4/2011, 05:49 AM
What happens from here is what's important. Can't undo or un**** what is. Any previous "equity" is used up. It's a level playing field for me with Stoops now. If he chooses to live in denial about the need to make changes and doesn't perform the surgery then he is fatally flawed.

To be fair, I'll give him my last "benefit of the doubt". But if this season doesn't get his attention, then I ain't buyin'anymore. It's a tough, hard world to meet the expectations of the OU Monster, but that's why he gets the $5M.

ouwino
12/4/2011, 06:55 AM
perhaps the problem is this... when things get tough, bob can yell and scream and throw his little tirades to 2 and 3 star recruited players. their reaction is, "listen to what he is saying and work harder" and when he does this with 4 and 5 star recruited players their reaction is, "f him, i an nfl caliber player, i dont need this sh.."

TUSooner
12/4/2011, 09:06 AM
I won't call for Bob to go, because I think the chance of getting someone worse exceeds the chances of getting someone better. But... there are key signs of bad coaching, and I'm not talking about Xs and Os: Lack of emotional preparedness in key games, players who talk and posture but don't cover or tackle or catch the damn ball, lack of discipline on the field shown by penalties and stupid ****, players requiring suspensions for disciplinary reasons, and yelling and turmoil on the sidelines. I've heard from numerous coaches in all levels of sports, that if you have to yell at your players during the game, then you didn't work hard enough at practice. Bob's record shows him to be too good to fire, but recent results suggest he's not good enough to reach the top again.
As for the defense: Will BV EVER be held accountable?!

TUSooner
12/4/2011, 09:10 AM
To be fair, I'll give him my last "benefit of the doubt". But if this season doesn't get his attention, then I ain't buyin'anymore. It's a tough, hard world to meet the expectations of the OU Monster, but that's why he gets the $5M.
Yes, yes, yes. We're not talking about a volunteer softball coach here, we're talking about a man who must be accountable for the success or failure of a multi-million dollar enterprise that has even more emotional value to generations of (spoiled) fans.

soonervegas
12/4/2011, 09:12 AM
I won't call for Bob to go, because I think the chance of getting someone worse exceeds the chances of getting someone better. But... there are key signs of bad coaching, and I'm not talking about Xs and Os: Lack of emotional preparedness in key games, players who talk and posture but don't cover or tackle or catch the damn ball, lack of discipline on the field shown by penalties and stupid ****, players requiring suspensions for disciplinary reasons, and yelling and turmoil on the sidelines. I've heard from numerous coaches in all levels of sports, that if you have to yell at your players during the game, then you didn't work hard enough at practice. Bob's record shows him to be too good to fire, but recent results suggest he's not good enough to reach the top again.
As for the defense: Will BV EVER be held accountable?!

Excellent post and sums up the majority of my thoughts.

soonerloyal
12/4/2011, 09:18 AM
I would not be sad if Bob moved on tomorrow but he is ensconced.

"Waaahhhh, get rid of Stoops and everything will get better". Stay off the crack. I make no excuses for the underperforming team's deserved assbeating tonight, but jesuschristonacrutch, replace Stoops with WHO? Do yourself a favor and get out of stuck on stupid.

cleller
12/4/2011, 09:24 AM

Wasn't last night a big game? The big 12 championship, bedlam, and #3 team in the country?

diverdog
12/4/2011, 09:44 AM

Exactly right. We have played for 4 NC since the man has been here and won a bunch of Big 12 Championships. Yes we need some staff changes but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

diverdog
12/4/2011, 09:47 AM
Wasn't last night a big game? The big 12 championship, bedlam, and #3 team in the country?

I am not going to defend the coaching staff but how many teams can suffer the number of injuries we have had at key positions and go undefeated or beat the number three team in the country?

SoonerinSouthlake
12/4/2011, 09:58 AM
Re: Call me what you want but prove me wrong............
Originally Posted by soonercastor

in fairness..I think the "what do you consider a big game" comment was posted early in the game....so we hadnt lost yet

kevpks
12/4/2011, 11:13 AM
I am not going to defend the coaching staff but how many teams can suffer the number of injuries we have had at key positions and go undefeated or beat the number three team in the country?

I agree. To me, the Tech loss was the only inexcusable one. Without that loss we are still likely looking at a BCS at-large bid.

wishbonesooner
12/4/2011, 11:25 AM
"Waaahhhh, get rid of Stoops and everything will get better". Stay off the crack. I make no excuses for the underperforming team's deserved assbeating tonight, but jesuschristonacrutch, replace Stoops with WHO? Do yourself a favor and get out of stuck on stupid.

That's the spirit.

StoopTroup
12/4/2011, 11:35 AM
Was this posted after the k-state or Tejas game?

It's been posted fairly consistently for the last 8 years.

tulsaoilerfan
12/4/2011, 11:37 AM
If you put us on the field last night in plain uniforms and helmets you would have thought you were watching Texas Tech

StoopTroup
12/4/2011, 11:56 AM
Exactly right. We have played for 4 NC since the man has been here and won a bunch of Big 12 Championships. Yes we need some staff changes but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

The walk through the Switzer Center I took with my Family on Friday before the ISU Game really says it all. There is a History that has been written on the walls there. It doesn't look anything like what some of these folks who seem to be having some sort of Personal Crisis over a 9-3 Season are posting. I swear....if I was gonna have a meltdown it would be over a 5-7 Season like fexas had last year. How the hell did Mack Brown survive that? If OU Fans are upset about losing to Baylor in the final seconds of a Road Game in Waco by a fluke play with time running out.....then what does a Mack Brown tell his Fans when he gets blown out by Baylor?

Mack will still be at the helm at fexas next year unless he retires.

Bob and whoever he wants to be back next year will be here in Norman. Nobody on this board is gonna change any of that. The folks who write Bob's Paychecks may not like losing to oSu but in the grand Scheme of things....they know what our problems are. They have a real grasp on reality. They love Bob and he's not going anywhere and he's gonna do What ever he thinks needs to be done to get this team back on track.

Some folks think he's arrogant. I think he one of the nicest damn guys I've ever met. The Guy loves doing the right things. He would rather lose the Big Game than sell his principles off for a win like SUC got from us. Lots of folks here still post stats that include and sometimes don't include that year. Thing is....it really happened. IMO it wasn't a MNC as Pete Carroll and most of the SUC Team didn't play by the rules. We did play by the rules and I'm proud I'm not like one of those SUC Fans that go around accepting that they won a MNC even though the NCAA took it away. It's just easy to like Bob and how he tries to change lives for the better. It seems lately some guys on our Team have slipped by the Good Guy Image that Bob expects of his Players but hopefully he, Josh and Brent are already doing what it takes to get this Team back on track. The 3 losses this year shouldn't have happened and most of us know it.

The Doomsdayers can continue to whine and toss out FIRE THAT SUMBUCK!, but the truth is....The Sooners will continue to roll right on along and by next year....I'll bet the Stands are full. I know I plan on being there. Unless God has other plans for me....I will be.

Tear Down This Wall
12/4/2011, 12:31 PM
The walk through the Switzer Center I took with my Family on Friday before the ISU Game really says it all. There is a History that has been written on the walls there. It doesn't look anything like what some of these folks who seem to be having some sort of Personal Crisis over a 9-3 Season are posting. I swear....if I was gonna have a meltdown it would be over a 5-7 Season like fexas had last year. How the hell did Mack Brown survive that? If OU Fans are upset about losing to Baylor in the final seconds of a Road Game in Waco by a fluke play with time running out.....then what does a Mack Brown tell his Fans when he gets blown out by Baylor?

Mack will still be at the helm at fexas next year unless he retires.

Bob and whoever he wants to be back next year will be here in Norman. Nobody on this board is gonna change any of that. The folks who write Bob's Paychecks may not like losing to oSu but in the grand Scheme of things....they know what our problems are. They have a real grasp on reality. They love Bob and he's not going anywhere and he's gonna do What ever he thinks needs to be done to get this team back on track.

Some folks think he's arrogant. I think he one of the nicest damn guys I've ever met. The Guy loves doing the right things. He would rather lose the Big Game than sell his principles off for a win like SUC got from us. Lots of folks here still post stats that include and sometimes don't include that year. Thing is....it really happened. IMO it wasn't a MNC as Pete Carroll and most of the SUC Team didn't play by the rules. We did play by the rules and I'm proud I'm not like one of those SUC Fans that go around accepting that they won a MNC even though the NCAA took it away. It's just easy to like Bob and how he tries to change lives for the better. It seems lately some guys on our Team have slipped by the Good Guy Image that Bob expects of his Players but hopefully he, Josh and Brent are already doing what it takes to get this Team back on track. The 3 losses this year shouldn't have happened and most of us know it.

The Doomsdayers can continue to whine and toss out FIRE THAT SUMBUCK!, but the truth is....The Sooners will continue to roll right on along and by next year....I'll bet the Stands are full. I know I plan on being there. Unless God has other plans for me....I will be.

Baloney. It doesn't have to do with God, family, or any of that other crap. It has to do with being outcoached by Tommy Tuberville, Art Briles, and Mike Gundy all in the same season when you have a roster full of more talented players.

Stoops needs to wake up and make changes. A weak Big 12 has hidden his flaws for many years now.

opksooner
12/4/2011, 12:37 PM
"Call me what you want...."

Why, yes. Yes I will.

TXBOOMER
12/4/2011, 12:44 PM
Bob had a great staff when he came to OU. They have been picked off. His staff today is very average. Josh should be ashamed of not running the ball in the first quarter. Don't exploit the other teams weakness. Josh needs to go back to coaching the QB's. Bob had a gunslinger mentality when he got here. That is gone. Skolly management gets an F. 5 kicker/punters on skolly is a JOKE! He doesn't need to go anywhere, he needs to run the assistants that are not getting it done out of town and get the skolly numbers in line. If he doesn't we will be a mediocre team.

cherokeebrewer
12/4/2011, 12:45 PM
Baloney. It doesn't have to do with God, family, or any of that other crap. It has to do with being outcoached by Tommy Tuberville, Art Briles, and Mike Gundy all in the same season when you have a roster full of more talented players.

"Unless God has other plans for me"

I'm pretty sure StoupTroup meant, if he's still alive next year, he'll be in the stands supporting the Sooners...

and I'm really really starting to hate that bolded word...

bluedogok
12/4/2011, 01:50 PM
Texas has supposedly had more talented players every season but went 7-5 this season and 5-7 the season before, it can't all be poor coaching, sometimes it is on the players and the type of players being recruited. Sometimes the recruiters just miss on players, many times it isn't the physical talent but the mental toughness. Too many of today's highly recruited high school players have an entitlement mentality, they have always succeeded on sheer physical talent and don't know what it is like to work your *** off and then have a bunch of people around them feeding their egos. There seem to be very few out there anymore who have exceptional physical talent, an insatiable drive to win and a willingness to work towards the ultimate goal. We have become what we bagged on Texas for many years, too many primadonna players who think they can win by just showing up. To me the 2000 team was not that, it was a "TEAM" and not a collection of individuals looking forward the NFL. To compete at the highest level you always have to have some exceptional talent but I have always felt they needed to recruit some guys that weren't top level recruits but good players who work their rears off and have the desire to kick the asses of the primadonnas who don't "get it". The coaches can only do so much to get those type of players to commit to the team concept, you need to recruit guys who will buy into it and not try to force them into it.

I would like to see some changes on the staff, but I am not going to call for it because it is a futile effort that is worthless. I think the recruiting focus needs to change some more than anything. I would like to see more focus on the run game and more of a ball control type of offense, the wide open passing game is fun to watch but I think it puts too much strain on the other phases of the game.

I know that my expectations going into each season are never an undefeated season and/or a national championship, there are too many things that have to go "just right" to get to that point. Most of all you have to be lucky with injuries, the way the ball bounces on turnovers and with penalties, things just have to go "right" for you. No one is just that much better than everyone else anymore likt it was 30 years ago, not even LSU or Bama.

ashley
12/4/2011, 02:00 PM
OK, you'r a nut.

8timechamps
12/4/2011, 02:27 PM
I'm upset that we played so poorly last night, and it was pretty clear which team wanted it more. That said, I still support Bob as the HC, and am thankful we have him. I'm sure there are some changes that need to be made, and I'm 100% comfortable that Bob knows better than I do what those changes are.

I know not everyone that calls for coaching changes is young, but I can't help but think the majority of those that demand new coaches weren't alive or following the Sooners in the 90s. Most of us that lived through that period have perspective on the situation.

We can finish with a 10-3 record, and while it is a bit disappointing, it's a 10 win season. The majority of teams would gladly exchange their record for ours.

SOONER44EVER
12/4/2011, 02:38 PM
We won a Big 12 title with Paul Thompson, let me say it again, we won a Big 12 title with aul Thompson, because we ran the ball, kept the ball, and played solid D. Paul Thompson. Paul Thompson. Isn't he that guy who was sitting on the bench in the 4th quarter when we were up by 40 with Jason White still in the game?

oudavid1
12/4/2011, 02:56 PM
2000 team had zero major injuries. Auburn last year had zero major injuries, Alabama in 2009, Florida in 2008...only way to WIN it, is a little touch of luck! That is just my opinion. 2008 we were good enough, 2011 I think we'll never know.