PDA

View Full Version : Saltgrass

Stanley1
7/6/2004, 03:11 PM
Not one of my favorite places to eat. Is it me, or is their steak VERY average for the price? That said, I am making the company pay for it, so maybe I shouldn't whine.

crawfish
7/6/2004, 03:12 PM
You're absolutely right.

Stop whining if you're not paying for it.

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/6/2004, 03:13 PM
Not only is it highly overrated food, the service sucks and I usually only tip a nickel.

Boffingham
7/6/2004, 03:15 PM
Drive down to Bob's Steakhouse in Plano, Texas. Best steakhouse in America.

Harry Beanbag
7/6/2004, 04:44 PM
We ate at Saltgrass when we were in Dallas a couple years ago. I don't remember the steak being great or bad, just remember I ate one. But they had some shrimp/cheese/jalapeno appetizers that were excellent.

SeattleOUstudent
7/6/2004, 04:45 PM
Id rather have Outback, personally.

VeeJay
7/6/2004, 08:08 PM
The few times I visited Saltgrass (Lewisville) I thought the ribeye was excellent. The bourbon was good, too. And in plentiful supply.

If the company's paying for it and you can get away with it, bring a few extra co-workers along - that way you can have more than your share of the booze and hide it in the total. Hey - worked for me.

I won't order a steak at Outback. Way too many other better choices.

Frozen Sooner
7/6/2004, 08:09 PM
Did you know that the British spell "whining" as "whinging?"

Totally threw me when I read some Tom Holt books.

jk the sooner fan
7/6/2004, 08:13 PM
if you've never had a steak at Ruth's Chris.....you've not lived (in the world of great steaks)

saltgrass is very average and overprices...outback is really the same....there's a texas land and cattle here in SA thats not bad for a steak

Frozen Sooner
7/6/2004, 08:30 PM
AND Ruth's Chris is now allowing franchises. They used to be 100% corporate.

SoonerProphet
7/6/2004, 08:34 PM
Texas Land and Cattle here in the metro are not too bad either. The Headmaster took the new faculty to a place called Blade's Chophouse in downtown FW, is was really good.

GrapevineSooner
7/6/2004, 08:34 PM
Texas Land and Cattle is OK.

But if I want a really, really good steak, I'll just head over to my father-in-law's house since he's been in the restaraunt industry for...well, a very long time.

Frozen Sooner
7/6/2004, 08:36 PM
I like Sullivan's, BTW, if we're talking chains. Very good.

Cam
7/6/2004, 08:52 PM
Saltgrass is ok, if it's all that's around.

If you want a great steak, try Papa's Steakhouse in Dallas. Freaking amazing.

batonrougesooner
7/6/2004, 09:27 PM
Best steaks I've ever had

1. Emeril's Delmonico
2. Sullivan's in Baton Rouge (not sure if this is the same Frozen referred to.)
3. Ruth Chris

After this you have the chain Outback-type places. They are all the succ compared to the above three.

If you haven't had a ribeye at Emeril's then you really haven't lived IMHO.

jk the sooner fan
7/6/2004, 09:32 PM
i had an excellent steak at a Black Angus in Florida......

Frozen Sooner
7/7/2004, 01:15 AM
Baton Rouge-I think so. Like I said, it's a chain. Only like 10 restaurants, though.

TheDude
7/7/2004, 02:51 AM
I had saltgrass once. It was pretty radical, man...

Harry Beanbag
7/7/2004, 06:17 AM
We had a Texas Land & Cattle here for about 6 months, it was gawd awfully terrible.

Sexy Sooner Angel
7/7/2004, 08:12 AM
I like Sullivan's, BTW, if we're talking chains. Very good.
You got it Froze. Sullivan's is awesome!

Beano's Fourth Chin
7/7/2004, 08:25 AM
Taste of Texas
Lynn's
Ruth's Chris
Roy's
Cracker Barrel has some good little breakfast steaks.

Frozen Sooner
7/7/2004, 11:03 AM
You know what I found out about Sullivan's? They're actually owned by Lone Star. Or Outback. One of those places.

Stanley1
7/7/2004, 11:04 AM
Had a really good filet at a place called Longhorns in Jacksonville, FL.

TheHumanAlphabet
7/7/2004, 11:06 AM
I don't eat there anymore, average steak at extreme prices. The Tillman Fertida brand of restaurants that include Joe's Crab Shack, Landry's, The Aquarium and a few others...

Texas Roadhouse has good steaks at good prices...

Sexy Sooner Angel
7/7/2004, 11:07 AM
You know what I found out about Sullivan's? They're actually owned by Lone Star. Or Outback. One of those places.
I had no idea. Although I guess most franchises now a days are owned by much larger coporations.

Eddie Money
7/7/2004, 11:13 AM
Mackie McNear owns all those places.

snp
10/12/2006, 09:32 AM
Bumping this because I got hired yesterday. They're going to be displaying their logo all around the joint, which is a longhorn. I asked them at orientation if we could turn them upside down. They said "I don't think so"

Not only is it highly overrated food, the service sucks and I usually only tip a nickel.

You're totally getting fermunda cheese from me if you ever come.

achiro
10/12/2006, 10:54 AM
I worked at one in Houston fr a while when I was still in school. It was really good back then. I've been to the one near Grapevine a couple of times since then and wasn't impressed.
There is a little hole in the wall bar here in Enid called Chicaro's.(Not mexican at all). By far the best ribeye I've ever had...ever! It's always good too, not one of those "good depending on who cooks it things". Not cheap but its huge, prolly 2 inches thick at least. I know a bunch of people that drive long distances to eat fried chicken in Okarche, this is much more worth a drive IMHO.;)

TexasSooner01
10/12/2006, 11:08 AM
Taste of Texas in Houston is really good. you get to pick your own steak

tbl
10/12/2006, 12:11 PM
I've always had good service at Saltgrass, and their Sirloin Tips are the best I've ever had. I got to eat there on Tuesday b/c I was back in DFW for business. I was pleased as usual...

TheHumanAlphabet
10/13/2006, 04:27 AM
Fertida just sold the Joe's Crab Shack brand. The Joe's that weren't sold will become Salt Grass. Apparently that brand is HIGH MARGIN for Fertida. So another reason to not go. 1. It's owned by Fertida and 2. the high margin = high prices with low cost product.

Vaevictis
10/13/2006, 04:58 AM
Taste of Texas in Houston is really good. you get to pick your own steak

The salad bar is wicked good too, as is the apple butter.

Man, I love me some Taste of Texas.

The restaurant scene is about the only thing I miss about Houston; man that place has so many good restaurants to choose from.

TexasSooner01
10/13/2006, 09:11 AM
The salad bar is wicked good too, as is the apple butter.

Man, I love me some Taste of Texas.

The restaurant scene is about the only thing I miss about Houston; man that place has so many good restaurants to choose from.

Yep the Melting Pot is good too! Now if we could just get rid of the Humidity and the Evacuees (sp?) we would have it made! :D

TheHumanAlphabet
10/14/2006, 03:24 AM
Yep the Melting Pot is good too! Now if we could just get rid of the Humidity and the Evacuees (sp?) we would have it made! :D

I'd be happy with just getting rid of the welfaring/gangsta pimpa$$ NOLAs/Evacuees...

Petro-Sooner
8/16/2007, 03:43 PM
Best steak in Norman? Saltgrass? Outback? Other? What say you?

OklahomaRed
8/16/2007, 03:57 PM
Best steak ever? Ruth Chris Steakhouse in MN.

Outback doesn't impress me at all. Also, if you are ever in Amarillo, don't was your time on the Big Texan unless you like tourist traps. :D

jk the sooner fan
8/16/2007, 04:09 PM
remember when beano used to post here?

anybody in the dallas area been to bobs steak and chophouse?

soonerinabilene
8/16/2007, 04:24 PM
Outback has no flavor, to me, at least. There are a couple of local owned mesquite grills here in abilene that are great. If you ever have to come through, stop by either joe allens or lytle land & cattle. As far as "chain" restaruants go, Texas Roadhouse is the best in Abilene.

I remember my grandma taking me to a place in tulsa years ago called Jamil's or something like that. It was good then. Dont know if it is still around.

Oh, and I hear Ryan's Steakhouse is awesome.;)

apusooner
8/16/2007, 04:27 PM
i liked cattleman's. indian hills steakhouse as well

colleyvillesooner
8/16/2007, 04:29 PM
remember when beano used to post here?

anybody in the dallas area been to bobs steak and chophouse?

Yes, and it was awesome. Went to the location on lemmon, i think. Mashed potatoes were amazing, as was the glazed whole carrot.

Norm was right on this one. :D

PrideTrombone
8/16/2007, 04:34 PM
Best steak I've had:

St. Elmo's Steakhouse in Indianapolis
Musashi's - Kobe Beef

yermom
8/16/2007, 04:50 PM
the Kobe at Musashi's is pretty awesome

Harry Beanbag
8/16/2007, 05:06 PM
Oh, and I hear Ryan's Steakhouse is awesome.;)

I've only had the beefaroni there, is the steak good?

Widescreen
8/16/2007, 05:06 PM
Cue the Ryan's Steakhouse bathroom story...

Harry Beanbag
8/16/2007, 05:07 PM
It's yermom's week to post it.

yermom
8/16/2007, 05:13 PM
once a week is enough :D

Harry Beanbag
8/16/2007, 05:14 PM
It is kind of draining. :)

OUinFLA
8/16/2007, 05:18 PM
Ive heard it so much it just goes in one end and and out the other.....
or.....out the same end.

TMcGee86
8/16/2007, 05:44 PM
Bob's is awesome.

as is Del Frisco's.

As far as Saltgrass goes, I've never had their steak, because I dont usually eat steak in chain's like that, but I have had their chicken kabobs, and they are money.

Perini's Ranch in Buffalo Gap, Tx is where it's at for Ribeye. Best evar.

snp
8/16/2007, 06:15 PM
Never work at a Saltgrass if you value your soul.

def_lazer_fc
8/16/2007, 07:26 PM
never eat at a saltgrass if you value your taste buds. overpriced crap is what it is. them and outback both. neither of em can cook a steak worth a damn. if you put so much effort into explaining the differences of the how done a steak is to a customer when they order it, the least you could do is actually cook it like that. i have to tell em everytime to cook it as rare as they can in hopes that i get a medium steak to my table. :mad: