PDA

View Full Version : fond OU campus memories

SoonerLaw09
12/2/2011, 03:21 PM
My roommate at OU was beserko for that girl. Lots of crap music in those days, but good memories.

Does anyone remember the beer soaked dances at the old Wilson Activity Center? The horrible old Wilson dorms are now gone, and a parking lot is where they stood. Just to the NW of Huffman.

I decided this deserved its own thread.

Oh good grief, do I remember those. Tell you what, the 80s were probably the last fun time to be an OU student. Everything is so sanitized now. All the fun and interesting stuff they used to do is gone. And I read in the paper this morning that they are turning the South Oval into a "pedestrian mall". Blech! :(

You used to be able to hear a live band most days/nights of the week on campus. They used to play on that little stage that used to be on the union patio (gone now). Or you could go to the Wilson dances (anybody remember Stiff Richard? The Nixons? The Nickels?). Campus corner had several venues as well. Crossroads, hanging out between classes (you could get a beer there, and smoke too if that was your thing). The Other Film Club (weekly in Dale Hall). The Passion Pit. Sometimes it sucked, and most of the time I was broke, but undergrad was basically good times.

TUSooner
12/2/2011, 03:48 PM
I decided this deserved its own thread.

Oh good grief, do I remember those. Tell you what, the 80s were probably the last fun time to be an OU student. Everything is so sanitized now. All the fun and interesting stuff they used to do is gone. And I read in the paper this morning that they are turning the South Oval into a "pedestrian mall". Blech! :(

You used to be able to hear a live band most days/nights of the week on campus. They used to play on that little stage that used to be on the union patio (gone now). Or you could go to the Wilson dances (anybody remember Stiff Richard? The Nixons? The Nickels?). Campus corner had several venues as well. Crossroads, hanging out between classes (you could get a beer there, and smoke too if that was your thing). The Other Film Club (weekly in Dale Hall). The Passion Pit. Sometimes it sucked, and most of the time I was broke, but undergrad was basically good times.

Grow up and get a life -- and a job.

And stay off my lawn!!

:wink:

SoonerLaw09
12/2/2011, 04:04 PM
Grow up and get a life -- and a job.

And stay off my lawn!!

:wink:

Huh?

cleller
12/2/2011, 04:11 PM
There were also smaller parties held in the basements of Walker and Adams, but the ones at "The WAC" (Wilson Activity Center) dwarfed them. Despite the beer-all-over-the-dancefloor atmosphere, they were fun, loud, but not at all violent.
People would pile coats in a little room there, not worrying about something getting stolen. Now I do sound old. Someone here was probably conceived after one of those parties.

Also miss the grassy mall south of Huffman, and Pinocchio's in Stubbeman.

In the spring, they used to let anyone who wanted play ball on that rock-hard astroturf at Owen Field. A nose tackle with the last name Blake stopped by and played a little touch football with some of us once. He was faster than all of us and downright nice.

cleller
12/2/2011, 04:13 PM
Huh?

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/cs6000/5034406902_2d6f883872.jpg

Petro-Sooner
12/2/2011, 04:24 PM
I wish my OU days would have been in the 80s

hawaii 5-0
12/2/2011, 04:59 PM
Wilson Center. Tho I lived in Cate the best parties were in Wilson.

We went thru a lot of housekeepers my freshman year 'cause we trashed the place so bad on weekends.

5-0

sooneron
12/2/2011, 10:31 PM
The OU campus back in the 80's? Yeah, I had teh secks all over it. Good times... You'd find a closer at Red Fox on wet t shirt night and head back to her dorm rm or yours... Then there was free beer night at SRO, U Club or whatever else there was... yep, good times, indeed. I forgot about the WAC. heh, that was scrapin'.... I was in Cate in Hume Hse frosh year.

hawaii 5-0
12/2/2011, 10:36 PM
I recall in the early 70's, on the South Oval, a landscaper showing me the many flower beds. It was late Spring, in May. At dusk, if you got on your knees and looked level with the tops of the flowers you could see occasional plants that stuck up just a little bit higher than the regular bedding plants.

The marijuana seedlings.

5-0

SicEmBaylor
12/2/2011, 11:51 PM
Best memory I have on OU's campus was winning the state debate championship in Boren's private conference room.

That's probably my best memory of OU's campus.

bluedogok
12/2/2011, 11:58 PM
Beer was still 18 my freshman year.....

Flagstaffsooner
12/3/2011, 03:52 AM
Walter Mitty's and the Jock Strap.

AlbqSooner
12/3/2011, 07:48 AM
Best memory I have on OU's campus was winning the state debate championship in Boren's private conference room.

So you weren't in school at the same time as Leroy?

Lott's Bandana
12/3/2011, 01:30 PM
Summertime growing up in Norman.

Cheerleader Camp in the Towers.

Need I say more?

delhalew
12/3/2011, 01:45 PM
All I know is, I should give a word of caution, I spilled every bodily fluid I possesses all over that campus.

I was pleased with my mid-nineties experience, but everything was a little more free wheelin' in the 70's and 80's...no doubt.

Walker tower...represent.

Jacie
12/3/2011, 02:03 PM
Cate? Wilson? Bah! Crotch, I mean Cross Center in the 70's was where it's at. As for the towers, I was never completely comfortable with a hookup over there, too much going on when you needed 2 or 3 minutes of privacy.

And if you think you spilled fluid all over campus, a roomie of mine had an experience in the McCasland laundry room one night, not in my top 10 list of places to rendezvous . . .

Turd_Ferguson
12/3/2011, 02:06 PM
Summertime growing up in Norman.

Cheerleader Camp in the Towers.

Need I say more?This. I remember it well.

delhalew
12/3/2011, 02:27 PM
Cate? Wilson? Bah! Crotch, I mean Cross Center in the 70's was where it's at. As for the towers, I was never completely comfortable with a hookup over there, too much going on when you needed 2 or 3 minutes of privacy.

And if you think you spilled fluid all over campus, a roomie of mine had an experience in the McCasland laundry room one night, not in my top 10 list of places to rendezvous . . .

Lol. I ended up with my own room for a semester and a half...debauchery ensued.

C&CDean
12/3/2011, 04:06 PM
The reason that old turf on Owen Field was so hard and crusty was the gallons and gallons of schmeg and assorted other drippings. The 50-yard line was especially crusty.

OUstud
12/4/2011, 11:50 PM
Alcohol checks never failed to entertain me. What a joke. "Dry campus" is the ultimate oxymoron.

SicEmBaylor
12/4/2011, 11:58 PM
I forget which dorm they lived in, but I visited a couple of friends one weekend. We get in the elevator to go up to their room and she tells me, "Whatever you do don't touch the elevator walls." I had no idea why but I could guess.

It was a rather large tower not far from the stadium.

Serge Ibaka
12/5/2011, 01:18 AM
I forget which dorm they lived in, but I visited a couple of friends one weekend. We get in the elevator to go up to their room and she tells me, "Whatever you do don't touch the elevator walls." I had no idea why but I could guess.

Walker is the closest to the stadium, but they're all basically the same structure.

I began at OU in Fall 2006; being an undergrad right now is pretty lame if you're not Greek (until you're 21 of course, but that's only a mild-improvement--campus corner is really lacking anything unique & interesting; The Deli is my favorite spot right now, and that's only bearable a few times each month).

I got a "strike" my first semester on campus--RAs found a few of us drinking beer in a room (Walker 6), and they sent OUPD to our door. We were fined, and we had to attend an alcohol-awareness class and speak individually with a drug-counselor @ Goddard. Yawn.

Your guys' golden-times sound way better.

Dale Ellis
12/5/2011, 09:51 AM
The Jockey Strap on campus corner.

KantoSooner
12/5/2011, 10:31 AM
Summer classes during the mid 80's were wunderbar. much slower pace, pavement radiating heat up at you just after sunset. Wearing flipflops, running shorts and a 2 oz t-shirt. Burned to a crisp after all day in the sun. Heading down to the corner to have a beer and hear some music. Nodding to the evening shift girls as they headed into Sugars. The smell of dust and oak trees on a rising breeze. Long conversations concerning frisbee golf, the zen of grass mowing, prospects for the sooners in the fall and whether it was even theoretically possible to take an Irish Setter for a walk without a leash.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/5/2011, 11:15 AM
Anyone remember the beer dives out in the South campus east of Lloyd Noble?? Man those places were heaps...

TheHumanAlphabet
12/5/2011, 11:17 AM

Peeing down the elevator shaft was a large past time and least in Walker Tower...

delhalew
12/5/2011, 11:42 AM
Walker is the closest to the stadium, but they're all basically the same structure.

I began at OU in Fall 2006; being an undergrad right now is pretty lame if you're not Greek (until you're 21 of course, but that's only a mild-improvement--campus corner is really lacking anything unique & interesting; The Deli is my favorite spot right now, and that's only bearable a few times each month).

I got a "strike" my first semester on campus--RAs found a few of us drinking beer in a room (Walker 6), and they sent OUPD to our door. We were fined, and we had to attend an alcohol-awareness class and speak individually with a drug-counselor @ Goddard. Yawn.

Jeez. I was on Walker 6 in 94/95, and our bathtubs were usually full of beer that had to be drank in order to shower. I'll not even get into the other stuff, but I didn't learn OU had their own drug task force until I was living off campus.

delhalew
12/5/2011, 11:43 AM
Peeing down the elevator shaft was a large past time and least in Walker Tower...

Ok, that's one thing I never did. LMAO.

delhalew
12/5/2011, 11:57 AM
Does anyone from my time period remember Hostey's band Heater? I'm forgetting the names of places I used to frequent back then. Campus corner was completely different. La Baguette still had a CC location back then.

TUSooner
12/5/2011, 12:05 PM
This thread should be made into a movie. It would be a bad movie, but the eternally sphomorioc would pay to see it. Actually, hasn't it been made into several movies that the eternally sophomoric paid lots money to see?
Pffft.

And stay off!

SicEmBaylor
12/5/2011, 03:11 PM
Ok, that's one thing I never did. LMAO.
Everyone knows you don't pee down the elevator shaft -- you pee in your room's sink.

delhalew
12/5/2011, 03:14 PM
Everyone knows you don't pee down the elevator shaft -- you pee in your room's sink.

I had a toilet. That always seemed to do the trick.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/5/2011, 05:18 PM
In the spring of 93, I was a fresh-faced OBU student. My date and I went to Norman and had non-alcoholic beverages at Toto's then headed to Rome 90 to see a band called Ancient Chinese Penis.

Lott's Bandana
12/5/2011, 05:29 PM
Anyone remember the beer dives out in the South campus east of Lloyd Noble?? Man those places were heaps...

However, there was a titty bar out there in the early '80s that recruited from the Greek houses. That was some of the most beautiful eye-candy known in the most shacktified place I have ever seen. And back then, you could have a beer and not worry about G-strings or pasties...full frontal goodness.

Jacie
12/5/2011, 07:20 PM
Then there was the year (1978?) Playboy came to Norman for a Women of the Big 8 spread. Paid The Oklahoma Daily for a display ad, which they ran, offering young ladies a paid photo shoot for possible inclusion in the issue. Women's libbers went ballistic that the Daily had run the ad and demanded it be pulled. The DO caved with nary a whisper and refunded Playboy their $50. The resulting publicity probably got them more girls to take advantage of the test shoots than the ad. It may have been the inspiration for the Doonesbury set when Playboy came to campus and BD encouraged Boopsie to pose.

Lott's Bandana
12/5/2011, 07:24 PM
I had a class with Candy Loving.

Ended up with an incomplete.

There's a metaphor there somewhere.

Whet
12/5/2011, 08:37 PM
Candy Loving - Playboy's 25th Anniversary Playmate - January 1979. Still remember the pictures taken from the library.
Grey Fox Inn, south campus, east of LNC.
Donovan's Reef - on Classen, south of Lindsay. Foos Ball was the game here.
Winchesters - had the 1st video game - Pong! Spent some time at this place.
Riverside Drive Inn - South of HWY 9 @ 24th SW
And, freshman year - Baker House, Cross Center!

bluedogok
12/5/2011, 11:37 PM

I was on Walker 6 West, we had a beer can pyramid all the way across the bookcases. Move-in week the beer companies were giving away stuff (posters, cups, koozies, etc.) on the lawn between Walker and Adams. We got caught with liquor once, the RA told us to keep it in the closet and not leave it out on the counter.

oudavid1
12/6/2011, 09:28 AM
Man, UCO sucks.

cleller
12/6/2011, 09:44 AM
On my floor in Walker in 1980 The first suite you walked by had one room empty out in the first weeks. Guys flunked out or something. The guys on the other side of the suite turned this into what we called The Living Room. Couch, chairs, beer keg, etc.

These two were hysterical. One looked like a lumberjack, huge bearded guy. The other looked just like Jon Anderson from Yes.
Luckily, they were both very smart, because they never got any studying done.

Lott's Bandana
12/6/2011, 09:58 AM
Candy Loving - Playboy's 25th Anniversary Playmate - January 1979. Still remember the pictures taken from the library.

When I was 16 at Norman High, I would often bartend for Mary when it was really busy.

This is the place I learned to down an entire glass of beer by just pouring it down my open throat.
A talent that never got me laid and isn't much of a resume bullet, I have learned.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/6/2011, 11:26 AM

Damn, some fine memories.

As for titay... Anyone remember High Horse Saloon on Lindsay? There was another really bad dive on Classen(?) up hear the North campus...

Breadburner
12/6/2011, 11:57 AM
When I was 16 at Norman High, I would often bartend for Mary when it was really busy.

This is the place I learned to down an entire glass of beer by just pouring it down my open throat.
A talent that never got me laid and isn't much of a resume bullet, I have learned.

PM me please....!

cleller
12/6/2011, 12:50 PM

As for titay... Anyone remember High Horse Saloon on Lindsay? There was another really bad dive on Classen(?) up hear the North campus...

One night I left the dorm with some guys to go eat or something, and we all ended up at the high horse. A couple of buddies are getting plastered and shook down by dancers in a booth, another is on pervert row shoving dollar bills up the grand canyon with his teeth, and another (who was somehow still 17) got hauled away by the police.
Definitely out of our league.

Whet
12/6/2011, 12:54 PM
The one time I went to that titay bar near north campus, the daughter of my neighbor (when I lived at Blue Ridge Village) was the stripper dancing. It was very awkward, sitting on the front row and talking to her while she was performing, about when we lived in Blue Ridge. I did have to sneek a few peeks at Cooter Jones, while talking.

Whet
12/6/2011, 12:57 PM
Bunny Club? Anyone?? We were there partying the night after the Ohio State game and in walks the King and joins the wild drinking party.

And, anyone remember the Streak Fest in the South Oval pit in Spring 74? Nekid folks everywhere!!

hawaii 5-0
12/7/2011, 12:58 AM
Bunny Club? Anyone?? We were there partying the night after the Ohio State game and in walks the King and joins the wild drinking party.

And, anyone remember the Streak Fest in the South Oval pit in Spring 74? Nekid folks everywhere!!

I was in on the streakfest at the pit. Those poor shrubs looks pretty bad the next day.

5-0

Jacie
12/7/2011, 05:29 PM
I was in on the streakfest at the pit. Those poor shrubs looks pretty bad the next day.

5-0

Not sure if I should admit to it, but I was there too . . .

delhalew
12/7/2011, 05:42 PM
Not sure if I should admit to it, but I was there too . . .

Statute of limitations...I think you're fine. I'd cop to more, but I'm unsure about the limitations on some federal crimes;)

Lott's Bandana
12/7/2011, 06:05 PM
Those were the days when most of the shrubs were attached to the streakers.

SicEmBaylor
12/7/2011, 06:13 PM
Does each dorm building at OU have its own sort of culture/personality/stereotype?

delhalew
12/7/2011, 06:36 PM
Seemed like Walker, Adams, and Couch were pretty comparable. The honeys were pretty spread out among the three. I forgot the name of the ancient ****hole that I never went inside.

bluedogok
12/7/2011, 11:58 PM
Seemed like Walker, Adams, and Couch were pretty comparable. The honeys were pretty spread out among the three. I forgot the name of the ancient ****hole that I never went inside.
Cate Center?

Whitehand Hall was still a residential dorm when I was there, they were supposed to close it but had enough demand to keep it open the year that I was in Walker (82-83).

delhalew
12/8/2011, 12:12 AM
Cate Center?

Whitehand Hall was still a residential dorm when I was there, they were supposed to close it but had enough demand to keep it open the year that I was in Walker (82-83).

I forgot about Cate. Don't think I was ever in that one either.

OUstud
12/8/2011, 03:36 AM
When did Couch open up to students? My mom was telling me it was used for something else when she was there (circa 1980). I lived there my freshman year, 2008-09.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/8/2011, 10:00 AM
Oh my God, your Mom was there in 1980. I am getting old. I lived in Walker, 1978-1981. Couch used to be the living quarters for Postal Training people. They ate in a separate area from the students at crotch crapeteria. Ask you mom about that moniker...

cleller
12/15/2011, 11:23 AM
Hate to see this die.
Anyone remember hearing this blaring up and down the halls in 1980?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMM6Bhwpy0M

Wish I could figure out embedding.

Petro-Sooner
12/15/2011, 11:32 AM
Where was the baker house?

cleller
12/15/2011, 12:46 PM
Baker was in Cross Center, way out SW of Couch. Don't know if those are still active or not.

SoonerLaw09
12/15/2011, 03:01 PM
Cross Center was turned into office space in the late 80s. The Oklahoma Indigent Defense System is there, along with the OU Distance Learning office and some other stuff.

GDC
12/15/2011, 03:49 PM
I really enjoyed living in Kraettli for a year.

goodonya
12/15/2011, 06:10 PM
I was a Sr. in HS in 73 but my GF lived in Walker as a Frosh. Went down on Sat. nites as her roomie had a bf in law school. That was the beginning of the streaker thing. Sitting in the corridor between Walker and Adams was skin city.

I lived in Walker (6) in 74 and that was the beginning of my "new"life.

As some mentioned before, these places hold fond and not so fond memories (what are left):

Grey Fox Inn
Donovan's Reef cum South 40
Winchesters
The Strap
Blue Onion (remember the sig on the card - K Denton)
The Monterrey House became The Mont
The Library (the bar not the stacks)
Pinks
Amateur hour at (you know where, I still cannot bring myself to speak the words)
OU Motel when it had rubber sheets.
Dallas the dancing palace
SBS
There's more I know but that's all I can conjure with remaining brain cells

As house manager in my frat i procured a 7-bin Coke machine and had it installed. We filled it with 7-kinds of beers for $.35/ea. Highly profitable. Today it would get you a room in big Mac.

Visiting my soph son at his frat house now is like being trapped in the dean's office. It is practically sterile. Actually, upon reflection, I'm pretty glad it is not still like my time.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/15/2011, 06:31 PM
I loved living in Cate Center. At the time, three quads were for coeds and one quad was for dudes. Nice ratio if you like coeds. Also closest to classes, which is nice when the wind chill factor cuts to the bone.

Whet
12/15/2011, 09:37 PM
I lived in Baker House and took the time to paint the room. I also painted a brick below my window. Now, here is a picture taken in '07, 33 years later, with the painted brick still visible:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3248/3086412592_6389cba827_z.jpg

hawaii 5-0
12/15/2011, 11:47 PM
I was in Cate 3 years, different house each year. I loved the proximity and the ability to open the windows.

5-0

OUstud
12/16/2011, 01:16 AM
Visiting my soph son at his frat house now is like being trapped in the dean's office. It is practically sterile. Actually, upon reflection, I'm pretty glad it is not still like my time.

I would kill to have experienced Greek life in the wet campus days. (Although, there was probably nothing sterile about the upstairs of your son's house :very_drunk: ). Going dry is the worst thing a campus can do...it doesn't do anything positive except protect the university. DUIs and alcohol related offenses have gone way up. But hey, anytime you can make a policy that gets a student kicked out of school for having as little as 3 separate drinks at the wrong place and wrong time...

TheHumanAlphabet
12/16/2011, 10:49 AM
I lived in Baker House and took the time to paint the room. I also painted a brick below my window. Now, here is a picture taken in '07, 33 years later, with the painted brick still visible:

Heh, remember one evening walking over to Dale hall or such, some dude making whoopie with his girlfriend on the top bunk. Only thing he left the light on in part of the room and they were both silloutted against the window/blinds and the people down below were getting a show! :eek:

OklaPony
12/16/2011, 06:40 PM
Hate to see this die.
Anyone remember hearing this blaring up and down the halls in 1980?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMM6Bhwpy0M

Wish I could figure out embedding.
Wow, you might have been across the hall from me!

I loved living in Cate Center. At the time, three quads were for coeds and one quad was for dudes. Nice ratio if you like coeds. Also closest to classes, which is nice when the wind chill factor cuts to the bone.
It was 2 and 2 when I was there plus the honors (mini-Walker) complex. The two west quads were guys, east were girls.

I was in Cate 3 years, different house each year. I loved the proximity and the ability to open the windows.

5-0
Yup, that was nice. Air conditioning would've been nicer but that was for the wimps. :)

Parker House - Freshman Year 80-81
Oliver House - Sophomore Year 81-82

Petro-Sooner
12/16/2011, 09:15 PM

That's good stuff right there! I did my dorm days at nsu before transferring. Sounds about like the stuff we would try Always looking for something new to pull off for entertainment.

trwxxa
12/16/2011, 10:28 PM

Friday afternoon choir practice.

OUstud
12/18/2011, 04:48 AM
Random question: I was browsing setlist.fm, and it says that the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Smashing Pumpkins played Hollywood Theater in Norman in 1991. Is this accurate and if so, were there routinely good concerts there? It looks really small just driving by it, and RHCP had just released a big album at the time...

Jacie
12/18/2011, 12:26 PM
I saw George Thorogood there so yeah, some good concerts happened in the old theater.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/18/2011, 12:37 PM
Wow, you might have been across the hall from me!

It was 2 and 2 when I was there plus the honors (mini-Walker) complex. The two west quads were guys, east were girls.

Yup, that was nice. Air conditioning would've been nicer but that was for the wimps. :)

Parker House - Freshman Year 80-81
Oliver House - Sophomore Year 81-82

I was a Parker Pooner my Freshman year too!

bluedogok
12/18/2011, 06:00 PM
Random question: I was browsing setlist.fm, and it says that the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Smashing Pumpkins played Hollywood Theater in Norman in 1991. Is this accurate and if so, were there routinely good concerts there? It looks really small just driving by it, and RHCP had just released a big album at the time...
Sometimes those shows are booked before a group hits the big time. In 1991 I had just moved to Dallas and my cousin's band was playing a show at Cowboy's on Gaston. In was stupid crowded in there that night, after the show I was sitting with them in the bus when the owner came in (he grew up in Altus like my cousin) and said they broke the attendance record that Garth Brooks set a years or so before (almost 1,000 over capacity). He said they booked the show about six months prior, in that time period is when Garth broke into the big time, he said his management asked to get out of the contract and he said no so they honored it, he said he was surprised they didn't push harder to break or renegotiate it. I think it was the 1990 OU-Texas game that he had a free show after the game at the Miller Beer stage, that show was booked before he broke big as well.

RiddlerOK
12/20/2011, 01:44 PM

A group of us really trashed out Walker Tower back in the early 80's. We filled up a large trash can with water, set it in the elevator up on the 10th floor, pulled it forward, pressed the lobby button and let go of it so it would lean against the door on the way down, at 2 a.m. in the morning. Needless to say, the door opened at the lobby and the rest was history.

And who could forget the introduction of video games in the lounge areas at the beginning of the 80's.....

SoonerLaw09
12/20/2011, 05:05 PM
A group of us really trashed out Walker Tower back in the early 80's. We filled up a large trash can with water, set it in the elevator up on the 10th floor, pulled it forward, pressed the lobby button and let go of it so it would lean against the door on the way down, at 2 a.m. in the morning. Needless to say, the door opened at the lobby and the rest was history.....

Oh, so that was YOU guys!!

BigTip
12/23/2011, 11:53 PM
I was there too. What a phenomena.
My high school prom date ended up being roommates with Candy Loving. They came to see me at work. My street cred shot right up! lol
Winchesters; drinking red beer.
Foosball was a huge thing around then. I remember many a sweaty nights working hard on a foosball table.

OklaPony
12/24/2011, 12:46 PM
I don't remember RHCP at the Hollywood although I do seem to remember them up at one of the warehouses in Bricktown about that same time. Pumpkins definitely played there... I had some of my gear gear rented to the production folks for the show.