PDA

View Full Version : I think Mike Gundy is coaching for his job Saturday.

oudavid1
12/2/2011, 01:01 AM
I really like Mike Gundy. He has been great for Oklahoma State. But I think he is coaching for his job Saturday. I know beating Oklahoma is not easy, but this really is the year. Oklahoma State is the best it has EVER been. They have 2 absolute stars that are leaving after this year (I guarantee Blackmon is gone). Mike is 0-6 vs Oklahoma since he became coach in '05. He has been at Oklahoma State for 7 years now, which is plenty long enough to gauge whether or not he is what Oklahoma State really wants....a national championship winner. I know some think they will never win :rolleyes:, but this is THE year for Oklahoma State. Oklahoma is down their best WR and top rusher, not to mention their second-third best pass rusher, and the game is in Stillwater. Oklahoma State has created and established a brand now more than ever, but if they cant win it this year, I think that is the end for Gundy. I think some will refer to his record(which is very nice) in order to defend him, but 2-12 vs Oklahoma and texas is not good enough for national championships and all it takes is that number(in my opinion) just whispered into a recruits ear and Oklahoma State could lose that valuable edge they have even with uniforms/stadiums/offense to acquire the caliber of recruits they have been accessing over the past few years. Bottom Line: This could be it for Gundy.

Would love to hear thoughts from anyone about what I wrote right here :D

oudavid1
12/2/2011, 01:09 AM
I really like Mike Gundy. He has been great for Oklahoma State. But I think he is coaching for his job Saturday. I know beating Oklahoma is not easy, but this really is the year. Oklahoma State is the best it has EVER been. They have 2 absolute stars that are leaving after this year (I guarantee Blackmon is gone). Mike is 0-6 vs Oklahoma since he became coach in '05. He has been at Oklahoma State for 7 years now, which is plenty long enough to gauge whether or not he is what Oklahoma State really wants....a national championship winner. I know some think they will never win :rolleyes:, but this is THE year for Oklahoma State. Oklahoma is down their best WR and top rusher, not to mention their second-third best pass rusher, and the game is in Stillwater. Oklahoma State has created and established a brand now more than ever, but if they cant win it this year, I think that is the end for Gundy. I think some will refer to his record(which is very nice) in order to defend him, but 2-12 vs Oklahoma and texas is not good enough for national championships and all it takes is that number(in my opinion) just whispered into a recruits ear and Oklahoma State could lose that valuable edge they have even with uniforms/stadiums/offense to acquire the caliber of recruits they have been accessing over the past few years. Bottom Line: This could be it for Gundy.

CowboyMRW
12/2/2011, 01:20 AM
That didn't go over well on OP haha.

I don't think he's coaching for his job per se, but there is a lot of pressure on him this year, rightfully so.

oudavid1
12/2/2011, 01:30 AM
That didn't go over well on OP haha.

I don't think he's coaching for his job per se, but there is a lot of pressure on him this year, rightfully so.

Imagine that, they all started with attacks on OU fans in general....but MRW, you were just the person I was hoping to get a response from. I really like your posts. Thanks for the reply! I agree, a lot of pressure. I've just noticed a lot of quick triggers and maybe OSU will want to replace him now while good coaches are still available and he has had enough time in my opinion to prove himself.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/2/2011, 01:36 AM
I hereby offer the HC job at UCLA to Mike Gundy RIGHT NOW! mIKE, CALL ME! i'LL SEE TO YOU get whatever you want for compensation for having to leave the OSU program on the eve of your usual season-ending, hope-crushing loss to those nasty, cheatin' gooners!

IndySooner
12/2/2011, 01:38 AM
I'm not sure if this thread is serious or not.......

CowboyMRW
12/2/2011, 01:42 AM
I really think if we fired him it would be a mistake. I think the way we're recruiting and developing talent right now every 2-3 years we should challenge for a BCS bid and hopefully a MNC shot every 4-5. I think he's an excellent CEO and recruiter which IMO is what a HC at a big school should be. I have liked all of his OC hirings as I really think he knows what he's doing on that side of the field.

Obviously defensively I'm not a big fan. Young has done a decent job the last 2 years but I think he struggles with his gameplan at certain times and seems too stubborn to change when things aren't working ala Nebraska last year and KSTATE this year. He does do a good job at teaching how to create turnovers though so I'll give him that.

Honestly though I don't think there are many coaches that I think would be a good fit at OSU right now that are on the block. I think Kirby Smart is getting a HC job somewhere after this year, but I think Saban is the real genius of that defense. Charlie Strong will be leaving Louisville I imagine pretty soon and he's about the only person I could see that we could hire away from someone.

oudavid1
12/2/2011, 01:47 AM
I'm not sure if this thread is serious or not.......

Amazing how to OSU fan got it and even responded to it before you did.

I really think if we fired him it would be a mistake. I think the way we're recruiting and developing talent right now every 2-3 years we should challenge for a BCS bid and hopefully a MNC shot every 4-5. I think he's an excellent CEO and recruiter which IMO is what a HC at a big school should be. I have liked all of his OC hirings as I really think he knows what he's doing on that side of the field.

Obviously defensively I'm not a big fan. Young has done a decent job the last 2 years but I think he struggles with his gameplan at certain times and seems too stubborn to change when things aren't working ala Nebraska last year and KSTATE this year. He does do a good job at teaching how to create turnovers though so I'll give him that.

Honestly though I don't think there are many coaches that I think would be a good fit at OSU right now that are on the block. I think Kirby Smart is getting a HC job somewhere after this year, but I think Saban is the real genius of that defense. Charlie Strong will be leaving Louisville I imagine pretty soon and he's about the only person I could see that we could hire away from someone.

That is a great point, but I think Oklahoma State is in a position to go after someone big with all the momentum if Gundy were to be deemed "not good enough".

CowboyMRW
12/2/2011, 01:51 AM
Amazing how to OSU fan got it and even responded to it before you did.

That is a great point, but I think Oklahoma State is in a position to go after someone big with all the momentum if Gundy were to be deemed "not good enough".

I would think so too, but even if we won 10 games for the next 10 years if we managed to pull a Saban in, then I would only expect him to be here for 3-4 years. We're still a stepping stone school. It's going to take a lot to change that perception too.

Prodigal
12/2/2011, 01:52 AM
Wow.

CowboyMRW
12/2/2011, 01:58 AM
Also David, there is no winning on that site. TBH if you're still able to post in the morning I'll be surprised. They like to ban people quickly to the B&F board if you're an OU fan. Boomer... is about the only OU fan I ever see post on the normal boards.

oudavid1
12/2/2011, 02:01 AM
I would think so too, but even if we won 10 games for the next 10 years if we managed to pull a Saban in, then I would only expect him to be here for 3-4 years. We're still a stepping stone school. It's going to take a lot to change that perception too.

and my point is.....isnt this that time???

Also David, there is no winning on that site. TBH if you're still able to post in the morning I'll be surprised. They like to ban people quickly to the B&F board if you're an OU fan. Boomer... is about the only OU fan I ever see post on the normal boards.

Haha well I appreciate your support over there, I am gonna keep trying. I am bored and love conversing with fans!

yermom
12/2/2011, 02:04 AM
who else is going to come in there and not treat it like a stepping stone job?

IndySooner
12/2/2011, 02:06 AM
I kind of think he was serious.....and the Poke fan is serious, too.......wow.

oudavid1
12/2/2011, 02:21 AM

Im saying that it is, but they have the potential to start something NOW and might want to be focus on national championships. I mean look at Auburn....say what you want about Cam Newton, but they won it and thats never gonna change.

oudavid1
12/2/2011, 02:22 AM
I kind of think he was serious.....and the Poke fan is serious, too.......wow.

Hey hey, your learning!

/Sarcasm

CowboyMRW
12/2/2011, 02:49 AM
I must be a little too drunk and a little too tired then cause I'm not gonna lie I thought David was serious. My apologies:very_drunk:

Got trolled on an OU website when I'm the OSU fan haha

olevetonahill
12/2/2011, 03:13 AM
Dayum David , Just when I see some hope fer ya ya go and pull a NICK:miserable:

Sooner70
12/2/2011, 06:24 AM
I don't know. I'd think it's whoever Boone wants. If Boone is OK with whoever the coach is, then he stays. If Boone isn't OK with whoever the coach is, then their job ain't so stable. Les Miles for instance.

pphilfran
12/2/2011, 06:48 AM
He would have to bang a cheerleader on the sidelines while tooting coke to get fired...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/2/2011, 07:41 AM
When you are a school that has always been ok with mediocrity, stuff like that doesn't matter.

Sooner95
12/2/2011, 08:11 AM
yea, i give this 0% chance of happening.

TUSooner
12/2/2011, 08:21 AM
He would have to bang a cheerleader on the sidelines while tooting coke to get fired...

I think he would have to be caught eating a fried baby. oSu firing him would be almost as dumb as OU firing Stoops. Yeah, it COULD happen, but it just aint likely.

I give the original post a rating of "silly."

SoonerofAlabama
12/2/2011, 08:25 AM
This the same guy who has given them there best two seasons in school history?

sooneron
12/2/2011, 08:41 AM
yea, i give this 0% chance of happening.

What He^ said.

cleller
12/2/2011, 08:44 AM
Gundy is OSU's Bud Wilkinson now. They've had better coaches, but because of Boone's money and the overall talent level in college football now, Gundy is sitting in the catbird seat.

colleyvillesooner
12/2/2011, 08:45 AM
This cannot be a real thread. Not possible.

TUSooner
12/2/2011, 08:50 AM
This cannot be a real thread. Not possible.

The satirical intent was too subtle for me!

PrideTrombone
12/2/2011, 08:53 AM

http://www.iamit.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/never_go_full_retard1.jpg

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/2/2011, 09:36 AM
Maybe oudavid1 read this on the twitters.

colleyvillesooner
12/2/2011, 09:36 AM
http://youtu.be/UnkefjCES-4

Start at 0:45 but stop at 0:56.

sooneredaco
12/2/2011, 09:49 AM
There is a better chance that Bob leaves to take the vacated aTm job than this thread actually having any substance to it

IndySooner
12/2/2011, 09:51 AM
Hey hey, your learning!

/SarcasmNo really, you were serious, right? They should fire Gundy if they lose to OU this weekend. I mean, that sounds like the greatest idea in the world, if you're a complete moron.

OU_Sooners75
12/2/2011, 10:02 AM
Honestly, what expectations does Gundy have to achieve now? He is in the running for the Big 12 and National Championship for the first time in forever.

OSU will not fire Mike Gundy when he loses to OU this year.

Wait a couple of years when his teams go back to 5-7 seasons then he may get fired.

OU_Sooners75
12/2/2011, 10:04 AM
No really, you were serious, right? They should fire Gundy if they lose to OU this weekend. I mean, that sounds like the greatest idea in the world, if you're a complete moron.

Whats with making this personal?

David has an opinion, may not be a sound opinion, but it is his. Only a complete moron will call him a complete moron for his opinion.

starclassic tama
12/2/2011, 10:08 AM
gundy could lose to OU every single year if he wins 9+ games and they will not fire him

IndySooner
12/2/2011, 10:11 AM

David has an opinion, may not be a sound opinion, but it is his. Only a complete moron will call him a complete moron for his opinion.I didn't call him a moron. I said anyone who thought Gundy should be fired after this game is a moron. He never said that he thinks Gundy should be fired. He asked the question. Now, you could argue one way or the other whether that's moronic in and of itself, but I never said that.

OU_Sooners75
12/2/2011, 10:16 AM
I didn't call him a moron. I said anyone who thought Gundy should be fired after this game is a moron. He never said that he thinks Gundy should be fired. He asked the question. Now, you could argue one way or the other whether that's moronic in and of itself, but I never said that.

And you were referring to his sarcasm of the first post when using the phrase.

I am the only one that can razz david and get away with it. He is my bitch! :texan:

yermom
12/2/2011, 10:47 AM

David has an opinion, may not be a sound opinion, but it is his. Only a complete moron will call him a complete moron for his opinion.

crossposting moronic troll threads on here and orangepower is pretty moronic

BillyBall
12/2/2011, 11:10 AM
crossposting moronic troll threads on here and orangepower is pretty moronic

That's just his style...

Lott's Bandana
12/2/2011, 11:16 AM

Mom nails it.

The Booneholder knows this as well.

ouflak
12/2/2011, 11:21 AM
Gundy will be fine no matter what. But he will be a lot better with the die-hard fans if he can win this game. If he loses, their grumbling will not stop until next year's game, and as long as that game is competitive.

ouflak
12/2/2011, 11:22 AM
The only way OSU does not become a stepping stone job is if they win a MNC.

Lott's Bandana
12/2/2011, 11:27 AM
Why are there 2 of these threads?

badger
12/2/2011, 11:31 AM
OSU fans are delusional, but not that delusional.

The poke alums in the office are all wearing bright orange today, yes, but like previous years, like when they were ranked and we were all injured (2009) or when they were at home and favored (2010) or this year when they are once again at home and favored, they are not all "WE GONNA WIN NOW!" or anything.

I think when you're heart's been broken repeatedly, you don't give your heart away as easily in the future. Such is the life of the Poke football fan.

BetterSoonerThanLater
12/2/2011, 12:33 PM
i had biscuits and gravy for breakfast...

8timechamps
12/2/2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks David, I've had a rough week, and needed some levity.

I want to punch David in his throat sometimes, yet I love the kid.

sooner59
12/2/2011, 01:16 PM
OSU firing Gundy after this year would be moronic regardless of what happens tomorrow. There...not so hard.

8timechamps
12/2/2011, 01:19 PM
David, David, David....you never cease to amaze me.

It's been a long week, and I want to thank you for putting a smile on my face today.

Fraggle145
12/2/2011, 02:07 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again "I COULD fly on the space shuttle..."

Mad Dog Madsen
12/2/2011, 02:30 PM
David just told me he starts these kinda threads to get a reaction... He said SoonerFans take the bait everytime. He's actually sitting back laughing his a$$ off right now. Just thought yall should know.

colleyvillesooner
12/2/2011, 02:36 PM
David just told me he starts these kinda threads to get a reaction... He said SoonerFans take the bait everytime. He's actually sitting back laughing his a$$ off right now. Just thought yall should know.

That's what everyone says when a thread they are serious about gets ripped on by every poster. The "I was kidding" defense. Classic.

Tell him we're laughing too. HARD.

SoonerorLater
12/2/2011, 02:51 PM
Re: I think Mike Gundy is coaching for his job Saturday.

What else would he be coaching for?

SoCal
12/2/2011, 04:16 PM
On Thursday afternoon, when the report from Topeka, Kansas surfaced that Mack Brown is going to step down after the Baylor game, it was pretty easy to disregard it as, well, a non-credible rumor from nowhere. On the other hand, though, despite the unbelievable sourcing of the rumor and the possibility that it could have simply come from a rival coach trying to undermine Texas recruiting during an important stretch trying to finish the 2012 class strong, there were some elements about Brown retiring that made sense.

After all, Brown was seemingly close to retirement three years ago when former defensive coordinator Will Muschamp was named the head coach in waiting, a move that ultimately failed to keep Muschamp in Austin when Brown failed to develop a timetable for turning over his program. There's no doubt that Brown has thought long and hard about how much longer he wants to coach at Texas.

After all, despite all the talk about Brown being re-energized during the offseason, some of the losses this season seemed to take just as much of a toll on the head coach as the soul-crushing 2010 debacle. During press conferences, especially after games against Missouri and Kansas State, the spark seemed gone from his eyes and mannerisms. He started to look every bit of his 60 years again. Perhaps even older, with how this job has aged him.

The uncertainty of the quarterback position is also surely weighing on Brown, as neither David Ash nor Case McCoy look like long-term solutions at the position. With more development, it's possible that Ash could be a solid starter, but he regressed during his last two starts and this is not particularly the forum to start another discussion about McCoy that will only lead to the same place every other discussion about McCoy has gone recently.

Forecasting the quarterback landscape moving forward, there's nothing to give Brown a great deal of hope that the Longhorns will have a player on campus by 2013 or 2014 who can lead Texas back to the mountaintop. And that has to be extraordinarily discouraging for a coach who received good to great quarterback play throughout his entire tenure at Texas leading up to Colt McCoy's departure.

Add in the pressure on Brown's time that the Longhorn Network has added and it's easy to see why the coach might feel like he's been stretched a little bit thin. Early in the season, Brown noted the the fledgling network was like another full-time job.

Though developed a little further in this post, those were all issues that were all mentioned in the post from Thursday (except for the Longhorn Network. The impetus for furthering this discussion, however, came from the long-rumored report from the Big Cigar that helped add momentum to talk about Brown retiring on Thursday.

It appears that the perception that Brown has lost some of the energy that galvanized both he and the program during the offseason has in fact dissipated:

Privately Mack has told people that he’s exhausted and doesn’t feel like he has the energy to right the ship sometimes. He’s shared exactly that with a couple of high level contributors and a former assistant that does broadcasting. People inside the program have verified that Mack works in fits and starts for the most part this season. He has his good weeks where he’s ultra engaged and then other weeks he’s more hands off and withdrawn. The losses vs. OU and OSU were really bad in terms of being distant and withdrawn, but then he had the rug pulled out from under vs. Mizzou and KSU after rolling KU and Tech. The valleys are too low and the mountains are too high it seems.

According to the high-level source, that fact is not something that has been lost on the administration:

The powers that be, Bill Powers, Deloss, IMG, and some influential boosters have asked that they sit down with Mack at the end of the season and talk about an ETA on winning big again and then an exit strategy. They’re going to ask when Mack will win again and then ask about a time horizon. If we want the LHN to take hold which will lead to a favorable realignment scenario the program has to get back to the big stage.

While that might seem to indicate that Brown is much closer to retirement than anyone on the outside looking in might have realized, an important aspect of Brown's personality to remember is that he often operates at his highest levels when he gets knocked out of the complacent ruts in which he sometimes finds himself, although that might not even be enough this time:

Based on what I’ve heard, Mack will probably tell the Powers-that-be the truth, which is that he’s tired and he doesn’t have a near term solution at QB. But my guess is that he’s torn between the three year pact he made with the young coaching pups and his own dwindling energy level. In fact, I think if he loses one of Harsin or Diaz this season, he’s gone because he doesn’t want to go through this again. If not, I see him staying through 2012 to see what that season will yield in terms of a glimpse at the future—if he can find the energy.

The Big Cigar closes the report with talk about the factors that could lead to a sped up timetable for Brown stepping down -- losing the coach who the source feels like has been hand-picked to replace Brown in Boise State head man Chris Petersen to a program like UCLA, or coordinators Manny Diaz and/or Bryan Harsin leaving, as mentioned briefly above.

It certainly adds some moving pieces to the whole equation. One of them may have fallen into place for Brown to stick around for a while longer with a Friday report that Petersen has removed his name from consideration for the UCLA job. That keeps one domino in place. It's too early to speculate with any great accuracy about what will happen with Diaz. His name hasn't been connected much with the Ole Miss opening in recent days, but the most likely scenario for him leaving still seems to be one in which Dan Mullen takes the Penn State job and Diaz would return to Starksville as the head coach. As for Harsin, at the moment it does not appear that he is a major candidate at any position currently open.

It sounds like a lot could be determined when Brown sits down with those powers that be at Texas and lets them know how he's feeling about the future. After putting it all into perspective, from this vantage point the Mack Brown era looks like it may have a much shorter expiration date than it did even less than 24 hours ago.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2011/12/2/2606117/why-mack-brown-really-might-retire-soon

Mad Dog Madsen
12/2/2011, 04:32 PM
That's what everyone says when a thread they are serious about gets ripped on by every poster. The "I was kidding" defense. Classic.

Tell him we're laughing too. HARD.

Well, I told him... Now, he's crying on my shoulder! Thanks a f'n lot colleyville!!! :mad:

IndySooner
12/2/2011, 04:41 PM
David just told me he starts these kinda threads to get a reaction... He said SoonerFans take the bait everytime. He's actually sitting back laughing his a$$ off right now. Just thought yall should know.Right......Notice the first couple of interactions he had, then he disappeared. Don't buy it for a second.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/2/2011, 04:53 PM
Right......Notice the first couple of interactions he had, then he disappeared. Don't buy it for a second.

I'm just telling you what he said ma'am. That is all.

sitzpinkler
12/2/2011, 04:59 PM
Not enough grammatical errors.

Makes me doubt the authenticity.

I'd be willing to bet he copy and pasted this from Twitter or Facebook.

En_Fuego
12/2/2011, 05:07 PM
I think Mike Gundy is safe. I think Mike Gundy is a great fit for OSU. I think Mike Gundy & Co. had a spectacular year.

Now, with all of that being said.............BOOMER SOONER

They will always be the sheephumpers of the north.

MamaMia
12/2/2011, 09:31 PM
oSu has only lost one game all season and you seriously think Gundys job is in jeopardy tomorrow? WRONG! :rolleyes:

mdklatt
12/2/2011, 09:40 PM
OSU fans are delusional, but not that delusional.

Objection. Facts not in evidence.

StoopTroup
12/2/2011, 10:13 PM

Exactly. I'm surprised there isn't a Statue of Gumby already.

StoopTroup
12/2/2011, 10:40 PM
However.....if they fire Gumby after the beat down tomorrow....

Rick Neuheisel for Head Coach of the Cowboys! :D

colleyvillesooner
12/2/2011, 10:58 PM
Right......Notice the first couple of interactions he had, then he disappeared. Don't buy it for a second.

I'm just telling you what he said ma'am. That is all.

But did he tweet it? That's the key.

IBleedCrimson
12/3/2011, 12:10 AM
But I think...

To quote the gangsta guy from the movie Snatch who feeds dead bodies to pigs.. "What have I told you about thinking?"

hornswaggled
12/3/2011, 12:25 AM
On Thursday afternoon, when the report from Topeka, Kansas surfaced that Mack Brown is going to step down after the Baylor game, blah blah blah

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2011/12/2/2606117/why-mack-brown-really-might-retire-soon

What does that have to do with gundy. Texas sucks.

Rocko
12/3/2011, 12:30 AM
David Leake follows the Skip Bayless model: state outrageous opinions, that not even he truly believes, and get reactions out of others.

jkjsooner
12/3/2011, 10:39 AM

If so, that's a real a-hole move. It doesn't take creativity or imagination to post something stupid and laugh at those who respond to it.

It reminds me of the guy who used to just make up crazy crap to tell people. He'd say stuff like, "Did you hear that Landry Jones tore his ACL?" Then he would say "just kidding" and think he was some type of comedian. Same type of thing here.

So either David is a-hole or a dumb arse.

yermom
12/3/2011, 10:42 AM
David Leake follows the Skip Bayless model: state outrageous opinions, that not even he truly believes, and get reactions out of others.

this is what i'm thinking. it's not the next Bob Stoops that is out there tweeting his "source's" latest inside info trying to scoop people or trying to troll message boards, it's the next Skip Bayless

soonercoop1
12/3/2011, 10:44 AM
Very doubtful since he has OSU football with the best 4-5 years they have ever had....if OSU beats OU tonight they will have won 1 more conference game than OU has over the last 4 seasons...OSU has also out-ranked OU in the last 3 bedlam games...not sure how all that gets Gundy coaching for his job...they would have to be pretty stupid...

delhalew
12/3/2011, 11:20 AM
i had biscuits and gravy for breakfast...

Me too! I have mastered the art of the buttermilk biscuit and sausage gravy.

ouwasp
12/3/2011, 01:32 PM

Good stuff here. What other scenarios might there be to cause Mike the Man to be tossed?

oudavid1
12/4/2011, 02:47 PM
To quote the gangsta guy from the movie Snatch who feeds dead bodies to pigs.. "What have I told you about thinking?"

havent seen the movie, but I think i feel you on this one.