PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sherman To Be Fired By Texas A&M, According To Report

Okie35
12/1/2011, 07:52 PM
Mike Sherman will be fired as Texas A&M head coach, according to a report on Thursday afternoon. Sherman doesn't know it, and is out recruiting, but the decision to part ways has been made. He has not been told of the decision, however, which could create for an awkward meeting at some point -- either with university officials or recruits learning of the news as he is.

The news comes from Kirk Bohls, who cites a source close to the decision. Let's all remember that Sherman is on the road, and may be learning of this news the same way we are. Fun!

Texas A&M has decided to fire football Mike Sherman but has not yet notified him, a prominent Aggie source just told me.

Oh, and there's this whole thing about the extension, too.

A&M would owe Mike Sherman between $3M-$5M because he didn't sign his extension contract, the Aggie source says.

Sherman did meet with at least one regent on Thursday, but chose to leave College Station after to continue to recruit, according to multiple reports. However, it now appears his time as head coach of the Aggies may be coming to an end.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/12/1/2604251/mike-sherman-fired-texas-am-football

Sooner5030
12/1/2011, 08:19 PM
wow....$3-5 million on top of exit fees being withheld from revenues?

no one has a $10-15 million cushion available in their near term budgets. They've already appropriated and encumbered some of those future expenditures.

time to borrow money again....I guess

JLEW1818
12/1/2011, 08:22 PM
Kevin Sumlin book it.

CowboyMRW
12/1/2011, 08:26 PM
Texags is completely shut down for me right now.

I don't think it'll be Sumlin though.

8timechamps
12/1/2011, 08:27 PM
Kevin Sumlin book it.

If they can land KS, they may actually be a decent team in time.

JLEW1818
12/1/2011, 08:27 PM
LOL TEXAGS HAS CRASHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8timechamps
12/1/2011, 08:28 PM
Texags is completely shut down for me right now.

I don't think it'll be Sumlin though.

He's the rumored frontrunner...although, Arizona State is rumored to be after him too. He's probably the hottest commodity for programs looking to hire a new HC.

sooneredaco
12/1/2011, 09:52 PM
It's official.

Stoops to aTm!!!!!!!

OhU1
12/1/2011, 09:59 PM
Texas A&M has melted down this year in every conceivable way. They blow 2 games against top 5 teams, bolt to the SEC in a huff (where they will turn into Ole Miss or Kentucky), they crap the bed and lose to their most hated rival on Thanksgiving, and they fire the coach that was supposed to bring them to the top. The hell with them. I've always kind of like A&M but they can suck it just like Missouri and Colorado.

Herr Scholz
12/1/2011, 10:14 PM
Ha ha.

sooneron
12/1/2011, 10:14 PM
This ^

Jason Alexander
12/1/2011, 10:22 PM
Sumlin will go to aTm after Sherman is canned.

delhalew
12/2/2011, 12:34 AM
They change coaches like underwear.

Soonerus
12/2/2011, 12:36 AM
Dumb...

47straight
12/2/2011, 01:05 AM
Ha ha. Shouldn't you be posting about how Ronnell Lewis is a thug for getting injured on the field?

rainiersooner
12/2/2011, 01:08 AM
They deserve to implode. They are my least favorite team in the Big XII or whatever.

soonerlaw
12/2/2011, 12:31 PM
Rumor is that Sherman found out when Matt Davis’ mom (their 4* QB recruit who is supposed to be enrolling next month at Aggie) informed Sherman he was fired.

Jmorales22
12/2/2011, 05:01 PM
Funny. If they had been in the SEC this year they probably would be 9-3 and he would still have a job....

badger
12/2/2011, 05:18 PM
The Big 12 needs to stand firm on having Texas A&M pay its full buyout to get outta our conference. The Nebraska and Colorado situation was different last year - we wanted them gone at the same time and waived the extra amount to make sure it happened.

Texas A&M has no such claim this time around.

Excuse: The Longhorn Network created an unfair balance of revenues in the Big 12

Texas A&M created it themselves by being the only team to accept charity from the Forgotten Five (Mizzou, Baylor, ISU, KSU and KU) after the conference reallignment talks of 2010. UT and OU declined.

Excuse: The conference was falling apart anyway.

Texas A&M started it by flirting with the SEC. Without this move, the Big 12 stands firm at 10 with a new, good secondary TV contract and negotiations for first tier just around the corner.

Those are the two excuses that will be dropped and they are feeble excuses. We need to withhold the FULL amount and NOT negotiate this down. They wanted to go to a place to get more money? Fine, but pay what you agreed to pay the Big 12 on your way out.

Herr Scholz
12/2/2011, 05:39 PM
$8.8M in Sherm's buyout and $28M in exit fees. The aggies are broke again. :very_drunk:

badger
12/2/2011, 06:02 PM
$8.8M in Sherm's buyout and $28M in exit fees. The aggies are broke again. :very_drunk:

Common ground for whorns and Sooners: Screwing the Aggies en route to the SEC. Thank you for embarrassing them on national TV and please, don't schedule another game with them as long as you can.

Herr Scholz
12/2/2011, 07:06 PM
That win was pretty sweet, especially after they took the lead with under 2 minutes. Couldn't have been scripted any better for an aggie heartbreaker.

I hope we never play them in anything ever again. And I really hope there's no relief for them on the exit fees.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/2/2011, 07:34 PM
Rumor is that Sherman found out when Matt Davis’ mom (their 4* QB recruit who is supposed to be enrolling next month at Aggie) informed Sherman he was fired.
He was in the driveway when he got a call from the aggie prez to fire him.

Low class

Gives new life to the "Slocum on the cell" bit they did on the radio here.

Aggies suck excrement - they have sucked since they fired Slocum.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/2/2011, 07:36 PM
The prez had been sitting on Sherman's contract extension and had not signed it.

agoo758
12/2/2011, 07:46 PM
The prez had been sitting on Sherman's contract extension and had not signed it.

Hmmm.... Sherman signed it and aggy didn't.

Hello court!

jkjsooner
12/2/2011, 08:49 PM

It sounds to me like the rules of offer and acceptance were met - unless the person offering the contract was not authorized to do so or the offer was revoked prior to Sherman signing it.

I'm sure the attorneys on here will correct me if I'm wrong. I don't pretend to be a lawyer and didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn last night but it seems to me that aTm will have to pay.

badger
12/2/2011, 08:56 PM
Wouldn't they owe him more if the ags didn't sign? I heard that his initial contract had no buyout in it.

Soonerfan88
12/3/2011, 12:20 AM
Hmmm.... Sherman signed it and aggy didn't.

Hello court!

I'm sure aTm will use sovereign immunity just like Tech. I honestly don't understand why anyone would sign a contract with any State of Texas entity since they don't have to honor it.