PDA

View Full Version : Discrimination?

rainiersooner
12/1/2011, 02:21 PM
Maybe she shouldn't feed her kid fast food in the first place and his stomach wouldn't be all messed up.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-mother-says-muskogee-pizza-hut-discriminated-against-son/article/3627995

olevetonahill
12/1/2011, 02:28 PM
Stupid on both sides
Why in hell would you take a kid into a place that they cant eat anyway
Shoulda all just ate at McPuke

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/1/2011, 02:47 PM
Doesn't Pizza Hut have salad and grilled chicken?

Mississippi Sooner
12/1/2011, 02:47 PM
Celiac disease sucks. I just found out I have it last year. After doing a little research, I found out it's one of the fastest growing health problems in the country. Some of the researchers say it's probably because, in the last couple of decades, genetic manipulation has produced a form of super gluten in our grains. The body doesn't actually digest gluten. It just goes to the bottom of the stomach and waits to be expelled. The thinking seems to be that this heartier form of gluten causes more to be built up in the digestive system, and that is what is causing the increase in gluten allergies. Hell if I know.

The only real inconvenience it's caused me is that I can't drink more than a beer or two anymore without getting a bad case of the runs. This allergy has forced me to drink more whiskey. Dammit.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/1/2011, 02:49 PM
If you or your child has a food allergy, the best thing would be to pack a lunch or just not go to a place where you know they can't eat off the menu.

olevetonahill
12/1/2011, 02:57 PM
If you or your child has a food allergy, the best thing would be to pack a lunch or just not go to a place where you know they can't eat off the menu.

Yup
Woinder would she Bitch at Pizza hut if her kid grab someones pizza and took a bite and then got sick?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/1/2011, 03:02 PM
I really don't think a restaurant would have a problem with someone bringing in a sack lunch for their child. If they were jerks about it, that's totally different.

yermom
12/1/2011, 03:15 PM
i don't see how anyone can really defend Pizza Hut. that's ridiculous. it's not like it was just her and the kid. they were on some field trip. it's not like they are complaining about the fact that Pizza Hut wasn't serving him gluten-free pizza. what's the difference between a sack lunch and a burger from McD's?

it really is strange how i didn't know anyone with Celiac disease as a kid, but i keep hearing about it now. i'm sure GMO food and rGBH cows, etc... aren't helping

Mississippi Sooner
12/1/2011, 03:16 PM
i don't see how anyone can really defend Pizza Hut. that's ridiculous. it's not like it was just her and the kid. they were on some field trip. it's not like they are complaining about the fact that Pizza Hut wasn't serving him gluten-free pizza

it really is strange how i didn't know anyone with Celiac disease as a kid, but i keep hearing about it now. i'm sure GMO food and rGBH cows, etc... aren't helping

Hell, I had never even heard of it until I was diagnosed with it. Now it seems like the trendy thing and everyone is getting it.

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2011, 03:21 PM
The Muskogee Pizza Hut sucks major major ***. Every damned time I order from there they either screw up my order or, as is often the case, they didn't even put my damned order in! I HATE HATE HATE the Muskogee Pizza Hut. I don't even like Pizza Hut and yet I order from the dump.

Now, I do like Mazzio's. The one over on 69 sucks, but the one on Shawnee is pretty decent. The problem with the one on Shawnee is that for whatever reason they only hire these sniveling idiotic teenage HS girls who are dumber than a sack of rocks. Really and truly dumb. Dumb on a truly epic scale.

Anyway....what the hell is this thread about again?

cleller
12/1/2011, 03:36 PM
Great way to attract business, and boost your income. Guess they never heard the one about attracting more bees with honey than vinegar, or whatever.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/1/2011, 03:44 PM
i don't see how anyone can really defend Pizza Hut. that's ridiculous. it's not like it was just her and the kid. they were on some field trip. it's not like they are complaining about the fact that Pizza Hut wasn't serving him gluten-free pizza. what's the difference between a sack lunch and a burger from McD's?

it really is strange how i didn't know anyone with Celiac disease as a kid, but i keep hearing about it now. i'm sure GMO food and rGBH cows, etc... aren't helpingI'm not defending PH. It sounds like they acted harshly. It didn't really hurt anything for the kid to eat his Happy Meal. I just don't think I would choose to take my child to a place where they were allergic to the food.

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2011, 03:45 PM
I'm not defending PH. It sounds like they acted harshly. It didn't really hurt anything for the kid to eat his Happy Meal. I just don't think I would choose to take my child to a place where they were allergic to the food.
+1

StoopTroup
12/1/2011, 03:51 PM
I hope she wins. That was really stupid by Pizza Hut. Everyone knows that folks who eat at McDonalds probably eat at Pizza Hut too. If you showed up everyday with your brown bag lunch and a Pizza Hut cup that was 3 weeks old so you could get refills....I can see the point. Let the gal's kid eat. Especially after she explained what was going on. It's just silly. There are so many places that there are Pizza Huts that share space with other Restaurants all over the world. Just completely unnecessary to treat that Gal and her kid that way.

nativesooner
12/1/2011, 03:58 PM
Couldn't they just ask her to remove any McDonald's packaging? I'm sure that's part of the issue, free advertising for a competitor. It's not like anyone was going to order a pizza and say "hey, I saw that Big Mac box the kid had so cancel my order, I'm headin to McDonalds!" I don't know if it could be considered "discrimination" though. It sounds like the locals just wanted to be pricks about it. Most Pizza Huts I've been in SUCK in customer service. Mom probably should have just did carry out.

SoonerTerry
12/1/2011, 03:59 PM
Just more CYOA on the part of the manager.

SoonerTerry
12/1/2011, 04:03 PM
It sounds like the locals just wanted to be pricks about it. Most Pizza Huts I've been in SUCK in customer service. Mom probably should have just did carry out.

I disagree, The Mom isn't sueing. She is just trying to help her kid out down the road. Like when 10 years later all his HS friends want to go to PH he can bring in his food and still hang with his friends.

SicEmBaylor
12/1/2011, 04:09 PM
I hope she wins. That was really stupid by Pizza Hut. Everyone knows that folks who eat at McDonalds probably eat at Pizza Hut too. If you showed up everyday with your brown bag lunch and a Pizza Hut cup that was 3 weeks old so you could get refills....I can see the point. Let the gal's kid eat. Especially after she explained what was going on. It's just silly. There are so many places that there are Pizza Huts that share space with other Restaurants all over the world. Just completely unnecessary to treat that Gal and her kid that way.
You hope she wins? If she were to sue then I certainly hope her case is thrown out without even seeing the light of day in a court room.

The actions of both Pizza Hut and the mother are supremely stupid. It was stupid of her to take a kid into Pizza Hut with celiac disease and it was heavy handed and invited bad publicity on the part of Pizza Hut by kicking her out. HOWEVER, this is a public relations issue not a legal one.

I'm a strong believer in property rights. A business ought to have the right to discriminate based on whatever the hell it wants. It's their business and their property! If they wanted to kick a woman out for having only a B-Cup instead of a full C then that ought to be their business. The public relations side of things should take care of those issues.

But a legal remedy? Christ-o, I hate what this country has become.

Sooner Mommy
12/1/2011, 04:11 PM
I'm not defending PH. It sounds like they acted harshly. It didn't really hurt anything for the kid to eat his Happy Meal. I just don't think I would choose to take my child to a place where they were allergic to the food.

This. One of my daughters has a severe food allergy, and we simply don't go to places where she can't eat the food.

Did the Pizza Hut employees act a little inappropriately? Maybe. But it sounds to me like the mother chose this battle. I've always thought it's a little tacky to take food from one establishment to another, regardless of the reason.

Viking Kitten
12/1/2011, 04:18 PM
Stupid on both sides
Why in hell would you take a kid into a place that they cant eat anyway
Shoulda all just ate at McPuke

Exactly. Now Pizza Hut has created an avoidable PR problem for themselves. The mother is still a complete moron, but the restaurant ultimately comes out the loser, even if they are technically within their rights.

But to call this discrimination is total affront to people who actually get discriminated against. It's not like they asked the kid to leave the premises.

yermom
12/1/2011, 04:24 PM
they didn't?

kbsooner21
12/1/2011, 04:32 PM
I'm really not sure how to explain this, but I'll try.

I've seen a few places not allow outside food in for the purpose of if the outside food is contaminated, they don't want their food they are serving to be in question. It has nothing to do with it being McDonald's etc, just a legality I believe. That is why you see the no outside food or beverage sign on so many restaurants. Most ignore it, but I can see why they don't too.

Viking Kitten
12/1/2011, 04:44 PM
they didn't?

"Get out. We don't serve your kind, you little diseased freak."

vs.

"Ma'am, you'll have to 86 the McDonalds. We don't allow outside food."

Two completely different things.

bluewcc
12/2/2011, 05:07 PM
The only real inconvenience it's caused me is that I can't drink more than a beer or two anymore without getting a bad case of the runs. This allergy has forced me to drink more whiskey. Dammit.

I think some companies make gluten-free beer.

Viking Kitten
12/2/2011, 05:13 PM
Now that's what I call a reasonable accommodation!

MountainOkie
12/2/2011, 05:20 PM
Pizza Hut: Would it kill you to ignore the corporate cya bull-hockey and let the toddler eat outside food?

Mother: Can you not just let these 30 minutes of inconvience go?

Can we not try to be a little more decent with each other? It makes everything so much easier for everyone involved.

SicEmBaylor
12/2/2011, 05:36 PM
There's a micro-brewery in MS that makes gluten-free beer. I picked it up at the Kroger one day. It was alright, but I don't intend to drink it again. Wish I could remember the name...

SicEmBaylor
12/2/2011, 05:43 PM
I'd like to also point out, again, that the mother is largely to blame. It didn't register at first that this woman is a homeschool teacher/sponsor/mother/wtfe. These people are horrid. I absolutely 100% understand wanting to keep the government indocrination of their children at a minimum, but these parents and the kids are often just flat out weird.

I used to teach special swim lessons to just the homeschool crowd; the kids were weird and the parents annoying. I had the radio going over the PA system one day (I think it was 106.1), and some bubble gum pop song from the 1950s was on. I think it was Mr. Sandman....anyway, the mother that was head of the homeschool association demanded that I turn the music off because it was a "corrupting" influence.

She would also bitch about the water temperature EVERY damned day. I explained to her countless times that the water temperature has to be kept low for the swim team because we get top priority at the pool, but she wanted it turned up to 95 which is insane and clearly indicated she had no concept of appropriate water temperatures.

I HATE that woman. It may be the same woman for all I know.

GottaHavePride
12/3/2011, 09:09 AM

Yeah, you just have to make it out of sorghum / rice / spelt / etc. instead of barley. It doesn't taste quite like regular beer, but it's out there.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/3/2011, 09:47 AM
McNellie's has a variety of gluten free beers. I ordered one once and it was pretty damn tasty. Eidelweiss.

Caboose
12/3/2011, 09:56 PM
they didn't?

Pretty crappy attitude... but this was not discrimination. Ironically, it would have been discrimination if Pizza Hut had let the kid stay. IE, treating the kid differently than everyone else due to his disability is discrimination.

OrlandoSooner
12/4/2011, 08:25 AM
I'd like to also point out, again, that the mother is largely to blame. It didn't register at first that this woman is a homeschool teacher/sponsor/mother/wtfe. These people are horrid. I absolutely 100% understand wanting to keep the government indocrination of their children at a minimum, but these parents and the kids are often just flat out weird.

I used to teach special swim lessons to just the homeschool crowd; the kids were weird and the parents annoying. I had the radio going over the PA system one day (I think it was 106.1), and some bubble gum pop song from the 1950s was on. I think it was Mr. Sandman....anyway, the mother that was head of the homeschool association demanded that I turn the music off because it was a "corrupting" influence.

She would also bitch about the water temperature EVERY damned day. I explained to her countless times that the water temperature has to be kept low for the swim team because we get top priority at the pool, but she wanted it turned up to 95 which is insane and clearly indicated she had no concept of appropriate water temperatures.

I HATE that woman. It may be the same woman for all I know.

Rock on!

I also like to judge entire groups of people based on the actions of one( or a few)...