PDA

View Full Version : Had John Bonham lived, would Led Zeppelin still be around?

cleller
11/30/2011, 03:52 PM
I was more than a little bummed when Bonzo died my freshman year at OU. In Through The Out Door wasn't the greatest Zep album of the bunch, and the wait was too long, but I always thought there would always be more. I think Page was a little burned out, but JP Jones was picking up the slack.

I'm sure Bonzo would keep buying race cars at a pace that every few years he would threaten to bash Page and Plants skulls if they did not get it the studio. They were masters at keeping their profile just low enough you were always wanting more.

Hoping the London shows of 2007 are really going to be on dvd. The clips on Youtube are great.

Lott's Bandana
11/30/2011, 03:55 PM
When the rest of the band stated that he was the core of all they did, I found that comment intriguing enough so that from that point on, I listened to Zep an entirely different way.

They were right.

8timechamps
11/30/2011, 03:57 PM
No doubt. I think they would have toured again (ala The Eagles). I would have bought tickets. Remember when Page and Plant got together in the mid 90's (for a very brief moment), THAT'S what I think Zepp would have been like.

cleller
11/30/2011, 04:00 PM
No doubt. I think they would have toured again (ala The Eagles). I would have bought tickets. Remember when Page and Plant got together in the mid 90's (for a very brief moment), THAT'S what I think Zepp would have been like.

I thought the Page/Plant stuff was pretty good, but fell short of Zeppelin. Though they were more in the background, I think Jones and Bonzo had a lot of influence. Neither a shrinking violet.

8timechamps
11/30/2011, 04:08 PM
I thought the Page/Plant stuff was pretty good, but fell short of Zeppelin. Though they were more in the background, I think Jones and Bonzo had a lot of influence. Neither a shrinking violet.

It did fall short of Zeppelin, but I think that's only because Zepp was a once in a lifetime kind of band. Plant/Page had a Zeppelin feel going on, and while it was good stuff, it really just reminded me more of Zeppelin than anything.

Jammin'
11/30/2011, 04:19 PM
It's crazy to think about. Would they have hit a wall at some point? probably. But I assume if they could have kept it together they would have had a career like Dylan or the Stones. More albums, sometimes years apart. Some times great, some not so good but with a pearl here or there. They had started going that way already at the end.

I tend to believe he died to keep LZ forever immortal. I know that's not accurate, but hey, it's my belief not yours. ha. Sorta like Jimi's death. He is a legend. If was still alive today he'd probably be treated like Dylan. Some would think he sucks and was washed up because he went in weird(er) directions. Others (like me) would continue to follow every album/song/tour happy to see what a true genius was doing at 70.

Lott's Bandana
11/30/2011, 04:27 PM

Rilly, rilly like that version of Kashmir with the orchestra and the Indian (or perhaps Paki?) accompaniment.

I think if they stuck to their blues roots, they would have remained successful. The blues are timeless and their arrangements of classic blues riffs were heroic.

Peach Fuzz
11/30/2011, 04:51 PM
Rilly, rilly like that version of Kashmir with the orchestra and the Indian (or perhaps Paki?) accompaniment.

I think if they stuck to their blues roots, they would have remained successful. The blues are timeless and their arrangements of classic blues riffs were heroic.

Yes, that was epic! Kashmir was put on by natives from India-Paki regions of Kasmir-Jammu. Great song

pphilfran
11/30/2011, 07:21 PM
double post

pphilfran
11/30/2011, 07:22 PM

This one?

DO1Bh7rZrog

Lott's Bandana
11/30/2011, 07:50 PM
Zackly.

Unlike The Who (whom I basically worship), these guys were clever enough to not come out with Zep Lite, but changed their sound significantly by adding accoutrement like this video so well shows.

hawaii 5-0
11/30/2011, 09:59 PM
They were a blues band.

The blues has been around a lot longer than Zep.

They would have still been playin' the blues.

Now Jimi, that cat was evolving as he died. No telling where he'd be now.

BTW, I don't usually listen to the drummer...........till Bonzo came along.

5-0

delhalew
11/30/2011, 10:43 PM
Plant claims he wouldn't want to. That may be true, but another truth is that he can no longer physically sing those songs. It happens. Some peoples voices last a lifetime, some don't.

cleller
11/30/2011, 11:36 PM
Zackly.

Unlike The Who (whom I basically worship), these guys were clever enough to not come out with Zep Lite, but changed their sound significantly by adding accoutrement like this video so well shows.

Can you imagine getting Roger Daltrey and Bonzo involved in the same barroom brawl?

Thought the "Yallah" thing was interesting also. They know how to stage an event.

http://youtu.be/QJzjHrJqOcw

I apparently cannot embed youtube properly.

Lott's Bandana
12/1/2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks for that awesome link. Now I have spent the evening enjoying the other related vids from Marrakesh.

Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q20I71ITpP4

Jacie
12/3/2011, 10:34 AM
Plant claims he wouldn't want to. That may be true, but another truth is that he can no longer physically sing those songs. It happens. Some peoples voices last a lifetime, some don't.

Through the wonders of digital voice over, yes.

delhalew
12/3/2011, 11:00 AM
Through the wonders of digital voice over, yes.

A trained music lover can spot that.

C&CDean
12/3/2011, 04:22 PM
Some other directions that Robert the Plant has taken. Allison Krause is kinda hot, no?

Cq6YqJBHHIc&feature=related

C&CDean
12/3/2011, 04:37 PM
I don't like chick bands, but this is a pretty decent cover:

wShmbjqP3WU&feature=related

En_Fuego
12/5/2011, 02:14 AM
That Heart version sounded excellent. I haven't heard that before.

Lott's Bandana
12/5/2011, 02:33 AM
I don't like chick bands, but this is a pretty decent cover:

wShmbjqP3WU&feature=related

Thems Wilson sisters from Seattle are very talented, know how to rock and have been smart enough to have had excellent lead guitars and supporting male band members behind them.

I've wanted to be behind Ann for many years now. Close behind.

hawaii 5-0
12/5/2011, 10:33 AM
Their song 'Love Alive'[ is very Zep-esque. No surprise they cover some Zep tunes.

5-0