View Full Version : Mike Leach to Washington State

oudavid1
11/30/2011, 01:42 PM
Rumors on twitter, came from Joe Shad.

Would link, twitpic rule prevents it.

IndySooner
11/30/2011, 01:44 PM
Rumors on twitter, came from Joe Shad.

Would link, twitpic rule prevents it.ESPN will kill it. And no, I'm not kidding.

oudavid1
11/30/2011, 01:45 PM
ESPN will kill it. And no, I'm not kidding.

That could not end will for ESPN could it?
It would make them look bad.

IBleedCrimson
11/30/2011, 01:50 PM
That could not end will for ESPN could it?
It would make them look bad.

LOL! Well, if it makes espn look bad, then they can't possibly do it.

badger
11/30/2011, 01:51 PM
I have heard this also, that Leach is on the short list.

Eff the lawsuit. Wazzu has tasted greatness in the last decade in both football and mens basketball and are itching for relevancy again, especially in this new era of Pac 12-ness.

While Wazzu had its last championship football coach run off from Bammer in shame ("Oh, it's rolling, baby!") and its last "deep" tourney run mens basketball coach go off to the almighty ACC (Viriginia), they have to hold out hope that somehow, someway, they will find another Mike Price or Tony Bennett.

They also have to move quickly, because while they're falling back into mediocrity, their nearby rivals are doing a lot for their major sports to keep them grounded into eternity if they don't make up some ground quickly. Oregon has done tons of things for their football/basketball programs with Nike money lately. Washington is upgrading their stadium (or has already, not sure). Oregon State... well, they were relevant more recently than Wazzu in football (Cue image of USC's Mark Sanchez angrily throwing his mouth guard as a trainer dutifully retrieves it).

So again, screw the lawsuit, hire Mike Leach. If Wazzu doesn't do something to become a player now, they're gonna be in 12th place for a loooooong time.

sooner_born_1960
11/30/2011, 01:52 PM
What is a twitpic rule?

goingoneight
11/30/2011, 01:52 PM
Pirates and Cougars? Sounds like a bad sitcom.

SoonerPride
11/30/2011, 01:54 PM
What is a twitpic rule?

I weep for the English language that "twitpic" is now a part of it.

sooner_born_1960
11/30/2011, 01:56 PM
I weep for the English language that "twitpic" is now a part of it.
Thanks for the help, there.

IndySooner
11/30/2011, 01:59 PM
ESPN killed the OU/OSU move to the Pac, they will kill the Leach hire at Wazzu (the same way they did at Maryland last year).

I'm telling you guys, Leach is blackballed and anyone that hires him goes on the ESPN "bad list", which people are VERY scared of for some reason.

badger
11/30/2011, 02:06 PM
ESPN killed the OU/OSU move to the Pac, they will kill the Leach hire at Wazzu (the same way they did at Maryland last year).

I'm telling you guys, Leach is blackballed and anyone that hires him goes on the ESPN "bad list", which people are VERY scared of for some reason.

What are they gonna do --- ban the WSU flag from ESPN College Gameday?!

Wazzu already sucks. Anything ESPN could do to them wouldn't exactly put them any lower on the totem pole. Oh noes! You mean you won't broadcast our bowl game?! OH WAIT! We're not going to one. Again. Gawd, I bet them miss losing to us in the Rose Bowl (and beating Texas in the Holiday Bowl)

OULenexaman
11/30/2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the help, there. no ****.....I'm with ya......SO WHAT IN THE **** IS A TWITPIC!!!!

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/30/2011, 02:19 PM
david used to post pictures of his tweets. it became ridiculous and people got tired of him posting his tweets--since he used them to look important-- myself included. he no longer posts pics of his tweets (twitpics) because of this de facto "rule"

at least this is my take on it! :biggrin:

Sooner Brewcrew
11/30/2011, 02:23 PM
I think Mike Leach would be a good fit there. He's a good coach.

yermom
11/30/2011, 02:27 PM
twitpic is a website.

Posting a pic of your tweet is not the same as posting a link...

Breadburner
11/30/2011, 02:29 PM
OP is a twitpic....

StoopTroup
11/30/2011, 02:35 PM
My Twitpic is completely shaved.

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/30/2011, 02:37 PM
twitpic is a website.

Posting a pic of your tweet is not the same as posting a link...

guess i should have put a sarcasm emoticon....i went back and fixed it. ;)

The Maestro
11/30/2011, 02:56 PM
If Leach truly is running from ESPN he'd be glad to get any job.

If he's not, this would be a lousy job to take. MUCH better gigs open if he is available and folks aren't running from him.

OULenexaman
11/30/2011, 02:58 PM
My Twitpic is completely shaved. electric or straight blade?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/30/2011, 03:12 PM
My twitpic brings all the boys to the yard...

IndySooner
11/30/2011, 03:50 PM
Looks like ESPN either didn't try to block it this time around or lost. Good for Mike Leach! Gonna miss him on the radio, though.

badger
11/30/2011, 03:52 PM
Holy cow... they already offered! This is so awesome! Go Mikey!

Linky (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/cougars/2016895773_coug01.html)

Seriously, love Wazzu fans. They were tons of fun at the Rose Bowl and it's really cool how long they've kept the WSU flag tradition on Gameday going. With Mike Leach at the helm, it won't be long before they get to host Gameday and the flag comes home in honor :)

Lott's Bandana
11/30/2011, 03:53 PM
The guy has proven he can coach and recruit in out=of=the=way shizzholes. Pullman>>Lubbock (but not being in TX is a bit of a challenge)

SoonerAtKU
11/30/2011, 03:54 PM
Now who is the first to photoshop an eyepatch onto the cougar logo?

Okie35
11/30/2011, 03:57 PM
Good for Mike

badger
11/30/2011, 03:57 PM

http://i39.tinypic.com/ixqxcl.png

I know it sucks

SoonerAtKU
11/30/2011, 03:58 PM
Hey, it's better than I could do, so good work!

Lott's Bandana
11/30/2011, 03:58 PM
Wondering at the dynamic when it is time for ESPN to do a Wazzu game on a Thursday night.

I think FOX has the PAC-12 tier rights for that conference so it prolly won't be soon.

Lott's Bandana
11/30/2011, 03:59 PM

I know it sucks

It may suck, but it is grandly allsome!

I'm still laughing.

sooner_born_1960
11/30/2011, 04:03 PM
Is that a crawdad on the "W"?

badger
11/30/2011, 04:05 PM
Leach won't have to worry about filling as many seats. Per Wikipedia (which has already been updated to say Leach is the coach, lol):

Stadium capacity: 35k

Seriously, look at this POS:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/2008-1018-002-WSUMartinStadiumpan.JPG/750px-2008-1018-002-WSUMartinStadiumpan.JPG

- From 2001 through 2003 Washington State had three consecutive 10 win seasons, also finishing ranked among the top ten teams in the nation each year.

-Washington State has made 10 bowl appearances, and has a bowl record of 6–4.

(didn't Leach have that during his Tech tenure?)

As noted earlier, it's last two bowls were beating Texas in the Holiday (2003) and losing to us in the Rose (also 2003, cuz this one's in January, lol). Yes, Wazzu has the clever distinction of beating Texas and losing to OU in the same calendar year, despite its Pac 10/12 conference affiliation :)

Mad Dog Madsen
11/30/2011, 04:13 PM

I know it sucks

They always do...

j/k j/k :joyous:

badger
11/30/2011, 04:22 PM
It kind of amazes me how fast they moved on this, but something tells me that if Wazzu didn't pounce on Leach, another school dying to bring some excitement back to its football program would have instead.

The sad thing is that Wulff was a Washington State alum so he is understandably a little bit hurt about how things turned out... then again, he had the worst record of any coach in Wazzu history apparently, so I'm sure the "You suck" feeling is mutual between Wazzu and Wulff at present.

LASooner
11/30/2011, 04:29 PM
The Pirate of Pullman is coming, and an unsettling earthquake just went through the PAC-12, he could be very very successful in the PAC. He got recruits to come to Lubbuck, Pullman shouldn't be that different.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/30/2011, 04:30 PM
Once again David broke this story first! Man, he has some GREAT SOURCES. We should all be thankful for the legendary oudavid1.

sooner_born_1960
11/30/2011, 04:34 PM
WE should post a twitpic in his honor.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/30/2011, 04:37 PM

F that! He needs his own forum!!! :cheerful:

badger
11/30/2011, 04:37 PM
Y'know, Mikey might find some cool things to say about cougars much like he found stuff to say about raiders.

Lott's Bandana
11/30/2011, 04:39 PM
Y'know, Mikey might find some cool things to say about cougars much like he found stuff to say about raiders.

Pirates are overrated.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8269/cougarscougarlife300x22.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/46/cougarscougarlife300x22.jpg/)

badger
11/30/2011, 04:46 PM
The cougar (Puma concolor), also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther, depending on the region, is a mammal of the family Felidae, native to the Americas.

Leach: F*** Puma, Nike and the others. How soon can we get Under Armour at this school?!

This large, solitary cat has the greatest range of any large wild terrestrial mammal in the Western Hemisphere,[3] extending from Yukon in Canada to the southern Andes of South America.

Leach: We might not be in the biggest city in the country, but we will beat the biggest programs across the country!

An adaptable, generalist species, the cougar is found in every major American habitat type. It is the second heaviest cat in the Western Hemisphere, after the jaguar. Although large, the cougar is most closely related to smaller felines and is closer genetically to the domestic cat than to true lions.

Leach: Our big-time offense will be something that kills every foe, because we can adapt and they can't!

A capable stalk-and-ambush predator, the cougar pursues a wide variety of prey. Primary food sources include ungulates such as deer, elk, moose, and bighorn sheep, as well as domestic cattle, horses and sheep, particularly in the northern part of its range. It will also hunt species as small as insects and rodents.

Leach: And ducks, and beavers and huskies, and bears and... trees I guess? We will OWN the Pac 12 North division.

This cat prefers habitats with dense underbrush and rocky areas for stalking, but it can also live in open areas.
Leach: Open season on every defense that dares to stop the air raid! ...air coug???

The cougar is territorial and persists at low population densities. Individual territory sizes depend on terrain, vegetation, and abundance of prey.

Leach: Pullman, Washington is so small that there's no distractions. Our players will graduate and compete much like Texas Tech.

While it is a large predator, it is not always the dominant species in its range, as when it competes for prey with other predators such as the jaguar, grey wolf, American Black Bear, and the grizzly bear.

Leach: So we've had a few down years. We're back now.

It is a reclusive cat and usually avoids people. Attacks on humans remain fairly rare, despite a recent increase in frequency.[4]

Leach: No, media, you CANNOT interview my players after Tuesdays on game weeks!

Because of excessive hunting following the European colonization of the Americas and the continuing human development of cougar habitat, populations have dropped in most parts of its historical range. In particular, the cougar was extirpated in eastern North America in the beginning of the 20th century, except for an isolated sub-population in Florida. However, in recent decades, breeding populations have moved east into the far western parts of the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma. Transient males have been verified in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and Illinois, where a cougar was shot in the city limits of Chicago [5][6][7] and, in at least one instance, observed as far east as Connecticut.[8][9]

Leach: So you're saying that the Washington State flag has been to College Gameday every week, regardless of where it's hosted? Well, f*** ESPN anyway. :D

49r
11/30/2011, 05:26 PM

http://yfrog.com/klu6rvij

http://a.yfrog.com/img741/558/u6rvi.jpg

Bruiser53
11/30/2011, 05:52 PM
Pullman>>Lubbock

Not sure if I agree with this one. Pullman is basically Idaho. If nothing else, Wazzu is the Texas Tech of the Pac 12 (podunk, state school with a big brother (or brothers), small and fickle/apathetic fan base, middle of nowhere, limited historical success) with a worse recruiting backyard. But because of this, Pirate Mike will be out of public eye while he continues to say ridiculous things and slowly implements his offense and rebuilds the program. Then all of sudden Wazzou may be challenging for Pac 12 North division titles in a couple years when Stanford returns to earth post Luck. I think it's a great fit for both parties, and I like college football more with Mike Leach coaching somewhere.

sOUnder
11/30/2011, 06:15 PM
Living in Washington, I love this. The local press is already in a feeding frenzy...and they're not even acquainted with the typical Leach presser yet.

Also, remember that U-Dub interviewed Leach two years ago but turned him down. Paybacks are a beeyotch.

Lott's Bandana
11/30/2011, 06:23 PM
Not sure if I agree with this one. Pullman is basically Idaho. If nothing else, Wazzu is the Texas Tech of the Pac 12 (podunk, state school with a big brother (or brothers), small and fickle/apathetic fan base, middle of nowhere, limited historical success) with a worse recruiting backyard. But because of this, Pirate Mike will be out of public eye while he continues to say ridiculous things and slowly implements his offense and rebuilds the program. Then all of sudden Wazzou may be challenging for Pac 12 North division titles in a couple years when Stanford returns to earth post Luck. I think it's a great fit for both parties, and I like college football more with Mike Leach coaching somewhere.

Have you ever been to Coeur d' Alene?

I know western Washington is an acquired taste, but years of Sasquatch Music Festivals, Coeur d' Alene and one of the most beautiful "Big Sky"s in the country, Pullman is Lubbock with accessories.

cccasooner2
11/30/2011, 06:42 PM
Holy cow... they already offered! This is so awesome! Go Mikey!

Linky (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/cougars/2016895773_coug01.html)

Seriously, love Wazzu fans. They were tons of fun at the Rose Bowl and it's really cool how long they've kept the WSU flag tradition on Gameday going. With Mike Leach at the helm, it won't be long before they get to host Gameday and the flag comes home in honor :)

They actually put the following in the article without a sacasm emoticon? "At issue was whether he mistreated a Red Raiders player, Adam James, by directing him to stay in a darkened equipment shed to help treat a concussion."

cccasooner2
11/30/2011, 06:48 PM
Pirates are overrated.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8269/cougarscougarlife300x22.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/46/cougarscougarlife300x22.jpg/)

That's a nice FLGF.

Jacie
11/30/2011, 07:04 PM
The wonder is it took this long for Mike Leach to be snapped up. He'll have em come out slingin the rock (running back prospects need not apply unless willing to play on defense) and I hope his coogs out offense the o-ducks in 2012.

BeaSooner
11/30/2011, 07:47 PM

I know it sucks

Is that a parrot on there too? lol

Widescreen
11/30/2011, 08:01 PM
Key West to Pullman. That's quite a change.

ouduckhunter
11/30/2011, 08:28 PM
I'm thrilled by this!!! Mike Leach is going to make the PAC 12 so much more entertaining!! I cheer for the OSU Beavers, but I'm about to become a Cougar fan too!!! This is going to be a blast!!! Woot Woot!!

oudavid1
11/30/2011, 10:52 PM
What is a twitpic rule?

david used to post pictures of his tweets. it became ridiculous and people got tired of him posting his tweets--since he used them to look important-- myself included. he no longer posts pics of his tweets (twitpics) because of this de facto "rule"

at least this is my take on it! :biggrin:

My Twitpic is completely shaved.

My twitpic brings all the boys to the yard...

Ok basically, i did something really annoying and finally stopped at the request by a certain member on this board.

AlbqSooner
12/1/2011, 08:03 AM
Key West to Pullman. That's quite a change.

It is about as far as a man can go without leaving the lower 48.

delhalew
12/1/2011, 08:45 AM

I know western Washington is an acquired taste, but years of Sasquatch Music Festivals, Coeur d' Alene and one of the most beautiful "Big Sky"s in the country, Pullman is Lubbock with accessories.

I have been to Coeur' d Alene. I tell anyone who wants to know, it's the most beautiful place in the US. I've seen it all so...

oudavid1
12/1/2011, 09:24 AM

I thought Pullman was in Eastern Washington?

delhalew
12/1/2011, 09:30 AM
Remember Leach grew up in Wyoming. Some of those Washington folks are too granola, but he knows the area.

Lott's Bandana
12/1/2011, 09:32 AM
I thought Pullman was in Eastern Washington?

It absolutely is. You'd think a retired navigator wouldn't make that mistake. Guess that comes with being retired.

oudavid1
12/1/2011, 09:39 AM
Remember Leach grew up in Montana. Some of those Washington folks are too granola, but he knows the area.

It absolutely is. You'd think a retired navigator wouldn't make that mistake. Guess that comes with being retired.

Lol I do it alllll the time and I think I am the smartest person in the world.
(unless my girlfriend is with me)

Lott's Bandana
12/1/2011, 09:42 AM
It's a good thing I never made that mistake in the North Atlantic.

oudavid1
12/1/2011, 09:45 AM
It's a good thing I never made that mistake in the North Atlantic.

It takes a large pair to want to go up there.

Lott's Bandana
12/1/2011, 12:26 PM
It takes a large pair to want to go up there.

Oh, the Persian Gulf is x1000 worse!

badger
12/1/2011, 12:27 PM
The official release here. (http://www.wsucougars.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/113011aaa.html)

Only the Big 12 knows how incredibly awesome this hire is... for everyone else except the Pac 12 sans Wazzu. The top teams in the Pac are gonna go WTF when Pirate Mikey runs ninja formation on their 5-star recruit defenses.

Lott's Bandana
12/1/2011, 12:34 PM
I know he does it himself but:

Mangino OC
M Stoops DC

NormanPride
12/1/2011, 12:42 PM
I wonder how he'll do out there... USC has serious talent, and Oregon can match speed. But none of them play the type of D that can stop the air raid... It really forced the whole Big 12 to shift to one type of D. It's no coincidence that we're playing more man coverage now.

LVSOONER15
12/1/2011, 01:30 PM
The Pirate of Pullman is coming, and an unsettling earthquake just went through the PAC-12, he could be very very successful in the PAC. He got recruits to come to Lubbuck, Pullman shouldn't be that different.

You are right on there. If peterson can do it at Boise, why can't the pirate do it in Pullman.

badger
12/1/2011, 01:35 PM
ESPN must know it's bias would show otherwise, had a column up saying that the rest of the pac 12 coaching openings are on notice with Zona hiring Rich Rod and Wazzu hiring Leach. UCLA and ASU are gonna need to make a splash themselves, or those TV dollars (I think its $20 mil per school per year) must be going to exec coffers instead... or academic schmafademic, hehe

delhalew
12/1/2011, 01:37 PM
We will know his staff very quickly. I am curious.

I'm most happy that all the tools on here who claimed he would have to comprise his principles to get a job were proven wrong.

Clever Trevor
12/1/2011, 01:53 PM
This totally succs , I was plying him with strippers and cocaine to come to UN-O!

TanTanFeil
12/1/2011, 02:18 PM
Would've been cool to see him go to Ole Miss. I'd be curious to see his offense go up against the defenses in the SEC

badger
12/1/2011, 02:33 PM
Would've been cool to see him go to Ole Miss. I'd be curious to see his offense go up against the defenses in the SEC

I know it was a different SEC era, but the reason Stoops hired Leach was because he had to personally deal with Leach's offense when Leach was OC in Kentucky and Stoops was DC at Florida (Tim Couch was UK's quarterback back then). So, the SEC had to deal with a few years of Mikey themselves

Mad Dog Madsen
12/1/2011, 02:50 PM
I know it was a different SEC era, but the reason Stoops hired Leach was because he had to personally deal with Leach's offense when Leach was OC in Kentucky and Stoops was DC at Florida (Tim Couch was UK's quarterback back then). So, the SEC had to deal with a few years of Mikey themselves

Why do you always feel the need to bring up a key player when talking about an old team? J/W... Don't bash me! lol.

Fraggle145
12/1/2011, 06:09 PM

Yeah, but Ole Miss isnt the best place to start a an Offense like that in the SEC. They just dont get the talent etc... He'd need to start at one of the Mid-level schools to get it off the ground. Also Mike just isnt really a good fit in the SEC, just because of the way he caries himself etc... The whole fanbase would constantly be saying "Well bless his heart..."

hvhurricane
12/1/2011, 07:35 PM
I tried to tell everyone that Leach wasn't going to get a very good job, and he didn't. This is the worst BCS job in college football. There will be no major changes in the winning column anytime soon in Pulman. That job is a no win situatation.

badger
12/1/2011, 07:50 PM
Why do you always feel the need to bring up a key player when talking about an old team? J/W... Don't bash me! lol.

Actually its to his credit that he coached Tim Couch before he went onto be an NFL bust. Leach made the Kentucky quarterback the No. 1 overall pick! The Cleveland Browns thought that the guy was their franchise savior after Art Modell moved em away and defuncted pro football in Cleveland for a few seasons! Why? Because Leach made him look like a stud!

Mad Dog Madsen
12/2/2011, 09:35 AM
Actually its to his credit that he coached Tim Couch before he went onto be an NFL bust. Leach made the Kentucky quarterback the No. 1 overall pick! The Cleveland Browns thought that the guy was their franchise savior after Art Modell moved em away and defuncted pro football in Cleveland for a few seasons! Why? Because Leach made him look like a stud!

So this means Jimbo Fisher gets credit for Jamarcus Russell right? lol. :subdued:

IndySooner
12/2/2011, 10:00 AM
I tried to tell everyone that Leach wasn't going to get a very good job, and he didn't. This is the worst BCS job in college football. There will be no major changes in the winning column anytime soon in Pulman. That job is a no win situatation.Huh? Wazzou was in the Rose Bowl less than 10 years ago. You can win in Pullman.