PDA

View Full Version : Venables as OU's next head coach?

OUInformant
11/30/2011, 12:02 PM
I'm not talking about a coach-in-waiting situation, because that is the dumbest thing ever. I'm talking if Coach Stoops retires in 5-6 years and Coach V is still the defensive coordinator.

I know a lot of people here think he is terrible, but in my opinion, a good/bad coordinator does not equal a good/bad head coach.

Venables knows the OU program as well as anybody, and is a young guy with lots of fire and recruits really well. I was just thinking about it.

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2011, 12:13 PM
And the smartazz remarks about needing a defensive minded next coach begin now....

NormanPride
11/30/2011, 12:22 PM
Nope. I don't think he has the skillset to handle the team, set a direction for the program, gladhand the donors and pacify the fans and media at the same time. I think he's a good coordinator and gets our guys in the right place 95% of the time, but I haven't seen him display the savvy that it takes to be a head coach at a program like OU.

prrriiide
11/30/2011, 01:41 PM
That would be almost as bad as the Boo hire. You would see this team degenerate into a perennial 7-4, 6-5 type team within 2 years.

OU_Sooners75
11/30/2011, 01:48 PM
Gary Gibbs comes to mind.

goingoneight
11/30/2011, 01:50 PM
He's a career coordinator, IMO. The guy is no more or less ready to go now than he was when his Alma mater called for him in 2005 and when a few others including one Arkansas called and got a no as far as interviews are concerned.
He just does the normal coordinator thing, speaks when it's necessary, recruits, coaches and gameplans most of the time. He doesn't have that 'face of a program' aura about him from what I've seen. But, then again, none of Stoops's assisntants have.
Despite what angry fans think, he could have easily been gone by now if he wanted to be IMO. If he was desperately seeking head-coaching opportunities, he'd have already started step-stoning like Tressel, Saban, Miles and Meyer did at smaller schools. He is more qualified to HC somewhere than many of the active coaches are. I can't imagine him doing worse than Turner Gill did at KU or Ty Willingham did at UW. And those aren't exactly the stepping stone jobs I was talking about.

Peach Fuzz
11/30/2011, 02:06 PM
Where's the '**** NO!' option?

SyN
11/30/2011, 02:10 PM
I would much rather have Leach then Venables... At least we could score 50 to 60 every game...

soonervegas
11/30/2011, 03:09 PM
Yes he will be and he will have more success as a HC than he does as a DC.

I actually think he is a better fit one level up.

Curly Bill
11/30/2011, 03:21 PM
He's not even a good DC for OU! Head coach??? :succ:

sooneredaco
11/30/2011, 03:29 PM
Is this a serious question?

Curly Bill
11/30/2011, 03:35 PM
I would much rather have Leach then Venables... At least we could score 50 to 60 every game...

Which would come in useful if he was to keep BV as the DC! :)

Breadburner
11/30/2011, 03:36 PM
Retard Thread....!!

8timechamps
11/30/2011, 03:38 PM
I like to think that someday, when Bob is ready to retire, Josh will be ready to take over. I like BV, but even I don't think he's head coach material...not at this level of football anyway.

Sooner_Tuf
11/30/2011, 03:47 PM
Interesting question. I don't know the answer of course but I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think he is not head coach material.
He has a lot of skills that would transfer over so I don't know why not.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/30/2011, 05:22 PM
Where's the '**** NO!' option?

Right under the '**** YES!' option.

tulsaoilerfan
11/30/2011, 05:50 PM
Brent may be perfectly content as the DC; not every assistant aspires to be a head coach ya know?

TUSooner
11/30/2011, 05:53 PM
Can we talk about something more cheerful, like the possibility of a nuclear attack?

Bruiser53
11/30/2011, 05:54 PM
Gary Gibbs comes to mind.

BINGO!

AlboSooner
11/30/2011, 09:52 PM
Hiring Brent as HC, can't be defended. Brent should understand.

goingoneight
11/30/2011, 10:16 PM
People who just can't hold in their BV hatred need to realize it's 2011. Brent was "going to be a head coach REAL SOON" per every nutjob columnist in the country after 12-0 in Dallas. Fact is, if he wanted to leave, his resume at OU speaks for itself enough to land AT LEAST a KSU/Texas Tech/SMU-kinda job. The North Texas's and FAU's of the CFB world would drool at the thought of getting him.

IF, and I mean *IF* he's going to be a HC, it's at OU or some other offer he literally just can't refuse. I just don't think he wants to.

His defenses are CAPABLE of big-time success. They've just not been CONSISTENT (See FSU and Tejas games versus Tech and Baylor games). Had OUr offense made the most of three scoring opportunities against Saint Tebow, he'd have won a lot more fans over by now. Same for the LSU game in NOLA. Consistency is something even Mike Stoop's teams struggled with. Mind you, those good ole days were the Mike AND Brent Show. Getting throttled by Rashaun Woods for four quarters was just as embarassing in 2002 as it was getting beat in the waning moments of the game by Robert Griffin. I remember lots of games where we won, but still struggled to stop someone, too. Like 2001 vs hapless KSU in Norman and 2002 vs. Mizzou.

Stooper
11/30/2011, 10:31 PM
Well Said!! I could not have said it any better..

OUInformant
12/1/2011, 12:35 AM
Is this a serious question?

Yeah, it's serious.

OUInformant
12/1/2011, 12:36 AM
Retard Thread....!!

No, I think he is a pretty good coach.

I'm not sold on Martinez yet, but he hasn't been around that long.

IBleedCrimson
12/1/2011, 12:58 AM
OP doesn't seem to understand that everyone involved with OU football needs to be fired.

Soonrs
12/1/2011, 09:51 AM
Who voted Yes? I think he should be demoted to LB coach.

soonervegas
12/1/2011, 10:00 AM
To the previous posters point....

In Venables defense, he has produced two national championship performances. (i.e. LSU and Florida) It was the O that couldn't get it done against SEC defenses with a month to prepare.

Now I do think they have problems being consistent during the regular season.

StoopTroup
12/1/2011, 10:08 AM
Brent may be perfectly content as the DC; not every assistant aspires to be a head coach ya know?

You know...in all of this that's one thing that some folks might not have even thought about. It kind of goes along with my entire thoughts concerning the folks that want to see Brent fired. If his deal as DC is with Bob and it's a package deal that Bob is just fine with Brent as his DC during his entire career at OU....the folks wanting him fired are SCREWED! It's possible that the entire group of Fans will never see Brent leave unless they cause such a **** storm that Bob decides to take a job Somewhere else and take his Coaching Staff with him. You wanna talk about a meltdown thread to 50.....lol

Curly Bill
12/1/2011, 10:39 AM
I have no doubt that BV is here forever, or until Bob leaves. In other words: I've resigned myself to a couple of defensive meltdowns per year, a mediocre defense in general, and 1-2 losses per year that will keep OU near the top, but not AT the top of college football.

A lot of you guys are fine with that, as Bob seems to be, so I'm sure things will stay exactly as they are, and that includes BV as DC.

hawaii 5-0
12/1/2011, 10:41 AM
I've never ever thought of Venables as OU's Coach in Waiting.

I pray he never has as well.

5-0

goingoneight
12/1/2011, 10:42 AM
We're expecting a NC every year or bust as OU fans. Two things have to happen to do that. One, you have to go get it done. No Texas Tech brain farts are allowed. Two, you have to have just the right team catch just enough breaks. From losing a potential AA tragically in the off-season to losing the best receiver in NCAA history to losing our leading rusher to suspensions and other nagging injuries left and right, here and there... it just wasn't in the works for us this year.
Think of Penn State. They expect to win it every year, too. Before this whole scandal went down, they've been teased with championship runs for over two decades now. It's not like there's just some magical recipe to bring the glass ball home every five years or so.

OUInformant
12/1/2011, 10:53 AM
I bet we win the title in 2012. I think our defense will be far better next year. I also think Landry sticks around.

Curly Bill
12/1/2011, 01:43 PM
We keep hearing/thinking our defense will be better. When is it ACTUALLY going to be?

soonervegas
12/1/2011, 02:35 PM
You know...in all of this that's one thing that some folks might not have even thought about. It kind of goes along with my entire thoughts concerning the folks that want to see Brent fired. If his deal as DC is with Bob and it's a package deal that Bob is just fine with Brent as his DC during his entire career at OU....the folks wanting him fired are SCREWED! It's possible that the entire group of Fans will never see Brent leave unless they cause such a **** storm that Bob decides to take a job Somewhere else and take his Coaching Staff with him. You wanna talk about a meltdown thread to 50.....lol

Totally agree and fans need to adjust their expectations accordingly. Our coaching staff as a unit is an 11-2 staff.

MamaMia
12/10/2011, 06:51 PM
Retard Thread....!!What? Did you use to be a hall monitor or something? This has got to be at least 4 or 5 times now that all you have to contribute to a whatever thread that YOU don't happen to approve of is to say how "retarded" it is. If you are that miserable of a human being that you have to express your bitterness in such a way then you have some deep seeded issues. Are you even capable of disagreeing with someone without acting like a creep?

Newsflash: There is no rule that states you HAVE to post in every thread. If you don't care for the discussion in a thread, then go on to a different thread and participate in that one, because guess what? Nobody gives a flying flip what you think about any particular thread.

StoopTroup
12/10/2011, 06:55 PM
A lot of you guys are fine with that, as Bob seems to be, so I'm sure things will stay exactly as they are, and that includes BV as DC.

So it's our fault because you think we are good with it.....lol

stoopified
12/11/2011, 11:33 AM
Everybody KNOWS it will be Heupel.

C&CDean
12/11/2011, 11:39 AM
I have no doubt that BV is here forever, or until Bob leaves. In other words: I've resigned myself to a couple of defensive meltdowns per year, a mediocre defense in general, and 1-2 losses per year that will keep OU near the top, but not AT the top of college football.

If we win a NC with Bob Stoops as our coach (and by default in your screwy world BV as our D-coordinator) will you promise to never post again? Ever.

bluedogok
12/11/2011, 01:26 PM
He's not even a good DC for OU! Head coach??? :succ:
One does not guarantee success as the other. Some people are great coordinators but not so good head coaches and some are a mediocre coordinator but have talents better suited for the top position and no need to coordinate if they have good people around them like Switzer did. Gibbs is a career coordinator type, Mack Brown was a head coach type.

Curly Bill
12/12/2011, 10:39 AM
So it's our fault because you think we are good with it.....lol

Sure, I guess...???

Curly Bill
12/12/2011, 10:40 AM
If we win a NC with Bob Stoops as our coach (and by default in your screwy world BV as our D-coordinator) will you promise to never post again? Ever.

Yup, I'll absolutely make ya that deal! I can't tell ya how not worried I am about having to pay up. ;)

Now...if BV does leave/get run off, the deal's off.