PDA

View Full Version : These last 2 games...

Soonermagik
11/30/2011, 09:32 AM
These last 2 games will tell us what kind of coaching staff we have. If they can rally the team and beat OSU and beat Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl then it will still be a let down of a season, but not near as bad of one. I think Stoops does some of his best work when people are down on his team. They were hungry at the end of last season and found ways to win.... will that happen again?

Dan Thompson
11/30/2011, 09:48 AM
We can keep OSU's offense off the field if we slow our pace down to about 30-35 seconds per snap. Have our running game working at its best and have our defense bringing their A game.

KantoSooner
11/30/2011, 10:14 AM
The major part of it will be whether the coaches can get the players' attention. Habern made a comment in today's Tulsa World about 'random plays in the first or second quarter'. Now, in fairness, he made it in comparison to 'must make' plays in the fourth quarter, but still, if OU ever showed up for four quarters, we'd probably cause the opponent to go fetal position and cry for their mommy.
But we haven't for a long time and I really don't understand why.

NormanPride
11/30/2011, 10:30 AM
Student leadership is what we need this year. I get the feeling that our leaders are great gameday leaders, but not great practice leaders. And we all know that is where championship teams are made.

We need a few more Ripkowskis and Birds.

SoonerPride
11/30/2011, 10:31 AM
We have as good a coaching staff as anyone else in the country.

I don't need to pick two arbitrary games out of a hat to know this.

Thanks.

Soonermagik
11/30/2011, 12:55 PM
We have as good a coaching staff as anyone else in the country.

I don't need to pick two arbitrary games out of a hat to know this.

Thanks.

So, if they lose these 2 last games you would still feel that way? Stoops was talking national title or bust this summer. 3-4 l's would be a disaster of a season and coaching would play a huge part of it.

SoonerPride
11/30/2011, 01:11 PM
So, if they lose these 2 last games you would still feel that way? Stoops was talking national title or bust this summer. 3-4 l's would be a disaster of a season and coaching would play a huge part of it.

The body of work is not determined by two games.

Win or lose.

StoopTroup
11/30/2011, 01:18 PM
I don't get this disaster scenario.

If we win Saturday....we are the Big XII Champs again. If we lose oSu wins their first Big XII Championship ever. They have played well enough this year to really have earned the title if they beat us. If they do...I don't see how our season suddenly becomes a disaster. It would suck....but life goes on. Our guys probably get another consolation Bowl Game and a good number of them will never play another down for OU. I remember seeing Gerald McCoy walk off the field in El Paso after we beat Stanford in the Sun Bowl. He didn't seem to disappointed even though he played his heart out that year. It was a moment I as a Sooner hated seeing as he was a great player. To say he was part of a disaster isn't very fair to the guys that continued on after all of the injuries we have amassed.

Just the way I see things.

Soonermagik
11/30/2011, 03:50 PM
Guys, if this team loses 3 or 4 games when starting the season preranked #1 that would be the definition of a train wreck. Stoops even said this was one of his best teams. Sure, they lost Broyles and Whaley, but this team is loaded. And let's be honest, they didn't lose to great teams. Baylor has gotten better, but they don't have the same level of talent, facilities etc. as OU. Texas Tech has proven to be a joke.

I'm not a knee jerk reaction type of guy. If this staff can win the Big 12 and win the Fiesta Bowl then I will give them their due. However, in my eyes anything less than a big 12 and Fiesta Bowl win is a disaster. Oh.. and the team that won the Sun Bowl did it with way more injuries than this team had. Not to mention, that was Jones first year.

SoonerTerry
11/30/2011, 04:04 PM

That was T. Lewis that made the MNCG or bust comment

BoulderSooner79
11/30/2011, 04:13 PM
Preseason rankings are just a bunch of opinions backed by extrapolation. And they assume relative health of star players backed by good depth elsewhere. Assumptions proved to be false.

the-rover
11/30/2011, 04:21 PM
I don't get this disaster scenario.

If we win Saturday....we are the Big XII Champs again. If we lose oSu wins their first Big XII Championship ever. They have played well enough this year to really have earned the title if they beat us. If they do...I don't see how our season suddenly becomes a disaster. It would suck....but life goes on. Our guys probably get another consolation Bowl Game and a good number of them will never play another down for OU. I remember seeing Gerald McCoy walk off the field in El Paso after we beat Stanford in the Sun Bowl. He didn't seem to disappointed even though he played his heart out that year. It was a moment I as a Sooner hated seeing as he was a great player. To say he was part of a disaster isn't very fair to the guys that continued on after all of the injuries we have amassed.

Just the way I see things.

Well put.

Soonermagik
11/30/2011, 04:25 PM
That was T. Lewis that made the MNCG or bust comment

Stoops made a very similar statement:

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-coach-bob-stoops-doesnt-regret-saying-it-was-about-time-sooners-won-national-title/article/3627627?custom_click=masthead_topten

EmDiggy
11/30/2011, 04:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRkyvfFvilc

Good evening Sooner fans! Here's a preview of the Bedlam Game!

Breadburner
11/30/2011, 04:34 PM
I think he meant to say "one of the most lopsided rivalries in College football"....At the end of the vid....