PDA

View Full Version : VENEABLES to UCLA

possumfat
11/29/2011, 10:38 AM
It could happen!

C&CDean
11/29/2011, 10:46 AM
The numbnutted knuckle draggers could only wish.

StoopTroup
11/29/2011, 11:20 AM
Venables is playing Possum.

FriscoTXsooner
11/29/2011, 06:38 PM
Maybe not so strange!! I was talking to an Ohio State Grad today at the gym, apparently it is being discussed in Ohio circles that Bob Stoops is entertaining the idea of bringing his brother Mark to Norman as the new DC. I think there is probably some validity there, and I am willing to wager that BV's name will be bantered about the coaching ranks as a possible replacement for several of the job openings currently in college football. I also think that Martinez will be gone as well. It's not wishful thinking, but in looking at what the defense has failed to do over the past couple of years, perhaps it's time for a change.

Dan Thompson
11/29/2011, 06:42 PM
We have some financial problems in California and UCLA is part of the UC system. I don't think UCLA would be able to afford the things, facilaties, athletic dorm, etc. that BV is accustom to at OU.

UCLA doesn't have their own field, but uses the Rose Bowl.

agoo758
11/29/2011, 06:45 PM
It would terrible if he left, he has never made a single mistake in his life.

C&CDean
11/29/2011, 06:51 PM
But your momma did.

sooner n houston
11/29/2011, 06:55 PM
You folks hoping Veneables leaves may regret it when it does happen. I think he is one of the best DC in the country! The day is coming where he take a head coaching job.

badger
11/29/2011, 07:04 PM
I don't think he'll go to UCLA. That program is ready to drop some of its big TV deal money to get a big name coach. $3 mil is the number I've read. I don't think Brent V is a $3 mil coach yet.

A more likely landing spot is a place that wants to build, but doesn't want to overspend on an unproven guy. Here's some that might fit that:

- Washington State
- North Carolina
- Ole Miss
- Arizona
- Tulane
- Memphis
- Penn State

Penn State is probably unrealistic, but no big name is gonna go there to follow Joe Pa immediately and I'm not sure they'd want a big name right away. Rather, I think they're gonna go as far away from the Penn State "family" as possible to ensure that Joe Pa has little chance at program meddling... think Tennessee after Fat Phil got canned and they went with Lane Kiffin.

agoo758
11/29/2011, 07:41 PM
But your momma did.

How so? She obviously raised a son to believe that Venables has nothing to do with the fact that we consistently finish in the 40's and 50's on defense, and that there is nothing that he can do because OU is incapable of bringing in developing any talent considering the lack of resources we have at our university. I am in complete agreement with you here.

agoo758
11/29/2011, 07:43 PM
Penn State is probably unrealistic, but no big name is gonna go there to follow Joe Pa immediately and I'm not sure they'd want a big name right away. Rather, I think they're gonna go as far away from the Penn State "family" as possible to ensure that Joe Pa has little chance at program meddling... think Tennessee after Fat Phil got canned and they went with Lane Kiffin.

Dan Mullins' name has been thrown around, if you wanna call him a big name.

cvsooner
11/29/2011, 08:15 PM
I don't think he'll go to UCLA. That program is ready to drop some of its big TV deal money to get a big name coach. $3 mil is the number I've read. I don't think Brent V is a $3 mil coach yet.

A more likely landing spot is a place that wants to build, but doesn't want to overspend on an unproven guy. Here's some that might fit that:

- Washington State
- North Carolina
- Ole Miss
- Arizona
- Tulane
- Memphis
- Penn State

Penn State is probably unrealistic, but no big name is gonna go there to follow Joe Pa immediately and I'm not sure they'd want a big name right away. Rather, I think they're gonna go as far away from the Penn State "family" as possible to ensure that Joe Pa has little chance at program meddling... think Tennessee after Fat Phil got canned and they went with Lane Kiffin.Arizona has landed a coach named Rich Rodriguez. So that one's out.

cvsooner
11/29/2011, 08:16 PM
We have some financial problems in California and UCLA is part of the UC system. I don't think UCLA would be able to afford the things, facilaties, athletic dorm, etc. that BV is accustom to at OU.

UCLA doesn't have their own field, but uses the Rose Bowl.It's true the Golden State has its financial issues, which is why Pat Hill is still coaching at Fresno...they can't afford to fire him. But UCLA boosters have agreed to pony up enough money to upgrade facilities and hire the coach they're after. At this point, according to the LA Times, that's Chris Pedersen of Bozo State.

FriscoTXsooner
11/29/2011, 08:56 PM
Just heard that Mike Leach is on the short list for Washington State.

StoopTroup
11/29/2011, 09:11 PM
Also it's spelled....

Brent Venables (http://soonersports.com/school-bio/brent_venables.html)

mdklatt
11/29/2011, 09:58 PM
apparently it is being discussed in Ohio circles

By the Stoops brothers' third cousin-once-removed's accountant's ex-wife's brother-in-law?

joe4sooners
11/29/2011, 10:14 PM
If he does I don't know Mark would be a great hire.

TanTanFeil
11/29/2011, 10:40 PM
BV is more likely to go to Ole Miss than UCLA

mdklatt
11/29/2011, 10:48 PM
BV is more likely to go to Ole Miss than UCLA

That's a tough gig. They expect to win without having much reason to expect to win. Although they'll be in the same division with Mizzou and aTm so there's a couple of easy wins almost every season.

cccasooner2
11/29/2011, 10:49 PM
It's true the Golden State has its financial issues, which is why Pat Hill is still coaching at Fresno...they can't afford to fire him. But UCLA boosters have agreed to pony up enough money to upgrade facilities and hire the coach they're after. At this point, according to the LA Times, that's Chris Pedersen of Bozo State.

He can't bring this guy with him to play QB though.

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/ipt/forde_kellenmoore_220_112811.jpg

BoomerJ
11/29/2011, 11:10 PM

Someone needs to fark that.

SoonernAR
11/29/2011, 11:47 PM
V gone........we can only hope. There is always a chance that the guy that replaces him sucks, but things are bad enough on the D side that it is worth the risk.

Sooner_Tuf
11/30/2011, 01:05 AM

Rudy?

King Barry's Back
11/30/2011, 03:28 AM

UCLA doesn't have their own field, but uses the Rose Bowl.

You act like playing at the Rose Bowl is some kind of hindrance. That is a major prestige asset for a program.

And it doesn't matter what facilities Mr Venebles is accustomed to at OU. It only matters how a school's assetts stack up against his recruiting rivals.

King Barry's Back
11/30/2011, 03:31 AM

- Washington State
- North Carolina
- Ole Miss
- Arizona
- Tulane
- Memphis
- Penn State

Oh, yeah, the "Land Kiffin" model. That's one for sure success! But really, I think PSU will cut all ties with the Paterno era - which now will be seen as an embarrassing chapter in university history, rather than the glorious period of unparalleled football stability and success that it has been viewed as.

Ground_Attack
11/30/2011, 04:42 AM
Someone needs to fark that.

I thought it was!

Dan Thompson
11/30/2011, 10:07 AM
The Rose Bowl is about 20 freeway miles from UCLA. UCLA probably does not have much control or say about the facility, unlike OU football has over Owens field.

Why would VB want to go to a school that does not have as good facilities (athletic dorm, weight room, ,etc) as OU. Most of the facilities at OU are new or will be as soon as the athletic dorm is completed.

OklahomaTuba
11/30/2011, 10:10 AM
I thought it was spelled Vulnerables????

badger
11/30/2011, 10:10 AM
Arizona has landed a coach named Rich Rodriguez. So that one's out.

I meant state. ASU. :)

Hiring a championship dude didn't work out, so they may be looking to just go a different direction with someone without head coaching experience. ASU would actually be a very good landing spot.

hawaii 5-0
11/30/2011, 10:14 AM
I think the decision to move will be Venables's. Bob won't even urge him to leave.

5-0

StoopTroup
11/30/2011, 10:33 AM
The Rose Bowl is about 20 freeway miles from UCLA. UCLA probably does not have much control or say about the facility, unlike OU football has over Owens field.

Why would VB want to go to a school that does not have as good facilities (athletic dorm, weight room, ,etc) as OU. Most of the facilities at OU are new or will be as soon as the athletic dorm is completed.

Maybe the Head Coach gets to move into some nice digs in Malibu and the School picks up all the fees for Pebble Beach when he wants to just go get a few rounds in? Tulsa was throwing in all kinds of things to try and keep a Coach (Like a Southern Hills Membership), so why wouldn't UCLA or really any of the Schools out there toss in all kinds of offers to get a guy to take over if they didn't want to pay a Stoops or Brown 5 million per anum?

I just don't see UCLA trying to get Brent. I see them trying to lure a guy that would build an offensive juggernaut.

prrriiide
11/30/2011, 01:43 PM
think Tennessee after Fat Phil got canned and they went with Lane Kiffin.

Yes, that worked out splendidly for the Vols...

And Ol Mrs. is getting what they deserve after what they did to Cutcliffe...

badger
11/30/2011, 01:54 PM
OK, I'm not saying it worked out great for the Vols. But they did have one season of pizzing the rest of the SEC off and a glimmer of hope that they were on the verge of competing for the SEC again till Coach "Win Forever" surprisingly left USC.

And I'm saying that it'll happen because programs do NOT learn from others' mistakes. They want to go a different direction and make a big splash? Damn the consequences, we need to get the boosters' money now and win NOW!

Curly Bill
11/30/2011, 03:33 PM
I'm not saying those people out there aren't clueless, but I don't think even they're dumb enough to hire BV for their head coach. But that won't keep me from hoping for it. ;)

But remember I'm some sort of knuckle-dragger because I don't worship at the BV altar Dean has set up in his barn.

PalmBeachSooner
11/30/2011, 03:38 PM
By the Stoops brothers' third cousin-once-removed's accountant's ex-wife's brother-in-law?

That guy knows everything. He is, afer all, the unnamed source close to the program we always hear about on this board. I can't believe you outed him.

badger
11/30/2011, 04:32 PM
I'm not saying those people out there aren't clueless, but I don't think even they're dumb enough to hire BV for their head coach. But that won't keep me from hoping for it. ;)

Desperate times, desperate measures. If you can't afford an ex-head coach or a current head coach, you go for an assistant. BV has many good qualities (don't laugh! he does!) that would be appealing to some of these schools seeking a coach:

Salary: He currently makes $440,000. Doubling that for a head coaching position would still put BV's salary at the affordable, lower tier for major college program head coaches.

Recruiting: He has experience in the Big 12 and the state of Texas and knows how to compete with other top schools for top recruits in one of the best states to recruit talent from.

Winning: Even though OU hasn't won a national title since 2000, Big 12 titles and BCS bowl wins are nothing to sneer at, especially for hapless helpless programs that might just think they've died and gone to heaven if they could compete in their respective conferences again.

Role model: Ignore the funny facial expressions on the sidelines and think back to Austin Box's funeral. His emotion was truly moving, showing how much he cared for his players.

SoonerorLater
11/30/2011, 04:46 PM
Sometimes we get a little to close to see the big picture. BV would be a good get for a lot of schools. He's a great recruiter and does come from a successful program. Bob's assistants that have gone on to get HC jobs have by in large done well, at least on the playing field. I think Ole Miss is professional suicide but they would be lucky to get BV. I'd be shocked if he went even if he could get the job.