PDA

View Full Version : OU lands JUCO Stud.....

madillsoonerfan5353
11/28/2011, 03:08 PM
http://espn.go.com/colleges/oklahoma/football/recruiting/story/_/id/7287296/chaz-nelson-commits-oklahoma-sooners?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

My question is do we beef him up and play him at d end or does he come in as a lb'er?

Dale Ellis
11/28/2011, 03:10 PM
"stud", apparently Troy thinks so as well.

8timechamps
11/28/2011, 03:12 PM
Moving this to the Recruiting board...

goingoneight
11/28/2011, 03:13 PM
Something tells me this is Ronnell Lewis's replacement. Stoops tends to sign JUCOs to fill vacancies from early exits.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/28/2011, 03:14 PM
"stud", apparently Troy thinks so as well.

I don't know the kid, that was just the headline in the email. Prolly shouldn't have put that in the title?

:stupid: :beaten: He could :succ:? :bri::gary:

rainiersooner
11/28/2011, 09:20 PM
OU could also see junior defensive end Ronnell Lewis elect to enter the NFL draft. Lewis is ranked No. 17 on Mel Kiper's Big Board on ESPN.com.

Anyone else think the Hammer is leaving early? That would surprise me....

IBleedCrimson
11/29/2011, 12:44 AM
Anyone else think the Hammer is leaving early? That would surprise me....

Wouldn't surprise me at all since he has difficulty making grades.

Big D Sooner
11/29/2011, 09:43 PM
This guy looks pretty good, but it surprises me how many JUCO guys we are going after. It makes me think that either Stoops thinks we are a few pieces away from being good, the talent pool interested in Oklahoma isn't that good, or the young guys haven't developed like we'd hoped. I hope it's the first thing and not the latter two

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2011, 03:33 PM
This guy looks pretty good, but it surprises me how many JUCO guys we are going after. It makes me think that either Stoops thinks we are a few pieces away from being good, the talent pool interested in Oklahoma isn't that good, or the young guys haven't developed like we'd hoped. I hope it's the first thing and not the latter two

Personally I think this kid is a linebacker. A) He is kind of small (236) and B) historically, we are 0 fer recruiting juco DEs and we haven't recruited one in 5-6 years (even he was an oddity because he was a qualified juco and had 4 to play 4 at OU).

I think what we are doing is looking for immediate impact playmakers on the D side. Jefferson should turn the corner and be crazy good next year, but he can't do it alone (Even TGRW had Calmus and Lehman and Strait making plays). Hopefully what we are seeing is them going back to the early 2000s concept of mixing playmakers and athletes because right now we are 95% athlete on the defensive side of the ball.

NormanPride
12/1/2011, 05:48 PM
Wasn't AhYou really good? Or was he who you were talking about?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/1/2011, 06:02 PM
Wasn't AhYou really good? Or was he who you were talking about?

I actually have Ah You being recruited as a DT then switched out to DE (no idea why i have it catalogued like that)

I have Juco DEs as David Jones, Marcus Chretien, Tim Johnson (the oddity).

NormanPride
12/1/2011, 06:46 PM
Hmm... I always thought AhYou came in as a DE. And yes, those are misses, but not a huge sampling.

I've never payed much attention to what they came in as. Austin Box was a safety commit, but everyone knew as soon as he hit OU he was going to be a LB. I would be curious to hear what the coaches recruited this guy as. If they think he's gonna be a DE, then I would classify him there. But just because ESPN says he's a DE and he plays DE now doesn't mean that's why we brought him in.

sooneron
12/1/2011, 10:34 PM
I actually have Ah You being recruited as a DT then switched out to DE (no idea why i have it catalogued like that)

I have Juco DEs as David Jones, Marcus Chretien, Tim Johnson (the oddity).

Maybe this had something to do with it?

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=1662841

NormanPride
12/2/2011, 08:35 AM
Weird. He played DE in JUCO, DE for us, and I believe was recruited as as DE, but that place has him as as DT. No sense, it makes.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/4/2011, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry, but this seems like a reach. I really am not cracking on the guy if he wants to be a Sooner. But if the numbers rivals has posted are accurate, he screams walk-on, not scholie.

275 max bench? That's a high school number. In fact, that's a good sophomore or junior high school number.

I know bench and that stuff doesn't tell the whole story on guys. The question ALWAYS is, can the kid play football. (i.e. a 400 lb bench doesn't do a danged bit of good if a guy doesn't have a motor or head for the game.) But still... doesn't impress much as a starting point.

I'll just relate my perspective. I've got a 5'9" 170 lb sophomore DE who benches 235 max living under my roof. And he has good speed, a great motor and a head for the game... just not the size. He'll end up a pretty good little HS player by the time he is done with what he is showing so far. But even if he gets another 2-3 inches in growth, we all know that ain't going to translate to a scholie or even a half scholie to a DII school.

So it concerns me when OU signs these guys with what I'll just say are poor measurables. Makes me question their work ethic right off the bat. And especially when this is a JUCO???

Couldn't that scholie go to a HS guy with the same so he gets a couple more years of development? Clearly I don't get it.

Hope the kid has big time game that can't be measured.

picasso
12/4/2011, 09:41 PM
Torrance Marshall had a weak bench press. Just sayin'.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/5/2011, 12:15 PM
I'm sorry, but this seems like a reach. I really am not cracking on the guy if he wants to be a Sooner. But if the numbers rivals has posted are accurate, he screams walk-on, not scholie.

275 max bench? That's a high school number. In fact, that's a good sophomore or junior high school number.

I know bench and that stuff doesn't tell the whole story on guys. The question ALWAYS is, can the kid play football. (i.e. a 400 lb bench doesn't do a danged bit of good if a guy doesn't have a motor or head for the game.) But still... doesn't impress much as a starting point.

I'll just relate my perspective. I've got a 5'9" 170 lb sophomore DE who benches 235 max living under my roof. And he has good speed, a great motor and a head for the game... just not the size. He'll end up a pretty good little HS player by the time he is done with what he is showing so far. But even if he gets another 2-3 inches in growth, we all know that ain't going to translate to a scholie or even a half scholie to a DII school.

So it concerns me when OU signs these guys with what I'll just say are poor measurables. Makes me question their work ethic right off the bat. And especially when this is a JUCO???

Couldn't that scholie go to a HS guy with the same so he gets a couple more years of development? Clearly I don't get it.

Hope the kid has big time game that can't be measured.

it may just be a misprint, guess or old data (like from high school).

Spring enrollee + he's quick off the edge:

Nelson was named the Jayhawk Conference Defensive Player of the Year this season. He had 96 tackles and 9.5 sacks. Nelson forced four fumbles and also returned an interception for a touchdown.

reminds me of that little 3-4 linebacker that nebraska had.

OUInformant
12/5/2011, 03:04 PM
If he is a hard worker, makes his grades, and just appreciates the opportunity that he has at Oklahoma, that is all that matters to me. We need those kind of guys nowadays.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/6/2011, 01:45 PM
I agree with all three of you... just in a bit of "question everything" mood when past 2-3 classes we've gotten that are supposed to be really good have an inexplicable season like we just had. So this was a "are we really getting the right guys?" sort of speculation on my part. Though DE seems to be one area that we continually have some of the very best in the nation. So what do I know... (rhetorical, the answer is "nada")

But OUI... your point is the most important one anyway. Kid wants to be a Sooner, he has the scholie offer, good on 'im.