PDA

View Full Version : What has been the impact of Kevin Sumlin leaving?

Fraggle145
11/28/2011, 12:36 PM
I know everyone talks about Mike Stoops leaving, but since Sumlin left we have fallen off in some other ways. I was wondering what the real impact was on us of him heading to Houston (where he seems to be doing quite well these days).

Thoughts?

SoonerDood
11/28/2011, 01:05 PM
Norvell is a **** poor recruiter and a worse developer of the talent he recruits.

StoopTroup
11/28/2011, 01:09 PM
Norvell is a **** poor recruiter and a worse developer of the talent he recruits.

One thing I don't understand was this Co-Offensive Coordinator. It's all muckity muck. Josh is running the offense. It's pretty obvious.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/28/2011, 01:14 PM

I don't know about the recruiting, but IMO the receivers have got an attitude about them now for the most part. Had Reynolds played Saturday, I think we put more points on the board. Jackson is young and coming along I think. Stills is about Stills and that's his problem, kinda like T. Lew IMO. They'll be tested this weekend for sure.

sooner59
11/28/2011, 01:15 PM
One thing I don't understand was this Co-Offensive Coordinator. It's all muckity muck. Josh is running the offense. It's pretty obvious.

Norvell is an old college buddy of Bob. He didn't want his pride to take a hit by being demoted from OC at UCLA to WR coach at OU. So he just made him and Josh co-OC. But yeah, Josh runs it. I think Norvell's title was so that it would still keep him on the radar of other programs because down the road, he is more likely to get another OC or HC job if he has that OC tag. Just my thoughts. I could be wrong.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/28/2011, 01:18 PM
To me the problem started when Planet Mangino left. Wasn't he the o line coach when he was here? To me the problem for the most part are the hurry up and the o line play.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/28/2011, 01:25 PM
I know everyone talks about Mike Stoops leaving, but since Sumlin left we have fallen off in some other ways. I was wondering what the real impact was on us of him heading to Houston (where he seems to be doing quite well these days).

Thoughts?

The biggest change was that we got some discipline in the WR corps. They still don't block all that well (compared with pre-Sumlin) but its better than they did. Not sure if you remember Kelly and Iglesias the last year Sumlin was here, but it was pretty embarassing.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/28/2011, 01:27 PM
Norvell is an old college buddy of Bob. He didn't want his pride to take a hit by being demoted from OC at UCLA to WR coach at OU. So he just made him and Josh co-OC. But yeah, Josh runs it. I think Norvell's title was so that it would still keep him on the radar of other programs because down the road, he is more likely to get another OC or HC job if he has that OC tag. Just my thoughts. I could be wrong.

Weird Fact: This is the 2nd time Norvell has been hired as a coach at OU under Stoops.

Norvell was the OC at Nebraska before going to UCLA.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/28/2011, 01:30 PM

I think its mainly for gameplanning. Instead of putting the burden on one guy to go through and assess strengths/weaknesses and potential gains on plays, you have 2 guys do it.

StoopTroup
11/28/2011, 01:34 PM

Again I sat down low this year and really got to see OU Warm-ups. You'd see Josh come through acting the part of an Offensive Coordinator and then you'd see Jay down there with a small blocking pad trying to cheerlead the Recievers and do some warm ups with them. It's hard to really jump from there to seeing him Coordinate the entire OU Offense. I'm sure he's part of helping Josh put together a Game Plan but it's pretty damn Obvious that Josh is the QB Coach and is who is helping the WRs work with Landry. I don't like Coach bashing but Jay just isn't the guy behind the offense. I'm always gonna be partial to Josh anyway and I think you are right....it was a way to help Jay get ready to move on.

StoopTroup
11/28/2011, 01:35 PM
I think its mainly for gameplanning. Instead of putting the burden on one guy to go through and assess strengths/weaknesses and potential gains on plays, you have 2 guys do it.

Yeah....I agree

toast
11/28/2011, 01:56 PM
To me the problem started when Planet Mangino left. Wasn't he the o line coach when he was here? To me the problem for the most part are the hurry up and the o line play.

Weren't we constantly having attrition problems in the ol with mangino?

SoonerDood
11/28/2011, 02:00 PM
He's missed on the #1 signee a few times (Jarboe, McCay, Metoyer) and failed to develop anyone other than Broyles. Stills is good, but looks like he's got Malcolm Kelly Syndrome.

SoonerAtKU
11/28/2011, 02:43 PM
Wait, do you mean "missed" as in "mis-evaluated" or as in "failed to land"?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/28/2011, 02:52 PM
He's missed on the #1 signee a few times (Jarboe, McCay, Metoyer) and failed to develop anyone other than Broyles. Stills is good, but looks like he's got Malcolm Kelly Syndrome.

Jarboe was in the 2008 recruiting class so technically he is Sumlins prize (since Norvell was hired 7 days before Jarboe committed). Although he was from Georgia so he was a Cale Gundy guy.

McCay is still on campus and at #2 on the depth chart. Remember that it isn't a crime for a guy to redshirt and contribute as a So/Jr/Sr. Writing him off at this point is premature.

Metoyer was a qualification risk which we are getting back this season (hopefully).

I also think you aren't giving him enough credit for Reynolds or for Kenney who was one of the better receivers around at the end of last year. However, Franks and Reynolds off the field problems are a big negative.

BoulderSooner79
11/28/2011, 03:11 PM
The biggest impact of Sumlin leaving is that Houston has become a much better team.