PDA

View Full Version : I am not a fan of the "Bell-dozer"

SoonerPride
11/27/2011, 01:54 PM
I'm not a fan of the "Bell-dozer."
There, I said it.

Nothing against Blake Bell, but this package/system makes me sad.

I think it's lame. I think if you have two quarterbacks you don't have a quarterback.

I think it takes the offense out of its rhythm.

In short yardage situations I think you line up and blow people off the ball and get a first down. Trotting one group off and another group on is rinky dink.

It has even got a goofy name which shows how gimmicky it is.

It is lame and not worthy of Oklahoma football.

You keep your starters out there and get them to execute. Period.

The Belldozer is weak sauce.

BigTip
11/27/2011, 02:02 PM
I agree. I hate it when new things are tried that cure previous problems.

Oh wait.

I guess that means I disagree.

FtwTxSooner
11/27/2011, 02:03 PM
I'm not a fan of the "Bell-dozer."
In short yardage situations I think you line up and blow people off the ball and get a first down. Trotting one group off and another group on is rinky dink. .

You keep your starters out there and get them to execute. Period.

What should we do if we simply failed to execute in short yardage / red zone situations with our normal starters and offensive package?

AlboSooner
11/27/2011, 02:14 PM
It has solved our red zone woes. Im a big fan of it.

olevetonahill
11/27/2011, 02:14 PM
I agree. I hate it when new things are tried that cure previous problems.

Oh wait.

I guess that means I disagree.

What should we do if we simply failed to execute in short yardage / red zone situations with our normal starters and offensive package?

And we did so well in the Red Zone yesterday dint we.:biggrin:

One4OU
11/27/2011, 02:20 PM
Most of the time Bell is barely touched. If they can run this formation and score in the red zone why do we need to change qb's to be effective at doing it? Cant we just run the same scheme and play with a rb or with Landry? I think it is silly....if Landry stays is this what we are going to do for next year as well?

Neath a Western Sky
11/27/2011, 02:25 PM
I love the Belldozer. We might have lost to both A & M and Iowa State without it. Too bad we need it, but we dang sure do. Our batting average for scoring TDs is not too high when Landry is at the helm inside the 5, is it?

soonercastor
11/27/2011, 02:49 PM
http://vgresearcher.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/1262443128690.gif

Edit: I completely missed the sarcasm in the OP

http://sarcasmmeter.net/sarcasm_detector.jpg

SoonerObsession
11/27/2011, 02:52 PM
It would be nice if we could ram it down their throats with our regular guys, but how many times do we have to fail at that to prove we can't do it? I at least have hope now, that when we are in the redzone we can make it happen. We can not line up and push bodies off the ball with our current linemen period. We have quick footed, fantastic pass protectors. They don't have enough butt in their britches to do what Bama and LSU do.

SoonerKnight
11/27/2011, 02:54 PM
Bell is 255lbs he can muscle through. He is big, strong and physical. Landry is not that type of QB. It fixes a lot of issues so what's the big deal? Bell has an arm so he can throw as wel. Although that has not work that well!

cccasooner2
11/27/2011, 02:55 PM
It is lame and not worthy of Oklahoma football.

I'm with you, I thought the same thing about the wishbone, still do.

Breadburner
11/27/2011, 02:55 PM
Scoring and getting 1st downs suck.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BoulderSooner79
11/27/2011, 05:08 PM
It would be nice if we didn't have to bring in a special package, but I see it as a creative way to solve a problem. ISU did show it can be stopped yesterday as they stuffed it several times, so it is no panacea. I like that we did try an option as well as a pass even though it didn't work. This will just be a short lived fad if it doesn't become a bit more versatile. In the meantime, it works and it gives other coaches more to have to plan for. I didn't see it getting the regular offense out of sync, but that is a risk.

SoonerorLater
11/27/2011, 05:34 PM
I agree. Scoring touchdowns is OK but its better to look good. This is just so Tim Tebow.

IBleedCrimson
11/27/2011, 05:37 PM
and whats with this damn forward pass?

StoopTroup
11/27/2011, 05:38 PM
After seeing Landry lay that block on the ISU Player in the 4th qtr yesterday....I'm pretty sure he can handle any of the plays that the Dozer does.

Bell is being watched by every Team we play since we started using him. He's successful on short yardage as they are hoping he won't pull back and catch them with their pants down down field. They would rather give up a 1st down than a TD. Blake has an arm on him and every Coach in the Big XII knows that he's not getting PT just because he's 255 and can run. He scares the **** out them.

Using him also is less wear on Landry. Losing Landry would be the end of our Season right now. Using Blake more and seeing him just run right out there and be ready when they call his number was awesome yesterday. It shows to me that he's ready to be the man if Landry moves on to the NFL.

If you aren't a fan of the way he's being used right now....fine. But IMHO...you better get used to it because I think it won't be long until we see him continuing to Doze Defenses at OU even if he's not our Starter.

btb916
11/27/2011, 05:45 PM
After seeing Landry lay that block on the ISU Player in the 4th qtr yesterday....I'm pretty sure he can handle any of the plays that the Dozer does.

That was a hell of a block. Loved to see him do that.

SicEmBaylor
11/27/2011, 05:48 PM
I think it takes the offense out of its rhythm.

Results show otherwise.

OUInformant
11/27/2011, 06:10 PM
I gotta say that the Belldozer package is working quite well.

marfacowboy
11/27/2011, 06:14 PM
I don't care if they put another Refrigerator Perry back there. Just get the damn TD.

C&CDean
11/27/2011, 06:14 PM
Where can I get a Belldozer ring tone?

Johnny Utah
11/27/2011, 06:21 PM
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time. :biggrin:

StoopTroup
11/27/2011, 06:42 PM

Or just a damn T-Shirt. ROTFLMFAO!

cleller
11/27/2011, 06:57 PM
We need more Ripkowski. I gotta have more Ripkowski!

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/cs6000/300px-Walken-Cowbell.jpg

pphilfran
11/27/2011, 07:03 PM

As close as I can find...

http://www.myxer.com/ringtone/id/1565270/Corny-Yet-Funny/Semi-Truck-Horn/

MountainOkie
11/27/2011, 07:10 PM
We need more Ripkowski. I gotta have more Ripkowski!

Best football name EVAR!

With a name like that they should make him wear a leather helmet.

Johnny Utah
11/27/2011, 07:17 PM
This is just so Tim Tebow.

And the problem with that is? I'll take a 35-6 record as a starter and 2 MNC's any day if this is what it takes.

Eielson
11/27/2011, 07:25 PM
1) It gives Bell valuable game experience. Obviously he will have a different role when he's the starter, but he'll be comfortable leading the team immediately when his time comes.
2) He'll be less likely to transfer even if he doesn't become the starter right away next year. At least I'm guessing.
3) Improves our short yardage offense. Could Landry do it? Probably, but do you really want to unnecessarily risk your starter like that?

Isn't this idea pretty similar to what Florida did with Leak and Tebow when they won the championship?

BoulderSooner79
11/27/2011, 07:29 PM
And the problem with that is? I'll take a 35-6 record as a starter and 2 MNC's any day if this is what it takes.

That brings up another point - who thinks this formation would work against Bama in the BCS title game? I think Bama would stone it for no gain most the time if it remained as predictable as we run it now. It's great for what we are getting out of it against the teams we are playing now. That's all that counts since we won't being seeing a Bama-like team in the title game. And it is *not* Tebow-like either. The Gator spread was quite versatile with options for both running and passing.

Johnny Utah
11/27/2011, 08:34 PM
That brings up another point - who thinks this formation would work against Bama in the BCS title game? I think Bama would stone it for no gain most the time if it remained as predictable as we run it now. It's great for what we are getting out of it against the teams we are playing now. That's all that counts since we won't being seeing a Bama-like team in the title game. And it is *not* Tebow-like either. The Gator spread was quite versatile with options for both running and passing.

I don't think it would work against Bama and you obviously don't either. Now maybe with Florida's line (two Pounceys) and more versatile run as well as pass options (tight end anyone?) there's a fighting chance. I'd like to think that OU gets back in the MNC mix soon and is regarded at the same level as Bama, LSU, etc. I think most of us agree it's going to take a shutdown defense and a more balanced offense.

rock on sooner
11/27/2011, 08:46 PM
The ways that we have used it so far shows that it is really predictable. However, even when the opponent knows it's
coming, most of the time it gets the same result as the wishbone did...remember the story..."we're coming this way and
you can't stop us!" Now, a Bama or (sic)LSU might have better results now but, there are soooooo many wrinkles that
are to come! Be patient...............

swardboy
11/27/2011, 08:53 PM
I think it's all about setting up the old single wing when Bell gets the starting nod....

Tidefan36854
11/27/2011, 11:11 PM
We won NC in 2009 due in part to using a 370 pound DL as a full back. Early in the season, teams stacked the box in short yardage situations, and did not respect Greg McElroy to beat them. We struggled in the red zone as result of it, and settled for a lot of FG's instead of TD's. Our coaches started using Terrance Cody as a FB, and we stopped getting stuffed. It may have been gimmicky or whatever, but it was effective. I think Coach Stoops is utilizing his talent, and if it is working, call it good!

delhalew
11/27/2011, 11:15 PM
I think it's all about setting up the old single wing when Bell gets the starting nod....

Drool.

hawaii 5-0
11/27/2011, 11:50 PM
Best football name EVAR!

With a name like that they should make him wear a leather helmet.

Personally I think Stonebreaker has it beat.

5-0

Johnny Utah
11/27/2011, 11:57 PM
I think Coach Stoops is utilizing his talent, and if it is working, call it good!

Hopefully Coach Stoops is coming out from under the spell that Mike Leach put on him thinking that all you had to do was outscore the other team (preferably by only passing the ball), to be a championship caliber team. Recent history would suggest it takes defense, special teams, and a balanced offense to win it all.

DBrown
11/28/2011, 01:44 AM
Hopefully Coach Stoops is coming out from under the spell that Mike Leach put on him thinking that all you had to do was outscore the other team (preferably by only passing the ball), to be a championship caliber team. Recent history would suggest it takes defense, special teams, and a balanced offense to win it all.
How in the world did he let himself get so spellbound in the first place?? At least things are still fixable,if the staff'll get on the same page AND the players will make it a matter of PERSONAL PRIDE and say,"I'm giving Oklahoma my best ".

MamaMia
11/28/2011, 03:00 AM
When they bring Bell in, we've all seen it work. No, it doesn't work every single time, but nothing does. I believe that had we of used Landry to do what Bell does, that Landry Jones may very well be yet another player on our long list of injured. I am all for anything that works.

Sooner_Tuf
11/28/2011, 04:02 AM

As I read this I looked to the North and I swear I heard AD say WTF?

SicEmBaylor
11/28/2011, 04:13 AM
There are a few people in this thread who evidently know little about football and need to stick with discussing the latest World Cup playoffs in soccer.

llsooner7
11/28/2011, 05:16 AM
Its pretty disconcerting that Landry can't get the ball in the endzone (by air or ground) regularly these days. I have to think its psychological. The Belldozer did not look quite as unstoppable against Iowa State on Saturday. I agree, Stoops needs to get more creative with the package to ensure its success. Bell also has to prove that he has the poise to throw the ball in the formation.

SicEmBaylor
11/28/2011, 05:24 AM
Its pretty disconcerting that Landry can't get the ball in the endzone (by air or ground) regularly these days. I have to think its psychological. The Belldozer did not look quite as unstoppable against Iowa State on Saturday. I agree, Stoops needs to get more creative with the package to ensure its success. Bell also has to prove that he has the poise to throw the ball in the formation.

I think you're missing the entire point of the formation. Bell needs to prove himself as a passer, but not as part of the formation. The entire point of the formation is to "bulldoze" his way into the endzone.

I think Landry's redzone woes have more to do with the way the offense as a whole is tooled which is why Stoops brings in the bulldoze package. It's already "creative" enough as it is. The point isn't to get cute -- the point is to get a few yards.