PDA

View Full Version : I hope Landry Jones has a better day at OSU.

Dan Thompson
11/27/2011, 11:07 AM
He was 22 - 43 for the day. I was amazed at the number of times he threw the ball behind his receivers on crossing patters. I have noticed this in other games, but thought it was a difficult throw.

Is the absents of Ryan Broyles having this much of an impact? I can think of what it is, but I have a sense that there are some underlining problems within the team. I don't see the 'killer instinct' or swagger.

colleyvillesooner
11/27/2011, 11:09 AM
With the wind and the drops, I'll give him a pass. Dude has been clutch when we needed him to be. 4th quarter Baylor, 2nd half tech. I expect him to bring his A game, good enough to win. Now the defense...

rekamrettuB
11/27/2011, 11:10 AM
I'm sure not all throws were because of this but it was pretty darn windy. The absence of Broyles does hurt no doubt...I mean losin the all time leading receiver in NCAA history has to hurt a bit. Different timings, different routes (same routes run differently), and confidence of your go to guy.

OU_Sooners75
11/27/2011, 11:21 AM
Landry Jones = Nate Hybl.

Not great, but good enough to win some games.

OU_Sooners75
11/27/2011, 11:23 AM
With the wind and the drops, I'll give him a pass. Dude has been clutch when we needed him to be. 4th quarter Baylor, 2nd half tech. I expect him to bring his A game, good enough to win. Now the defense...

The wind didnt cause him to throw behind his WRs all game long. The wind didnt cause him to over throw his WRs a few times (one resulting in an INT) while throwing into the wind.

OU_Sooners75
11/27/2011, 11:24 AM
Has OU even thrown a TD pass since losing Broyles?

BoulderSooner79
11/27/2011, 11:39 AM
Ugly weather, ugly win. We still managed to double up ISU's total offense and they really didn't have a chance after the 2nd quarter. And ISU was on a winning streak due to good defensive play. Of LJ's 2 ints, 1 was a perfect pass to Jackson and the other was a bad read by LJ where the defense fooled him on the coverage. Didn't seem like anyone had a great day on offense, but our defense was excellent. Might have even got a shutout w/o the bad snap on the punt team.

BigTip
11/27/2011, 12:03 PM
I don't understand the logic stated above how it not being Broyles he was throwing to made a difference. Would Landry have connected with Broyles because Broyles was a half a step slower than everyone else that was thrown behind to yesterday?

Jones was just not on yesterday. He'll need to bring the A game next week.

rekamrettuB
11/27/2011, 12:16 PM
I don't understand the logic stated above how it not being Broyles he was throwing to made a difference. Would Landry have connected with Broyles because Broyles was a half a step slower than everyone else that was thrown behind to yesterday?

Jones was just not on yesterday. He'll need to bring the A game next week.

Then you've never played QB. I may be wrong but losing your top guy will have an effect on your confidence first and foremost. Secondly, WRs like Broyles and QBs like Jones may run different routes (depth, etc) depending on the defenses. Was Jones off yesterday? Yes. Was it due to Broyles being out? Maybe a bit. Was it due to wind? Probably a lot.

rekamrettuB
11/27/2011, 12:17 PM
The wind didnt cause him to throw behind his WRs all game long. The wind didnt cause him to over throw his WRs a few times (one resulting in an INT) while throwing into the wind.

Every play golf? Do you like playing with no wind or stiff wind that blows with you on 1 hole and directly against the next? It's hard to find a consistent swing because both are so different. Same thing applies when throwing a ball.

Soonerus
11/27/2011, 12:20 PM
The wind was ridiculous, I was surprised they could even complete passes against the wind...

OU_Sooners75
11/27/2011, 12:24 PM
Every play golf? Do you like playing with no wind or stiff wind that blows with you on 1 hole and directly against the next? It's hard to find a consistent swing because both are so different. Same thing applies when throwing a ball.

So now we are comparing throwing the ball behind someone with hitting a golf ball? Seriously?

There was plenty of wind...but it was blowing north to south not east to west. The wind on the field was not has heavy as it was up at the top of the stadium or at the top of the goal posts. the passes I saw thrown behind a WR was level throws that, well, were thrown behind the WR.

The two overthrown balls were thrown into the wind, not with the wind.

I am very well aware of the wind can make the ball travel or even push the ball. But the plays I saw wasn't because of the wind.

I guess it was windy against Baylor, TTU, KSU, and the other games this year. Jones has a knack of throwing behind or over our WRs.

sooneredaco
11/27/2011, 12:25 PM

^^
this

sooneredaco
11/27/2011, 12:26 PM

He's a better QB than Hybl IMO

Soonerus
11/27/2011, 12:27 PM

A lot better...

VA Sooner
11/27/2011, 12:30 PM
30 mph winds and gusts up to 40... even Sam would have a hard time against that kind of weather. Iowa State's defense is better than advertised... as the Pokes found out.

Losing Broyles hurts and having Reynolds on the sidelines for breaking team rules doesn't help but we won. Defense had a chance to iron out some things and hopefully Alexander's injury isn't going to hurt us next week in Bedlam.

The young ones need to step up... Brandon Williams had some great 10+ yard runs... averaged 7.9 per carry. Not bad.

The defense held Iowa State to it's lowest total yards since last year... when we played them in Ames.

Defense held them to one touchdown... and that one because of a very rare Winchester deep snap to Tress Way's left side... wind/weather? Who knows...

Bedlam will be different... everyone plays their guts out. Jefferson is back to full speed... we will definitely need Alexander, King and Washington to be well-rested to put pressure on Weeden. We will need our receivers to stop dropping catches... Stills, Miller, Reynolds and even Jackson. Need to bring the tight ends more so into the mix... Hanna usually has great hands but the rain and wind probably affected his catching ability. I'd like to see Millard carry the ball more. Give Ripkowski the ball on third and short.

We'll see how practices go and what injuries still prevail...

rekamrettuB
11/27/2011, 12:36 PM
So now we are comparing throwing the ball behind someone with hitting a golf ball? Seriously?

Seriously. Read and comprehend the comparison. Compare it to playing basketball outdoors then if that's easier for ya. Just ask Sidney Deane and Billy Hoyle.

Or lawn darts.

Or Cornhole...keep it clean.

Or wiffle ball.

BigTip
11/27/2011, 12:37 PM
I am just disappointed in Jones this year, the same way I am in the team. Such high expectations and potential at the beginning of the year, but coming up short.
Team - National Champions
Jones - Heisman winner

woulda coulda shoulda

But I say again, there are probably 110 FBS teams that would like the chance to suffer the "disappointments" of Heisman and National Champion contenders falling short, that we have had to "suffer" through.

yermom
11/27/2011, 12:40 PM

someone has a short memory.

and the wind was swirling. at times the flags at each end of the stadium were blowing in opposite directions. the recievers and Merv were talking about it after the game

BigTip
11/27/2011, 12:46 PM
Seriously. Read and comprehend the comparison. Compare it to playing basketball outdoors then if that's easier for ya. Just ask Sidney Deane and Billy Hoyle.

I got it. It made sense. Of course they say the wind will not effect a well struck ball, but I get what you are saying. But you are basically guessing when contending with the wind, just like throwing a football, golfing, or shooting baskets outside on a playground trying to hustle bets.

Lott's Bandana
11/27/2011, 12:48 PM
There was a pass in the 2nd quarter that came right at me. And yet, it didn't.

The ball arc'd horizontally at least two yards in the 20 yards it was in the air. Everyone around me saw it and there was an audible "wow" immediately afterwards.

My favorite was the kickoff at the end of the 2nd quarter that was dropping back towards the kicking team by the time it reached the ISU player trying to field it. Yesterday was a day of optical illusions that were actually real.

OU_Sooners75
11/27/2011, 12:51 PM

Or lawn darts.

Or Cornhole...keep it clean.

Or wiffle ball.

Because god knows that the wind blew so hard east to west that it created the ball to curve behind the WRs....LOL

Lets face it...his timing was off. if his timing was on, he would have hit the WRs on stride, like he did in some of his throws.

If this was the only game that he threw behind Wrs, I would buy the wind story...but it isn't. Every game...at least 5+ times he throws behind WRs.

@yermom....

What short term memory? Nate Hybl wa good for a few wins, but not a great QB.

BigTip
11/27/2011, 12:52 PM
Yesterday was a day of optical illusions that were actually real.

Huh?
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID22282/images/huh.jpg

lol!

rekamrettuB
11/27/2011, 12:55 PM
Because god knows that the wind blew so hard east to west that it created the ball to curve behind the WRs....LOL

Lets face it...his timing was off. if his timing was on, he would have hit the WRs on stride, like he did in some of his throws.

If this was the only game that he threw behind Wrs, I would buy the wind story...but it isn't. Every game...at least 5+ times he throws behind WRs.

So you want him to hit 70%+ completions? I mean he's at 64% right now. Pretty incredible receivers OU must have.

hawaii 5-0
11/27/2011, 12:58 PM
Let's remember the field at Stoolwater runs East to West, not North/South. Crosswinds will be a factor. Something Weeden has plenty of experience with.

5-0

yermom
11/27/2011, 01:13 PM

@yermom....

What short term memory? Nate Hybl wa good for a few wins, but not a great QB.

Hybl was secure with the ball in his best season, but he wasn't close to Landry on making deep throws. i don't want to bash Hybl, but Landry was a much more complete QB. i don't think he ever sniffed a 5-6TD game

VA Sooner
11/27/2011, 01:14 PM

VA Sooner
11/27/2011, 01:15 PM
Let's remember the field at Stoolwater runs East to West, not North/South. Crosswinds will be a factor. Something Weeden has plenty of experience with.

5-0

And pretty soon, Weeden will have a lot of the "Les Miles" experience... eating grass.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/27/2011, 01:18 PM

Absurd statement. The guy is a record setter. These losses had nothing to do with his play. We scored a lot of points in our losses.

olevetonahill
11/27/2011, 01:24 PM
Swirling wind gusts up to 45 MPH, Cold and wet which we havnt had yet this season so No chance to practice in it , Timing off, Cold hands, Dropped balls.
But it was still a W Ill take it

Breadburner
11/27/2011, 01:35 PM
Will the idiocy stop....!

olevetonahill
11/27/2011, 01:44 PM

Hell Our D gave up 6 points on a turn over we need to Fire every body fer that ****.

BigTip
11/27/2011, 01:58 PM

I've only been posting for five years here, so I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing uhhhh....no.

:sneakiness:

olevetonahill
11/27/2011, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=BigTip;3410929]I've only been posting for five years here, so I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing uhhhh....no.

:sneakiness:[/QUOTE

nOOb

One4OU
11/27/2011, 02:27 PM
His passes are not on target and haven' t been in several weeks...probably since Texas. While he still makes some great throws he has been off target; either high or behind for the most part the last several weeks.

While I agree the defense is not having a good year and has its issues the offense was part of the Texas Tech and Baylor losses. The direct effect of 3 and out over and over was a large factor in us digging a huge hole. We also had a lead in the Baylor game when the offense disappeared for several consecutive drives. This team is built for scoring not for defense so if you are expecting our defense to win the game it isnt going to happen. While the defense deserves its blame the offense should share it as well.

BigTip
11/27/2011, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=BigTip;3410929]I've only been posting for five years here, so I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing uhhhh....no.

:sneakiness:[/QUOTE

nOOb

At least I know how the quote feature works.

:biggrin:

Sooner91ATL
11/27/2011, 03:10 PM
I think Jones is better than Hybl. If you go back and watch some game film of Jason White, I think Jones compares favorably with Jason except Jason just threw the deep ball so well. But you will notice that Jason also had a lot of incompletions to go along with a lot of touchdowns, or so it seemed. I for one was so spoiled by Sam that it is hard to remember that human quarterbacks don't throw pinpoint touch balls directly to the perfect catch spot for the receiver, every play.

It is apparent that the loss of Broyles has deeply affected our offense. We have not been the same team since he went out. In college football, the margin between average and good is thin, and the margin between good and excellent is very thin. Just one player can make the difference. What if we would have had Curtis Lofton in the BCS title game versus Florida, for example. or Demarco Murray, for that matter.

Along with all the other injuries and losses of personnel this team has suffered this year (even before the season began), that margin we had has been erased.

olevetonahill
11/27/2011, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=BigTip;3410951][QUOTE=olevetonahill;3410935]

At least I know how the quote feature works.

:biggrin:[/QUOTE

WEll just give yerself 3 Gold stars :biggrin:

StoopTroup
11/27/2011, 03:34 PM

Good Call Stat guy....

StoopTroup
11/27/2011, 03:37 PM
This team is built for scoring not for defense so if you are expecting our defense to win the game it isnt going to happen. While the defense deserves its blame the offense should share it as well.

Thank Goodness we scored more than 6 points. Our Defense almost choked another one yesterday.

Johnny Utah
11/27/2011, 03:38 PM

Which should be good enough to have a good season if the defense, special teams, running game, etc are good enough to help win the other games. Haven't many of the last MNC's (and probably this one) been won by teams with game managers at QB?

Scott D
11/27/2011, 04:59 PM
Hell Our D gave up 6 points on a special teams turn over we need to Fire every body fer that ****.

;)

EatLeadCommie
11/27/2011, 05:19 PM
He wasn't completely on his game yesterday-- the one bad INT (his second one) was evidence of that. However, he had a TON of balls dropped. And yes, the loss of Broyles does matter quite a bit. So did the wind.

soonerloyal
11/27/2011, 05:30 PM
Swirling wind gusts up to 45 MPH, Cold and wet which we havnt had yet this season so No chance to practice in it , Timing off, Cold hands, Dropped balls.
But it was still a W Ill take it

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/WeatherForecastForB2011.png

StoopTroup
11/27/2011, 05:43 PM

Not until we have some graphs that prove it has to stop.

I Am Right
11/27/2011, 06:18 PM
I hope the receivers catch the Freaking ball

C&CDean
11/27/2011, 06:26 PM

There was plenty of wind...but it was blowing north to south not east to west. The wind on the field was not has heavy as it was up at the top of the stadium or at the top of the goal posts. the passes I saw thrown behind a WR was level throws that, well, were thrown behind the WR.

The two overthrown balls were thrown into the wind, not with the wind.

I am very well aware of the wind can make the ball travel or even push the ball. But the plays I saw wasn't because of the wind.

I guess it was windy against Baylor, TTU, KSU, and the other games this year. Jones has a knack of throwing behind or over our WRs.

Uh, dude, you weren't there. It was a lot windier in real life than in your living room.

Also, let's see, Stills had at least 3 drops, Finch had about 4, Jackson had a couple, and even Hanna dropped one or two. Yes, Landry has been throwing behind his guys a bit, but if it hits their effing hands, they oughta catch it. Broyles did.

I Am Right
11/27/2011, 06:32 PM
Uh, dude, you weren't there. It was a lot windier in real life than in your living room.

Also, let's see, Stills had at least 3 drops, Finch had about 4, Jackson had a couple, and even Hanna dropped one or two. Yes, Landry has been throwing behind his guys a bit, but if it hits their effing hands, they oughta catch it. Broyles did.

Good post

StoopTroup
11/27/2011, 06:34 PM
I haven't ever seen a stat sheet that included the Weather but I don't doubt that we might see one before next years Season.

It was so damn windy that after I crossed the street at Boyd and Jenkins on the way in that it almost knocked me off my feet.

I have no idea how you throw in wind that you can hardly walk in but it happened yesterday.

I called Vet once I got in to the game and told him to go pick up a ticket and come to the game because it was better inside the Stadium. By the time the first half was over....I changed my mind. The wind that hit right as the band was finishing up was as brutal as the wind that hit me at Boyd and Jenkins and it kept on throughout the game.

I don't usually mention weather as it's just as bad for one team as it was for another but if you try to use stats on a QB when you are sitting at Home....I will support exactly what Dean is saying. It sucked in the Stadium yesterday.

cleller
11/27/2011, 07:15 PM
Is there a graph of Landry's stats when Whitney is present, and when she's not?

MamaMia
11/27/2011, 07:30 PM
Champions don't make excuses about wind, rain, it being a night game, or it being an away game, snow, injuries, or whatever. Champions don't whine. They overcome those things and learn how to make any kind of play needed in spite of and during the conditions.

C&CDean
11/27/2011, 07:31 PM
Champions don't make excuses about wind, rain, it being a night game, or it being an away game, snow, injuries, or whatever. Champions don't whine. They overcome those things and learn how to make any kind of play needed in spite of and during the conditions.

****in' A!!

Did somebody make an excuse?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/27/2011, 07:37 PM
That wind moved around for sure..certain points it was just north and south and it wouldn't bother me and other times, it was right in the face..

MamaMia
11/27/2011, 07:40 PM
Is there a graph of Landry's stats when Whitney is present, and when she's not? She is always in his heart. Thats how that works. :)

TXBOOMER
11/27/2011, 08:19 PM
LJ is a really good QB. With a dominant defense that could have handled Tech and Baylor he would be getting more love. Did you all see Blake Bell's pass? I believe LJ will be back next year and that is a good thing for OU.

BoulderSooner79
11/27/2011, 09:24 PM
That wind moved around for sure..certain points it was just north and south and it wouldn't bother me and other times, it was right in the face..

You can't use that as an excuse - a real fan will overcome the elements. For instance, I watched the game in a hotel room where the TV was not as big as mine at home. But I stoically endured the situation.

StoopTroup
11/27/2011, 09:44 PM

We aren't champions though....we are just a bunch of bitches. I thought that's what I heard you say.

olevetonahill
11/27/2011, 09:52 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a14/KevAndLori/WeatherForecastForB2011.png

I saw that, Why I think Bob should have the team out practicing at night this week .

MamaMia
11/28/2011, 03:29 PM
We aren't champions though....we are just a bunch of bitches. I thought that's what I heard you say.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/smilies/coffee.gif We are Baylor and Texas Techs bitches. All the teams we beat this year are our bitches. Tulsa...our bitches. Florida State, Ball State? They are also our bitches. Missouri, Kansas, Iowa State, Texas A&M; yes, they are also our bitches.

We are also the Champions of the Red River Shootout and hopefully we will also be the Bedlam Champs and thus, the Conference Champs, because I am in no mood after having to be Baylor and Texas Texas bitches, (in our own home no less) to end the year becoming oSus bitches.

Now, you are my bitch. Go make me a sammich! ...watercress and cream cheese; and don't forget to cut off the crust! He he he

C&CDean
11/28/2011, 03:37 PM
You got bitch-slapped Greg. Heh.

3rdgensooner
11/28/2011, 03:37 PM
Even with a win this Saturday, OSU has a long way to go before they're not our bitches.

picasso
11/28/2011, 03:53 PM
Dude, comparing Jones to Hybl? That's flat out silly.

cvsooner
11/28/2011, 04:03 PM
Landry had a mostly great game last year. So did Hanna, Kenney, Broyles, Murray and Jimmy Stevens. Let's hope for another one. Two of those people are still here....

I do wish Landry would run the ball once in a while though. He was looking for an end zone throw once this weekend and he could've practically crawled into the end zone...wide open lane just to the left of the pocket. I couldn't believe he still attempted the throw and didn't run it.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/28/2011, 04:05 PM
Saw that..That was after the 1st TO I think

kevpks
11/28/2011, 04:10 PM
I don't think Landry needs to win this game for us. He just needs to avoid the big mistake and keep drives moving. Controlling the line of scrimmage on offense and defense, Williams' downhill running, the Belldozer, and a few Finch moves will win this game. We grind this one out and rush for 250+.

Partial Qualifier
11/28/2011, 04:16 PM
I sat high in the northeast corner of the stadium until the start of the 3rd quarter, then we moved down to the 2nd row of the student section for the rest of the game. I can tell you the wind was way, way stronger down near the field.

The wind in and of itself was definitely a factor, but Landry did more double-pumps than I've ever seen him do. He was a little off and maybe he was second-guessing himself because of the wind, but more likely he just doesn't quite have the feel and timing yet for Broyles' replacement.

cvsooner
11/28/2011, 04:16 PM
No turnovers, get good pressure on Weeden, stuff their running game, no penalties, control the clock and we win.

cvsooner
11/28/2011, 04:19 PM
The wind in and of itself was definitely a factor, but Landry did more double-pumps than I've ever seen him do. He was a little off and maybe he was second-guessing himself because of the wind, but more likely he just doesn't quite have the feel and timing yet for Broyles' replacement. Stoops said in today's teleconference that the timing is off between LJ and whoever is replacing Broyles at a given point. But all season he's regularly thrown a little behind his target. Broyles was making those catches. Others...not so much. And I really do not know what the heck is going on with Kenny Stills. He's in a funk and a half, for some reason. Reynolds should be back this week, and hopefully he, Miller and Hanna prove to be reliable. Throw in some Roy Finch and Brandon Williams (and Trey Franks? Hang on to the dang ball!) and it should be an interesting game.

C&CDean
11/28/2011, 04:19 PM
I'll bet if we score more points than them we might win.

cvsooner
11/28/2011, 04:20 PM
Saw that..That was after the 1st TO I thinkIf memory serves it was in the first quarter.

cvsooner
11/28/2011, 04:20 PM
I'll bet if we score more points than them we might win.Yeah. What he said.

swardboy
11/28/2011, 04:45 PM
I read that last Saturday's wind was a constant 30 mph with gusts over 40 mph. As a former college qb I can say that.is.absolute.hell. to throw a football in. It's a testament to the coaches' faith in Landry that they had him firing away in it.

Ton Loc
11/28/2011, 05:05 PM

You know who does make excuses?

Fans and Students that don't come to the games.

StoopTroup
11/28/2011, 08:03 PM
You got bitch-slapped Greg. Heh.

My Gawd it took a Woman to do it and only after I led her into a blind corner alley....LMAO. I knew none of you chode chokers was gonna get close. LOL. :D ;)

I'm gonna read what she said now.

I Am Right
11/28/2011, 08:06 PM
Is there a graph of Landry's stats when Whitney is present, and when she's not?

Thats what I am talking about.

StoopTroup
11/28/2011, 08:16 PM
OK I read it now. I think she's tried to say that same thing around 3 times now. Im pretty sure she gonna get balony sammies. Maybe a pickle loaf for Baylor shoving off on the last play. That game should have been settled in OT instead the refs didn't make the call. We've been through this like 4 times. 2 FGs in the Tech game change the outcome of that one too. Our Senior FG Kicker leaves us a Freshman to cover. Meh. Our LBs were out hurt. Short in the secondary too. Yeah we should have won that too. They spoiled our year. If anyone of them was gonna walk off with a Big XII Championship....I'd buy the whole bitch scenario. Thing is they have a decent win against a great Team. If she wants to be their bitch. I'm fine with it. Not me and I'm sure our Players and Coaches don't feel like a bunch of bitches. I've told her she should go down to the Athletic Dorms and explain it to them. Maybe they will make her a Sammie. LMAO.

Having to repeat this **** for the slow is getting pretty old.

C&CDean
11/28/2011, 08:26 PM
No, bitch, you're gonna make a watercress and cream cheese sammie with no crusts and you're gonna ****ing like it!

GottaHavePride
11/28/2011, 08:43 PM
Watercress? Sounds like something you find clinging to the bottom of a fishing boat.

Seamus
11/28/2011, 10:12 PM

A lot better...

This ^^^