PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else sad that the NBA reached and a labor agreement?

Fraggle145
11/26/2011, 07:32 PM
The NBA sucks. I know the Thunder were good for OKC. But the NBA sucks. Boring *** game. And it takes away from the end of football season. More games could be on TV if it wasnt for the NBA taking up good air time (NASCAR too for that matter).

TUSooner
11/26/2011, 07:38 PM
I sure could live without the NBA; but I guess I'll be sorta happy it's back, for the sake of its pathetic loser fans. That's just because I'm a genereous and wonderful guy.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/26/2011, 07:47 PM
Can I be gay and ALSO think the NBA sucks bawls?

nighttrain12
11/26/2011, 07:52 PM

That would have been the more accurate poll question.

Fraggle145
11/26/2011, 08:13 PM

With your one pole you can... :hot:

Peach Fuzz
11/26/2011, 08:39 PM
PROUD!

GDC
11/26/2011, 11:09 PM
What is this "NBA" you speak of?

SanJoaquinSooner
11/26/2011, 11:13 PM
http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/blake-griffin-middle-finger-and-girlfriend.jpg

Blake Griffin sends you a message about your poll.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/26/2011, 11:23 PM
I am very happy that the owners did not cave in and give players, who average $5 million per year in guaranteed money, what they wanted.

basketball does not compare to college football or the NFL. The game is inherently flawed. There is no way to be consistent in calling fouls.

However, I am happy there will be an NBA season. As flawed as the game is, it often produces some good end-of-game drama. If one team is within single digits of the other team in the last five minutes of the game, it can be great to watch.

It's like other spectator sports in that if you get to know the players on a team and come to understand how it's a game of match-ups, it makes watching it much more enjoyable.

oumartin
11/27/2011, 12:08 AM
I'm ready to THUNDER UP!!

I Am Right
11/27/2011, 11:06 AM
Who cares!

Fraggle145
11/27/2011, 12:25 PM
However, I am happy there will be an NBA season. As flawed as the game is, it often produces some good end-of-game drama. If one team is within single digits of the other team in the last five minutes of the game, it can be great to watch.

This is one of the things that sucks about the game... the last 30 seconds takes an hour as one team or the other or both teams just foul the **** out of each other and trade foul shots... BORING

Peach Fuzz
11/27/2011, 03:51 PM
That's how I feel about college bball, but I'll watch the **** out of NBA.

oudivesherpa
11/27/2011, 05:45 PM
Is that the game where 10 guys jump up in the air every 24 seconds?

StoopTroup
11/27/2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah....what is NBA? National Batter Association? Is this another thread about Waffle makers?

StoopTroup
11/27/2011, 06:00 PM
http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/blake-griffin-middle-finger-and-girlfriend.jpg

The girl that's dressed like a bee....this dat da herpe?

cleller
11/28/2011, 09:21 AM

These girls are ready for Griffin to make some more money.

jk the sooner fan
11/28/2011, 09:47 AM
i think the Thunder is good for OKC - the city supported the team really well and they're a team on the rise - so yes - i'm glad the NBA is back

besides, as a Mavs fan - I get to see the Championship banner raised!

NBA professional athletes arent any different than the other sports, they're all spoiled and want to get paid more than they're worth....

kbsooner21
11/28/2011, 09:49 AM
So pumped the NBA is back! Wooohoooo

Ton Loc
11/28/2011, 10:25 AM
The NBA sucks. I know the Thunder were good for OKC. But the NBA sucks. Boring *** game. And it takes away from the end of football season. More games could be on TV if it wasnt for the NBA taking up good air time (NASCAR too for that matter).

You lose all arguments with your inclusion of nascar - it is the soccer of auto racing.

I'm glad the NBA season is back. I'm glad insanely super rich guys worked out their problems with super rich guys.

I think its dumb that anyone can choose sides between the two.

SoonerTerry
11/28/2011, 01:26 PM

JEBUS!!! thats a big herpie

Fraggle145
11/28/2011, 02:50 PM
You lose all arguments with your inclusion of nascar - it is the soccer of auto racing.

I'm glad the NBA season is back. I'm glad insanely super rich guys worked out their problems with super rich guys.

I think its dumb that anyone can choose sides between the two.

I just wish they wouldnt have any of their races on Saturday. More races on Sunday! More college football on tv!!! Hell I mean you can only get 1-2 NFL games anyway without some sort of grandiose cable package.

Fraggle145
11/28/2011, 02:50 PM

WTF is that?

kbsooner21
11/28/2011, 03:44 PM
I just wish they wouldnt have any of their races on Saturday. More races on Sunday! More college football on tv!!! Hell I mean you can only get 1-2 NFL games anyway without some sort of grandiose cable package.

What was there 2, maybe 3 races on during football? Plus there are still games on 17 other channels :D

marfacowboy
11/28/2011, 04:33 PM
I didn't really become much of an NBA fan until a couple of years ago. New, exciting teams like OKC and Memphis got me interested, particularly that emerging rivalry. It means a lot to the people that work at the arenas and have jobs around the arenas, so I'm happy for those people. The NBA may not have the spirit of the college game, but the game itself is so far ahead of the college game it's unbelievable.

NormanPride
11/28/2011, 04:40 PM
F the NBA

8timechamps
11/28/2011, 04:40 PM
I haven't missed it at all. Here's the way the sporting calendar looks:

Jan-March: College Hoops
April -August: Nascar/a little baseball (very little)
September - December: Football (with a little college hoops)

The End.

Ton Loc
11/28/2011, 04:57 PM
I don't understand the hate for the NBA.
The city makes a crapload of money with every game.
Its played at a much higher level than college basketball.
And OKC has good guys on and off the court.

Fraggle145
11/28/2011, 05:03 PM
I don't understand the hate for the NBA.
The city makes a crapload of money with every game.
Its played at a much higher level than college basketball.
And OKC has good guys on and off the court.

I'm glad for what they do for OKC. But the games themselves arent that exciting. And it starts too early. Start after xmas and not during cfb season and I'd probably dislike them a lot less.

Ton Loc
11/28/2011, 05:29 PM
You could just not watch until then and this year you almost get your wish.

SoonerLaw09
11/28/2011, 05:34 PM
Haters gonna hate...

salth2o
11/28/2011, 05:36 PM
Really DGAS! I never watch that mess.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/28/2011, 08:30 PM
back-to-back-to-back games! They might actually use the 12th man on the bench for a couple of minutes.

jk the sooner fan
11/29/2011, 09:48 AM
whether you're a fan of the NBA or not - why would anybody be against something that brings revenue to the city - and brings the people together?

a new kind of stupid...

C&CDean
11/29/2011, 10:13 AM
I like the Thunder, but I pretty much hate the NBA. Not for the reasons Fraggle listed though. I hate it because there's a crapload of guys who can't even spell NBA playing ball for millions of $$ and whining that they're not getting paid enough. In the real world, these guys couldn't flip a burger at Wendy's and would more than likely be on welfare and food stamps. The whole thug/bling thing turns me the hell off.

OULenexaman
11/29/2011, 12:33 PM
once upon a time it as fun to watch.....Larry Bird.....Kevin McHale...Bill Laimbeer.....not anymore. Just street thugs.

marfacowboy
11/29/2011, 01:20 PM
I like the Thunder, but I pretty much hate the NBA. Not for the reasons Fraggle listed though. I hate it because there's a crapload of guys who can't even spell NBA playing ball for millions of $$ and whining that they're not getting paid enough. In the real world, these guys couldn't flip a burger at Wendy's and would more than likely be on welfare and food stamps. The whole thug/bling thing turns me the hell off.

This is such blatant racism it makes me sick to my stomach. A gross generalization and outright ignorance. These guys are getting ahead in our oh-so-wonderful capitalist system. They figured out a way to make a lot of money playing a game they love. And many of them pour money back into their communities.

OULenexaman
11/29/2011, 01:31 PM
might have been....but pretty damn funny.

stoopified
11/29/2011, 01:36 PM
Anybody who thinks that being happy the THUNDER is back is a ghey thing or a bad thing in ANY way can kiss my a$$.I love the THUNDER.

OULenexaman
11/29/2011, 01:40 PM
did ya love em when they were the supersonics??

C&CDean
11/29/2011, 01:48 PM
This is such blatant racism it makes me sick to my stomach. A gross generalization and outright ignorance. These guys are getting ahead in our oh-so-wonderful capitalist system. They figured out a way to make a lot of money playing a game they love. And many of them pour money back into their communities.

Did it really make you sick? To your stomach? Did you vomit even? Meh. Blow me even.

Spare me your faux racial outrage. It is what it is. And when they're done blowing their millions on bling/cars/cribs/bitches who's gonna take care of them? It's very sadly few who manage to maintain their riches beyond their playing days. It's because of stupidity/lack of guidance/upbringing, not because of whatever race they are. There's plenty of broke ex-white jocks too.

Fraggle145
11/29/2011, 04:19 PM

Not really. Why did David Stern have to implement a dress code? Because of the thug/bling syndrome that is rampant in the NBA. Your post is the reason I didnt mention this in the original post. But the thug/bling thing is a definite turn off too.

Ton Loc
11/29/2011, 04:40 PM
Did it really make you sick? To your stomach? Did you vomit even? Meh. Blow me even.

Spare me your faux racial outrage. It is what it is. And when they're done blowing their millions on bling/cars/cribs/bitches who's gonna take care of them? It's very sadly few who manage to maintain their riches beyond their playing days. It's because of stupidity/lack of guidance/upbringing, not because of whatever race they are. There's plenty of broke ex-white jocks too.

Not really. Why did David Stern have to implement a dress code? Because of the thug/bling syndrome that is rampant in the NBA. Your post is the reason I didnt mention this in the original post. But the thug/bling thing is a definite turn off too.

How the hell do you guys watch the NFL? (or pretty much any other sport)

Fraggle145
11/29/2011, 05:08 PM

I dont.

Edit: Or I rarely do... I'm not big on the endzone dancing crap either. Spikes are okay. Also the thug/bling thing is much less prevalent in the NFL.

C&CDean
11/29/2011, 05:40 PM

There's a part of the NFL that bugs the **** outta me too. All the jive-assed bullcrap that guys like Icky and Michael Irvin started way back when. I hate it. Even the effing Lambeau Leap - although it's not all "in yo face bitch" like all the other crap them guys do after every first down, tackle, sack, or TD.

My biggest problem with the NBA is players like Iverson, Kobe, and LeBron. It's all me. Me. Me. Me.

Baseball? Don't see any of that chump crap. I like baseball a lot. Could you imagine what would happen if Pujols did the Icky Shuffle after knocking one out? The next guy up would get killed by a 100mph fastball. They police themselves pretty well in MLB.

Ton Loc
11/29/2011, 06:19 PM
Meh...baseball sucks. Foreign dudes, giant salaries, slow boring game (unless you're there), too many games, too many fat dudes, worst athletes of all contact sports, they've got plenty of me, me, me guys (some are even managers), fat managers in uniform, etc.

However, they can throw a ball at each other and they can clear the benches- which is nice because I enjoy the in game policing.

The NBA has their problems, but guys being thugs is not one of them. The NFL far and away has them beat at that. I wish they could get into fights and be more physical, but the league has so much control over them that anything past a stare down is an automatic fine and can lead to suspensions. Control is what led to the lockout. The money was secondary.

cleller
11/29/2011, 06:22 PM
This thread has taken a turn I can support. I used to love the NFL as a kid in the 60's, 70's. At least half of the guys were what I'd call men. Not anymore.
The NBA is the absolute worst of the bunch. Paint them all one color and watch their behavior. Atrocious for the most part.

The NFL used to have guys like Franco Harris, Harold Carmichael, etc in droves. Men. Not anymore.

Ton Loc
11/29/2011, 06:31 PM
This thread has taken a turn I can support. I used to love the NFL as a kid in the 60's, 70's. At least half of the guys were what I'd call men. Not anymore.
The NBA is the absolute worst of the bunch. Paint them all one color and watch their behavior. Atrocious for the most part.

The NFL used to have guys like Franco Harris, Harold Carmichael, etc in droves. Men. Not anymore.

Please provide an example to where the NBA is the worst. Try to keep it within the last five years.

During the lockout the superstars of the NBA played and setup charity game after charity game while guys like KD interacted with tons of people through social networking and just being plain social. Not a lot of news about them getting arrested and thuggin it up.

cleller
11/29/2011, 08:50 PM
Please provide an example to where the NBA is the worst. Try to keep it within the last five years.

During the lockout the superstars of the NBA played and setup charity game after charity game while guys like KD interacted with tons of people through social networking and just being plain social. Not a lot of news about them getting arrested and thuggin it up.

I really don't feel like wasting a lot of time with this. Not trying to sound like I'm talking down to you, but you must have not been exposed to professional sports pre-1980 or so. For anyone who was around then, all it takes it turning on the TV to see that pro athletes today are much less admirable than they were up till the 80's or 90's. Not that they were saints then, you just didn't worry about kids watching them occasionally.

When you watch an NBA game, is it not apparent to you that many of the players display anger and hate for no apparent reason? They fight, argue, demonstrate in a cartoonish manner. You may be desensitized if this is all you've ever seen.

As a rule I avoid the NBA and NFL for these reasons. Just a few minutes with a couple google terms serves up a list of players associated with violence, poor sportsmanship, criminality, guns, etc:
Lamar Odom
Andrew Bynum
Carmelo Anthony
Stephen Jackson
Zach Randolph
Gilbert Arenas
Jayson Williams
Paul Pierce
Delonte West
J R Smith
Jamaal Tinsley
Nate Robinson
Chris Anderson
Rasheed Wallace
Marcus Camby
Javaris Crittendon-murder
Kendrick Perkins
Darius Miles
Michael Beasley
Deshawn Stevenson
Isiah Rider
Of course your've got the Kobe Bryant saga
Lebron James is a big fat ego-maniac
Allen Iverson is a whole book unto himself

Some kid did a school project on violence on the NBA courts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NjG6IeU3uM

The NBA all-thug team: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/487013-nba-all-thug-team

What originated as a Forbes story on criminality in the NBA:
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2010/01/nba-is-full-of-thugs-and-heres-rap/

And a book (more than 5 years old, though) called Out of Bounds: Inside the NBA's Culture of Rape, Violence, and Crime
http://www.amazon.com/Out-Bounds-Inside-Culture-Violence/dp/0060726024

This was just a scratch on the surface from a disinterested observer.
I'm sure someone can build defenses or excuses for some of these guys, but its just to much to put up with. They can play some charity games if they think it helps their profile, but just watching most of them is painful.

Kevin Durant seems like a good guy. Wish there were more like him.

Fraggle145
11/29/2011, 09:45 PM
The NFL far and away has them beat at that. I wish they could get into fights and be more physical, but the league has so much control over them that anything past a stare down is an automatic fine and can lead to suspensions. Control is what led to the lockout. The money was secondary.

But they are also much more diluted. So although they may have more than the NBA it is more diluted by the fact that they have 100s of more players that arent being dooshtits.

GDC
11/29/2011, 10:50 PM

I wouldn't use Franco Harris as a positive example of anything after he came out in support of Paterno.

cleller
11/29/2011, 11:09 PM
Art Shell, Joe Greene, Gene Upshaw?

SanJoaquinSooner
11/29/2011, 11:45 PM
there are 700 other channels to watch if you guys don't like the NBA.

Ton Loc
11/30/2011, 09:22 AM
I really don't feel like wasting a lot of time with this. Not trying to sound like I'm talking down to you, but you must have not been exposed to professional sports pre-1980 or so. For anyone who was around then, all it takes it turning on the TV to see that pro athletes today are much less admirable than they were up till the 80's or 90's. Not that they were saints then, you just didn't worry about kids watching them occasionally....

Kevin Durant seems like a good guy. Wish there were more like him.

I'm not going to waste anymore time on it either. You're an older guy locked into his opinions. No problem. I'm sure I'll be that way soon enough.

I will say this though. Professional sports players (NBA. NFL, MLB, etc) get arrested and into trouble less than the common citizen. Basically they get arrested at half the rate of the rest of society. So they got that going for them.

marfacowboy
11/30/2011, 09:34 AM

It's just different now. There were plenty of low life's back in the 60's and the 70's, even in the NFL. Lyle Alzado. John "The Bull" Bramlett once pissed on an old woman standing at a bus stop. He was in fist fights damn near every week. In the 1959 (?) game between Syracuse and Texas with Ernie Davis. Davis was punched in piles, called a you-know-what, basically brutalized. Who's the thug? Sure wasn't the black guy.
There's always been thugs and unsavory people in professional sports. You just don't like the current players because they're culturally different from you. People often get uncomfortable and resist things that are different.
I don't like a lot of the grandstanding. Dancing and some of the other stuff. I'm old school. Give the ball back to the ref and act like you've been there before. I know what you're talking about. But you shouldn't disparage an entire league because of a few bad apples.
I don't blame these guys from getting ahead any way they can. A lot of them grew up without dads, went to crap schools and have about as much chance as getting an Economics degree from OU or Texas as the man on the moon. They're not getting hired at Haynes and Boone. They're making it however they can.

SoonerTerry
11/30/2011, 09:51 AM
WTF is that?

That herpie is on its way to takin over her face!!!

SoonerTerry
11/30/2011, 10:02 AM
Every profession has its low lifes.. the NFL and NBA just happen to be on TV every week

cleller
11/30/2011, 10:58 AM
I'm not going to waste anymore time on it either. You're an older guy locked into his opinions. No problem. I'm sure I'll be that way soon enough.

I will say this though. Professional sports players (NBA. NFL, MLB, etc) get arrested and into trouble less than the common citizen. Basically they get arrested at half the rate of the rest of society. So they got that going for them.

I'm fine with your sticking with your opinions, too. I never liked being preached at either. I've seen the story about how NFL players are actually arrested less often than the population as a whole. I guess I subscribe to the "to whom much is given, of him much shall be required" idea. No one expects anyone to be required to act civilized anymore, though.

So anyway, I don't like what I see, so I turn it off. If you like it, watch it. Maybe when you get older and/or crankier, you'll turn it off too. I imagine society and sports are in a lockstep decline, so it will never improve.