PDA

View Full Version : OU Bowl Scenario

Sooner5030
11/26/2011, 05:07 PM
Beat OSU:

Fiesta vs. _________

Loss next week

Cotton vs. Arkansas

not bad either way....just can't figure who the fiesta would select after the sugar makes their selection. Stanford, Houston?

Dwight
11/26/2011, 05:10 PM
OU will trash Houston and Stanford.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/26/2011, 05:10 PM
Fiesta vs. Ditka

soonercastor
11/26/2011, 05:13 PM
Lose

Cotton vs. Arkansas

Lol No.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/26/2011, 05:14 PM
I want the BCS obviously
but

but I'd love a game in Dallas vs Arky

soonercastor
11/26/2011, 05:18 PM
but I'd love a game in Dallas vs Arky

This is close to impossible. A loss would mean we end 3rd or 4th in the conferece ==> no cotton bowl.

Sooner5030
11/26/2011, 05:20 PM
This is close to impossible. A loss would mean we end 3rd or 4th in the conferece ==> no cotton bowl.

but i thought the cotton gets the second pick.....not that they are stuck with the #2 team.

Sooner5030
11/26/2011, 05:25 PM
so depending on what happens next week with ISU, Baylor and KSU we go to either the cotton, alamo, or insight.....if we lose to OSU.

Cotton vs Arkie
Alamo vs. Stanford/ASU
Insight vs. UNL

SoonerinSouthlake
11/26/2011, 06:08 PM
Depressing for this team if they lose to aggy

not as depressing as losses to 2 unranked teams

besides oSU has a lot of choke in them....I think we win

Speck
11/26/2011, 06:13 PM
not as depressing as losses to 2 unranked teams

besides oSU has a lot of choke in them....I think we win

That is only one. Baylor was ranked.

Sooner98
11/26/2011, 06:18 PM
OU will trash Houston and Stanford.

How would Andrew Luck and Case Keenum do anything but annihlate our secondary beyond recognition?

8timechamps
11/26/2011, 06:20 PM
Don't count ISU out of beating KSU. ISU is a scrappy team, and have already shown they can play with good teams. So, a loss to OSU wouldn't completely ruin a Cotton Bowl bid. However, we will beat the Pokes and go to the Fiesta vs Houston.

Sooner5030
11/26/2011, 06:22 PM
I just thought the fiesta would select Houston based on geography and offense. But haven't thought through every scenario. Maybe the fiesta goes with BSU?

8timechamps
11/26/2011, 06:23 PM
I just thought the fiesta would select Houston based on geography and offense. But haven't thought through every scenario. Maybe the fiesta goes with BSU?

That's my assumption too. I haven't really looked at the potential pairings, but Boise could be in danger of getting left out.

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 06:50 PM
Win, yes Fiesta.

Loss? I have a hard time thinking the Cotton Bowl will select us at 9-3 and ranked 16th or something BUT they could based on logistics.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/26/2011, 06:51 PM
DITKA

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 06:51 PM
That's my assumption too. I haven't really looked at the potential pairings, but Boise could be in danger of getting left out.

I typed out the BCS rules in another thread..I think Houston will have a better chance at going to the Sugar bowl based on the selection process. Sugar bowl is going to have to fill 2 spots with at-large teams, they'll pick first, but on the way back they may HAVE to select Houston. Houston with a ConfUSA title win, will qualify as an AQ bid.

8timechamps
11/26/2011, 06:57 PM
I typed out the BCS rules in another thread..I think Houston will have a better chance at going to the Sugar bowl based on the selection process. Sugar bowl is going to have to fill 2 spots with at-large teams, they'll pick first, but on the way back they may HAVE to select Houston. Houston with a ConfUSA title win, will qualify as an AQ bid.

I went back and looked at the selection procedures, and if I'm reading this part right:

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year. (Note: a second team may be eligible for at-large eligibility as noted below.) If two or more teams from those conferences satisfy the provisions for an automatic berth, then the team with the highest finish in the final BCS Standings will receive the automatic berth, and the remaining team or teams will be considered for at-large selection if it meets the criteria.

It looks like Houston and Boise should both get bids. Or am I reading it wrong?

bluedogok
11/26/2011, 06:57 PM
Boise didn't win their conference, TCU did and they are ranked 19. There is almost no chance of Boise making a BCS game. For a non-AQ conference school to get a BCS bid they pretty much have to be undefeated. Most bowls would take another AQ conference school over a non-AQ with a loss.

8timechamps
11/26/2011, 07:04 PM
Boise didn't win their conference, TCU did and they are ranked 19. There is almost no chance of Boise making a BCS game. For a non-AQ conference school to get a BCS bid they pretty much have to be undefeated. Most bowls would take another AQ conference school over a non-AQ with a loss.

True, I forgot that Boise's loss was a conference loss. Looking at the rankings and bowl selection process, it looks like Stanford could be a match for the Fiesta.

sooner59
11/26/2011, 07:05 PM

You are correct. Houston wins and they are basically a lock for the Sugar Bowl against whoever they pick first...which will be interesting. I assume the Sugar Bowl picks Bama if they get left out of the MNC, or they pick up Arky if the MNC is LSU/Bama. Of course that all hinges on LSU beating Georgia. If Georgia wins, they go to the Sugar. Then the Fiesta could pick Stanford, Michigan and an array of other teams without having to take Houston. Hell, they could take K-State or S. Carolina...depending on how they finish up. Boise State is not getting a BCS game, so you can forget about that right now. Will likely look like this:

Rose Bowl: Oregon vs. Wisconsin/Mich. St. winner

Orange Bowl: Va. Tech/Clemson winner vs. Louisville (yuck)

Sugar Bowl: Arky or Georgia vs. Houston

Fiesta Bowl: OU/OSU winner vs. Stanford or Michigan

MNC: LSU vs. Bama

Sooner5030
11/26/2011, 07:09 PM

Can three teams from the SEC go?

I think Arkie is locked into the cotton bowl from this point on based on bama beating allbarn and the hogs losing today.

soonercastor
11/26/2011, 07:11 PM
I assume the Sugar Bowl picks Bama if they get left out of the MNC, or they pick up Arky if the MNC is LSU/Bama.

Lol what? Arky Can not make a BCS game at this point. If LSU wins then the SEC can ONLY have 2 teams, if LSU loses then the third SEC team is automatically Georgia.

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 07:12 PM
How would Andrew Luck and Case Keenum do anything but annihlate our secondary beyond recognition?

I think the key here is how good are their O'lines are. I do not see Houston's being able to slow us down. get to the QB and you can beat these teams.

8timechamps
You are correct. Houston wins and they are basically a lock for the Sugar Bowl against whoever they pick first...which will be interesting. I assume the Sugar Bowl picks Bama if they get left out of the MNC, or they pick up Arky if the MNC is LSU/Bama. Of course that all hinges on LSU beating Georgia. If Georgia wins, they go to the Sugar. Then the Fiesta could pick Stanford, Michigan and an array of other teams without having to take Houston. Hell, they could take K-State or S. Carolina...depending on how they finish up. Boise State is not getting a BCS game, so you can forget about that right now. Will likely look like this:

This is where I am unclear about the BCS. I thought there was no way 3 teams from the same conference could be in the BCS per this bylaw:

No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections, unless two non-champions from the same conference are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings

Given that, I think the Sugar will have to take a non-SEC team, maybe the loser of the Wisconsin/Michigan game?

soonercastor
Can three teams from the SEC go?

I think Arkie is locked into the cotton bowl from this point on.

Yes and yes.

8timechamps
11/26/2011, 07:13 PM
Yes and yes.

(see above) It looks like only three teams can go if they are non-champions and finish 1 or 2 in the final BCS standings. That would leave Arkansas out.

soonercastor
11/26/2011, 07:15 PM
This is where I am unclear about the BCS. I thought there was no way 3 teams from the same conference could be in the BCS per this bylaw:

Given that, I think the Sugar will have to take a non-SEC team, maybe the loser of the Wisconsin/Michigan game?

the rules says three teams can get in IF neither team in the MNC won their coneference (and are from the same conference).

As for the Mich St/Wisconsin loser, it won't be in the BCS with 3 losses; the other team that will be in the running is Michigan.

jk the sooner fan
if we lose to aggie - i think the issue is which bowl game aggie plays in - if the bcs gods fall on them and they play for the crystal football - then the fiesta bowl would take the #2 team - leaving us to possibly fall to the cotton bowl

thats how i understand it anyway - if aggy falls to the fiesta - we're probably headed for san antonio

soonercastor
(see above) It looks like only three teams can go if they are non-champions and finish 1 or 2 in the final BCS standings. That would leave Arkansas out.

That's why I said yes to "arkie is locked into the cotton bowl"...

GDC
11/26/2011, 07:17 PM
Heard Fiesta and Orange might swap?

Sooner5030
so arkie has to face either OSU, OU or KSU?

I don't see them matching up well against any of those teams. their QB is a pocket passer.

8timechamps
the rules says three teams can get in IF neither team in the MNC won their coneference (and are from the same conference).

As for the Mich St/Wisconsin loser, it won't be in the BCS with 3 losses; the other team that will be in the running is Michigan.

True.

That's why I said yes to "arkie is locked into the cotton bowl"...

Gotcha.

Sooner5030
11/26/2011, 07:21 PM
never thought of the scenario of we beat OSU and they STILL get an at large bid. That'd be good money split for the B12 bc we could get 8 teams to bowls.

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 07:21 PM
Its pretty cut and dry..

No more than two teams from a conference may be selected, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large selections, unless two non-champions from the same conference are ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the final BCS Standings.

LSU beats GA, then it's LSU/BAMA in NC Arkansas cannot receive a BCS bid.

If GA beats LSU, then GA goes to Sugar and LSU/BAMA can still play in NC game but only if ranked 1/2 otherwise LSU would go to Cotton bowl because the 2 teams from a Conf rule would kick in.

soonercastor
11/26/2011, 07:24 PM
otherwise LSU would go to Cotton bowl because the 2 teams from a Conf rule would kick in.

You mean Bama. No way in hell voters unanimously put 12-1 LSU team that beat 11-1 Bama team in their own house behind Bama in the polls.

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 07:25 PM
Heard Fiesta and Orange might swap?

They can if they both agree. I have not heard of anything though.

5. After completion of the selection process as described in Paragraph Nos. 1-4, the conferences and Notre Dame may, but are not required to, adjust the pairings taking into consideration the following:

A. whether the same team will be playing in the same bowl game for two consecutive years;
B. whether two teams that played against one another in the regular season will be paired against one another in a bowl game;
C. whether the same two teams will play against each other in a bowl game for two consecutive years; and
D. whether alternative pairings may have greater or lesser appeal to college football fans as measured by expected ticket sales for the bowls and by expected television interest, and the consequent financial impact on Fox and the bowls.
The pairings may not be altered by removing the Big Ten Champion or Pac-12 champion from the Rose Bowl.

I Am Right
11/26/2011, 07:27 PM
I would go to either, prefer fiesta bowl, better golf

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 07:28 PM
You mean Bama. No way in hell voters unanimously put 12-1 LSU team that beat 11-1 Bama team in their own house behind Bama in the polls.

Well that scenario would require LSU to drop to #3 or worse, which honestly is not going to happen. If they lose to GA, yes they will drop to #2 behind bama, I've never seen a team ranked #1, LOSE, and remain #1. Of course, this is the BCS.

8timechamps
11/26/2011, 07:30 PM
Well that scenario would require LSU to drop to #3 or worse, which honestly is not going to happen. If they lose to GA, yes they will drop to #2 behind bama, I've never seen a team ranked #1, LOSE, and remain #1. Of course, this is the BCS.

Exactly, the BCS is so convoluted, that I could see LSU lose the SEC title game and remain #1.

soonercastor
11/26/2011, 07:32 PM

Yeah LSU is a lock to play in the MNC even if they lose their last game.

soonercastor
11/26/2011, 07:33 PM
I also think the Fiesta would take Stanford/Michigan before they take Houston. Whoever is last to pick (Sugar I think) is stuck with Houston IMO.

sooner59
11/26/2011, 07:35 PM

See: 2003 OU Sooners

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 07:37 PM
Yeah LSU is a lock to play in the MNC even if they lose their last game.

Right. Absolutely agree.

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 07:37 PM
See: 2003 OU Sooners

did they?? I thought they dropped to #2..but you could be right. BCS is stupid..lol

8timechamps
11/26/2011, 07:41 PM
did they?? I thought they dropped to #2..but you could be right. BCS is stupid..lol

I think that's something we call all agree on.

sooner59
11/26/2011, 07:41 PM
And yeah, I had a brain fart. Arky cannot get a BCS game. So the question is who does the Sugar Bowl take to play Houston? They have the first pick. They could take Michigan or Stanford (if Stanford wins tonight) and leave the Fiesta with a decision to make. If Va. Tech loses to Clemson, they would be a 2-loss team. K-State is a 2-loss team if they beat Iowa State. OSU could lose and still be a viable 2-loss team.

There is a decent chance that OSU could lose to OU and end up playing Houston in the Sugar. Think about that.

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 07:42 PM
I also think the Fiesta would take Stanford/Michigan before they take Houston. Whoever is last to pick (Sugar I think) is stuck with Houston IMO.

right, based on the selection process I think the Sugar will have the last selection, which will be Houston.

sooner59
11/26/2011, 07:43 PM

Final Poll:

TW Team W-L
1 Oklahoma 12-1
2 LSU 12-1
3 USC 11-1
4 Michigan 10-2
5 Ohio State 10-2
6 Texas 10-2
7 Florida State 10-2
8 Tennessee 10-2
9 Miami (Fla.) 10-2
10 Kansas State 11-3
11 Miami (Ohio) 12-1
12 Georgia 10-3
13 Iowa 9-3
14 Purdue 9-3
15 Florida 8-4
16 Washington State 9-3
17 Boise State 12-1
18 TCU 11-1
19 Mississippi 9-3
20 Nebraska 9-3
21 Oklahoma State 9-3
22 Utah 9-2
23 Maryland 9-3
24 Bowling Green 10-3
25 Minnesota 9-3

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 07:47 PM
Geez, well goes to show the BCS is stupid..lol although I'm sure I was cheering at the time.

Final Poll:

TW Team W-L
1 Oklahoma 12-1
2 LSU 12-1
3 USC 11-1
4 Michigan 10-2
5 Ohio State 10-2
6 Texas 10-2
7 Florida State 10-2
8 Tennessee 10-2
9 Miami (Fla.) 10-2
10 Kansas State 11-3
11 Miami (Ohio) 12-1
12 Georgia 10-3
13 Iowa 9-3
14 Purdue 9-3
15 Florida 8-4
16 Washington State 9-3
17 Boise State 12-1
18 TCU 11-1
19 Mississippi 9-3
20 Nebraska 9-3
21 Oklahoma State 9-3
22 Utah 9-2
23 Maryland 9-3
24 Bowling Green 10-3
25 Minnesota 9-3

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 07:47 PM
And yeah, I had a brain fart. Arky cannot get a BCS game. So the question is who does the Sugar Bowl take to play Houston? They have the first pick. They could take Michigan or Stanford (if Stanford wins tonight) and leave the Fiesta with a decision to make. If Va. Tech loses to Clemson, they would be a 2-loss team. K-State is a 2-loss team if they beat Iowa State. OSU could lose and still be a viable 2-loss team.

There is a decent chance that OSU could lose to OU and end up playing Houston in the Sugar. Think about that.

If I'm the Fiesta bowl I am all over a Stanford/Michigan matchup.

8timechamps
11/26/2011, 07:52 PM
Final Poll:

TW Team W-L
1 Oklahoma 12-1
2 LSU 12-1
3 USC 11-1
4 Michigan 10-2
5 Ohio State 10-2
6 Texas 10-2
7 Florida State 10-2
8 Tennessee 10-2
9 Miami (Fla.) 10-2
10 Kansas State 11-3
11 Miami (Ohio) 12-1
12 Georgia 10-3
13 Iowa 9-3
14 Purdue 9-3
15 Florida 8-4
16 Washington State 9-3
17 Boise State 12-1
18 TCU 11-1
19 Mississippi 9-3
20 Nebraska 9-3
21 Oklahoma State 9-3
22 Utah 9-2
23 Maryland 9-3
24 Bowling Green 10-3
25 Minnesota 9-3

Hard to remember some of those teams actually being good.

Sooner5030
11/26/2011, 07:55 PM
so OU wins:

fiesta - OU
Cotton - OSU/KSU (OSU could get BCS at large)
Alamo - KSU/UT/Baylor
Insight - KSU/UT/Baylor
Holiday - Mizzou/UT
Texas - aTm/ISU
Pinstripe - ISU/aTm

what else am I missing?

8timechamps
11/26/2011, 07:57 PM
so OU wins:

fiesta - OU
Cotton - OSU/KSU (OSU could get BCS at large)
Alamo - KSU/UT/Baylor
Insight - KSU/UT/Baylor
Holiday - Mizzou/UT
Texas - aTm/ISU
Pinstripe - ISU/aTm

what else am I missing?

You have it. Unless, by some chance TT beats Baylor.

Sooner5030
11/26/2011, 08:02 PM
OU loses:

fiesta - OSU
Cotton - OU/KSU/BU
Alamo - OU/KSU/BU
Insight - OU//BU/UT
Holiday - Mizzou/UT
Texas - aTm/ISU
Pinstripe - ISU/aTm

?

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 08:02 PM
You have it. Unless, by some chance TT beats Baylor.

Right. As it stands now we have too many bowl eligible teams to bowl bids, but Navy's spot opens up this year because they are 4-7 and Conf USA i think has to give one up as well...so even if TT were to win (which they won't) they could still get a bid too.

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 08:08 PM
Ticketcity bowl..that's what is was. Big12 selection over a Conf USA team..

Sooner5030
11/26/2011, 08:14 PM
our options

Fiesta vs. ______
cotton vs. Arkie
Alamo vs. Stanford/ASU
Insight vs UNL/meatchicken/PSU

would love to see Bo burst a vessel on the sidelines......that and I would love to remind UNL fans that they can escape the BIG12 but not the asswoopings from BIG12 teams.

EatLeadCommie
11/26/2011, 08:23 PM
4th place if we lose next week (assuming Baylor beats TT). I don't give a damn what bowl we go to. 4th place is ridiculous. We should not be in that position.

sooner59
11/26/2011, 08:26 PM
Hard to remember some of those teams actually being good.

You forgot to put texas in bold.

llsooner7
11/27/2011, 04:58 AM
How about OU just wins next week so we don't have to worry about whom we would play in the cotton or kraft fight boredom bowl.