PDA

View Full Version : OU in the Fiesta Bowl???

Soonermagik
11/26/2011, 03:43 PM
If OU beats OSU they are in the Fiesta bowl, right? Both teams would have 2 loses in the conference, but OU would hold the head to head, which I believe is the 1st tie breaker.

Would OU automatically get matched up against a Big East team?

Sooner_Tuf
11/26/2011, 03:44 PM
No

soonercastor
11/26/2011, 03:45 PM

No.

Okie35
11/26/2011, 03:46 PM
No, it could end up being Houston. The committee from each Bowl gets to pick the match-ups by order. What the order is this year I don't know, it changes every year I believe.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/26/2011, 03:46 PM
No.
Wikipedia:
Note: The Big East champion is guaranteed a BCS berth, but is not locked to any specific bowl. Rather, they are treated as one of the at-large teams.

sooner59
11/26/2011, 03:49 PM
I would be shocked if the Fiesta picks Houston. They get to pick before the Sugar for their at-large (after the Sugar replaces the SEC champ if LSU beats Georgia). The Fiesta more probably either pick Michigan or Stanford if they win tonight.

Soonermagik
11/26/2011, 04:09 PM
Okay, but the Fiesta has to pick the Big 12 champion, right?

soonercastor
11/26/2011, 04:11 PM

yes, unless they lose it to the MNC

TheHumanAlphabet
11/26/2011, 04:18 PM
If OU beats OSU they are in the Fiesta bowl, right? Both teams would have 2 loses in the conference, but OU would hold the head to head, which I believe is the 1st tie breaker.

Don't worry, OU will not beat aggie lite. Can't score from the 1, we ain't gonna win.

Soonermagik
11/26/2011, 04:35 PM
Don't worry, OU will not beat aggie lite. Can't score from the 1, we ain't gonna win.

The Belldozer can score in the red zone.

JLEW1818
11/26/2011, 04:47 PM
as long as Oregon wins the pac12 championship and Stanford does not lose tonight, Stanford is a lock for the Fiesta Bowl and will play OU/OSU

Soonermagik
11/26/2011, 05:56 PM
as long as Oregon wins the pac12 championship and Stanford does not lose tonight, Stanford is a lock for the Fiesta Bowl and will play OU/OSU

Thx!!

dennis580
11/26/2011, 06:07 PM

Actually it would be a 3 way tie between OU, OSU, and Kansas St, but OU owns the head to head over both of them so yes OU would be in the Fiesta Bowl, but OSU, and K. St would still get co- Big 12 championship trophies from the BIg 12. So the Big 12 would have 3 champions OU, OSU, and K. St if they beat Iowa St. next week. Thats why I HATE not having a Big 12 championship game because of all this co-champion crap.

Lott's Bandana
11/26/2011, 07:41 PM
Bob doesn't want to hear anything about co-champions, he stated flatly this week, paraphrasing:

"We talked about this when it was set up. The winner of next week's game is the champion."

Salt City Sooner
11/26/2011, 10:39 PM
Yes, but they can switch teams if they can get another bowl to agree to it. The non-NCG bowls are about one thing & that's getting butts in seats. Since we've been to Arizona as much as we have, I personally would be surprised if the Fiesta didn't try to swing a backroom deal with another bowl. In the '07 season, we were very close to going to the Orange Bowl to play Va. Tech (with KU shipping out west) due to having played in Tempe the year before. The deal got nixed at the last minute (unfortunately).

Blue
11/26/2011, 10:42 PM

Which would suck bc an OU/Michigan matchup would be very cool. We just played Stanford.

on a sid note...Fantasy Baskball this year Jlew?

sooner59
11/26/2011, 10:48 PM
Which would suck bc an OU/Michigan matchup would be very cool. We just played Stanford.

on a sid note...Fantasy Baskball this year Jlew?

What if Georgia beats LSU and Bama and LSU still play in the MNC? The Fiesta would have to choose between Michigan and Stanford. Michigan hasn't played in a BCS game in a good while. They have a big fan base that will travel. They have tons of viewers because of their history/tradition/prestige. If I were the Fiesta, I would pick Michigan over Stanford. Otherwise, Michigan is left out in the cold because Georgia would go to the Sugar Bowl to play Houston.

OU_Sooners75
11/26/2011, 10:57 PM
No, it could end up being Houston. The committee from each Bowl gets to pick the match-ups by order. What the order is this year I don't know, it changes every year I believe.

Bowl Order 2011:

Sugar, Orange, Fiesta

Here is how the selection works:

A bowl choosing a replacement team may not select any of the following:

A. A team in the NCG;
B. The host team for another BCS Bowl;
C. When two bowls lose host teams, then the bowl losing the number one team may not select a replacement team from the same conference as the number two team, unless the bowl losing the number two team consents.
4. After steps No. 1, 2 and 3 have been completed, any bowl with an unfilled slot shall select a team from the automatic qualifiers and/or at-large teams in the following order for the games played in 2007 through 2010:

A. The bowl played on the date nearest to the National Championship Game will pick first;
B. The bowl played on the date second-nearest to the National Championship Game will pick second;
C. The bowl hosting the game that is played in the time slot immediately after the Rose Bowl game will pick third.
The selection order noted in paragraphs A, B and C is as follows:
January 2011 games: Sugar, Orange, Fiesta
January 2012 games: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange
January 2013 games: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange
January 2014 games: Orange, Sugar, Fiesta

source: http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bcs_selection_procedures.html

OU_Sooners75
11/26/2011, 11:06 PM

That is not a lock at all.

The Fiesta Picks last this year.

That means they could be left with at-large Houston (assuming Houston stays undefeated).

BCS bowls will look something like this (If OU wins):

MNC: LSU vs. Bama (GAG)
Sugar: Stanford vs. MSU/Wisconsin/OSU
Orange: Virginia Tech/Clemson vs. Big East
Rose: MSU/Wisconsin vs. Oregon/UCLA
Fiesta: OU vs. Houston/Boise State

If OSU wins:

MNC: LSU vs. OSU
Sugar: Bama vs. KSU/Boise State/Houston
Orange: Clemson/VT vs. Big East
Rose: MSU/Wisconsi vs. Oregon/UCLA
Fiesta: Stanford vs. Houston/Boise State/KSU

sooner59
11/26/2011, 11:08 PM
That is not a lock at all.

The Fiesta Picks last this year.

That means they could be left with at-large Houston (assuming Houston stays undefeated).

BCS bowls will look something like this (If OU wins):

MNC: LSU vs. Bama (GAG)
Sugar: Stanford vs. MSU/Wisconsin/OSU
Orange: Virginia Tech/Clemson vs. Big East
Rose: MSU/Wisconsin vs. Oregon/UCLA
Fiesta: OU vs. Houston/Boise State

If OSU wins:

MNC: LSU vs. OSU
Sugar: Bama vs. KSU/Boise State/Houston
Orange: Clemson/VT vs. Big East
Rose: MSU/Wisconsi vs. Oregon/UCLA
Fiesta: Stanford vs. Houston/Boise State/KSU

Hey bro, wrong year. This year will be January 2012.

OU_Sooners75
11/26/2011, 11:10 PM
Hey bro, wrong year. This year will be January 2012.

not for me damnit! LOL

sooner59
11/26/2011, 11:11 PM
And there is no way that Michigan State or Wisconsin get in over a Michigan team with a better record. Boise has zero chance in hell of getting one. Same with Kansas State....because purple kansas is not sexy. If Houston wins next week they are in no matter what. Sugar picks last, so Houston is in the Sugar.

Blue
11/26/2011, 11:12 PM
I don't see the Mich st/ Wisconsin loser getting an at large bid. Michigan over the loser of that game.

And of Osu jumps bama I would laugh mao.

OU_Sooners75
11/26/2011, 11:12 PM
And there is no way that Michigan State or Wisconsin get in over a Michigan team with a better record. Boise has zero chance in hell of getting one. Same with Kansas State....because purple kansas is not sexy. If Houston wins next week they are in no matter what. Sugar picks last, so Houston is in the Sugar.

If Boise is in the top 6, they are guaranteed an at-large bid.

Blue
11/26/2011, 11:13 PM
Southern Miss has a good team. Hopefully they'll pull the upset.

OU_Sooners75
11/26/2011, 11:13 PM
I don't see the Mich st/ Wisconsin loser getting an at large bid. Michigan over the loser of that game.

And of Osu jumps bama I would laugh mao.

If OSU wins, start laughing...because there will not be a rematch unless OU beats OSU.

swardboy
11/26/2011, 11:14 PM
Doesn't your chart up there say Fiesta chooses first in January 2012? No hablo BCSto....

OU_Sooners75
11/26/2011, 11:16 PM
Doesn't your chart up there say Fiesta chooses first in January 2012? No hablo BCSto....

Why, yes, yes it does....Im behind a year. :gary:

sooner59
11/26/2011, 11:25 PM
If Boise is in the top 6, they are guaranteed an at-large bid.

Actually, that's not correct.

from BCS Releases
Updated 11/25/11

Automatic Qualification
1. The top two teams in the final BCS Standings shall play in the National Championship Game.

2. The champions of the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, and Southeastern conferences will have automatic berths in one of the participating bowls through the 2013 regular season.

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

* A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
* B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year. (Note: a second team may be eligible for at-large eligibility as noted below.) If two or more teams from those conferences satisfy the provisions for an automatic berth, then the team with the highest finish in the final BCS Standings will receive the automatic berth, and the remaining team or teams will be considered for at-large selection if it meets the criteria.

4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.

5. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 4, and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 3 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier, provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

6. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 5, and if no team qualifies under paragraph No. 5 and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 4 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

Since Boise is not the Mountain West Champion, they do not qualify for automatic qualification based on their BCS ranking. They are only eligible for an at-large bid....which they have next to zero % chance of getting with BCS conference teams available.

OU_Sooners75
11/26/2011, 11:36 PM
Actually, that's not correct.

Since Boise is not the Mountain West Champion, they do not qualify for automatic qualification based on their BCS ranking. They are only eligible for an at-large bid....which they have next to zero % chance of getting with BCS conference teams available.

Forgot TCU is the MWC champ.

Sooner95
11/26/2011, 11:45 PM
I feel like dejavu..lol

Boise is NOT going to a BCS bowl. Eliminate that from your thoughts.

Houston is not going to the Fiesta bowl. They have a selection before the Sugar bowl and will pick Stanford/Mich ect.. Houston is going to the Sugar bowl. Lock it down, buy your tickets..as long as they beat So Miss.

WHEN we beat the pokes, we will go to the Fiesta Bowl. They are contractually obligated to take the champion of the Big12 Conference, which will be OU. KSU does not factor into any of this, because they lose the first tiebreaker based on the lost to both us and pokes.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/26/2011, 11:55 PM
I think the Sugar Bowl always has first pick of an opponent, Orange Bowl next, and Fiesta brings up the rear. There is no rotation of firstand second choice.

11/26/2011, 11:58 PM
Big 12 is stuck with the Fiesta Bowl, unlessthe conference winner goes to the BCS title game. Our opponent in the Fiesta is alwys 3 rd choice among Fiesta Sugar and Orange.

sooner59
11/26/2011, 11:59 PM
MNC: LSU vs. Bama

Orange: Va. Tech/Clemson winner vs. Cincy/WV/Louisville

Fiesta: OU vs. Stanford

Sugar: Michigan vs. Houston (or someone else if Houston loses)

Rose: Oregon vs. Wisconsin/Mich. State

(IF osu wins, I think they would have to win convincingly in order to pass Bama. I think they would still end up in the Fiesta.)

sooner59
11/27/2011, 12:01 AM
I think the Sugar Bowl always has first pick of an opponent, Orange Bowl next, and Fiesta brings up the rear. There is no rotation of firstand second choice.

1. You are wrong.

2. You obviously didn't read the first page where 75 posted the picking order from 2011-2014.

tOSU has played in the Fiesta a LOT in the past decade and they are not in the Big 12. Texas played them a few years ago. They played K-State and Notre Dame as well. True some Fiestas have been clunkers, but its not the same picking order every year. If the Fiesta picked last, they would have ended up with Hawaii a few years ago.

11/27/2011, 12:30 AM
1. You are wrong.

2. You obviously didn't read the first page where 75 posted the picking order from 2011-2014.

tOSU has played in the Fiesta a LOT in the past decade and they are not in the Big 12. Texas played them a few years ago. They played K-State and Notre Dame as well. True some Fiestas have been clunkers, but its not the same picking order every year. If the Fiesta picked last, they would have ended up with Hawaii a few years ago.No, I read it, but a couple of weeks ago, we looked it up, and it was presented that the order was a permanent situmation. I HOPE I'M WRONG.

OU_Sooners75
11/27/2011, 12:36 AM
No, I read it, but a couple of weeks ago, we looked it up, and it was presented that the order was a permanent situmation. I HOPE I'M WRONG.

No, the Bowl closest (date wise) to the MNC game gets the first pick.

sooner59
11/27/2011, 01:02 AM
No, I read it, but a couple of weeks ago, we looked it up, and it was presented that the order was a permanent situmation. I HOPE I'M WRONG.

Hell, its even on their website. Not that hard to look it up. Keep in mind the Sugar will pick before the Fiesta because of losing the SEC champ if LSU wins. But then the would end up with the last pick as well.

http://img9.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/15121/151217796a9a7ef873e0a9be9d373e8664636510.png (http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=15121779&showlnk=0)

11/27/2011, 01:32 AM
No, the Bowl closest (date wise) to the MNC game gets the first pick.Well, here's what I found on a website that explains all things BCS.(BCS 101) Here's the website:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bcs_explained.html

BoulderSooner79
11/27/2011, 01:35 AM
The Sugar bowl seems to always get special treatment because they always lose the SEC champ to the title game. "Always" as in this will be the 6th time in a row. The Fiesta gets 1st pick this year after the special case since it got Uconn last year as last pick.

OU_Sooners75
11/27/2011, 02:20 AM
Well, here's what I found on a website that explains all things BCS.(BCS 101) Here's the website:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bcs_explained.html

Exact same damn thing I just posted.

11/27/2011, 11:56 AM
Exact same damn thing I just posted.Yes. Deepest apologies for questioning your accuracy.

soonerboomer
11/27/2011, 12:36 PM
If OU beats OSU, OU goes to the Fiesta Bowl and OSU goes to the Sugar Bowl. Should OSU beat OU, OSU goes to the Fiesta Bowl and OU goes to the Cotton Bowl and probably play Arkansas. In either case, KSU goes to the Holiday Bowl. The other team in the Fiesta Bowl likely will be Boise State. Otherwise, Houston.

Rose Bowl: Wisconsin/Mich. St. winner vs Oregon/UCLA winner

Sugar Bowl: Lots of possibilities. LSU (if they lose the SEC Championship)/Alabama if LSU wins the SEC championship vs Oklahoma State if they lose to OU/Houston/Vir. Tech if they lose to Clemson/Boise State/Stanford

Orange Bowl: Clemson/Vir. Tech winner vs Houston/Stanford/Boise State/TCU

FtwTxSooner
11/27/2011, 01:10 PM
If OU beats OSU, OU goes to the Fiesta Bowl and OSU goes to the Sugar Bowl. Should OSU beat OU, OSU goes to the Fiesta Bowl and OU goes to the Cotton Bowl and probably play Arkansas.

If we lose, and KSU beats ISU, we'd probably end up in the Alamo Bowl, with the Cotton Bowl selecting a 10-2 KSU team before us. Also, the Alamo bowl is ahead of the Holiday Bowl in the selection order.

sooner59
11/27/2011, 01:29 PM
If OU beats OSU, OU goes to the Fiesta Bowl and OSU goes to the Sugar Bowl. Should OSU beat OU, OSU goes to the Fiesta Bowl and OU goes to the Cotton Bowl and probably play Arkansas. In either case, KSU goes to the Holiday Bowl. The other team in the Fiesta Bowl likely will be Boise State. Otherwise, Houston.

Sugar Bowl: Lots of possibilities. LSU (if they lose the SEC Championship)/Alabama if LSU wins the SEC championship vs Oklahoma State if they lose to OU/Houston/Vir. Tech if they lose to Clemson/Boise State/Stanford

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. If OU beats OSU, OSU is not getting a BCS bid over Michigan, so you can forget that right now. Boise is not getting a BCS bid, period. Houston wins next week and they are going to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. Write that down. The Fiesta will likely pick Stanford to play the OU/OSU winner...unless LSU wins and the Sugar takes Stanford over Michigan. In that case, the Fiesta picks Michigan. You completely left out the Big East winner...which likely goes to the Orange unless the Orange would rather have Houston. If LSU loses to Georgia, it will screw stuff up. Georgia would then be in the Sugar, and it would depend on who won between OU/OSU as to what happens in the MNC and Fiesta.

Johnny Utah
11/27/2011, 03:29 PM
The Sugar bowl seems to always get special treatment because they always lose the SEC champ to the title game. "Always" as in this will be the 6th time in a row. The Fiesta gets 1st pick this year after the special case since it got Uconn last year as last pick.

Don't they though. This way there can be more "SEC Dominance" when its 2nd best team dismantles an overmatched Cincinnatti or Hawaii.

Scott D
11/27/2011, 05:12 PM
everyone seems to keep missing out that only an act of God will get Boise into anything other than the Humanitarian Bowl...oh wait, they're not even eligible for the crap bowl in their crap stadium due to new conference affiliation.

Houston is the only non-BCS at large, unless they lose the CUSA CCG, which is very unlikely. They'll go to the Sugar, and we'll be stuck with the Cardinal and the "godliness" of Andrew Luck barring any miracles (ie...Georgia doing BCS haters a favor and dashing the world into chaos)

Sooner95
11/27/2011, 05:41 PM
Yea, some are making this more difficult that it really is..lol

Orange bowl will match up the ACC champ vs Big east champ. Orange Bowl got out of selecting the Big east last year. This year, they'll take them.

BCS Title game LSU vs Bama I don't care what happens in SEC Champ game, LSU is a lock as is Bama.

Rose bowl Pac12/Big10 champ.

Fiesta bowl OU/OSU vs Stanford/Mich

Sugar GA/Mich/ vs Houston if Houston beats So. Miss.

That's it..

Dale Ellis
11/27/2011, 05:52 PM

Aggies lite is a fraud and will be massively exposed. OU 45 OSU 24

8timechamps
11/27/2011, 05:54 PM
Aggies lite is a fraud and will be massively exposed. OU 45 OSU 24

First post of yours I've agreed with. I just don't believe OSU is as good as they've been ranked all year. They've struggled with every good team they've played.

PrideTrombone
11/27/2011, 05:58 PM
If OSU wins, start laughing...because there will not be a rematch unless OU beats OSU.

Have you been paying attention at all the last two days?

trey
11/27/2011, 06:10 PM

Lol at your sugar bowl pick. If lsu loses to georgia in atlanta, they will not have a rematch in the sugar.

Scott D
11/28/2011, 10:46 AM

Lol at your sugar bowl pick. If lsu loses to georgia in atlanta, they will not have a rematch in the sugar.

I lol at the thought of him thinking a bcs bowl would take boise over a 2 loss michigan for an at large bid. Only way boise gets in is if Houston loses.

Soonermagik
11/28/2011, 02:24 PM
So, even if OSU loses are you guys saying they would still be in a BCS game? I would think that the Sugar Bowl might want a one loss Boise State team over a 2 loss OSU team.

sooner59
11/28/2011, 02:46 PM
So, even if OSU loses are you guys saying they would still be in a BCS game? I would think that the Sugar Bowl might want a one loss Boise State team over a 2 loss OSU team.

I'm saying that if OSU loses, neither will get a BCS game. OU would play Stanford most likely in the Fiesta. The MNC will be LSU/Bama. The Rose will be the B1G winner and the PAC winner. The ACC winner is in the Orange. If Houston wins their last game, it will leave the Big East Champ to either fill out the Orange bowl or be one of the Sugar contestants. Obviously if Georgia wins, they are in the Sugar and the BCS goes into chaos again, but in order to make my argument, lets assume LSU beats Georgia. That leaves two at-large teams to fill out the BCS. Here are the teams that look like they will be eligible for at-large bids:

OSU, Virginia Tech (if they lose the ACC CG), Houston, Boise State, Kansas State, Michigan, and an "outside possibility" of Baylor and TCU

If Houston wins, narrow the field down to 1 at-large bid left, because they will automatically get a bid. If they lose, they are out. That leaves the rest of those teams to choose from for the last spot. Of all of those teams, it would be shocking if Michigan didn't get it given the stature and history of their program and size of their fanbase.

But like I said, all bets are off if Georgia wins. If Georgia wins a close game, I could honestly see LSU still playing the in the MNC...even if OSU beats OU. It would just mean that Houston would play Georgia and the Fiesta would just have to choose between Stanford and Michigan, with the other being left out.

11/28/2011, 03:03 PM
It will be a fine Christmas present to all of us if Bammer is left out of the NC game, them with their 856 National Championships in tow.

nativesooner
11/28/2011, 03:06 PM
If we lose, and KSU beats ISU, we'd probably end up in the Alamo Bowl, with the Cotton Bowl selecting a 10-2 KSU team before us. Also, the Alamo bowl is ahead of the Holiday Bowl in the selection order.

You don't think the Cotton would want us over the Purple Kitties? I think we'd sell more seats and spend more $$. lol!

Scott D
11/28/2011, 04:49 PM

OSU has a better shot than Boise. Boise's only shot is for Houston to lose. As it stands now, a 2 loss Michigan looks better than OSU, so this Saturday means everything to the Pokes.

Scott D
11/28/2011, 04:51 PM

You don't think the Cotton would want us over the Purple Kitties? I think we'd sell more seats and spend more $$. lol!

Cotton won't have a choice unless the Alamo can be persuaded to trade picks.

Sooner95
12/1/2011, 08:17 PM
Wrong. The Cotton Bowl does not have to take the second ranked team, the merely have the second pick. So they are not forced into selecting KSU, they could still select Oklahoma.

IF we do lose, I see the Cotton Bowl selecting KSU becuase we will be 8-3 and ranked maybe in the top 15.