PDA

View Full Version : The 3 man pass rush

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2011, 05:08 PM
Can anyone tell me why this has become so fashionable? Yes I know u have to give different looks but it seems to me like it only leads to first downs or long plays by the offense; I've seen way too much of it this season in both pro and college games

SoonerorLater
11/25/2011, 10:15 PM
I think it's more of a function of available talent than anything else. If you have a three man line that can occupy the offensive line then you have an advantage with the four backers for pass coverage especially if the outside backers are big time pass rush guys. Bottom line is it may be easier to find 4 quality linebackers than 4 quality down linemen. The key is the 3 down linemen have to be big and tough. In my estimation there are really only a handful of guys that can adequately handle the nose tackle position.

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 10:45 PM
Not to get into the technicalities of it all, it's typically used to help in pass defense. Usually, not always. Most teams that use a three man front still bring outside linebackers up (which then basically become stand-up defensive ends). It's also trendy. I think a lot of things in football are trendy, like the Wildcat and the 3-4 defense.

SoonerorLater is correct too, personnel can affect the decision too.

Sabanball
11/25/2011, 10:53 PM
We run the 3-4 and it has been very good for us. The difference is our lb's are interchangeable and can either play back as a lb or put one hand in the dirt and play up on the DL...with today's offenses, that kind of versatility is absolutely necessary.

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2011, 10:57 PM
I just don't think its effective from what I'm seeing; most of the time the qb has all day to throw and eventually a receiver will break free from the coverage and boom first down ; in theory 8 guys should be able to cover 3 to 5 receivers but it seems to not work more than it works

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2011, 10:59 PM
Guys I'm not talking about a base defense I'm talking about only rushing 3 and dropping 8 into coverage; from what I see it doesn't work over half the time

cleller
11/26/2011, 09:09 AM
Guys I'm not talking about a base defense I'm talking about only rushing 3 and dropping 8 into coverage; from what I see it doesn't work over half the time

Right. When it does seem to work best is when it is the starting point, but on any given play more pressure is coming up from the ends or middle. We were getting pressure at Baylor pretty well in the first half, then it went away.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/26/2011, 10:27 AM
...sucks!!!

Dan Thompson
11/26/2011, 10:53 AM
I don't remember LSU using this formation. Some times it looked like 5 or more players on the line. LSU LBs also held there positions and didn't over comment at the snap.

BoulderSooner79
11/26/2011, 11:17 AM
The times I've seen it work is when the defense fools the QB. They crowd the line in an all out blitz look until the QB audibles to a hot read and then drop into coverage at the last second. But I agree that when the QB recognizes the 3 man rush and is patient, it seems receivers get open before the QB runs out of time. I have seen it work in the red zone where the receivers don't have much room to work with.

hawaii 5-0
11/26/2011, 11:32 AM
The 3 man rush is OK if you can consistently put pressure on the QB. If the QB has all day to throw it doesn't matter if there's 8 men to cover. He'll still find the open receiver.

Personally I like the 4 man rush and constant blitzing by a LB or safety. Let the CBs go man.

5-0