PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas At LSU

FaninAma
11/25/2011, 02:59 PM
Arkansas is probably the one team in the SEC that runs a Big 12 style of offense. The first thing I have noticed is how close to the line of scrimmage LSU's DBs play.

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 03:01 PM
LSU really does have some talent in the secondary. There have already been a couple of times the Arky QB had time, but couldn't find an open receiver. I agree, Arkansas runs as close to a Big XII offense as there is in the SEC. Should be interesting.

LVSOONER15
11/25/2011, 03:08 PM
They have physical corners. They're a tough group.

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 03:12 PM
I'd like to see Arkansas win, just to throw the BCS into chaos.

FaninAma
11/25/2011, 03:14 PM
Arkansas looking like the better team at this point.

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 03:17 PM
They're definitely not afraid to play LSU. It will be interesting to see if LSU gets down by a couple of scores if they have the offense to come back.

soonercastor
11/25/2011, 03:26 PM
14-0 Pigs

FaninAma
11/25/2011, 03:27 PM
Soooooooie, pig!

OU definitely needs an upgrade at safety.

SoonerMarkVA
11/25/2011, 03:27 PM
ARKIE! Go pigs, go!

BlownGP
11/25/2011, 03:31 PM
hell yeah,, pigs

Petro-Sooner
11/25/2011, 03:43 PM
SEC SEC SEC

Sooner5030
11/25/2011, 03:44 PM
don't laugh

I actually see UGA upsetting LSU before they upset pig. Not sure why though.

marfacowboy
11/25/2011, 03:56 PM
Vern looks like he's about to complete his transformation into a hamster.

Boomer.....
11/25/2011, 03:59 PM
I can't stand listening to these SEC announcers. Ugh!

TUSooner
11/25/2011, 04:07 PM
Vern looks like he's about to complete his transformation into a hamster.

That's brilliant.
Meanwhile, hogs are transforming into *****cats.

TUSooner
11/25/2011, 04:10 PM
Arkansas is probably the one team in the SEC that runs a Big 12 style of offense. The first thing I have noticed is how close to the line of scrimmage LSU's DBs play.

They seem to be playing Big <12 defense as well.

TUSooner
11/25/2011, 04:11 PM
I'll say this. LSU plays with apparent motivation far exceeding what I commonly see from OU.

Boomer.....
11/25/2011, 04:12 PM
Arky looks to be pulling off an Aggie meltdown. :mad:

TUSooner
11/25/2011, 04:13 PM
They're definitely not afraid to play LSU. It will be interesting to see if LSU gets down by a couple of scores if they have the offense to come back.

They do. :(

LSUdeek
11/25/2011, 04:19 PM
I guess haters will continue to hate. 21 unanswered coming back from a 14-0 deficit.

FaninAma
11/25/2011, 04:32 PM
I guess haters will continue to hate. 21 unanswered coming back from a 14-0 deficit.

OMG, do you really feel the need to come on to another fanbase's message board and act like an offended, whiney little beyotch because we don't like LSU and their coach?! Really?!

Who knew Karl from Slingblade was an idiot savant at coaching college football.

TUSooner
11/25/2011, 04:35 PM
With me, it's all about the HATE, not the logic. I think LSU is plenty good, I just hate their guts. Nothing personal. I don't care how many deficits they overcome, or how many points they score, or how many games they win. I HATE THEM. You might as well try to argue me into changing my favorite color or favorite food. My hatred is unaffected by logic or reason. I hate what I hate and like what I like, LSU is just something I completely hate. It's really simple.

SoonerKnight
11/25/2011, 04:35 PM
WOW!

TUSooner
11/25/2011, 04:40 PM
That sideline reporter bink is awful. She asks Petrino about his "fragile" team and asks Les about his team's "character". pffft

LSUdeek
11/25/2011, 04:44 PM
With me, it's all about the HATE, not the logic. I think LSU is plenty good, I just hate their guts. Nothing personal. I don't care how many deficits they overcome, or how many points they score, or how many games they win. I HATE THEM. You might as well try to argue me into changing my favorite color or favorite food. My hatred is unaffected by logic or reason. I hate what I hate and like what I like, LSU is just something I completely hate. It's really simple.

You are a tulane graduate and a new Orleans resident. Par for the course.

FanInAma: I come here to discuss CFB. I respect OU's tradition and this message board, so I try to only involve myself in LSU threads. If there is a logical reason to dislike LSU, I won argue against it. My problems are with people who hate us for no good reason.

TUSooner
11/25/2011, 04:48 PM

At least you get it! :wink: And I don't apologize for it.

FaninAma
11/25/2011, 04:50 PM
Then quit acting suprised that we don't like Les Miles. Unless you have fogotten he was totally despised by OU fans for the crap he did and said while he was in Stillwater.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 04:56 PM
Then quit acting suprised that we don't like Les Miles. Unless you have fogotten he was totally despised by OU fans for the crap he did and said while he was in Stillwater.

are you upset because Les Beat Bobby back to back years or that Les has the same arrogance as Bob?

Les is a hell of a coach.

Go Tigers!

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2011, 05:03 PM
Its amazing how coaches continue to make stupid decisions all the time; why pull ur QB and put in the backup that hasn't been in the game? Petrino cost them 4 points there

soonerhubs
11/25/2011, 05:05 PM
Is it appropriate to dislike Les for ****ing with students' futures with false promises, or is that too visceral?

LSUdeek
11/25/2011, 05:18 PM
Les is so terrible that Elliot porter is back on LSUs campus.

soonergirlNeugene
11/25/2011, 05:22 PM
I hate LSU b/c their fans are d-bags.

soonerhubs
11/25/2011, 05:22 PM
Did that take away the fact that he lied? It's time for more coaches to take the "players are simple commodities" mantra. Less and Satan have had the monopoly for too long. ;)

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2011, 05:31 PM
Multiple player suspensions at LSU this year for off the field incidents and failed drug tests but aren't they all still on the team?

oumartin
11/25/2011, 05:33 PM
You guys are watching this power football aren't you? in the last decade LSU could possibly have 3NC's to OU's zero.

but but but, we've played in three.....

marfacowboy
11/25/2011, 05:33 PM
I can't stand LSU, either. So many of their fans are obnoxious and exhibit bad sportsmanship. Last time I went to Tiger stadium, I decided I'd never go back.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 05:37 PM
who cares about their fans.. Thats a damn good football team.

I'm not an lsu fan either but they are really good. and well coached

soonerhubs
11/25/2011, 05:39 PM
Can't argue with that. They are very solid!

oumartin
11/25/2011, 05:39 PM
Holy Crap,, did you see the hole Jeffereson just had.. I'd love to see Blake Bell do that.. Shame we'll turn him into a traditional drop back passer.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 05:43 PM
I don't hear no SEC, SEC, SEC,

I'm hearing LSU, LSU, LSU......

Well, no need to worry about dealing with their fans this year in NOLA.. We won't be there.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 05:44 PM
Can we hire Jon Chavez from LSU to coach the D.

OUInformant
LSU is an ol'school football team. They have talent combined with scratch, energy, and fervor, all things we need to get back.

Les may be an eccentric weirdo who eats grass, but he sure can rile his guys up to play a football game. It would be nice to have that physical, kick-your-a$$ mentality back on the OU campus. You know we can, because athletes from the State of Oklahoma are some of the best. I think Mike could bring some of the mustard we need. Besides, Brent and Mike were a duo.

Hot Rod
You guys are watching this power football aren't you? in the last decade LSU could possibly have 3NC's to OU's zero.

Didn't OU beating #1 Mizzou in the 2007 Big 12 championship give LSU their spot for the 2nd BCS championship?

soonerhubs
That defense is lights out!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/25/2011, 05:46 PM
who cares about their fans.. Thats a damn good football team.

I'm not an lsu fan either but they are really good. and well coachedI have no love for the Tigahs either, but Madman Miles is a VERY good coach, and has done a great job of recruiting.

I like the Arky even less than I like LSU. They recruit more against OU than LSU does, and that's plenty reason to dislike them.

NormanPride
Arkansas is terrible, LSU fans are *******s (present company excepted), and Les miles is slightly more scummy than Nick Saban.

These are truths, set in stone since the dawn days and acknowledged by even the basest of human filth.

oumartin
Who cares how they got there... they won it once they showed up.. Can't say the same for when OU backdoored their way in back in 03 and 08.

Didn't LSU beating OU give LSU their first NC in this string of NC's. :D

11/25/2011, 05:50 PM
LSU has 3 total, I believe. 1958(Chinese Bandits, Billy Cannon, etc), 2003 with Saban over OU, and 2007 with Miles over tOSU.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 05:51 PM
Arkansas is terrible, LSU fans are *******s (present company excepted), and Les miles is slightly more scummy than Nick Saban.

These are truths, set in stone since the dawn days and acknowledged by even the basest of human filth.

Arkansas had one loss,

oumartin
11/25/2011, 05:52 PM
LSU has 3 total, I believe. 1958(Chinese Bandits, Billy Cannon, etc), 2003 with Saban over OU, and 2007 with Miles over tOSU.

after this year they will have three very likely.

thats three in a 9 year span.. Thats Miami Hurrican type good.

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2011, 05:55 PM
Glad I didn't watch this one. It was 14-0 Arkie when I left for my bike ride and when I return, LSU had the game in hand as I figured they would. I would have wasted this 70 degree CA weather sticking around the TV. Now I'm hoping for a Bama/LSU rematch because I think Bama is the only team that could beat LSU in the superdome. It pains me that those bastages have managed a home title game for the 3rd time in a row.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 05:56 PM
So, did Petrino just mouth over to les with the words "f@ck you"

marfacowboy
11/25/2011, 05:59 PM
They're damn good. I won't deny that. Every single player is either fast and athletic or a damn monster. They're a rough bunch.
I remember watching their baseball team beat Texas a couple of years back, and I thought, "these are men against boys." They have superb athletes in track and field, football, baseball. They're just bigger, stronger, faster.
Maybe it's all that pollution in Cancer Alley. Maybe it's the crawfish. The boudain.

EatLeadCommie
11/25/2011, 06:01 PM
Arkansas is a very overrated football team. They do not have a single good win all year. The SEC outside of LSU and Bama absolutely sucks.

NormanPride
11/25/2011, 06:01 PM
Arkansas had one loss,

So?

oumartin
11/25/2011, 06:02 PM
So?
saying they are terrible is kinda ignorant.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 06:07 PM
LET ER RIP!!!!!!!!!

toast
11/25/2011, 06:07 PM

I'm sure they have room on the bandwagon for one more fan, why dont you go join them?

oumartin
11/25/2011, 06:13 PM
I'm sure they have room on the bandwagon for one more fan, why dont you go join them?

I would but I like losing to tech and baylor!

FaninAma
11/25/2011, 06:18 PM
are you upset because Les Beat Bobby back to back years or that Les has the same arrogance as Bob?

Les is a hell of a coach.

Go Tigers!

No, because he is basically a social skill/public relations retard who now coaches in the ethiclally challenged SEC AND because bandwagon fans of OU won't get off his jock because they will forefer remind everybody else that he beat Stoops twice in a weak-@$$ed attempt to denigrate Stoops.

11/25/2011, 06:18 PM
after this year they will have three, very likely...

thats three in a 9 year span.. Thats Miami Hurrican type good.and like Miami, they do it with almost exclusively home-state talent. BUT, they don't have in-state recruiting competition. There is no U of L, like Miami has to recruit against the Criminoles and FU. Like we have to recruit against the lOSUr orange aggies.
The only in-state compettion for LSU is Tulane(haha) and some directional colleges.

Blue
11/25/2011, 06:20 PM
I don't care for LSu but I hate Bama and their fans far more. Let lsu get their fourth title and lets move on from this disaster of a year.

FaninAma
11/25/2011, 06:21 PM
I have no love for the Tigahs either, but Madman Miles is a VERY good coach, and has done a great job of recruiting.

I like the Arky even less than I like LSU. They recruit more against OU than LSU does, and that's plenty reason to dislike them.

It's a little easier to recruit well when you oversign by 4 to 5 players a year. This practice by SEC coaches was regned in this year so we will see if their prowess on the field remains the same in about 3 years.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 06:25 PM
I think RGIII just threw another touchdown

soonercoop1
11/25/2011, 06:27 PM
So thats what a real running game and championship D can do!

oumartin
11/25/2011, 06:28 PM

crazy huh....

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2011, 06:31 PM
I wish we could get the type of defenders those guys seem to get every year

kevpks
11/25/2011, 06:32 PM
Who cares how they got there... they won it once they showed up.. Can't say the same for when OU backdoored their way in back in 03 and 08.

If you think OU "backdoored their way in" in 2008, then you have no clue what that phrase means. In order to get in the title game that year OU had to light up every opponent after Texas, and they did. That is not backing in. We lost the title game but down spin history. You're as bad as the people who claim LSU "blew us out" in 2003.

TUSooner
11/25/2011, 06:32 PM
I'm sure I don't need to say "I hate LSU" one more time, so I won't. But they are easily the best team out there. And for as much as I dislike Les (and I don't think he's the kind of guy I'd trust with any significant business affair), I sure do wish the Sooners had the attitude he brings to LSU. They just go out there and kick butt. They make big plays, they take the ball away from you - literally - and they hit hard all game long. Big game or little, they show up ready to rip your face off. Then they do it. Les's cornball machismo is working bigtime in BR. Alabama has a slim chance to beat them in NOLA, maybe. Nobody else will come close. (Actually, I'd like to see LSU play USC on a neutral field.)

And, oh by the way... How long do you think Les would defend BV and put up with a craptacular burnt-toast defense like OU's? BV would be gone in less than a full season I guarantee.

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2011, 06:34 PM
I think RGIII just threw another touchdown

If you would like to turn in your OU fan card, you should do it with quiet dignity. (Heavy on the quiet).

TUSooner
11/25/2011, 06:35 PM

I wish we could get the type of defenders those guys seem to get every year

Yes and yes.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 06:36 PM
I'm sure I don't need to say "I hate LSU" one more time, so I won't. But they are easily the best team out there. And for as much as I dislike Les (and I don't think he's the kind of guy I'd trust with any significant business affair), I sure do wish the Sooners had the attitude he brings to LSU. They just go out there and kick butt. They make big plays, they take the ball away from you - literally - and they hit hard all game long. Big game or little, they show up ready to rip your face off. Then they do it. Les's cornball machismo is working bigtime in BR. Alabama has a slim chance to beat them in NOLA, maybe. Nobody else will come close. (Actually, I'd like to see LSU play USC on a neutral field.)

And, oh by the way... How long do you think Les would defend BV and put up with a craptacular burnt-toast defense like OU's? BV would be gone in less than a full season I guarantee.

Amen!!!!!!!

And to think LSU was ready to run him outta town a couple years back..

jkjsooner
11/25/2011, 06:45 PM
Who cares how they got there... they won it once they showed up..

Of courese they have. They show up every year it's 80 miles down the road. It's not much of a neutral site when you have 80% of the fans in a domed stadium. I'd bet it's easier to play LSU in Baton Rouge than New Orleans. At least in Baton Rouge the noise has a way to escape.

I don't give a damn who thinks I'm making excuses. The situation as it is now has given SEC teams an advantage in 50% of the BCS sites and a huge advantage when LSU makes it to New Orleans.

Frankly, the commissioners of the Big 12, Big East, and Big 10 need to threaten to leave the BCS unless the site locations are more regionally distributed. If that means playing some games in northern domes then so be it. It's not like New Orleans has great weather or that trashy stadium is anything to marvel over...

You'd think that the NFL would have this problem as well but for whatever reason there has almost never been this sort of home field advantage in the Super Bowl. The NFL is also not shy about playing games in northern domes.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 06:50 PM
If all OU fans are so happy losing to Tech and Baylor and watching LSU steal what was suppose to be your 8th NC then maybe I am in the wrong fan base but golly I sure love my Sooners. I just don't like seeing them lose.. God forgive me.

FaninAma
11/25/2011, 06:51 PM
http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/tag/lsu/

If the problems has not been addressed I fully expect TAMU to start doing the same thing now that they have joined the SEC.

FaninAma
11/25/2011, 06:53 PM
Oumartin, I am far from being a sunshine pumper but you are the most negative, unhappy Sooner fan I have ever seen.

jkjsooner
11/25/2011, 07:03 PM

We had a fantastic run game (both o-line and Peterson) and a good defense in 2004. How did that turn out for us against USC?

There ain't a one size fits all solution here.

jkjsooner
11/25/2011, 07:12 PM
If all OU fans are so happy losing to Tech and Baylor and watching LSU steal what was suppose to be your 8th NC then maybe I am in the wrong fan base but golly I sure love my Sooners. I just don't like seeing them lose.. God forgive me.

Supposed to be our 8th? Who says? Some media big shot behind a microphone?

Don't blame everyone else because you believed the hype.

FaninAma
11/25/2011, 07:14 PM
Until Stoops and the other coaches in the Big 12 can play by the same rules as Miles and Saban I think OU fans should temper any criticism of Stoops as well as any adulation of Saban and Miles.

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2011, 07:16 PM

I didn't see many happy campers around here after those games - mostly irrational meltdowns. LSU is a great team and things have worked out for them so far. But your envy of them and using it to tear down the Sooners is over the top. No one is stopping you from buying a Geaux Tiger T-shirt and joining their board.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 07:20 PM
I'm a sooner fan but I'm not afraid to heap praise on another team..

I guess jealousy comes in Crimson

TXBOOMER
11/25/2011, 07:22 PM
I didn't see many happy campers around here after those games - mostly irrational meltdowns. LSU is a great team and things have worked out for them so far. But your envy of them and using it to tear down the Sooners is over the top. No one is stopping you from buying a Geaux Tiger T-shirt and joining their board.

I agree with oumartin's opinion over yours. He is making a simple comparison of the best team against us. They are where we want to be. As soon as we accept losing games we are supposed to win without having something to say about it there will be a problem.

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 07:28 PM
I really don't like LSU, but there is little arguing that they are not deserving of the #1 ranking and a shot at a national title. I just don't want to see a rematch, but that is looking like the case.

FaninAma
11/25/2011, 07:47 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/398115-the-10-worst-college-football-teams-for-oversigning-recruits/page/11

Over the past 4 recruiting classes OU has signed 91 players, LSU 105 and Alabama 113. If you don't see what an advantage this is for SEC teams then you are absolutely nuts.

I wonder if we might have found a few more good DBs or DL depth had we signed 14 or 22 more players.

TXBOOMER
11/25/2011, 07:59 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/398115-the-10-worst-college-football-teams-for-oversigning-recruits/page/11

Over the past 4 recruiting classes OU has signed 91 players, LSU 105 and Alabama 113. If you don't see what an advantage this is for SEC teams then you are absolutely nuts.

I wonder if we might have found a few more good DBs or DL depth had we signed 14 or 22 more players.

Or maybe we would have 5 more kickkers on skolly.

Sabanball
11/25/2011, 08:26 PM

EVERY elite program oversigns players--some just more than others.

marfacowboy
11/25/2011, 08:26 PM
I really don't like LSU, but there is little arguing that they are not deserving of the #1 ranking and a shot at a national title. I just don't want to see a rematch, but that is looking like the case.

All of us might as well face up to the fact the only eligible team that can play with them is Alabama.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 08:29 PM
All of us might as well face up to the fact the only eligible team that can play with them is Alabama.

Or Oklahoma State,, boy thats gotta burn a bit huh sunshine pumpers.

AlboSooner
11/25/2011, 08:35 PM
Can we just crown them and move on? LSU is the best team this year. Period. Its over.

We know the answer to "how would LSU deal with a B12 offense." look how they played against Arkie.

Blue
11/25/2011, 08:45 PM
EVERY elite program oversigns players--some just more than others.

The article said that you would say that.

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2011, 08:46 PM
Amazing how most of that list is SEC schools

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2011, 08:47 PM
I agree with oumartin's opinion over yours. He is making a simple comparison of the best team against us. They are where we want to be. As soon as we accept losing games we are supposed to win without having something to say about it there will be a problem.

I have no problem praising LSU's team. But I see no value in snide remarks like "there goes another TD by RGIII". That's not talking football or comparing teams. Just being a doosh. And to say our fans were happy losing to TT or Baylor is incorrect.

SoonerorLater
11/25/2011, 08:48 PM

I absolutely agree. 14 to 22 players extra gives these teams a mulligan in the recruiting process. Those extra recruits let them fill the holes of their original mis-judgements. What the SEC does is NFL-like by a de facto cutting of players.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 08:49 PM
I have no problem praising LSU's team. But I see no value in snide remarks like "there goes another TD by RGIII". That's not talking football or comparing teams. Just being a doosh.

I wouldn't make snide comments if you people wouldn't cry anytime someone critisized something in crimson or talked about the ability of another team.

Quite being sissies

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2011, 08:50 PM
Why is this even legal? The NCAA needs to do something worthwhile and fix this

PrideTrombone
11/25/2011, 08:54 PM

FanInAma: I come here to discuss CFB. I respect OU's tradition and this message board, so I try to only involve myself in LSU threads. If there is a logical reason to dislike LSU, I won argue against it. My problems are with people who hate us for no good reason.

The LSU fans I encountered in New Orleans are all the reason I'll ever need.

Sabanball
11/25/2011, 09:04 PM

And to think you guys helped make it happen....

Sabanball
11/25/2011, 09:08 PM
The article said that you would say that.

Blue,

You act like it is against the rules--it is not. Athletic schollies are ONE year, renewable agreements. A coach is stupid if he does NOT oversign, given that some players don't pan out for various reasons. It's like any other organization--you have to plan for attrition. You as a business owner should know this better than others...

oumartin
11/25/2011, 09:08 PM

Actually I think we are wanting to help get OSU into the game moreso than Bama...

Don't underestimate this program and the voters.

Sabanball
11/25/2011, 09:12 PM
Actually I think we are wanting to help get OSU into the game moreso than Bama...

Don't underestimate this program and the voters.

You lost to ....Baylor, to help get the POKES into the game? Righttttt.....

11/25/2011, 09:13 PM
Actually I think WE are wanting to help get OSU into the game Huh!!!

oumartin
11/25/2011, 09:14 PM
You lost to ....Baylor, to help get the POKES into the game? Righttttt.....

Big 12, Big 12, Big 12!!!!

We do what we can for little brother.. you know, like you let Auburn win it all last year.

We want OSU to be on the same playing field as us as a program.

They lost to Iowa State so we had to do what we had to do.

SoonerorLater
11/25/2011, 09:29 PM
Blue,

You act like it is against the rules--it is not. Athletic schollies are ONE year, renewable agreements. A coach is stupid if he does NOT oversign, given that some players don't pan out for various reasons. It's like any other organization--you have to plan for attrition. You as a business owner should know this better than others...

First of all this is college football it's not supposed to be a business. I don't care what argument you make. When it becomes a business (as far as the players are concerned) then it needs to be dismantled. Attrition is one thing, cutting players because the institution made a bad recruiting decision is another. Athletes shouldn't have to pack up their bags and change schools on the whim of the coaching staff. If they're not good enough they shouldn't be offered in the first place. This shouldn't be the NFL where low performers are cut.

jkjsooner
11/25/2011, 09:30 PM
I'm a sooner fan but I'm not afraid to heap praise on another team..

I guess jealousy comes in Crimson

Heaping praise? Is that what you call it? Maybe go back and read some of your posts. You're doing a hell of a lot more than praising LSU.

oumartin
11/25/2011, 09:31 PM
Heaping praise? Is that what you call it? Maybe go back and read some of your posts. You're doing a hell of a lot more than praising LSU.

am I giving them a reach around?

jkjsooner
11/25/2011, 09:44 PM
Blue,

That argument can be used for signing more than 85 over a four year period. You've gone well beyond that. You're averaging 28 per year. That means you're doing more than cutting kids every year. It means you're signing 3 guys per year who are never going to get a scholarship - more if you didn't have room for 25.

That means you're not even giving them a one year agreement.

Do you realize that those three kids are bound to Alabama once they sign that agreement? Those three or more guys who never actually got a scholarship can't turn around and go to another D1 school. You've essentially screwed them over.

It is a mess that the NCAA needs to correct. They've done a little by allowing schools to give four year schollies but this only has teeth if the players know what they're getting at signing time.

If they do, you'll see Saban missing out on guys who finally realize at the time they're about to sign what is really being offered to them. More transparency will kill the practice...

What needs to be done:

1. As I said before, these new guaranteed four year scholarships need to be in the contract that the kid signs. That way he knows who is guaranteeing his scholarship and who isn't.

2. When a kid gets his scholarship revoked, he needs the option to transfer to another D1 school without having to sit out. If a coach doesn't like it, keep the kid on scholly. It's pretty simple.

The schools (especially the unethical ones) have too much power right now. There is no transparency and the rules favor the schools at the expense of the student athletes. If the NCAA really cares about the student athletes they could pass simple rules such as the ones above...

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 09:49 PM
First of all this is college football it's not supposed to be a business. I don't care what argument you make. When it becomes a business (as far as the players are concerned) then it needs to be dismantled. Attrition is one thing, cutting players because the institution made a bad recruiting decision is another. Athletes shouldn't have to pack up their bags and change schools on the whim of the coaching staff. If they're not good enough they shouldn't be offered in the first place. This shouldn't be the NFL where low performers are cut.

Not sure what you did to get all the red in your handy spek-o-meter, but I agree with everything you wrote...word for word.

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 09:51 PM

If you say so. The BCS is whom you should be thanking. Last time I saw, Bama was still ranked ahead of OU in the BCS prior to the Baylor loss. The best chance we had was hoping that a victory over OSU would be enough for the voters...but, it was no guarantee.

Blue
11/25/2011, 10:04 PM
Blue,

I was being sarcastic. I agree they should make it illegal or we should be doing the same thing.

OUInformant
11/25/2011, 10:09 PM
They're damn good. I won't deny that. Every single player is either fast and athletic or a damn monster. They're a rough bunch.
I remember watching their baseball team beat Texas a couple of years back, and I thought, "these are men against boys." They have superb athletes in track and field, football, baseball. They're just bigger, stronger, faster.
Maybe it's all that pollution in Cancer Alley. Maybe it's the crawfish. The boudain.

Actually, Texas had a great chance to beat them that year. They gave up game 1 in the later innings and LSU ended up winning in 3 games. But yeah, that LSU baseball team was stacked; they looked like a MLB team.

BlownGP
11/25/2011, 10:28 PM
It's not like New Orleans has great weather or that trashy stadium is anything to marvel over...

whoa whoa there buddy. I agree I think its BS this could be the 3rd home title game for LSU but the Superdome is not trashy..

Im a die hard saints fan and I've been to many games. Its far from trashy...

LSUdeek
11/25/2011, 10:56 PM
Actually, Texas had a great chance to beat them that year. They gave up game 1 in the later innings and LSU ended up winning in 3 games. But yeah, that LSU baseball team was stacked; they looked like a MLB team.

Game 1 was 7-6. Their ace shut us out in Game 2, but we steamrolled them in Game 3. That may have been the most talented LSU team ever.

Sabanball
11/25/2011, 11:00 PM

And you profess to be an OU fan? Coaches make wrong evaluations on talent all the time. So...you're saying just because a kid was good in HS then he should have an automatic, 4yr, free ride in college at a d-1 program? Then, after you answer that, do you REALLY think Bob evaluates talent like that? I assure you, he does not...

Sabanball
11/25/2011, 11:02 PM
I was being sarcastic. I agree they should make it illegal or we should be doing the same thing.

Oh..Ok. Sorry...Yes, Bob needs to get back in the game (if he has not already) and recruit using the same rules to his advantage that all of the other elite coaches are.

Sabanball
11/25/2011, 11:06 PM
If you say so. The BCS is whom you should be thanking. Last time I saw, Bama was still ranked ahead of OU in the BCS prior to the Baylor loss. The best chance we had was hoping that a victory over OSU would be enough for the voters...but, it was no guarantee.

You guys are part of the BCS--by losing to Baylor you helped open up the way for a rematch. Whether we get there and can win or not, well, that's a whole other argument. But I like our chances...

LSUdeek
11/25/2011, 11:08 PM
You guys are part of the BCS--by losing to Baylor you helped open up the way for a rematch. Whether we get there and can win or not, well, that's a whole other argument. But I like our chances...

I wouldn't. Not in the Dome, and not because you still struggle to pass the ball to players not named Richardson and defend the option. Also, apparently Lee won't be giving you any turnovers.

TUSooner
11/26/2011, 12:33 AM

This^^^^

TUSooner
11/26/2011, 12:42 AM
It is a mess that the NCAA needs to correct. They've done a little by allowing schools to give four year schollies but this only has teeth if the players know what they're getting at signing time.

If they do, you'll see Saban missing out on guys who finally realize at the time they're about to sign what is really being offered to them. More transparency will kill the practice...

What needs to be done:

1. As I said before, these new guaranteed four year scholarships need to be in the contract that the kid signs. That way he knows who is guaranteeing his scholarship and who isn't.

2. When a kid gets his scholarship revoked, he needs the option to transfer to another D1 school without having to sit out. If a coach doesn't like it, keep the kid on scholly. It's pretty simple.

The schools (especially the unethical ones) have too much power right now. There is no transparency and the rules favor the schools at the expense of the student athletes. If the NCAA really cares about the student athletes they could pass simple rules such as the ones above...

Yes.

And the Superdome is not a dump.

olevetonahill
11/26/2011, 03:16 AM
Yes.

And the Superdome is not a dump.

It was after Katrina :cheerful:

soonerhubs
11/26/2011, 07:04 AM
So since the NCAA doesn't care about student athletes, "elite" coaches are ones who exploit them. Got it!

jkjsooner
11/26/2011, 10:04 AM
So since the NCAA doesn't care about student athletes, "elite" coaches are ones who exploit them. Got it!

Exactly. Stoops needs to get in the game and start exploiting 18 year olds.

AlboSooner
11/26/2011, 10:58 AM
I feel like Alabama claimed another NC in this thread.

jkjsooner
11/26/2011, 02:53 PM
Of courese they have. They show up every year it's 80 miles down the road. It's not much of a neutral site when you have 80% of the fans in a domed stadium. I'd bet it's easier to play LSU in Baton Rouge than New Orleans. At least in Baton Rouge the noise has a way to escape.

I don't give a damn who thinks I'm making excuses. The situation as it is now has given SEC teams an advantage in 50% of the BCS sites and a huge advantage when LSU makes it to New Orleans.

Frankly, the commissioners of the Big 12, Big East, and Big 10 need to threaten to leave the BCS unless the site locations are more regionally distributed. If that means playing some games in northern domes then so be it. It's not like New Orleans has great weather or that trashy stadium is anything to marvel over...

You'd think that the NFL would have this problem as well but for whatever reason there has almost never been this sort of home field advantage in the Super Bowl. The NFL is also not shy about playing games in northern domes.

Considering I'm abouit the only one pushing to have BCS games rotate to other cities, I'm thinking the FX guys saw this post.

Maybe not but it's good to see someone else recognizes the inherent advantage the BCS locations give to certain schools.

11/26/2011, 04:31 PM
Considering I'm abouit the only one pushing to have BCS games rotate to other cities, I'm thinking the FX guys saw this post.

Maybe not but it's good to see someone else recognizes the inherent advantage the BCS locations give to certain schools.They just need to move the venue of the NC game away from the home state of both participants, or maybe play it in Hawaii every year.

FaninAma
11/26/2011, 06:19 PM
am I giving them a reach around?
No, but I hope you are wearing your knee pads if you have any knee problems.

soonerhubs
11/26/2011, 06:25 PM
Exactly. Stoops needs to get in the game and start exploiting 18 year olds.

Folks really don't want to hear about the ****ty ethics that are such a large part of the SEC, where secondary education is most definitely secondary, if not tertiary.

By all means, fans of the deep south, if you need to thump your chest about your "super-hardcore" football teams, do it! We'll never understand the boasting of a rival's January victory, but hey... that cult mentality has always escaped me (ironic, coming from a Mormon, I know...). I'm convinced the fans in college station will happily adopt the proxy fanbase mentality (I.e., "If our team fails, let's base our self worth on our rivals!").

I'm supposing most of these fans value the futures and educations of their players on the same level as their classy, promise reneging coaches.

If there is an oversigning bowl rematch, I will make it a point to miss it on principle alone. The fact that I'll be missing an overhyped snooze-fest is merely another perk. Pardon me while I go read a book. Can someone explain the word "book" in case Les Miles is lurking? TIA!