PDA

View Full Version : I still have not recovered.

HAMTTX
11/25/2011, 06:17 AM
I have to get a life. I still cannot watch football trying to digest the Baylor loss. I take this stuff way to seriously. I am old.

SicEmBaylor
11/25/2011, 06:25 AM
I have to get a life. I still cannot watch football trying to digest the Baylor loss. I take this stuff way to seriously. I am old.
It'll be ok!
:::::::HUGZ::::::::

BajaOklahoma
11/25/2011, 08:45 AM

Me too.
And a Baylor "friend" form work posted smug comments on facebook - I'm seriously thinking about de-friending her.

Keller Sooner
11/25/2011, 09:32 AM
I'm catching a hard time from my grandkids! I have one in med school at Tech and three others that are graduates of Baylor. I told all four to quit busting my hump, and of course, "wait til next year." :crushed:

Neath a Western Sky
11/25/2011, 10:32 AM
One of the hardest losses I ever remember, and one of the costliest. Winning out, including the Fiesta, will help some. Just not sure we're safe from a permanent pattern of the same disappointment with Brent helming the D. But maybe we can't expect more in this era of spreads, etc.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/25/2011, 10:34 AM
Neither loss this year is nearly as bad as losing to the 3 win osu team in 2001..

C&CDean
11/25/2011, 10:36 AM
Or to Tulsa at home.

LePetomaine
11/25/2011, 10:43 AM

That was a tough one. But the way I see it; I didn't play in it, I didn't coach in it, and I didn't bet on it. So, I was over it by the time Sunday morning pancakes rolled out. Try to think of it that way.

Phil
11/25/2011, 11:02 AM
Get over it. I was over it, oh, by the time I left the stadium.

olevetonahill
11/25/2011, 11:17 AM
In the Famous words of David Earl
GADOCADWI:biggrin:

AzianSooner
11/25/2011, 11:23 AM

Me too brother. I have the exact feeling.

I might need a cruise trip sometime next month.

tfoolry
11/25/2011, 11:39 AM
Snap out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrX9Ca7LSyQ&sns=em

SoonerKnight
11/25/2011, 11:49 AM
WTF! That is funny ****!! Roid Rage!!! Ask question 10 feet away next time!! LOL!

NormanPride
11/25/2011, 11:53 AM
This is badger, your psychologist.

Tell me, what, exactly, do you have invested in OU football besides t-shirts, tickets and travel?

Consider the players who have invested hours in practice and the injury toll from playing the game. Consider the coaches who have millions of dollars in salary pressure and all of their recruiting and game film hours spent away from their families and a chance at a normal life. Consider the boosters who pay millions to get the best seats and an audience with OU admin ears.

I once had my holiday vacation plans determined on how well OU football played, so of course I held my breath a little bit every time Trey DiCarlo lined up to kick. Now that I'm out and a average joe (jane) alum like thousands others, the only vested interest I have left is t-shirts, tickets and travel... and I guess time.

To keep things in perspective, many have relatively little invested in OU football and get little in return after wins and little repercussions after losses. Try to gauge your reaction to losses based on this and you might feel less bad about something that will impact you personally very little in the long run :)

Neath a Western Sky
11/25/2011, 11:55 AM
The Baylor loss rises to one of the worst ever because, assuming we defeated I-State and OSU, it directly derailed us from a national championship revenge match against a team we all despise.

C&CDean
11/25/2011, 12:03 PM
The Baylor loss rises to one of the worst ever because, assuming we defeated I-State and OSU, it directly derailed us from a national championship revenge match against a team we all despise.

Wrong. The loss to a ranked Baylor team at their place pales in comparison to the loss to an unranked POS TT team at home. It ain't even close.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/25/2011, 12:25 PM
Neither loss this year is nearly as bad as losing to the 3 win osu team in 2001..Amen!

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/25/2011, 12:26 PM
Or to Tulsa at home.Exactly.

tulsaoilerfan
11/25/2011, 12:47 PM
Wrong. The loss to a ranked Baylor team at their place pales in comparison to the loss to an unranked POS TT team at home. It ain't even close. Agreed

colleyvillesooner
11/25/2011, 12:51 PM
For ****s sake! Now I want us to lose to ISU so we can stop talking about Baylor.

Whet
11/25/2011, 01:06 PM
It is only a game. There will be other opportunities in coming years for another title run. OU isn't osu, where it is now, or never!

ouwasp
11/25/2011, 02:13 PM
After an OU loss, I quit reading the sports pages for a few days. At least the college football section. And I avoid talking football with my Dad, as he wishes to dissect every breakdown. And since I coached jr high football for many yrs I'm supposed to be able to offer easy-to-understand explanations. Last week he was still carrying on about ISU! The other day he was grumbling to my mom about me not wanting to talk about Baylor... heh... guess he copes by talking it out; I cope by letting it go...

BigTip
11/25/2011, 02:32 PM
I appreciate the logical discussions outlining that it's "just a game" and "what does it really matter?" They actually do help. Who said, "That if it's not going to make you money or get you laid, you really shouldn't worry about it." ?

But still......I was looking forward to walking around post-season thumping my chest here in Austin. So it DID impact me personally. I think what made the Baylor loss so painful was the roller coaster nature of the situation. The Tech game was like a shot in the gut of course, but then, through everything that happened with the national situation, we were back in the running again. But then, two touchdowns behind.......we're out of it again. But THEN, here we come back. Hey, if we score here, we'll be playing for the national title again. We do! But then.........

So it was like getting hit in the gut, but someone pulls you up, dusts you off, gives you a glass of water, asks how you are now.....then hits you in the gut again. Twice!

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 02:41 PM
If you still aren't over the loss, then may be it's time to get out and meet some people, or go for a walk, or take up a hobby. I didn't watch SportsCenter the night of the loss, but other than that, life moved on just fine.

I read a long time ago that domestic violence here in Denver jumped up 3 times the norm after a Broncos loss (I doubt that's the case these days). It's a sad statement when you take a loss personal that you had absolute zero part in the outcome (not that domestic violence is okay if you are a player, of course).

Everyone that knows me, knows about my love of OU, so it makes me an easy target after a loss. I'm not the kind of person that gets bent out of shape because of it, after-all, it is just a game and there are far more important things in life...like the leftover turkey I'm about to have on my day off while I watch LSU/Arkansas.

mdklatt
11/25/2011, 02:42 PM
For ****s sake! Now I want us to lose to ISU so we can stop talking about Baylor.

^^^^

THIS. Wait....

I Am Right
11/25/2011, 02:49 PM
Recover, I don't think so!

OUInformant
11/25/2011, 03:50 PM
I don't blame you. Every big-time OU fan I know is still sick to his stomach, including me. I love the BCS talk, ONLY when we are a part of it.

This game with Arkansas and LSU, and all these other big games, would be fun to watch had we not lost. In fact, I'm not watching.

I hope we see some changes on the defensive side of the ball after this year. At least that will make me feel that we are headed in the right direction (or at least one direction, good or bad). I think most of us feel that our program is moving sideways, that we are in a rut.

OUInformant
11/25/2011, 03:52 PM
Seriously I don't know how any true fan is still not shaking his head.

OUInformant
11/25/2011, 03:54 PM
If you still aren't over the loss, then may be it's time to get out and meet some people, or go for a walk, or take up a hobby. I didn't watch SportsCenter the night of the loss, but other than that, life moved on just fine.

I read a long time ago that domestic violence here in Denver jumped up 3 times the norm after a Broncos loss (I doubt that's the case these days). It's a sad statement when you take a loss personal that you had absolute zero part in the outcome (not that domestic violence is okay if you are a player, of course).

Everyone that knows me, knows about my love of OU, so it makes me an easy target after a loss. I'm not the kind of person that gets bent out of shape because of it, after-all, it is just a game and there are far more important things in life...like the leftover turkey I'm about to have on my day off while I watch LSU/Arkansas.

Nope. Plenty of pissed off fans have a life. If fact, now that we aren't watching college football, we have more free time on our Saturdays.

HAMTTX
11/25/2011, 05:15 PM
There is only one college football team to me. Oklahoma, that is it. When we lose I have a hard time watching sports center or going online. At least back in the 60's, 70's and 80's you could avoid it. Now, not so much because it is everywhere. I used to have the Sunday Oklahoman (sp.) mailed to me because it was the only way I could get any information on OU (I live in Georgia).Those that know me know I am a life long fan. Both in the good years, and the not so good years. I have never spoken poorly of a player because of their hard work, and that every other team out there is wanting to beat them. When they excel I wear it with pride. When they do something foolish, I remember their age and move on. I have always been gracious in victory, and congratulatory in a loss. Though it does sting. As the years have gone by and knowing there are more years behind me than in front of me I reflect on the fact that such a simple game has been there for me for so long. I remember the certain players like I actually knew them. Especially those of my youth. Steve Davis, David Overstreet the list is endless. Those were my heros, they could do no wrong. Maybe it was the era I grew up in. Walking through the stadium with my folks. The sites and sounds are always with me. Buried deep in ones memories. It kinda makes you who you are if you know what I mean. "Happy Thanksgiving" and god bless all.

soonervegas
11/25/2011, 05:23 PM
Don't allow your week to be dictated by 18-20 yr old kids who are just as worried about that threesome they have planned for Sunday night as they are covering that receiver lined up across from them.

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2011, 05:41 PM
Seriously I don't know how any true fan is still not shaking his head.

I'm not because I know these are basically kids (compared to me) and they want to win more than I could ever want them to. I also realize the other team is trying too.

bluedogok
11/25/2011, 06:26 PM
But still......I was looking forward to walking around post-season thumping my chest here in Austin.
I have found out the more crap you dish out the more you get back from others. I have never had an issue with UT fans giving me crap here in Austin because I have never given them crap. If you feel the need to trash talk then don't be surprised if it gets dumped back on you (not you personally, the general you). I've always thought trash talk was a worthless waste of time. I used to let it bother me, now it really doesn't bother me since my expectations are a couple of WTF losses in any given season. There are too many good players out there and you have to have a lot of luck with injuries, calls and turnovers to win it all, we had a bunch of that luck in the 2000 season.

As far as my UT friends it comes down to scoreboard, we have it over them for the past two seasons and they have absolutely no room to say anything after the abysmal seasons they have had in the past two. Of course, I have little interaction with then now that I am in Denver most of the time and after February it will be much less.

starclassic tama
11/25/2011, 06:48 PM
Wrong. The loss to a ranked Baylor team at their place pales in comparison to the loss to an unranked POS TT team at home. It ain't even close.bingo

PDXsooner
11/25/2011, 07:12 PM
First off, anyone that tells you they get over it immediately, or don't care that much are absolutely full of ****. Yes, if you have a healthy perspective and a busy life with other interests the emotional toll is much less, and a tough loss will linger a lot less.

But it is impossible to be a huge fan and follow the team and invest yourself emotionally and not suffer some kind of letdown after a loss. You can't just enjoy the highs and somehow not feel the lows. Doesn't work that way. You're either trying to rationalize the emotions in your own mind, or simply lying to try to make it seem like you aren't that into it.

That's just sports, man.

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 07:20 PM
Nope. Plenty of pissed off fans have a life. If fact, now that we aren't watching college football, we have more free time on our Saturdays.

Maybe I didn't word it correctly, or you misread, not sure. Am I disappointed that we've lost 2 this year? Sure I am, but I also want us to go undefeated every year. Am I pissed off? No, why would I be, I didn't play the game. I don't coach the team. I'm a fan. I've got two kids to get through school, a business to run and a life to lead. I don't have the extra energy to be "pissed off" over something that is completely and totally out of my control. If you (or others) want to spend your time that way, then have at it. But, you do know it changes nothing, right?

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 07:24 PM
First off, anyone that tells you they get over it immediately, or don't care that much are absolutely full of ****. Yes, if you have a healthy perspective and a busy life with other interests the emotional toll is much less, and a tough loss will linger a lot less.

But it is impossible to be a huge fan and follow the team and invest yourself emotionally and not suffer some kind of letdown after a loss. You can't just enjoy the highs and somehow not feel the lows. Doesn't work that way. You're either trying to rationalize the emotions in your own mind, or simply lying to try to make it seem like you aren't that into it.

That's just sports, man.

I agree that there is an emotional letdown after a loss (especially when the team is supposed to win). However, to what level you grieve a loss doesn't dictate your loyalty as a fan. Kinda like mourning a death, every one does it different. Doesn't mean that the person that dies meant less if they don't mourn as much/long, it's just different. Of course, there is a difference between a death and a Sooner loss...but not much :)

PDXsooner
11/25/2011, 07:29 PM
I agree that there is an emotional letdown after a loss (especially when the team is supposed to win). However, to what level you grieve a loss doesn't dictate your loyalty as a fan. Kinda like mourning a death, every one does it different. Doesn't mean that the person that dies meant less if they don't mourn as much/long, it's just different. Of course, there is a difference between a death and a Sooner loss...but not much :)

I agree. I'm not saying what level you get pissed dictates how much of a fan you are. I'm suggesting it's probably counter-balanced by how high you get when OU wins. I'm sure there are people who go to games who range from indifferent to genuinely psychotic.

But I come across way too many people who are huge fans that go into the "pretend they don't care" mode after a loss to try to curb the pain.

They may be able to fool themselves, but I guarantee they can't fool me. :biggrin:

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 07:36 PM
I agree. I'm not saying what level you get pissed dictates how much of a fan you are. I'm suggesting it's probably counter-balanced by how high you get when OU wins. I'm sure there are people who go to games who range from indifferent to genuinely psychotic.

But I come across way too many people who are huge fans that go into the "pretend they don't care" mode after a loss to try to curb the pain.

They may be able to fool themselves, but I guarantee they can't fool me. :biggrin:

I think it's come with age too. When I was younger, a loss (like the one to Baylor, or better yet, Tech) would have me not speaking for days. I guess I've just fine tuned the art of distracting myself after a loss. :)

BajaOklahoma
11/25/2011, 07:43 PM
I am not over the 84 RRS, the game we got ducked in and the one at tech. I expect that will be true until the moment I die.
I will get over the Baylor game.

And I will be at the game tomorrow, yelling like crazy.

Neath a Western Sky
11/25/2011, 09:32 PM
I don't blame you. Every big-time OU fan I know is still sick to his stomach, including me. I love the BCS talk, ONLY when we are a part of it.

This game with Arkansas and LSU, and all these other big games, would me fun to watch had we not lost. In fact, I'm not watching.

I hope we see some changes on the defensive side of the ball after this year. At least that will make me feel that we are headed in the right direction (or at least one direction, good or bad). I think most of us feel that our program is moving sideways, that we are in a rut.

Amen on all counts, OU Informant. My sentiments exactly at each point. I'm very proud of all the mature stalwarts on this site who took Baylor in stride, then were on to the more important things in their life, albeit with time to lecture those of us still stinging over the loss--and the loss of a title run that that ruinous defeat, one of the most devastating of the Stoops Era, meant, when the dominos in front of us had miraculously toppled. I'm not taking it in stride, I hope for some changes on the D side such as you suggest, and I'll be tailgating at 9 in the morning and cheering on the Crimson and Cream at 11.

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 09:36 PM
I am not over the 84 RRS, the game we got ducked in and the one at tech. I expect that will be true until the moment I die.
I will get over the Baylor game.

And I will be at the game tomorrow, yelling like crazy.

Truth is, I'm not sure I'll ever be over the trauma of the 07 Fiesta Bowl. But, I'm with you (except that I'm in Colorado)...I'll be cheering at the TV.

Soonerus
11/25/2011, 09:38 PM
I am over games now, but 78 Nebraska and loss to 3 win OSU are still hard to fathom...

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 09:38 PM
Amen on all counts, OU Informant. My sentiments exactly at each point. I'm very proud of all the mature stalwarts on this site who took Baylor in stride, then were on to the more important things in their life, albeit with time to lecture those of us still stinging over the loss--and the loss of a title run that that ruinous defeat, one of the most devastating of the Stoops Era, meant, when the dominos in front of us had miraculously toppled. I'm not taking it in stride, I hope for some changes on the D side such as you suggest, and I'll be tailgating at 9 in the morning and cheering on the Crimson and Cream at 11.

Lecturing? On an internet message board? Really?

If you feel "lectured" on the internet, maybe you take it too literal.

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 09:39 PM
I am over games now, but 78 Nebraska and loss to 3 win OSU are still hard to fathom...

rus, I contend that with age comes the ability to move on a little easier. Except that damn Fiesta Bowl.

OUInformant
11/25/2011, 10:19 PM
8timechamps,

I totally get your argument. In fact, my Mom tells me the same thing, I mean, word-for-word, as I scream at the TV.

But I, for some reason, am totally incapable of not getting mad / sad and depressed when OU loses, under the condition that we are like, right there, in the national title argument.

I mean, I was a student in the miracle that was 2000 (OU class of 2003), and I went to every OU game that year, including the Big 12 and BCS Championship Game (in fact, I drove to Miami in an old van because I didn't have money for a plane ticket). Since then, OU football is a part of my blood. Also, I knew a couple of the OU football players off Stoops' early teams, and I can tell you that the climate / mentality of the program has changed immensely.

Soonerus
11/25/2011, 10:23 PM
rus, I contend that with age comes the ability to move on a little easier. Except that damn Fiesta Bowl.

Are you talking about Boise...I was there, and I got over it pretty quick, still mind boggling ...

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 10:38 PM
Are you talking about Boise...I was there, and I got over it pretty quick, still mind boggling ...

Yeah, that one, for some reason, still gets to me. I think it is because I was overconfident that the game was just a formality, and we had already won. Then to see that statue of liberty replay every time BSU was on TV for years to come didn't help.

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 10:42 PM
8timechamps,

I totally get your argument. In fact, my Mom tells me the same thing, I mean, word-for-word, as I scream at the TV.

But I, for some reason, am totally incapable of not getting mad / sad and depressed when OU loses, under the condition that we are like, right there, in the national title argument.

I mean, I was a student in the miracle that was 2000 (OU class of 2003), and I went to every OU game that year, including the Big 12 and BCS Championship Game (in fact, I drove to Miami in an old van because I didn't have money for a plane ticket). Since then, OU football is a part of my blood. Also, I knew a couple of the OU football players off Stoops' early teams, and I can tell you that the climate / mentality of the program has changed immensely.

I get it. I've mentioned a couple of times that I think it's an age thing. I remember when a loss would raise my blood pressure (to probably dangerous levels). I just don't get as upset as I did when I was younger. Don't get me wrong, there's still depression after a loss, but I can put it perspective now and look forward to the next game a little quicker.

To say I don't understand is probably not true, because I have been there myself. Just don't have a heart attack over it... literally.

Soonerus
11/25/2011, 10:42 PM
Yeah, that one, for some reason, still gets to me. I think it is because I was overconfident that the game was just a formality, and we had already won. Then to see that statue of liberty replay every time BSU was on TV for years to come didn't help.

All true, I sat in the middle of the Boise State section...bad memories but their fans were about like Baylor fans...

oupride
11/26/2011, 07:07 AM
Don't defrined her, it will be 20 years before Baylor wins again.

oupride
11/26/2011, 07:10 AM
The tipped pass and catch is the one play that I will remember. I attended the game and it was surreal.

Plexis22
11/26/2011, 08:59 AM
The Sooner rallying cry "Wait til next year"

olevetonahill
11/26/2011, 09:22 AM

We aint Aggy:gary:

Sooner in Tampa
11/26/2011, 09:34 AM
Don't defrined her, it will be 20 years before Baylor wins again.
Or you could grudge fu....oh, wait, nevermind...

Neath a Western Sky
11/26/2011, 09:39 AM
Lecturing? On an internet message board? Really?

If you feel "lectured" on the internet, maybe you take it too literal.

Well, I have been accused of being overly literal at certain points in my life, LOL, so I'll accept that admonition in good cheer. I just know that part of why this site is so appreciated by all of us is that it's the place we can come to pour out our thoughts and feelings regarding OU football, amongst others who understand. As you've said referring to your own life, even the individual fan can find him or herself at different places regarding those feelings and reactions to games, etc., at different places in their life. People like me--and I'm one who's been a fan for multiple decades and still handles these things hard--can indeed profit from some of the posts that point us toward NOT leaping from the ledge ( :-) ). I just want to make sure there's a balance. Folks need to not feel intimidated into not occasionally raging or venting. And I'm not saying you personally were doing that. Of course, if I'm to remain consistent with my own point, then I guess if you wanted to do that, then I shouldn't try to intimidate you into not being intimidating!

Oh well...BOOMER!

picasso
11/26/2011, 10:47 AM
What, another conference title is probably what's in store.

What do you have for next year?

GDC
11/26/2011, 11:07 AM
Agony was Arkansas beating OU in the Orange Bowl and Billy Sims fumbling at the Nebraska goal line back in the 70s, when I was a kid. Now, I may be about to to have a stroke during the game, but I get over it pretty quick once the outcome is decided.

kenth68
11/26/2011, 04:39 PM
I had thought that Boise State was the worst, with the Statue of Liberty play. But Baylor is, Baylor.

Ah well, that was last week and we won this one.