PDA

View Full Version : If we win out and finish 11-2

Dale Ellis
11/24/2011, 11:40 AM
with wins over 4 bcs top 10 rated teams (at the time we played them), OSU, KSU, FSU, Stanford ( if we play them in the Fiesta Bowl) will it be considered a really good season?

SoonerorLater
11/24/2011, 11:48 AM
I think the shortest, best answer is no. It's hard for OU fans to describe the season as good when you lose to TT and Baylor.

rock on sooner
11/24/2011, 11:55 AM
Well, let's think about this...We win 85% of our games..we win the conference...play in and win a BCS bowl...IMO only a really jaded
person can classify it as not really good. Fair to say, not great, but, yeah, really good.

Dale Ellis
11/24/2011, 11:56 AM
I think the shortest, best answer is no. It's hard for OU fans to describe the season as good when you lose to TT and Baylor.

I'm asking you to look at that season as a whole, not a two game segment of the season. I'm mad as hell we lost to TT and Baylor, but had we lost to FSU and OSU, still one the Big 12 and the Fiesta Bowl, would you feel any better?

Dale Ellis
11/24/2011, 11:58 AM
Pretty much every team that doesn't play in the BCS championship game is going to have a loss or two. If we win out we will finish 11-2, more than likely rated in the top 4-5.

C&CDean
11/24/2011, 12:05 PM
I think we should just quit football at OU and add field hockey. Lots less angst.

rock on sooner
11/24/2011, 12:07 PM
:biggrin:

IronHorseSooner
11/24/2011, 12:10 PM
I would consider a success, but not as big of a success as it could have been. Look, about 115 teams in America would trade spots with us at the end of the year. The possibility of winning the conference for the 8th time and winning the Fiesta Bowl for the second straight year is a great accomplishment. We had a boat-load of injuries that hit us at the wrong times. A lot about playing and winning a MNC is luck. We have for the past number of years been hit with a lot of critical injuries. That all being said, it has been a success, and a great building block for 2012.

SoonerorLater
11/24/2011, 12:15 PM
Yes I would feel better but still feel we had a team that didn't live up to it's potential. I guess in my case it's not just the losses but the way we lost. We had a defense out there that has looked lost on too many occasions. If we win out against ISU, OSU and ? then I guess we can assume at least some of the problems have been corrected.

IronHorseSooner
11/24/2011, 12:21 PM
I would like to see some guys who show potential for next year come forth, especially in the secondary. If we beat ISU and OSU, we would likely play Houston or BSU in the Fiesta. We need guys to step up, or Keenum and Moore will eat our lunch.

Sooner70
11/24/2011, 12:22 PM
I hate losing to TT & Baylor also, but I'd hate it worse if we lost to Texas & Okie State. Hopefully, we'll finish out strong & beat ISU & OSU. Both games will be tough.

OU is struggling to the finish line. Losing Whaley & Broyles didn't help the case, but looks like we've got some deep seated pass defense problems....don't know whether its the DL, secondary or maybe combination. OU needs to sew that up or Weedon/Blackmon will make life miserable Dec 3. OU's offense has scored enough to win if the D could hold the opposition, but it's not stellar in the red zone. Too many FG's vs TD's. At least maybe found a FG kicker in Hunicutt. Sure hope so.

FaninAma
11/24/2011, 12:28 PM
I think we should just quit football at OU and add field hockey. Lots less angst.

I think all the OU fans should become rowing fans. Cool venues and travel destinations. They sell beer and wine at a lot of their events and the participants are a heck of a lot better looking then the football players.

And, there is virtually no influence from officiating. Just womano v. womano.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/24/2011, 12:36 PM
It would be an ok season if this were to happen, but IMO it will not happen! Ou's d made RG3 look like Steve Young and Stoops failed to make a change when he acknowledged it at halftime. I expect that we will see the same d that we seen in Waco. OU will make Weeden and Blackmon look like Manning and Harrison. IMO

OU Adonis
11/24/2011, 01:44 PM
No.

PLaw
11/24/2011, 01:48 PM
Good, but frustrating. Too many injuries to key players. Losses that we're maddening. But, this is OKLAHOMA and we are not in the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP discussion from mid-November? That alone, sucks.

BOOMER

cvsooner
11/24/2011, 01:58 PM
It would be an ok season if this were to happen, but IMO it will not happen! Ou's d made RG3 look like Steve Young and Stoops failed to make a change when he acknowledged it at halftime. I expect that we will see the same d that we seen in Waco. OU will make Weeden and Blackmon look like Manning and Harrison. IMONo, Weeden and Blackmon on't have the same kind of day RGIII and Wright had. For one thing, lot less danger of Weeden running a mile, like Griffin could. Some of our defensive problem was worrying about Griffin getting out of the pocket.

Frankly, though, I think much of our secondary problem is due to shaky linebacker play. D backs look like they're trying to make sure they're there for run support because they have to be, or have had to be, much of this season. They really need to focus on their primary responsibility and not let that get away from them.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/24/2011, 02:05 PM
w/o our best WR, best RB, second best LB, and a less-than-100% best LB?

yes. Had we been healthy, no.

tfoolry
11/24/2011, 02:19 PM
Take a look at Stoops' contract and Big 12 championship and Fiesta appearance/win would definitely be a succe$$.........for Bob.

MeMyself&Me
11/24/2011, 02:50 PM
with wins over 4 bcs top 10 rated teams (at the time we played them), OSU, KSU, FSU, Stanford ( if we play them in the Fiesta Bowl) will it be considered a really good season?

Not meeting expectations is the definition of disappointment the way I see it. I don't see how you could call a disappointing season a good one. I can see how 115 other teams would like to have our disappointing season though. But we aren't them.

Zin
11/24/2011, 02:59 PM
I would consider it a good season. With injuries and a suspect secondary, an 11-2 season is awesome.

SicEmBaylor
11/24/2011, 03:06 PM
I think all the OU fans should become rowing fans. Cool venues and travel destinations. They sell beer and wine at a lot of their events and the participants are a heck of a lot better looking then the football players.

And, there is virtually no influence from officiating. Just womano v. womano.

I'd rather see OU become a swimming school.

Sooner70
11/24/2011, 03:12 PM
cvsooner

You may be on to something there. The years OU overall had outstanding season was when the linebacking corps was excellent. I could see with the situation we have now, they might try to do what you're saying, thus leaving things in secondary not covered so well.

I still don't understand why we couldn't put more pressure on RG3 though.....at the first of the game, OU was doing pretty well, but as the game wore on, it seemed he pretty much had all the time he need to either run or pass the ball. There were several times, though, when OU was a hairsbreath away from nabbing him.

rainiersooner
11/24/2011, 03:51 PM
cvsooner

You may be on to something there. The years OU overall had outstanding season was when the linebacking corps was excellent. I could see with the situation we have now, they might try to do what you're saying, thus leaving things in secondary not covered so well.

I still don't understand why we couldn't put more pressure on RG3 though.....at the first of the game, OU was doing pretty well, but as the game wore on, it seemed he pretty much had all the time he need to either run or pass the ball. There were several times, though, when OU was a hairsbreath away from nabbing him.

When we lost Ronnel Lewis, we lost the ability to contain RGIII inside.

To answer the original question...I would consider it a successful season...less than we expected, but as others have said, you can't underestimate the impact of injuries on the team.

Boomer!

soonervegas
11/24/2011, 04:06 PM
That's the ceiling for this staff, so in that context how can you rate it anything else but a success?

goingoneight
11/24/2011, 04:55 PM
Compared to 2005 and 2009, yes.

StoopTroup
11/24/2011, 05:15 PM
I feel awful that this Team wasn't able to win it all for Austin. He was a competitor and understood what it was to be a Sooner. I'm sure he pretty bummed about all our guys that have suffered injuries this year. I am bummed out. It's why we aren't in the hunt. I really hope that we are able to avoid serious injuries one of these seasons. We have had more than our share. Its got to be hard on our Coaches when they put so much into these guys and then have to depend on them to cheerlead their back ups so that the Team continues to play at the level they were playing prior to injury. As most of us know, it takes it's toll. I pray that all our Coaches, Players and Fans all use this time today to understand how blessed we all are to be able to enjoy some food and even offer some to those who would be alone today if it wasn't for some of us being so giving or even able to give. I am looking forward to Saturday's Game as much as any other Game as Saturday hopefully is the start of our next winning streak. God Bless everyone and Happy Thanksgiving and Boomer Sooner!

sendbaht
11/24/2011, 05:17 PM
IF??? we will win out and go 11-2....Boomer Sooner!!!

Keller Sooner
11/24/2011, 05:27 PM
I will consider it a success. It will mean we overcame our injuries and was able to put the wheels back on the wagon.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/24/2011, 05:57 PM
It would be a miracle and would mean we were able to come this slide we have been falling down.

StoopTroup
11/24/2011, 07:35 PM
It would be a miracle and would mean we were able to come this slide we have been falling down.

I'm afraid you are right. We have just got way to many things wrong and we are just to thin in Depth. We just didn't see very many guys step up as we lost key players. I'd like to see us win the next two games and if we do....it will be because of heart. I think if Jackson, Stills and Jaz and all the other guys start pulling down every ball that comes their way our Offense still has enough to outscore either of the last two Teams but if they have a Day like they did at Waco....we will lose at least one of the Games and I think everyone knows which one it will be. We really miss Ryan.

En_Fuego
11/24/2011, 07:40 PM
11-2 Season "Not Very Good"

I think it would be an excellent season. It just makes the 2000 Team that much more respected. Bad Moutha Fuka's

Thats what we need on this team, are some Bad Moutha Fuka's. We just don't have them.

OU_Sooners75
11/24/2011, 07:56 PM

Well....

1. I wouldn't be surprised if the PAC-12 gets two in BCS bowls, but I wouldn't be surprised if ND beats Stanford either.
2. FSU was never a top 10 BCS team. They were a top 5 AP and Coaches Poll team.
3. To win 11 games in a season is a very good season no matter what, even compared to the expectations (just or unjust) we put on our team.

AlboSooner
11/24/2011, 08:04 PM
This season didn't meet its goal. However, beat Okie st and bowl game and it has been a good season.

OU_Sooners75
11/24/2011, 08:06 PM
This season didn't meet its goal. However, beat Okie st and bowl game and it has been a good season.

What about Iowa State? Should we beat them too?

I mean, we (fans) thought we would walk into Baylor and win that one. We (fans) thought we would walk into our own stadium and beat Texas Tech.

jwmann2
11/24/2011, 08:09 PM

Losses are never good. Oklahoma has had a great season. What's wrong with camp starting in july and games starting in august? Of the 10 bcs teams, give the top 2 seeds a bye and have them playoff it out. Would take 4 weeks tops!

AlboSooner
11/24/2011, 08:11 PM

What about Iowa State? Should we beat them too?

I mean, we (fans) thought we would walk into Baylor and win that one. We (fans) thought we would walk into our own stadium and beat Texas Tech.

I hope we beat Iowa State. I don't think the fans had anything to do with OU's two losses. But hey, why muddy the rant with reason.

ouwasp
11/24/2011, 08:17 PM

I concur.

I Am Right
11/24/2011, 08:40 PM
We still lost to the sand Aggies and Baylor

soonercastor
11/24/2011, 09:51 PM

You posted in here just to say that? WTF.

To answer the OP, considering where we are right now it would be a success. However we could and should have done better if you consider the whole season. Last year for example was a HUGE success in my book, this year would be well below last year as far as success goes IMO. It's difficult to call a 10+ wins season and conference championship NOT a success.

TXBOOMER
11/24/2011, 10:05 PM
Losses to Tech at home and Baylor with the lofty expectations that were placed on this team by them have forfeited any chance at me saying it was a really good season.

LiveLaughLove
11/24/2011, 10:17 PM
If we win out (including the BCS game), it will be a very successful year.

Not the year we all had hoped, but another conference title and BCS win would be great.

Not sure I expect us to beat OSU though.

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2011, 12:19 AM
Given the players out for us, it will take some real heart to win the next 2. And if we can do it, we'll get a quality team in the bowl that will be a real challenge too. Go for it, guys!

dennis580
11/25/2011, 12:31 AM
IF we win out it WILL be a successful season, and nobody can claim otherwise. Big 12 championship, beat Texas, beat OSU, and BCS bowl win. Thats a successful season no matter where your at.

OU_Sooners75
11/25/2011, 12:32 AM
I hope we beat Iowa State. I don't think the fans had anything to do with OU's two losses. But hey, why muddy the rant with reason.

Obviously you are too stupid to understand what I just stated. No real surprise there.

Fact is, you failed to mention Iowa State. Your reasoning went out the damn window when you forgot to add this weekend's game.

dennis580
11/25/2011, 12:33 AM

Its far better to lose to Tech, and Baylor then it is to Texas, and OSU. Tech, and Baylor are just another game, but Texas, and OSU are the ones that the fans, coaches, and players really care about.

oudavid1
11/25/2011, 01:00 AM

really getting sick of this argument. Texas is 7-4 and we bashed their freshman QB. Florida State is the 1st or 2nd most disappointing team in the country, Kansas State's best win is....uh....anyway, Oklahoma State and Stanford would be the big wins, and the only ones in my opinion.

BASSooner
11/25/2011, 01:32 AM
OU this season reminds me of a Pete Carrol-type USC team. Full of talent and won the big games when they mattered most. However, when little sisters came along, we didn't take them seriously and they surprised us.

Soonerjeepman
11/25/2011, 09:52 AM
w/o our best WR, best RB, second best LB, and a less-than-100% best LB?

yes. Had we been healthy, no.

this...and for those who say osu will pull a bu on us...ummm don't think so...weeden can't get his wheelchair to go that fast...he just sits there...we won't have to worry about that...

mdklatt
11/25/2011, 02:26 PM
I see a lot complaining about not living up to expectations, but weren't a lot of those expectations unrealistic? Maybe Tech was a fluke, but then we did the same thing against Baylor. This is not a championship-caliber team this year. It's just not. After the Tech debacle I figured we'd go 1-2 at best against KSU, Baylor, and oSu. The KSU game gave me some false hope, but now I'm just hoping we find a way to win against ISU. 13-2 and a conference championship and a bowl win would be a great finish.

BoulderSooner79
11/25/2011, 06:10 PM
I see a lot complaining about not living up to expectations, but weren't a lot of those expectations unrealistic? Maybe Tech was a fluke, but then we did the same thing against Baylor. This is not a championship-caliber team this year. It's just not. After the Tech debacle I figured we'd go 1-2 at best against KSU, Baylor, and oSu. The KSU game gave me some false hope, but now I'm just hoping we find a way to win against ISU. 13-2 and a conference championship and a bowl win would be a great finish.

I thought the pre-season hype was unrealistic for reasons I've given before - we were not dominant in the trenches. But I still think we could have gotten to the title game if we had had unusually good luck on the injury front. 2 things happened for the good that I wasn't expecting - 1) the emergence of Whaley gave us an effective running game 2) Casey Walker was being disruptive at times from the DT position. The O-line was about as I expected - good on pass protection, but poor on run blocking. Somehow Whaley could produce regardless, but not consistently from the other backs. But once we lost Whaley in the TTech game, it showed how fragile we were as far as depth. Then losing Broyles and R. Lewis against Baylor exposed our depth issues even more. The passing game became inconsistent and then we lost our ability to contain RGIII or get a decent pass rush. We should have still won that game, but we showed we are not much better than Baylor right now. I.e., it was not a fluke like the TTech game was. I feel really bad for the kids because they seemed to have a special chemistry.

oudivesherpa
11/25/2011, 07:42 PM
If we win out at 11-2 and beat Okie State, will T-Boone still buy the Pokes rings that state on the face, "Big XII CO-Champs" and on the inside of the ring, Still can't beat OU!

Since71ASooner4Life
11/25/2011, 09:02 PM

Would be a typical OU season (very good), but not a fantastic season (going to NC game, which has happened so often the last 10 years its almost expected)

Zing
11/26/2011, 02:06 AM
If, at the beginning of the season, you had told me that Oklahoma would go 11-2, dropping games to Baylor and Texas Tech, I would have called that a failure of a year given the kind of team we had.

If you would have then gone on to tell me all of the starters we would lose throughout the season, my attitude would have shifted to one of resignation. This sort of thing is almost becoming our calling card: Hot out of the gate, then lose some key players, and burn out later on in the year due to a much less capable second string.

Unfortunately, the rest of the country doesn't see the injuries behind the losses, all they see is Oklahoma losing a bowl game, "again."

MamaMia
11/26/2011, 02:18 AM
I consider it a good season when we win all the games we are suppose to win, and only lose to teams who are actually better than we are.