PDA

View Full Version : T-Day Menu

SanJoaquinSooner
11/23/2011, 10:32 AM
Turkey. I'm trying a dry brine method this year.
Honey-baked Spiral Sliced Ham
Cornbread Dressing
Fresh Cranberry Sauce
Marinated Mushrooms
Coleslaw (oil & vinegar based)
Olives
Stuffed Celery
Jalapenos
Jello
Alton Brown's Baked Mac & Cheese
Fresh Spinach & Romaine Salad w/ French Vinegarette
Pecan Pie

On the bubble (probably 2 of the following):
Broccoli & Rice Casserole
Crockpot Green Beans, Potatoes, & Salt Pork
Oven Baked Vegetables: Red Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Brussel Sprouts, Red Onion, & Butternut Squash tossed w/ Olive Oil.
Pinto Beans.

Breadburner
11/23/2011, 10:40 AM
Dry Brine is bunk......

SanJoaquinSooner
11/23/2011, 10:42 AM
Dry Brine is bunk......

Why?

BajaOklahoma
11/23/2011, 01:05 PM
Small group, so we are having:
turkey breast, grilled
mashed potatoes and turkey gravy
jello, with apples, bananas and marshmellows
rolls
cornbread dressing - I'm trying it in muffin tins for more crunchy, which everyone likes
veggie tray
fruit tray
cheese tray
chips and homemade salsa
apple pie
cherry pie
And whatever the others bring over.

olevetonahill
11/23/2011, 01:13 PM
Going to My sons this evening . Tomorrow Ill either Go to the local restaurant or just grill me a Steak er Burger

Doged
11/23/2011, 02:59 PM
Turkey, roasted with a cayenne pepper mix rub
Lobster, steamed
Brisket, smoked
Clam chowder
Dressing, one batch made with ground sausage, the other with sliced hot links
Habenero potato chunks, roasted
Green bean casserole
Brocoli, steamed
Cheese tray
Stuffed celery
about 3 or 4 different pies
various other stuff that the wife hasn't mentioned, I'm sure, plus whatever the other folks are bringing.....good eats!

Flagstaffsooner
11/23/2011, 05:28 PM
Frozen TV dinner.

StoopTroup
11/23/2011, 07:50 PM
Brent Venables uses Dry Brine

soonerinabilene
11/23/2011, 09:02 PM
Im trying alton brown's brine... Should be top notch.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/23/2011, 09:26 PM
Frozen TV dinner.

yummmmmmmmm turkey and dressing.......

http://thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainn ameatlonglast.com/images/tvdinner.JPG

SanJoaquinSooner
11/23/2011, 09:35 PM
Brent Venables uses Dry Brine

After reading more about it, I decided against it. It seems best suited for a small turkey, 12 to 18 lb. and really needs two days.

Mine is 26 lb.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/23/2011, 09:37 PM
Turkey, roasted with a cayenne pepper mix rub
Lobster, steamed
Brisket, smoked
Clam chowder
Dressing, one batch made with ground sausage, the other with sliced hot links
Habenero potato chunks, roasted
Green bean casserole
Brocoli, steamed
Cheese tray
Stuffed celery
about 3 or 4 different pies
various other stuff that the wife hasn't mentioned, I'm sure, plus whatever the other folks are bringing.....good eats!

are lobster and clam chowder a traditional part of your thanksgiving dinner?

SanJoaquinSooner
11/24/2011, 01:24 AM
I did Carolina Slaw. I've never used dry mustard in slaw before. All the other ingredients are standard for me.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/coleslawcabbagesalads/r/bl90612a.htm

olevetonahill
11/24/2011, 03:27 AM
I did Carolina Slaw. I've never used dry mustard in slaw before. All the other ingredients are standard for me.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/coleslawcabbagesalads/r/bl90612a.htm
When I make slaw I never use that much sugar do use splenda tho
dont use reg Vinegar either. I use Dill pickle juice, about the same amount of mayo as Oil and dont use the oil

swardboy
11/24/2011, 07:52 AM
I smoke a whole turkey and bake a turkey breast in the oven. This year I smoked my turkey the day before. Will carve the bird cold which is a whole lot easier, then warm it up. I figure turkey always seems to taste best a day or two after cooking...shall see.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/24/2011, 11:06 AM
When I make slaw I never use that much sugar do use splenda tho
dont use reg Vinegar either. I use Dill pickle juice, about the same amount of mayo as Oil and dont use the oil

For Mexicans eating Thanksgiving food for the first time, the cole slaw is usually a shock -- they aren't expecting it to taste sweet. I think sweet cole slaw goes well with turkey. But I wish I had the ambition to make a good mole to go with the turkey.

The dill pickle juice makes sense. I use it when making potato salad. I've never used splenda when cooking. Too bad I already make my pecan pies last night.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/24/2011, 11:18 AM
Our T-giving is not until tomorrow. I'm making macaroni and cheese (homemade not outta the box) and broccoli rice casserole.

NormanPride
11/24/2011, 11:20 AM
Dry brining? It's a silly non-term to describe a salt rub.

As for us:

Turk & Stuff
Tater
Geen Been
Crayonberry Jally
Swet n Soor Onins
Croysant rols

And a bunch of other random munching stuff.

Lott's Bandana
11/24/2011, 06:01 PM
Brisket (smoked on grill)
Spaetzle
Cole Slaw - vinegar based
Rolls from scratch
Coconut Cake

NormanPride
11/24/2011, 06:38 PM
PILGRIMS DIDN'T HAVE COCONUT YOU HEATHEN!

Doged
11/24/2011, 09:04 PM
are lobster and clam chowder a traditional part of your thanksgiving dinner?

Yea, since about 1985 or so. My family and friends are all lobster addicts (or basically any seafood) so we use pretty much any excuse to include it. King crab and halibut are other favorites.

I'm freakin' stuffed. The chow was nothing short of awesome!

BajaOklahoma
11/24/2011, 11:03 PM
On the Today Show, Bobby Flay said brining is used by people who tend to overcook the turkey. And he hates the little red pop-up thermometer -said it just indicates that you've reached the point of overcooking the turkey. <shrug>

If you like the crunchy edges of dressing, start cooking it in muffin tins. It was great.

C&CDean
11/25/2011, 10:20 AM
I was in El Patio in OKC buying 10-dozen tamales when some Mexican dude goes "no turkey, tamales?" I go "turkey y tamales."

We went to my brother's in Dallas (the first time we haven't hunted deer/turkey/squirrel on T-Giving since I can remember). We had turkey, ham, tamales, smashed taters, green bean & mushroom casserole, sweet taters, pickled beets, okra, green beans, & jalapenos, homemade rolls, gravy, pecan, pumpkin, and rhubarb pie. Driving home last night sucked.

NormanPride
11/25/2011, 10:24 AM
Happy pain.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/25/2011, 07:54 PM
If Midtowner comes around here, don't give him a turkey leg. He dissed this thread over on the political board.:livid:

Lott's Bandana
11/25/2011, 08:33 PM
PILGRIMS DIDN'T HAVE COCONUT YOU HEATHEN!

My "Pilgrims" were Maori.

not really.

delhalew
11/25/2011, 09:28 PM
I am old school. I include nothing ethnic, nor anything that swims in my feast. I wouldn't have room for it. I can barely see over my mound of dressing.

8timechamps
11/25/2011, 10:49 PM
I am old school. I include nothing ethnic, nor anything that swims in my feast. I wouldn't have room for it. I can barely see over my mound of dressing.

I'm with you, my Thanksgiving plate has looked the same for over 30 years.

Oh, and the fried turkey was the awesomest! All said, it took about an hour and a half from raw bird to fried skin. That sounds good again, I'm going to have some right now....