PDA

View Full Version : RGIII lock for Heisman?

deweydw
11/23/2011, 09:57 AM
Here ya go SicEm.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1297294

Olin Buchanan
Rivals.com College Football Staff Writer

If they weren't already aware, everyone who follows college football is learning what Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops already knew.

"He's an excellent player," Stoops said. "I've known that for a long time."

"He" is Baylor QB Robert Griffin III, who on Saturday led the Bears to a shocking 45-38 victory over Oklahoma.

A 34-yard touchdown pass with eight seconds left to Terrance Williams not only clinched an upset win over Oklahoma, it may have clinched an upset victory in the Heisman race. Doesn't "RGIII," as he's known in Waco, have to be the leading Heisman contender now?

Robert Griffin III
The main elements that go into winning the Heisman include impressive statistics, leadership, importance to the team, caliber of competition, victories and a "signature" play.

Griffin gets a check in all the categories.

Statistics: Griffin has passed for 3,572 yards and 33 touchdowns (with just five interceptions) in 10 games. He's second in the nation in passing efficiency. He also has rushed for 550 yards and three touchdowns.

Leadership: Griffin has led last-minute, game-winning drives against TCU and OU.

Importance to team: Before last season, Baylor hadn't appeared in a bowl since 1994. Now, the Bears are bowl-eligible for the second consecutive season, and they will be in back-to-back bowls for the first time since 1991 and '92. The Bears are 114th in the nation in total defense, and without Griffin, they wouldn't be going bowling again.

Caliber of competition: Four of Baylor's opponents are ranked and another, Texas A&M, was ranked when it played Baylor. Baylor has a shot at tying for second in the Big 12.

Victories: The Bears are 7-3, and with two games left, they have a chance to reach nine wins for the first time since 1986. If they post a bowl victory, they could reach 10 wins for the first time since 1980. In addition, Baylor beat Oklahoma for the first time ever (the Bears had been 0-20 against the Sooners) and ended TCU's 25-game regular-season winning streak.

Signature play: Griffin has made several great plays this season, but the game-winning pass against Oklahoma was spectacular. He moved out of the pocket to his left, stood strong in the face of the rush and made a perfect throw across the field for the touchdown.

"Another day at the office for Robert," Baylor coach Art Briles said after the win over OU. "He's been doing that for three or four years. If the ball is in his hand, he's going to make good things happen because he's very intelligent, very passionate and very gifted."

Stoops could've told you that.

The top five Heisman candidates this week:

1. QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor: Griffin has passed for more than 400 yards and at least three touchdowns in four of the past five games. He leads the nation in total offense with an average of 412.2 yards per game (3,572 passing yards, 550 rushing). He's second nationally in passing efficiency, fifth in passing yards per game and sixth in total passing yardage.

2. QB Andrew Luck, Stanford: He has tossed at least two touchdown passes in every game this season. Luck has passed for 2,937 yards and 31 touchdowns, with eight interceptions. He's fifth in the nation in passing efficiency. He also has Stanford on track for an 11-1 regular season.

3. RB Trent Richardson, Alabama: He has rushed for 1,380 yards and 20 touchdowns, and has added 322 receiving yards and two touchdowns despite facing seven opponents that rank among the nation's top 44 in total defense.

4. QB Matt Barkley, USC: He has come on strong, throwing at least three touchdown passes in four of his past five games. He was excellent in an upset victory over Oregon and played well in a near-miss against Stanford. He's in the top 15 in all major passing categories. He has thrown for 3,105 yards with 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

5. QB Case Keenum, Houston: Winning the Heisman is about more than statistics and Houston's schedule is infested with weak opponents. Still, Keenum's performance deserves consideration. He leads the nation with 4,269 passing yards and 38 touchdowns, and has thrown just three interceptions for the unbeaten Cougars.

sooner59
11/23/2011, 10:14 AM
Well, he has a shot. He has Texas Tech at Jerry World and Texas in Waco. If Baylor wins out and he is impressive, RG3 will have Baylor ranked in the top 15, maybe hovering around the #12 position, even. He will have also lead Baylor to a 9-3 season with Baylor's first win over Oklahoma, and a signature Heisman moment to doom the Sooners. It would depend on what Luck and Richardson do this Saturday. Stanford has Notre Dame and Bama has Auburn. If one of them lights the world on fire Saturday, it will be tough for RG3. If Arkansas beats LSU, Richardson will have another game against Georgia to impress voters. However, if this is the last game for both, and if Baylor beats Tech this weekend....RG3 will have the big stage to himself to make one final statement to voters against Texas. Then you can say RG3 lead Baylor to a 9-3 season with wins over OU and Texas. So he doesn't have it in hand, but if he wins out, I see him winning it.

charles davis
11/23/2011, 10:34 AM
Well, he has a shot. He has Texas Tech at Jerry World and Texas in Waco. If Baylor wins out and he is impressive, RG3 will have Baylor ranked in the top 15, maybe hovering around the #12 position, even. He will have also lead Baylor to a 9-3 season with Baylor's first win over Oklahoma, and a signature Heisman moment to doom the Sooners. It would depend on what Luck and Richardson do this Saturday. Stanford has Notre Dame and Bama has Auburn. If one of them lights the world on fire Saturday, it will be tough for RG3. If Arkansas beats LSU, Richardson will have another game against Georgia to impress voters. However, if this is the last game for both, and if Baylor beats Tech this weekend....RG3 will have the big stage to himself to make one final statement to voters against Texas. Then you can say RG3 lead Baylor to a 9-3 season with wins over OU and Texas. So he doesn't have it in hand, but if he wins out, I see him winning it.

RG111 was not recruited very much in high school,and his high school coach " Jack Welch" called baylor and told the head coach that he had better QB on his team than baylor had on campus. that is the rest of the story.

Breadburner
11/23/2011, 10:39 AM
Aaaaaannnnndd.....No....

Dale Ellis
11/23/2011, 10:44 AM
Here ya go SicEm.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1297294

I would hope any good D1 QB could throw the ball down field to a guy who's got no defenders within 25 yards of them. People are "raving" about the game he had against OU. All I saw was a guy lobbing the ball 30 yards to a wide open receive.

deweydw
11/23/2011, 10:48 AM
Along with the lucky tip balls go his way.

SoonerCLF
11/23/2011, 11:35 AM
I think Luck is still the favorite right now, if he plays solid the rest of the way it's his. Richardson would really have to carry the Bama offense and put up some gaudy numbers to take it away. Same for RGIII, he would really have to light it up with '08 Bradford like numbers in these final games of the season to overtake Luck.

yermom
11/23/2011, 11:39 AM
if they win out, he might have a chance

achiro
11/23/2011, 11:52 AM
I would hope any good D1 QB could throw the ball down field to a guy who's got no defenders within 25 yards of them. People are "raving" about the game he had against OU. All I saw was a guy lobbing the ball 30 yards to a wide open receive.

Along with the lucky tip balls go his way.
This. He also missed some wide open recievers and has had some terrible games. Much worse than any of the other front runners.

StoopTroup
11/23/2011, 12:01 PM
Not a chance. He has to have blind officials to let the shove offs by his WRs go to be able to go +50%,

StoopTroup
11/23/2011, 12:02 PM
RG111 was not recruited very much in high school,and his high school coach " Jack Welch" called baylor and told the head coach that he had better QB on his team than baylor had on campus. that is the rest of the story.

Welch the "Juice Guy"?

charles davis
11/23/2011, 12:18 PM
Jack Welch is one of the best coaches in texas in the 5a class , just like briles was.

StoopTroup
11/23/2011, 12:29 PM
So it is the Juice guy?

He was fantastic at Kansas Wesleyan....lol

I Am Right
11/23/2011, 04:09 PM
Hope he wins, better than Weeden!!!!

8timechamps
11/23/2011, 06:23 PM
I know this is debated every year, but if the Heisman truly is for the best player in the country, then RG3 should win. My argument is that if you take him out of the Baylor line-up, they are a mediocre team, at best. Although Richardson has been great this year, I don't think he is as important to Bama as RG3 is to Baylor. Same with Luck....I bought the media hype early in the year, and I do think he is a good QB, but still think RG3 means more to his team.

StoopTroup
11/23/2011, 07:58 PM
With him in the Baylor lineup Baylor is a mediocre Team....either that or Brent Venables is a Defensive God that held RG3 to under 50 points.