PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Meyer Agrees to 7 year, $40M contract with Ohio State

sooner59
11/23/2011, 09:17 AM
Just saw on breaking news.

OklahomaTuba
11/23/2011, 09:38 AM
7 years? I doubt he lasts half that long...

Mississippi Sooner
11/23/2011, 09:39 AM
He's already denying it.

That probably means it's true.

rekamrettuB
11/23/2011, 09:40 AM
He should have held out for the Penn State job.

C&CDean
11/23/2011, 09:40 AM
FIRE VULNERABLES!!1!!

OklahomaTuba
11/23/2011, 09:41 AM
Damn, another job vulnerables can't take.

colleyvillesooner
11/23/2011, 09:51 AM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?163192-Rumor-Urban-Meyer-will-coach-Ohio-St-next-year

SportsbyBrooks beats the media outlets...again.

Widescreen
11/23/2011, 10:52 AM
Meyer is such a turd. I wonder how the UF faithful feel about this. Seems like his reason for leaving there was a lie.

Dan Thompson
11/23/2011, 10:54 AM
I guess he is the highest paid coach in college ball now at about $5,710,000 per year.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/23/2011, 11:19 AM
I wonder if he'll bring back this sweet stache like he had back in the 80's? :joyous:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R4WqOVy3H28/TfRTXE4WGpI/AAAAAAAACXk/9Ma_cN3VmKE/s1600/urbanmeyer_buckstache2.png

rekamrettuB
11/23/2011, 11:22 AM
Meyer is such a turd. I wonder how the UF faithful feel about this. Seems like his reason for leaving there was a lie.
I think the best quote out of this was Muschamp's: "with his deteriorating health, I wouldn't think he would (take OSU job)"

SoonerCLF
11/23/2011, 11:27 AM
Isn't the NCAA busy throwing the book at "THE" buckeyes. Will he even be allowed to participate in the "Post-season" with the remainder of Sweater vest's recruits or are they in the middle of getting a ban like the Trojans? Anyway, I'm hoping Urban will have some Rich Rod-like Big Ten success at Ohio State. Enjoy your stay in Columbus, *** clown!

I also wonder how much Herbie is going to suck up to him now that Urban is coaching his alma mater.

yermom
11/23/2011, 11:43 AM
this just seems odd all over the place

sooner59
11/23/2011, 12:03 PM
Stoops gets a raise?

trey
11/23/2011, 12:05 PM
I'm glad he's taking the osu job. I do not want him to replace mack.

rekamrettuB
11/23/2011, 12:06 PM
What happened to spending time with the family?

yermom
11/23/2011, 12:11 PM
well, he'll have the bowl season to spend with family, and all that reduced recruiting time

StoopTroup
11/23/2011, 12:16 PM
FIRE VULNERABLES!!1!!

He's not gone yet? Is Atwood's out of Tar and Feathers yet? :D

If it's not true....it should be IMO. I can see Bourbun as HC there.

tulsaoilerfan
11/23/2011, 12:19 PM
So Urban is a liar like most of the other college coaches? Imagine that

Sooner in Tampa
11/23/2011, 12:41 PM
3 of his 7 years will be on probation...good luck with that Urban...ya turd!

rainiersooner
11/23/2011, 12:44 PM
STOOPS TO ESPN!!!

yermom
11/23/2011, 01:20 PM

that part kinda makes sense. they would have to give him a long enough contract that guarantees that he would be there through all of that, and make it worthwhile to stay through penalties, etc...

but if he was having health issues, why would they think he'd hang around for 7 years after what happened in Florida?

Mad Dog Madsen
11/23/2011, 01:25 PM

Naw, he'll just retire after his first 8-5 season.

SoonerMarkVA
11/23/2011, 01:28 PM
Urban to daughter: "Daddy time's over. Beat it, kid."

goingoneight
11/23/2011, 01:30 PM
Something tells me he wanted out of UF to step down twice and it has nothing to do with health or family time.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/23/2011, 01:32 PM
Something tells me he wanted out of UF to step down twice and it has nothing to do with health or family time.

Tim Tebow prolly received improper benefits and was inelegible I bet. :distrust:

Sooner in Tampa
11/23/2011, 01:55 PM

The freaking cupboard was bare...that team is **** this year...he didn't want his name attacked to such a group of losers...he is a dickhead

Mad Dog Madsen
11/23/2011, 01:59 PM
The freaking cupboard was bare...that team is **** this year...he didn't want his name attacked to such a group of losers...he is a dickhead

I don't think it was bare... He had Top 5 recruiting classes almost every year he was there IIRC. It's up to the coaches to make them better after that.

PLaw
11/23/2011, 02:19 PM
I don't think it was bare... He had Top 5 recruiting classes almost every year he was there IIRC. It's up to the coaches to make them better after that.

Top 5 recruiting classes don't necessarily mean the depth chart is stacked. For evidence, look no further than 400 miles due South of Norman, Ok. The team alongside I-35 down there always has a Top 5 recruiting class, but can't find a reliable QB or RB. Just sayin'

PL

8timechamps
11/23/2011, 02:41 PM
I'm reading that Meyer said there is no deal, and he has not agreed to anything. In addition, the Ohio State athletic department says they have not offered Meyer the job. This is kinda crazy. But typical media. Here's the story: Link (http://start.toshiba.com/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9R6J0UG1%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=1013)

Mad Dog Madsen
11/23/2011, 02:57 PM
Top 5 recruiting classes don't necessarily mean the depth chart is stacked. For evidence, look no further than 400 miles due South of Norman, Ok. The team alongside I-35 down there always has a Top 5 recruiting class, but can't find a reliable QB or RB. Just sayin'

PL

But like I said it's up to the coaches to develop them and make them better. Florida has the talent and so does Texas. It comes down to coaching. We've all seen what Stoops can do with these lil 3-star under the radar guys he always gets...

cleller
11/23/2011, 04:10 PM
If Urban goes to Ohio State, they'll be a winning machine again, fast, or he'll pull the plug.

Whatever you think of him, he's a winner. Nebraska better enjoy the win they got this year over O-State.

Jacie
11/23/2011, 07:06 PM
Ex-Florida coach Meyer says no offer at Ohio State

By RUSTY MILLER, AP Sports Writer
35 minutes ago

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)—Despite numerous reports saying he’s all but set to become Ohio State’s next football coach, Urban Meyer said Wednesday that is not the case.

“I have not been offered any job nor is there a deal in place,” the former Florida coach said in a statement released through ESPN, where he is a college football analyst. “I plan on spending Thanksgiving with my family and will not comment on this any further.”

Several websites, TV stations and The Columbus Dispatch have reported that Meyer has reached an agreement in principle with Ohio State and, barring any last-minute problems, will be introduced as the Buckeyes’ coach next week.

People within the athletic department and close to the team told The Associated Press the job has not been offered to Meyer and nothing has been completed. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the coaching search is supposed to be confidential. Athletic director Gene Smith declined to comment Wednesday.

Ohio State, under interim coach Luke Fickell, plays at No. 17 Michigan on Saturday. Fickell, who some reports have said will be retained on Meyer’s staff, declined to address the story, which has been percolating for days.

“No, I won’t,” he said Wednesday. “It’s not about that. I’m going to have enough respect for this football game to make sure it’s about this football game. I don’t think this is the time and the place.”

Speaking briefly to reporters, he was asked if he knew whether a decision on a new coach had been reached.

“I know there’s a game at noon on Saturday,” he said.

Meyer is from Ashtabula and was a graduate assistant at Ohio State under Earle Bruce in the 1980s. He grew up an Ohio State fan and has said he has a portrait of legendary Buckeyes coach Woody Hayes hanging prominently in his home.

In addition to winning national titles in Florida in 2006 and 2008, he also has been a head coach at Bowling Green and Utah and worked as an assistant at Notre Dame, Colorado State and Illinois State.

He announced in December 2009 he was stepping away from coaching because of health concerns, but quickly changed his mind. After taking a leave of absence, he returned to the sidelines for the 2010 season and then retired again in December.

Alabama coach Nick Saban said he would welcome Meyer back into the coaching fraternity.

“Urban Meyer is a very good coach, he’s a good teacher. He’s good for young people,” Saban said on the Southeastern Conference coaches conference call this week. “If coaching is in his heart, I think that’s what he should do.”

One of Meyer’s star players at Florida, Tim Tebow, also said he was glad to hear Meyer might be coming back to coaching.

“Whatever he decides to do, I’ll be 100 percent behind him,” said the Denver Broncos quarterback. “It will be exciting to see what happens. I know, more than anything, he wants to be right by his family and have their support in anything he does. Most of when we’ve talked it’s been about that. When he comes back, he’s going to be a great coach, and I’m excited to see what happens.”

Saban said he understood why Meyer had apparently changed his mind about returning to coaching.

“As you go through life and you do things and you make choices and decisions about what you do—and I know his involved circumstances around his health—but still you learn about yourself in everything you do,” Saban said. “As you learn these things, sometimes things change in terms of what his direction is. I think everybody has to do that, and I don’t think anybody should be criticized for that.”

Jim Tressel was pressured to resign on May 30 after 10 years as the coach of the Buckeyes. His downfall came about when it was learned that he knew that several of his players had accepted cash and tattoos from a tattoo parlor, the focus of a federal drug-trafficking investigation. Ohio State is awaiting NCAA penalties stemming from several violations.

Fickell, a defensive assistant coach for nine years, was promoted to head coach.

In a season with NCAA sanctions looming, several players suspended and injuries to important players, the Buckeyes have gone 6-5—their worst season since Tressel went 7-5 in his first season in 2001. Should the Buckeyes lose at Michigan on Saturday, the 6-6 mark would be their worst since John Cooper went 6-6 in 1999.

The speculation about Meyer has been making the rounds for weeks.

One of the top football recruits in Ohio for next fall, defensive end Adolphus Washington from Cincinnati’s Taft High School, committed to Ohio State on Tuesday. Asked at his news conference who he thought would be coaching the Buckeyes next season, he said, “I believe Urban Meyer. I hope so.”

sooner59
11/23/2011, 07:23 PM
Gotta deny it. tOSU plays Michigan in a few days. Need them to be focused.

SoonerCLF
11/23/2011, 07:40 PM
I'm sure there's a contract on his agents desk waiting for his signature.

StoopTroup
11/23/2011, 08:02 PM
Who knew that Tebow would be right behind Bourbun. It's probably a better way to limber up than Yoga.

hornswaggled
11/23/2011, 09:34 PM
I don't know why tOSU doesn't go after one of the local MAC coaches. They have offenses that score basketball-like numbers. The fact that they don't know how to play defense is not the coaches fault.

Breadburner
11/23/2011, 09:36 PM
I don't know why tOSU doesn't go after one of the local MAC coaches. They have offenses that score basketball-like numbers. The fact that they don't know how to play defense is not the coaches fault.

You mean like KU did....????

hornswaggled
11/23/2011, 09:50 PM
KU got a bargain for their money. They got a coach with great name recognition and a lot of sympathy with the national sports press. Gill is bound to turn the program around someday. In fact he already has turned it around from what Mangino did.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/23/2011, 11:55 PM
I'm glad he's taking the osu job. I do not want him to replace mack.This is the CORRECT answer!

the-rover
11/24/2011, 12:02 AM
KU got a bargain for their money. They got a coach with great name recognition and a lot of sympathy with the national sports press. Gill is bound to turn the program around someday. In fact he already has turned it around from what Mangino did.

heh.....yeah, I'm sure turning the program around wasn't what they had in mind....unless they were trying to cut their food budget.

cleller
11/24/2011, 09:05 AM
You'd think Kansas was located between Massachusetts and Vermont. Would rather hire a stylish coach and lose than have a big mean guy yelling at their boys.

AlboSooner
11/24/2011, 11:28 AM
He will never win a NC at OSU.

Hot Rod
11/28/2011, 08:17 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7289592/urban-meyer-joins-ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-1-year-hiatus-sources-say

Urban, make up your mind. 7 years? Doubt it.

OULenexaman
11/28/2011, 09:43 AM
He's an urban legend when it comes to lying.

badger
11/28/2011, 09:57 AM
How soon till he's sick (of that job) and chooses to spend time with his family (who must all work for ESPN also)?

OULenexaman
11/28/2011, 10:13 AM
I will go with 3 years...

rekamrettuB
11/28/2011, 10:17 AM
So did he "deny" it because Ohio State axed him to?

StoopTroup
11/28/2011, 10:27 AM
Tressel to Penn State?

OUInformant
11/28/2011, 11:34 AM
Well, tOSU is getting a great football coach. Good for them.

Stoops is going to have to up his game.

OULenexaman
11/28/2011, 11:38 AM
I think Tressel has his foot in the door for the upcoming Colts job. No way Caldwell survives this.

badger
11/28/2011, 12:02 PM
So did he "deny" it because Ohio State axed him to?

Remember that famous Star Wars argument "from a certain point of view?" Here's Urbie's exact words:

"I have not been offered any job nor is there a deal in place," the former Florida coach said in a statement released through ESPN, where he is a college football analyst. "I plan on spending Thanksgiving with my family and will not comment on this any further."

So basically, here's what probably happened so that he could deny everything up till the official announcement:

tOSU: Hey, wanna be our coach?
Urban: Yes!
tOSU: We're not giving you the job till after this interim incompetent loses to Meatchicken.
Urban: OK... how many millions?
tOSU: We could probably do just under $6 million... but we're officially offering till after we lose at the Big House.
Urban: So... I can deny everything because nothing's official?
tOSU: EXACTLY!
Urban: Hehe. I'll just tell everyone that I'm spending time with my family like always.
tOSU: Hey, it got you outta post-Tebow Florida, didn't it?
Urban: And this too: "Ohhhhh, I'm dying!"
tOSU: You aren't really dying, are you?
Urban: Hahahahahahah! No.

Jacie
11/28/2011, 12:24 PM
As I said in the other thread about this, the announcement would not come until after their game with UM, perhaps to show a little respect for Fickell, perhaps to help the team focus on the game and not on who would be their next coach.

In any event, Urban Liar is expected to be introduced as the new coach at tOSU around 5:00 p.m. today . . .

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
11/28/2011, 02:21 PM
I just heard it on the news on Fox radio 12 noon mountain time.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/28/2011, 03:25 PM
I heard that Mike Stoops might be headed to tosu with him, any truth to that?

Soonerfan88
11/28/2011, 03:58 PM
Don't know if it's been posted in any other threads yet, but Forde's column is dead on IMO. And Badger, that's the way I interpreted that statement also.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=pf-forde_meyer_credibility_urban_myth_112711

LASooner
11/28/2011, 04:11 PM
No better way to clean up your dirty program than hire a guy who had more off field arrests than anyone in the last few years.

Just win baby.

SoonerMom2
11/28/2011, 06:39 PM
Also saying in an ESPN email that Fickell is going to stay at OSU with Meyer and coach the Buckeyes in the bowl game. I agree with LA Sooner about all the off field arrests for UF that seemed to disappear all the time. IMHO, Meyer does not run a tight ship but is one of the do what you want to his players as long as they keep winning.

C&CDean
11/28/2011, 08:11 PM
What happened to spending time with the family?

He's just like some of the OU "fans" that didn't show up last Saturday. "had to hang out with the fam, yo, go ahead and crucify me for not being at the game, yo..." By "hanging out with the fam" they really meant "having a lie in (that's British, yo) with my X-box.