PDA

View Full Version : Whorn is at it again, politicking for...

Lott's Bandana
11/22/2011, 12:19 PM
...an annual Thanksgiving Day HOME game.

Since the NFL has a lock on Turkey Day, I'm guessing ESPN is on board with this?

:greedy_dollars:

Bourbon St Sooner
11/22/2011, 12:22 PM
They should play their new rival every year on the LHN on Thanksgiving - Kansas.

Flagstaffsooner
11/22/2011, 12:47 PM
All three subscribers will enjoy that.

MeMyself&Me
11/22/2011, 01:32 PM
I read something about that earlier. Looks like they want some sort of rotation with Tech, Baylor, TCU such that Texas has a home game every T-day. If those schools are cool with that, I don't see what the problem is. I know if I was in their shoes though, I would be saying if we're playing at your place on T-day, you've got to come to ours on T-day too.

kevpks
11/22/2011, 01:43 PM
The conference should just say hell no. However, I am sure UTSA is available.

MeMyself&Me
11/22/2011, 03:11 PM
To be clear, Dodds was talking about rotating those years with those schools so that the years that would be home games anyway for the whorns, they would be played on T-day. I'm sure that Dodds thinks he's doing these other schools a favor by getting them on TV on T-day. Who knows, maybe they'll see it that way. I've got to think though, that they'll say "if you want our fans to travel to your place on T-day one year, you're fans are going to have to travel to our place on T-day another year".

What they should do is a big FU Tejas and make Tech/Baylor and annual T-day game (already played that weekend) and then get TCU together with OU on that Friday now that OU is playing OSU the week after. This could all be done without Tejas concent and that would leave Tejas with no T-day option but maybe a home and home with someone from out of state... like say WV or someone non-conference (not likely). I know they don't want that.

In fact, I like the idea of getting together with TCU for T-day weekend. We can't have Nebbish. OSU just never seemed right and isn't that weekend now anyway. TCU would be good and close to home for traveling OU fans for the away years... many wouldn't even have to travel.

StoopTroup
11/22/2011, 03:21 PM
They should play their new rival every year on the LHN on Thanksgiving - Kansas.

ROTFLMFAO

sooneron
11/22/2011, 04:14 PM
Why should those arrogant pricks get to dictate that their last game is always at home? **** them.

cccasooner2
11/22/2011, 04:59 PM
At a guaranteed $30,000,000 per game, sure.

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2011, 05:31 PM
To be clear, Dodds was talking about rotating those years with those schools so that the years that would be home games anyway for the whorns, they would be played on T-day. I'm sure that Dodds thinks he's doing these other schools a favor by getting them on TV on T-day. Who knows, maybe they'll see it that way. I've got to think though, that they'll say "if you want our fans to travel to your place on T-day one year, you're fans are going to have to travel to our place on T-day another year".

What they should do is a big FU Tejas and make Tech/Baylor and annual T-day game (already played that weekend) and then get TCU together with OU on that Friday now that OU is playing OSU the week after. This could all be done without Tejas concent and that would leave Tejas with no T-day option but maybe a home and home with someone from out of state... like say WV or someone non-conference (not likely). I know they don't want that.

In fact, I like the idea of getting together with TCU for T-day weekend. We can't have Nebbish. OSU just never seemed right and isn't that weekend now anyway. TCU would be good and close to home for traveling OU fans for the away years... many wouldn't even have to travel.

I think a TCU/Baylor match up makes a lot more sense than Tech/Baylor. TCU is Baylor's oldest (and truth be told biggest) rival with the series tied at 50-50-7.

MeMyself&Me
11/22/2011, 08:28 PM
I think a TCU/Baylor match up makes a lot more sense than Tech/Baylor. TCU is Baylor's oldest (and truth be told biggest) rival with the series tied at 50-50-7.

You may be right but Tech and Baylor already have been playing on that weekend for a while. Would have to move that one away from there to make that weekend a Baylor/TCU thing. At this point, it would make more sense for Baylor and Tech to continue with playing each other on T-day weekend and then Baylor play TCU a week later (like OU playing OSU a week later). Then that leaves TCU and OU looking for something T-day weekend.

I'm not saying it would happen but I'd rather be doing home and homes with TCU on T-day weekend than playing random teams like ISU on T-day weekend.

StoopTroup
11/22/2011, 08:40 PM

What do the folks on the TCU Boards say? Have you discussed it with them?

StoopTroup
11/22/2011, 08:41 PM
Why should those arrogant pricks get to dictate that their last game is always at home? **** them.

You had me at Arrogant Pricks....

Nice job.

Jacie
11/22/2011, 09:44 PM
Why does anyone on this board even care if sa*et wants to play at home Thanksgiving night? It isn't like they enjoy an unusual home field advantage. While Sooner fans were sick at seeing the longest (then) home winning streak come to an end this season, look at the whorn home W-L record for this year and last:

2011 4-1
2010 2-5

They also lost a home game in 2007, two in 2006 and once in 2003.

The UTerus fan base considers itself lucky if they only lose one game at DKR Stadium in a season.

MeMyself&Me
11/22/2011, 10:01 PM
As I stated in my first post in this thread, I don't have a problem if the other schools involved agree to it. This isn't something that Texas can 'dictate' as someone else put it. The other schools have to want to do it too. Maybe they will. Notre Dame always plays on the road on T-day so maybe these lesser schools want to too. I just think it's a bit arrogant of Texas to put it out there the way it was put out there. After all, if I'm a fan of Tech for instance, that goes to a lot of the local games, home and away, I'll be pissed as hell if I have to go to a game in Austin on Thanksgiving but there is no return value to Lubbock on Thanksgiving.

That aside, I'm liking the idea more and more of doing a regular home and home with TCU on T-day weekend, preferably the Friday. This is something the admin should be looking into. Dodds has already said that Texas would not replace aTm with TCU as home and home on T-day. Maybe they'd be open to starting annual tradition with the other Big 12 power. Would add legitimacy to their program on the big stage in the Big 12 for them and would maximize on OU's north Texas exposure and give OU fans a local game, whether home or away, on T-day weekend which would be good whether they can stay good or not.

bluedogok
11/22/2011, 10:33 PM
The conference should just say hell no. However, I am sure UTSA is available.
All UTSA games are already broadcast on LHN. That would make it easy on them.

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2011, 11:42 PM
What do the folks on the TCU Boards say? Have you discussed it with them?
TCU typically feels about the same way. The only other school to come close is SMU which, obviously, is not in the Big XII.

LASooner
11/23/2011, 02:33 AM
SMU which, obviously, is not in the Big XII.

.......Yet.

http://boingboing.net/images/gopher-look.gif

DUM DUM DUUUUUUUUUUUMM!