PDA

View Full Version : Bitch Stole His Fish

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2011, 07:07 AM
...and by bitch I mean a couple of Fed. bozos from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. A fisherman brings his giant tuna into port worth thousands of dollars only to be met by the Gestapo waiting to seize his catch and livelihood because it was caught via a net instead of a rod and reel.

The guy should have made them swim with the fishies before giving up the fruit of his labor.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111121/NEWS/111129971/-1/NEWS01

diverdog
11/22/2011, 08:56 AM
...and by bitch I mean a couple of Fed. bozos from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. A fisherman brings his giant tuna into port worth thousands of dollars only to be met by the Gestapo waiting to seize his catch and livelihood because it was caught via a net instead of a rod and reel.

The guy should have made them swim with the fishies before giving up the fruit of his labor.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111121/NEWS/111129971/-1/NEWS01

Sickem:

On the surface this looks bad but NOAA did the right thing. The blue fin tuna is in big trouble. We should not even be fishing for them. The fishery is heavily regulated and managed through ICCAT. The question I guess needs to be addressed is the accidental bycatch of tuna.

cleller
11/22/2011, 09:09 AM
He should be tried in the Blue Fin Court of Atrocities.

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2011, 02:37 PM
Sickem:

On the surface this looks bad but NOAA did the right thing. The blue fin tuna is in big trouble. We should not even be fishing for them. The fishery is heavily regulated and managed through ICCAT. The question I guess needs to be addressed is the accidental bycatch of tuna.
Setting aside the absurdity of the regulation itself:

1. He had purchased permits for exactly this eventuality.
2. He was not trolling for the fish.
3. What is NOAA going to do with a dead tuna?
4. The Fed is out of control and needs to be stopped.

diverdog
11/22/2011, 02:59 PM
Setting aside the absurdity of the reg

ulation itself:

1. He had purchased permits for exactly this eventuality.
2. He was not trolling for the fish.
3. What is NOAA going to do with a dead tuna?
4. The Fed is out of control and needs to be stopped.

Sickem:

This is not a case of out of control regulations. These fish are being hunted to extinction. In fact many are calling it the last buffalo hunt. Some speculate they will be gone in 10 years.

When I was a young lad I worked part time in the summer on a commercial drift net boat. During that time there was a complete ban on catching stripers. We threw tons of dead fish overboard because it was against the law to keep them. These are public resources and there is a right to manage these resources for the public good. Because of strict management the fishery recovered and now is a viable commercial fishery. These plans work.

The type of fishing this man engages in is highly destructive. It is the ocean equalivant to strip mining. Fisherman are also notorious for rule breaking. The captain of the boat should have known the law before buying the permit.

Midtowner
11/22/2011, 03:58 PM
Sickem:

This is not a case of out of control regulations. These fish are being hunted to extinction. In fact many are calling it the last buffalo hunt. Some speculate they will be gone in 10 years.

When I was a young lad I worked part time in the summer on a commercial drift net boat. During that time there was a complete ban on catching stripers. We threw tons of dead fish overboard because it was against the law to keep them. These are public resources and there is a right to manage these resources for the public good. Because of strict management the fishery recovered and now is a viable commercial fishery. These plans work.

The type of fishing this man engages in is highly destructive. It is the ocean equalivant to strip mining. Fisherman are also notorious for rule breaking. The captain of the boat should have known the law before buying the permit.

Agreed. Outrage blogs, right or left depend almost exclusively on half truths. This behavior has to be regulated strictly or every single net-caught tuna will have a fisherman with a permit to catch line and reel tunas saying "oops."

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/pcohlmia/BitchStoleMyFish.jpg

pphilfran
11/22/2011, 04:00 PM
That is a classic photo...

KantoSooner
11/22/2011, 05:05 PM
Sicem, I just checked and found something very troubling. The very first fishing regulation issued by the US government was at the behest of Abraham Lincoln. It applied only to the states 'South of Virginia' and was signed 'Hahahahahaha Abe'

SicEmBaylor
11/22/2011, 05:24 PM
Sicem, I just checked and found something very troubling. The very first fishing regulation issued by the US government was at the behest of Abraham Lincoln. It applied only to the states 'South of Virginia' and was signed 'Hahahahahaha Abe'

I almost started to include a statement that these poor SOBs brought this on themselves by supporting the Feds in the WONA.

KantoSooner
11/22/2011, 05:39 PM
Apparently he intended to make a move on RC Cola and Moon Pies, but Booth got to him first.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/22/2011, 06:07 PM

SUCK IT JEFF ROFL

Love, Abe

diverdog
11/22/2011, 06:07 PM

I am not sure if you are kidding or not. You guys may or may not know that a big part of the reason we fought the War of 1812 had to do with fishing rights and the conscripting of our fisherman into the British Navy on the high seas. Most recently Canada and Spain almost got into a shooting war over the Turbot fishery. American fisheries have been regulated since 1783.

SicEmBaylor
11/23/2011, 06:39 AM
I am not sure if you are kidding or not. You guys may or may not know that a big part of the reason we fought the War of 1812 had to do with fishing rights and the conscripting of our fisherman into the British Navy on the high seas. Most recently Canada and Spain almost got into a shooting war over the Turbot fishery. American fisheries have been regulated since 1783.

I did know -- not sure what it has to do with an egregious affront to individual liberty. I'm not sure I value a tuna fish over a fisherman.

Going back to the Lincoln thing though, and I honestly don't know this, how far out from the coast do states have jurisdiction?

diverdog
11/23/2011, 07:21 AM
I did know -- not sure what it has to do with an egregious affront to individual liberty. I'm not sure I value a tuna fish over a fisherman.

Going back to the Lincoln thing though, and I honestly don't know this, how far out from the coast do states have jurisdiction?

sicem:

The tuna was accidental ill gotten gains. This is not a private property argument since fisherman do not own the ocean or the fish in it. There has been some effort to try and do this through a system known as ITQ or individual transferrable quota. So far it has only been applied to a few fisheries like the quohog fishery.

I will not say I am an expert on fisheries....not by a long stretch but I do have some pretty good working knowledge. Over the years I have chaired the Delaware Fin Fish Board and I have sat on numerous NMFS and ASMFC boards. Additionally, I have done some recreational tuna fishing off of Ocean City MD and have had to go through the same permitting process that the captain went through to fish tuna. They are real clear it is hook and line fishery.

I am not against commercial fishing and I do believe in strict management of the fisheries. In this case I would like to see and international effort to stop trade in the Blue Fin tuna until it recovers. The ban maybe 30-40 years but the fishery can recover.

Carl Safina wrote an amazing book called Tuna. It is a great read about one of the great predators of the ocean. I think Tuna are the only warm blooded fish in the ocean.

pphilfran
11/23/2011, 02:17 PM
DD knows his fish...

diverdog
11/23/2011, 02:32 PM
DD knows his fish...

I have never landed a tuna. The boat that I was on landed some yellow fin. We did bring in a Blue Fin. Another boat landed two and thought both were dead. Tuna will fight to the end. Anyway we had a tag and agreed to take it. We threw them a line so they could tie it to what we both thought was a dead tuna. When the fish hit the water it was game on. Damn thing fought like a son of a bitch. It took three of us to haul it in. We were not prepared to handle a live fish.

soonercruiser
11/23/2011, 05:49 PM
Agreed. Outrage blogs, right or left depend almost exclusively on half truths. This behavior has to be regulated strictly or every single net-caught tuna will have a fisherman with a permit to catch line and reel tunas saying "oops."

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/pcohlmia/BitchStoleMyFish.jpg

Is that Midtowner on the "left"?
(Jealous of the conservative female with the big fish?)
:topsy_turvy: