PDA

View Full Version : J. Harris

Tiger6
11/21/2011, 09:30 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rapid-reports/post/16193672

"FS Javon Harris said he could have easily avoided the Monday media session with reporters asking him about his disastrous play against Baylor. “I know I played a bad game,’’ he said. I can’t blow off the people wanting to ask questions. I know my mistakes were detrimental to the team. I have to face it"."

As much razzing as I did on this kid, I think its only fair to praise him as well. Well done dude.

AlbqSooner
11/21/2011, 09:31 PM
He did show some class in that statement.

SoonerNate
11/21/2011, 09:32 PM
I second that.

After seeing the *** chewing he got I was afraid he'd quit the team.

Glad to see him handling it the correct way.

Lott's Bandana
11/21/2011, 09:34 PM
For all the angst the past few seasons have given us, one thing for sure, time and time again I am very impressed with the quality of young man that comes to play at Oklahoma.

rainiersooner
11/21/2011, 09:43 PM
If it was easy, everyone (including the posters on this board) would do it. And just to throw out more hyperbole - it's not the disaster, but how the disaster is dealt with that matters. Well played J. Harris, well played (and no, clearly I do not mean the game/disaster).

VA Sooner
11/21/2011, 09:46 PM
Javon... if you're reading this board or someone close to you is, you owned up to it well, son. Tough ***-chewing on the sidelines there by the coaches but get back in the film room, learn from this and tear up those receivers in the next two games and get us a BCS bowl game.

Kid is alright... showing a lot of class.

C&CDean
11/21/2011, 09:49 PM
It's refreshing to see Javon is smarter than 90% of the posters on this board. I guess he's paying attention in class. Good on ya Javon.

Soonerus
11/21/2011, 09:50 PM
He had a bad game, **** happens...

hornswaggled
11/21/2011, 09:56 PM
I thought Javon would quit after the **s chewing he got during the game. I think he showed a lot of class and humility with his statement. There are more important things in life than football. Maturing into a responsible adult is one of those things.

Oh, and family. Other than those two things, I can't think of anything else more important (than college football).

No, wait, there is also devotion to God, education. I'm racking my brain, so I'll quit.

I Am Right
11/21/2011, 09:58 PM
We take ourselves way to serious on message boards.

C&CDean
11/21/2011, 10:00 PM
We take ourselves way to serious on message boards.

Hey, you are right.

Lott's Bandana
11/21/2011, 10:02 PM
I don't.

C&CDean
11/21/2011, 10:06 PM
Da hell you say.

champions77
11/21/2011, 10:06 PM
He played a bad game, wasn't his first. I am sure the kid was doing his best. I am more upset at the coaches for not coaching him up, and then playing him, and then keeping him in as he made one bad play after another. The kid didn't put himself in the game.

Does it seem odd that Brandon Williams can fumble once against texas and then hardly play for the next four games because the coaches have lost "confidence" in him, but Harris can make mistake after mistake....and he continues to play?

Lott's Bandana
11/21/2011, 10:10 PM
Da hell you say.

nuh uh

TXBOOMER
11/21/2011, 10:11 PM
Impressive statement. Hope Jefferson moves back to safety and keeps the kid from having to make statements like that in the future.

kbsooner21
11/21/2011, 10:11 PM
Quit after he took an *** chewing? You think that's the first *** chewing he's ever taken? It won't be his last either.

No wonder kids these days are pansy's when people are afraid he'll quit over an *** chewing. Unbelievable...

kevpks
11/21/2011, 10:15 PM
Harris has shown flashes this year. He has the ability to be a big contributor for OU in the future and I don't think this game will define his career. He certainly has the right attitude it seems.

sooneron
11/21/2011, 10:17 PM
Hats off to him for stepping into the light.

C&CDean
11/21/2011, 10:20 PM
He played a bad game, wasn't his first. I am sure the kid was doing his best. I am more upset at the coaches for not coaching him up, and then playing him, and then keeping him in as he made one bad play after another. The kid didn't put himself in the game.

Does it seem odd that Brandon Williams can fumble once against texas and then hardly play for the next four games because the coaches have lost "confidence" in him, but Harris can make mistake after mistake....and he continues to play?

Uh, Roy Finch? Whaley? (before he got hurt) Clay? We've got depth at RB. We ain't got **** at DB/safety. Our only hope is that Javon and co. start to play up to their talent/expectations. I believe they can and will.

hornswaggled
11/21/2011, 10:26 PM
Quit after he took an *** chewing? You think that's the first *** chewing he's ever taken? It won't be his last either.

No wonder kids these days are pansy's when people are afraid he'll quit over an *** chewing. Unbelievable...

You're right about that. I have known a lot of younger folks whose sensibilities would be offended to the point that they would refuse to work for someone who chewed them out. I guess I have spent too much time in Fexas.

3rdgensooner
11/21/2011, 10:27 PM
Well done, student athlete.

toast
11/21/2011, 10:37 PM
Nice response. Wish our politicians could be as mature with their mistakes.

cccasooner2
11/21/2011, 10:41 PM

"FS Javon Harris said he could have easily avoided the Monday media session with reporters asking him about his disastrous play against Baylor. “I know I played a bad game,’’ he said. I can’t blow off the people wanting to ask questions. I know my mistakes were detrimental to the team. I have to face it"."

As much razzing as I did on this kid, I think its only fair to praise him as well. Well done dude.

Yes it is too bad he has to answer questions from the idiot reporters. Easy to be a critic, not so easy on the football field.

Tiger6
11/21/2011, 10:42 PM
I was beginning to worry nobody on this team had any humility. The right attitude will get you places (ex. broyles), keep trucking and you'll be fine. Its amazing how far a good attitude will go with the fans who cheer you on as well....and there are some players on this team who could learn a lot from a player like him.

AlboSooner
11/21/2011, 10:43 PM
It's just a game.

SoonerNate
11/21/2011, 10:44 PM

Yes it does but I would say it has more to do with our depth at the position. We are very deep at running back which is why we saw the same thing happen with Finch early in the season.

MamaMia
11/22/2011, 12:45 AM
It's refreshing to see Javon is smarter than 90% of the posters on this board. I guess he's paying attention in class. Good on ya Javon. I think the posters are smart. I think they are just really shocked, confused and disappointed right now. You cant deny they are loyal Sooner fans. If they weren't, they wouldn't be here. It'll be ok. People just need some time to vent, to say what on their minds and to try and make sense of it all. We have had a couple of big blows this year. We lost to teams that are NOT better than we are. Thats a big pill to swallow considering the difference it made in our season. Plus we have had a death and so many injuries. that in itself is very painful and stressful. People are just trying to deal with it. We should be more patient and understanding of one another right now.

Seamus
11/22/2011, 02:24 AM
I think the posters are smart. I think they are just really shocked, confused and disappointed right now. You cant deny they are loyal Sooner fans. If they weren't, they wouldn't be here. It'll be ok. People just need some time to vent, to say what on their minds and to try and make sense of it all. We have had a couple of big blows this year. We lost to teams that are NOT better than we are. Thats a big pill to swallow considering the difference it made in our season. Plus we have had a death and so many injuries. that in itself is very painful and stressful. People are just trying to deal with it. We -- modadors included -- should be more patient and understanding of one another right now.

This. SPEK.

MrJimBeam
11/22/2011, 07:04 AM
I think the posters are smart. I think they are just really shocked, confused and disappointed right now. You cant deny they are loyal Sooner fans. If they weren't, they wouldn't be here. It'll be ok. People just need some time to vent, to say what on their minds and to try and make sense of it all. We have had a couple of big blows this year. We lost to teams that are NOT better than we are. Thats a big pill to swallow considering the difference it made in our season. Plus we have had a death and so many injuries. that in itself is very painful and stressful. People are just trying to deal with it. We should be more patient and understanding of one another right now. Oh, good grief....

soonercoop1
11/22/2011, 08:09 AM

Kid shows to have more balls than Stoops has...

stoops the eternal pimp
11/22/2011, 09:28 AM
Personally, I don't need Javon Harris owning up to anything to me or anyone other than coaches and teammates..

Breadburner
11/22/2011, 09:32 AM
Personally, I don't need Javon Harris owning up to anything to me or anyone other than coaches and teammates..

Bingo....!!!

Ton Loc
11/22/2011, 09:36 AM
I think the posters are smart. I think they are just really shocked, confused and disappointed right now. You cant deny they are loyal Sooner fans. If they weren't, they wouldn't be here. It'll be ok. People just need some time to vent, to say what on their minds and to try and make sense of it all. We have had a couple of big blows this year. We lost to teams that are NOT better than we are. Thats a big pill to swallow considering the difference it made in our season. Plus we have had a death and so many injuries. that in itself is very painful and stressful. People are just trying to deal with it. We should be more patient and understanding of one another right now.

Uhhhh, no. There is a way to express yourself and then there is the way 90% of the posters express themselves.

Tear Down This Wall
11/22/2011, 09:37 AM

Good work. Maybe his head coach will follow his example and admit he screwed up in calling the timeout instead of throwing the players under the bus. We all know the players made mistakes; we saw it. It's okay for the coaches to admit they screwed up as well; we saw that as well. Follow Javon's example, Bob.

oudavid1
11/22/2011, 10:12 AM
It's just a game.

kustang619
11/22/2011, 10:18 AM
I want to know why Travis Lewis who has been requested the last 4 weeks hasn't shown up to visit with the media?

kevpks
11/22/2011, 10:29 AM
Good work. Maybe his head coach will follow his example and admit he screwed up in calling the timeout instead of throwing the players under the bus. We all know the players made mistakes; we saw it. It's okay for the coaches to admit they screwed up as well; we saw that as well. Follow Javon's example, Bob.

I heard on sports radio yesterday that Bob did admit after the game that the timeout was a mistake. I could be mistaken because I didn't hear his comments myself.

achiro
11/22/2011, 11:23 AM
It's just a game.
It's also billion dollar industry.

Neath a Western Sky
11/22/2011, 11:32 AM
I think the posters are smart. I think they are just really shocked, confused and disappointed right now. You cant deny they are loyal Sooner fans. If they weren't, they wouldn't be here. It'll be ok. People just need some time to vent, to say what on their minds and to try and make sense of it all. We have had a couple of big blows this year. We lost to teams that are NOT better than we are. Thats a big pill to swallow considering the difference it made in our season. Plus we have had a death and so many injuries. that in itself is very painful and stressful. People are just trying to deal with it. We should be more patient and understanding of one another right now.

Yes I agree. This is where those of us who care about the Sooners come. We're all human and we all say it wrong at times, plus no doubt we have some trolls, etc. Still, your words are gold, MamaMia. Those who don't like someone else's comments have the same freedom I exercise on here: ignore it or state your own opinion. Trying to intimidate or mock people into conforming to one's own opinion is not good.

Regarding Javon Harris...To paraphrase Coach Switzer after the '76 tie with Texas when the center oversnapped the ball on the would-be winning extra point: "If some other guys had made some other plays, we wouldn't have been in a position where that one play mattered so much." LOTS of Sooners besides Harris made plenty of mistakes against Baylor. He wasn't even on the field when someone moved on the potential winning 2-point PAT, someone called time out when they shouldn't have, someone didn't contain a scrambling quarterback, and someone(s) got lit up in the end zone.

ocsooner
11/22/2011, 11:39 AM
It's also billion dollar industry.

I try not to think abut that... these are ameture athletes, right???

OUInformant
11/22/2011, 11:51 AM
I still love Javon. He's just inexperienced.

LSUdeek
11/22/2011, 12:20 PM
Props to the young man for standing up and facing the criticism. Jarrett Lee did the same in 2008.

Can't say the same about LSU's other QB.

cvsooner
11/22/2011, 02:02 PM
True. Baylor scored twice on the ground. And he was hurt on the sidelines in the last eight seconds.

PLaw
11/22/2011, 03:54 PM

A lot of folks could learn a little from this kid about manning up and being accountable. We all have bone head days, but ours aren't on national TV.

Props Mr. Harris and if you need a job with a Fortune 25 company when your playing days are over, then come see me.

BOOMER

SoonerTerry
11/22/2011, 04:04 PM
My feelings about college football and the players really changes when my daughter got to the age that these players are, that and spending the last 4 years coaching little league baseball and football. As wrapped up as we get in all these games, MNC's and unexplainable losses, I understand that there is not one win that OU will ever have that is more important that the development of any one of these young men into adulthood and the rest of their lives. Win or loose this is a special group of people and I will always be glad that they came to the university of Oklahoma and I had the privlege of watching them.

SyN
11/22/2011, 04:05 PM
Many have said to be the best at what you do... You have to fall on your face many times to get there... He has all the GOD given talent to become the best at his position...

Young Man You just keep that head up and working your A$$ off.... as well as Mentally Prepare... Your future is bright as a Sooner!

Dan Thompson
11/22/2011, 04:09 PM
Harris might have been running the defense that VB called:)

3rdgensooner
11/22/2011, 04:27 PM
Win or lose this is a special group of people and I will always be glad that they came to the University of Oklahoma and I had the privlege of watching them.Yes, this.

StoopTroup
11/22/2011, 05:49 PM
For all the angst the past few seasons have given us, one thing for sure, time and time again I am very impressed with the quality of young man that comes to play at Oklahoma.

I believe that kids like that are a direct result of not only their upbringing and their Coaches along the way....but also because of their decision to find Coaches like the ones that they have been involved with along the way that are not only a good fit for them to be successful but that they will become better by being around Great Coaches at the next Level. It's why we have time and again won Big XII Championships and Competed for MNCs the last 11 years. I'd much rather have a Team of guys like this than one that had to have their Trophies all stripped 2 years after they left for the NFL. Javon has made lots of great plays. It's unfortunate that people want to label him or any Coach because their own personal expectations were unrealistic.

StoopTroup
11/22/2011, 05:51 PM
My feelings about college football and the players really changes when my daughter got to the age that these players are, that and spending the last 4 years coaching little league baseball and football. As wrapped up as we get in all these games, MNC's and unexplainable losses, I understand that there is not one win that OU will ever have that is more important that the development of any one of these young men into adulthood and the rest of their lives. Win or loose this is a special group of people and I will always be glad that they came to the university of Oklahoma and I had the privlege of watching them.

Agreed. Very Nice Post.

BOOMER ! ! !

StoopTroup
11/22/2011, 06:01 PM
Uh, Roy Finch? Whaley? (before he got hurt) Clay? We've got depth at RB. We ain't got **** at DB/safety. Our only hope is that Javon and co. start to play up to their talent/expectations. I believe they can and will.

It's amazing that there are folks who can figure things like this out without having to fire someone. Mack Brown cleaned house last year and he's closer to retirement now but his Team is no closer to winning a MNC. They win the recruiting Championship in the Big XII nearly every year yet....since Bob and Venables have been here at OU they have failed to win what really counts since 2000 and even though Big XII Chamionships aren't enough for some OU Fans....it's what it takes to get to a MNC. Firing a Coach that has helped get his Team into that position ever since he became DC seems pretty Stupid IMO. Folks can continue to try and explain why some of us should feel differently but I don't buy into what message Board Posters think. I buy into Coaches like Stoops and Venables who have continued to bring me more enjoyment than I have had since 1985.

C&CDean
11/22/2011, 06:21 PM
It's amazing that there are folks who can figure things like this out without having to fire someone. Mack Brown cleaned house last year and he's closer to retirement now but his Team is no closer to winning a MNC. They win the recruiting Championship in the Big XII nearly every year yet....since Bob and Venables have been here at OU they have failed to win what really counts since 2000 and even though Big XII Chamionships aren't enough for some OU Fans....it's what it takes to get to a MNC. Firing a Coach that has helped get his Team into that position ever since he became DC seems pretty Stupid IMO. Folks can continue to try and explain why some of us should feel differently but I don't buy into what message Board Posters think. I buy into Coaches like Stoops and Venables who have continued to bring me more enjoyment than I have had since 1985.

ssshhhhh. You'll make CB and marty's heads assplode.

StoopTroup
11/22/2011, 06:30 PM
ssshhhhh. You'll make CB and marty's heads assplode.

I'm sure I'll be blamed.....lol

BajaOklahoma
11/22/2011, 07:42 PM
I don't have any issues with the way Javon played - he tried the entire game. He was just overmatched - and that can happen.
My issue is with the coaches who didn't make any adjustments to prevent the mismatch.

C&CDean
11/22/2011, 08:04 PM
I don't have any issues with the way Javon played - he tried the entire game. He was just overmatched - and that can happen.
My issue is with the coaches who didn't make any adjustments to prevent the mismatch.

1. I love you girl.

2. What could the coaches have done? Play me?

cvsooner
11/22/2011, 08:39 PM
My issue is with the coaches who didn't make any adjustments to prevent the mismatch.Funny how we never seem to allow for the possibility that this was the best matchup, based on everything else. Or that Baylor was doing something new and/or unexpected. I mean, you have to put a team of 11 guys out there and yeah, that might have been the best we could do at the moment. Really, without the freak bounce and catch play, Baylor is playing catch up in the final minute trying to tie the score. All kinds of possibilities.

In fact, my single biggest gripe was, instead of throwing the ball away on 4th down late, I really honestly thought we'd try the field goal. We make it and you wind up with still other possible outcomes. Or, if we don't turn the ball over twice, I think we win too. Most scenarios that night, we win, clearly.

StoopTroup
11/22/2011, 11:10 PM
What could the coaches have done? Play me?

FIRE VENABLES ! ! !

LMAO!

OU-HSV
11/23/2011, 01:58 AM
I want to know why Travis Lewis who has been requested the last 4 weeks hasn't shown up to visit with the media?If this is true, the timing kind of makes sense. Remember a few weeks back he called out a teammate and/or teammates for not playing through injuries or not being tough, or something to that extent? The media brought it up several times that week.
So it could be one of two things, the coaches don't want him running his mouth anymore..or he realized he doesn't need to be saying certain things anymore, so he just avoids the media in general now? Just my guesses anyway.

OU-HSV
11/23/2011, 02:16 AM
1. I love you girl.

2. What could the coaches have done? Play me?
Jimmy Stevens isn't very busy nowadays :biggrin:

Jokes aside, it was/is disappointing if Javon was our best option. For whatever reason he wasn't performing good enough, that was obvious to fans and coaches. But it sure seems that instead of chewing his azz multiple times the coaches would've tried some other options in there and just see if someone else would match up better. I mean Stoops always said earlier this year he'd play whatever RB is the hot hand at the time. So why wouldn't they use this theory for the DBs as well?
Oh well, I guess we have to assume that he plays who gives the team the best chance to win, and if that's the case it was obvious that our best simply wasn't better than Baylor or texas tech on those particular nights.

oupride
11/23/2011, 07:11 AM
thanks for the post