PDA

View Full Version : Broyles being out...

jumperstop
11/21/2011, 03:08 PM
I think this hurt us a lot more than people realize. We miss him on third down where he was clutch, and he really did seem to open things up for our recieving game more. We couldn't manage to get good seperation all night. We still have good recievers with speed, but often times they can't hang on to the ball. If we have any chance against osu, these guys are going to need to step it up. And what is up with Kenny? He appears to be getting worse as the season goes on....Hell Ratterree appeared to be playing with more heart on his receptions than Stills....

PhiDeltBeers
11/21/2011, 03:12 PM
I agree with you about KS. I was saying the same thing right before he dropped that 3rd down catch. I was thinking he was going to be the "go to" guy when Broyles left, but it seems he's taken 1 step forward and 2 steps back. I hope he can get things figured out, because he is an extremely gifted kid.

StoopTroup
11/21/2011, 03:16 PM
I think Stills is a fantastic WR but you can't expect him to suddenly become Ryan Broyles in a Week. He's Kenny Stills.

Bringing in Jackson was huge. I think he and Jaz and Stills will be a force to be reckoned with next year unless they fire Stoops and the entire Coaching Staff for losing to Baylor on the road....lol

PhiDeltBeers
11/21/2011, 03:23 PM
I liked the way Jaz has really stepped up. I had my doubts about him when I was on the KS train, but it seems like he is turning into something special.

Not to mention, he took that big hit and got back on the field and continued to contribute.

jumperstop
11/21/2011, 03:24 PM
I think Stills is a fantastic WR but you can't expect him to suddenly become Ryan Broyles in a Week. He's Kenny Stills.

Bringing in Jackson was huge. I think he and Jaz and Stills will be a force to be reckoned with next year unless they fire Stoops and the entire Coaching Staff for losing to Baylor on the road....lol
I do expect our coaching staff to be questioned from time to time, but some people are so stupid thinking that every loss someone needs to be fired.

As for Jaz and KS I'm stoked about the future with these young guys. I know they won't fill the shoes of Broyles in his first game gone, but I do expect if a ball its you in the hands for you to catch it. Especially if we've seen how great of a reciever you can be like Stills. They will need time to gel together, but we for sure need less dropped balls.

PhiDeltBeers
11/21/2011, 03:25 PM
I don't think he is ever going to be another Broyles...just thinking he'd be the go to man when Broyles was gone(ie next year).

Soonerjeepman
11/21/2011, 03:28 PM
I thought Stills had a few almost catches that he short-armed due to possibly getting hit...course I would too...I don't like getting hit!

just an observation...

Boomer.....
11/21/2011, 03:36 PM
Stills benefited the most from Broyles. It allowed the defense to focus on another receiver and he could do his thing. Now, he seems to have trouble getting separation and finding holes. I know he has been nicked up, but he doesn't seem to be running hard and giving it his all. Thank goodness Jaz has been there to step up.

soonercastor
11/21/2011, 03:38 PM
Of course we miss him, but it's not the reason we lost; at least not one of the primary reasons we did. Obviously the opposition's D had one less thing to worry about but Jaz and Stills did fine for the most part except for a critical drop for each.

jumperstop
11/21/2011, 03:39 PM
Stills benefited the most from Broyles. It allowed the defense to focus on another receiver and he could do his thing. Now, he seems to have trouble getting separation and finding holes. I know he has been nicked up, but he doesn't seem to be running hard and giving it his all. Thank goodness Jaz has been there to step up.

This is the part I'm wondering about. Just doesn't even seem like the same player. Is it because we're out the NCG hunt or is this because a big hit he suffered? Who knows, but I hope to see the KS we saw during FSU and earlier in the season to return.

jumperstop
11/21/2011, 03:42 PM
Of course we miss him, but it's not the reason we lost; at least not one of the primary reasons we did. Obviously the opposition's D had one less thing to worry about but Jaz and Stills did fine for the most part except for a critical drop for each.
I'm not saying it's the reason we lost, offense isn't the reason we lost. Although we did have A LOT of penalties in the first half. I just think that we lost a bit of our explosivness on offense and versus a decent D we'll be in trouble. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but we seemed to be put into third and long way too many times on saturday.

Jason Alexander
11/21/2011, 03:47 PM
Instead of firing Stoops we should just hire Briles. We can do that for all the coaches that beat us.

BoulderSooner79
11/21/2011, 04:00 PM
I think most of us understand what the loss of Broyles would mean and it proved to be true. We led the nation in fewest sacks allowed going into the game and I remember giving up at least 2 and other plays ruined by pressure. And this is against a poor defense. LJ had problems getting the ball out quickly because guys were not open consistently. And the lack of Whaley has the running game being inconsistant as well. We are just a lesser team w/o those guys and there is no secret fix.

SoonerTerry
11/21/2011, 04:09 PM
I thought Stills had a few almost catches that he short-armed due to possibly getting hit...course I would too...I don't like getting hit!

just an observation...

I think the forearm he took to the head in the FSU game had something to do with that. That being said, the kid dropped what 2 passes? Normaly everything that comes his way is caught. Saturday was not his best night as a sooner, But I still love to watch the guy play and think he and Jaz are a hell of a pair of receivers as well as outstanding young men.

jumperstop
11/21/2011, 04:11 PM
I think most of us understand what the loss of Broyles would mean and it proved to be true. We led the nation in fewest sacks allowed going into the game and I remember giving up at least 2 and other plays ruined by pressure. And this is against a poor defense. LJ had problems getting the ball out quickly because guys were not open consistently. And the lack of Whaley has the running game being inconsistant as well. We are just a lesser team w/o those guys and there is no secret fix.
Basically what I was thinking just put to words better. And I should have said instead of hurting us more than people realize, should have been more along the lines that it wasn't being dicussed. Our offense was just completely out of sync...

8timechamps
11/21/2011, 04:52 PM
I don't think he is ever going to be another Broyles...just thinking he'd be the go to man when Broyles was gone(ie next year).

I agree. Kenny is an amazing WR with superstar play-making abilities, and he will be our "amazing catch" receiver while he is at OU. However, we may not see another Broyles again in our lifetime at OU. What made Broyles so good was that he could get separation and make the big play PLUS he was a dependable possession receiver. Typically, you get one or the other, in the case of Broyles, we were fortunate enough to have both!

I like our WR corps for next year, and I think they will be better than any before, but losing Ryan really hurt our offense.