PDA

View Full Version : Reviewing the Baylor Game

StoopTroup
11/21/2011, 02:36 PM
I decided to finally put the replay of the game on and go through it. There's no good outcome from it but at least it's about plays that I feel weren't handled properly by the Refs. They can include both good and bad, both for and against as it just doesn't matter because the Game is in the Books. What does matter are the details. Since there are so many experts calling for a Coach to be fired....whatever....I think this game deserves to be torn down. The last Game I did this was the Game we played against Phloryduh for all the marbles. We still lost that one too, but I still think we had a terrific Team that Day and we came up short against the Anointed one.

So let's get to work.

3rd and 19 12:06 left in the first half. BU with the ball. RG3 passes the ball out of bounds and the Refs call Interference on Fleming for an un-catchable ball. Instead of them going 3 and out they get an automatic 1st Down. Thankfully BU ended up punting and OU held them for 0 points on the drive. Still....calls like that set the tone for what happens. Are they going to call things tight?

OU and Landry then take the field.

3rd and 13 7:44 left in the 1st qtr Landry throws to a wide open Kameel Jackson and they call a chop block on Finch that had zero to do with whether or not Jackson would have caught the pass or if Landry would have gotten Sacked. I agree that it doesn't matter...a penalty is a penalty but was it a chop block? Of course the announcers said they thought it was but I think it was a no-call at the very least. The Next play Jones is forced to get 28 yards or maybe less just to get maybe a shot at a FG. He throws into triple coverage and the ball is nearly INTd.

Now. Did the Refs interfere or was it just a good call? Is it just something you get over when you are a good Team playing on the road?

I think it set the tone for the night.

All of what I point out that goes on in this game leads to how the last play of the game was just a No Call by the Refs that led to them winning by 7 points.

Sure we should have annihilated Baylor but it's one of their Best Teams to take the field in Waco. With a little help they get a win against a Team that was on track to compete for a MNC before losing their QBs "Go to Guy - Ryan Broyles). We bring in a guy like Jackson to help and instead of him getting a confidence builder and helping put 7 points on the scoreboard for his Team....he walks away empty.

That TD would have put this Game in a very different situation later in this game. Instead it goes down as unnoticeable by Sooner Fans that have been looking for a reason to blame it all on Brent Venables for about 5-6 years.

Sad.

rainiersooner
11/21/2011, 02:47 PM
Very brave of you to watch the game again....

The Maestro
11/21/2011, 02:51 PM
The chop block call that stole that TD was a huge play...especially since it didn't happen. Most know that a chop block is when a blocker sees a teammate already blocking someone high and they come in and take them out low. Well, the review showed clearly that Ikard and Finch BOTH got to the defender at the SAME TIME! It was literally simultaneous...and had no basis for a chop block.

That was a big momentum shift against us...not the cause of the loss, but we sure could have used that touchdown to get started off on the right foot.

StoopTroup
11/21/2011, 03:07 PM
I will take a shot at Venables and our defense as I believe it to be a fair criticism.

How can you not be ready on Defense when a Team is running the same hurry up Offense your Team goes against in practices? It's happened more than a few times lately. I find it hard to take when our Offense is so well know for such tactics.

Those penalties were justified and it helped Baylor to keep momentum going. There is no excuse for that IMHO.

Again...I said I would post the good and the bad.

StoopTroup
11/21/2011, 03:08 PM
Very brave of you to watch the game again....

Believe me...I don't do this lightly. I couldn't have done it until today.

cccasooner2
11/21/2011, 03:23 PM
Believe me...I don't do this lightly. I couldn't have done it until today.

So what happened today? Someone send you a case of Johnny Walker Blue Label?

TFSooner
11/21/2011, 03:48 PM
What about the very first penalty, the roughing the passer call on Nelson? I didn't see a clear replay of it, but unless he hit him in the head, it was not late. That could have set the tone for the defense all night too.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/21/2011, 05:44 PM
What about the very first penalty, the roughing the passer call on Nelson? I didn't see a clear replay of it, but unless he hit him in the head, it was not late. That could have set the tone for the defense all night too.

This one was borderline IMO. I love hard hitting defensive football, but I think those days are over due to the fact that almost everyone loves big scores and the rules are slanted in favor of the offense. I think team are recruiting and drafting for better offenses. Nelson did lead with the crown of his helmet and hit RG3 in the chin. To me it's a no call.

Blue
11/21/2011, 05:47 PM
We had all tghe momentum in the third until that crazy 87 yard miracle. We stop them there and we'd prob go up 31-17 and not look back. Instead they tied it up and the rest is history.

8timechamps
11/21/2011, 05:51 PM
The chop block call that stole that TD was a huge play...especially since it didn't happen. Most know that a chop block is when a blocker sees a teammate already blocking someone high and they come in and take them out low. Well, the review showed clearly that Ikard and Finch BOTH got to the defender at the SAME TIME! It was literally simultaneous...and had no basis for a chop block.

That was a big momentum shift against us...not the cause of the loss, but we sure could have used that touchdown to get started off on the right foot.

Without a doubt, that should have been a no-call. The rule says that an illegal chop block occurs when an offensive player contacts a defender already engaged with an offensive player (and goes high/low). As was stated, they arrived at the same time. That block occurs routinely during the course of a game. It's a rarely called penalty, and usualy has to be pretty blatant. There is no question that penalty changed the dynamic of the game.

MamaMia
11/21/2011, 06:06 PM
Then why didn't Stoops challenge it?

BigTip
11/21/2011, 06:13 PM

Is there a coach watching the game on TV that can call down and say "bull ****" , challenge. Sounds stupid, but I have watched lots of games where I ask, "why isn't someone doing something" because of what I just saw on TV.

8timechamps
11/21/2011, 06:15 PM

You can't challenge penalties, unfortunately.

MamaMia
11/21/2011, 06:24 PM
You can't challenge penalties, unfortunately.Then why didn't he jump up and down yelling and screaming at the ref and throw his headset off, like in the old days? :)

8timechamps
11/21/2011, 06:35 PM
Then why didn't he jump up and down yelling and screaming at the ref and throw his headset off, like in the old days? :)

He may have, but I probably missed it because I was jumping up and down yelling at the TV...like the old days. :)

soonerbub
11/21/2011, 06:43 PM
I rewatched the 4th Q--we simply could NOT get a STOP when we had to (same as tech)

We have 38 pts in both losses (when has that ever happened to anyone)--our problems are on the defensive side.

We have a national title O and a 7-5 D so we are stuck in the middle.

Help us out next year Mike--don't worry about finding guys just coach up the guys we got

The truth is we are still a young football team that has to learn from mistakes & do what needs to be done from February to August to hoist the crystal.

2000...04...08...12--it's OUr time baby (if we can just make it thru that Mayan calendar do-over)

***BTW I woulda called the timeout also***

tulsaoilerfan
11/21/2011, 06:47 PM
The penalties on Nelson and Finch were both bull**** calls

VA Sooner
11/21/2011, 07:43 PM
You are a much braver soul than me to have watched the game again so soon.

cvsooner
11/21/2011, 07:49 PM
Prob'ly a good thing I wasn't able to record it. Not sure I could face watching it again. Very sloppy on O, a couple of WTF moments by Landry (4th and a bunch late in the game and you throw it out of the endzone?!), a great run by Franks ruined by a fumble (tho to be fair that was a good hit into the ball), and I'm trying to remember a single pass breakup. The only one that pops to mind is the immaculate reception. Talk about all the bounces going your way. That includes the errant snap deep into the Baylor backfield. We never had a play on it, not even close. Frustrating game.

Well, on to Iowa State.