PDA

View Full Version : Haney on FIRE - Sooners have failed to fix a safety hazard

PLaw
11/21/2011, 09:12 AM
This kid brings it smokin' right down the middle of the strike zone.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````
Sooners have failed to fix a safety hazard

OU FOOTBALL — It's become an all-too-familiar sight for Oklahoma and its fans this season, an opposing receiver running free down the middle of the field against the Sooners.

BY TRAVIS HANEY Oklahoman 0
Published: November 20, 2011

WACO, Texas — It's become an all-too-familiar sight for Oklahoma and its fans this season, an opposing receiver running free down the middle of the field against the Sooners.

Sooners have failed to fix a safety hazard

Typically, though, it's something that happens once or twice a game. It's a blip more than anything.

But that wasn't the case here Saturday night. The exception became the norm in Baylor's 45-38 upset of OU – from start to finish, literally.

The Bears had seven plays of more than 20 yards - four of them more than 50 yards – in the 45-38 upset that ended on a 34-yard touchdown from Robert Griffin III to Terrance Williams.

At least Williams was covered, by backup safety Sam Proctor. That didn't often happen on those types of plays.

And, stunningly, it could have been worse for OU.

Safety Javon Harris was beaten on the second play of the game – what would have been a 79-yard touchdown from Griffin to Kendall Wright – but a hold negated it.

Later, in the third quarter, Williams dropped what would have been a 48-yard touchdown. Two possessions later, Griffin overthrew a wide-open Tevin Reese on what would have been an 85-yard score.

Yes. It was that bad.

Oklahoma has miserably failed both tests against the best passing offenses on the schedule so far, giving up a combined 931 yards through the air against Texas Tech and Baylor.

Against Tech, it was the corners – minus injured senior Jamell Fleming – being picked on. That was an anomaly, however. Most of the year, it's been breakdowns by the safeties.

The recurring nature of the problems is the most perplexing part of the whole thing. Remember the opener? The conversation regarding the OU defensive effort against Tulsa was largely related to Harris' play – and mistakes.

The thought was that it didn't hurt the Sooners against TU, but it could later in the year against better opponents. That turned out to be true in late November against a team that had never beaten the Sooners.

Like so many other teams in the conference – or country, for that matter – Baylor has proved to be schizophrenic, looking starkly different from week to week. There's no doubting the quality of the offensive personnel, but the Bears have looked hapless at times offensively.

Example: They scored three points in the first three quarters two weeks ago at Kansas, needing overtime – and a failed KU two-point conversion – to beat the 2-9 Jayhawks.

Baylor put it all together Saturday against the Sooners. But, boy, the Bears had help.

It's tough singling out a player, but Harris has been the goat on a number of these plays throughout the season. He gets turned around fairly easily and, by the time he reacts, the receiver is well past him.

In recent weeks, Travis Lewis has been covering the receiver, expecting help from Harris. But, each time, Harris has been out of position and Lewis – and then Harris – wind up chasing the receiver all the way down the field. It happened with Ryan Swope against Texas A&M. Happened a couple of times Saturday night.

The players then wind up bickering at one another after the play, which is no good, either. Harris caught an earful from Bob Stoops, Brent Venables and secondary coach Willie Martinez – all at the same time – at one point. He's been capable of big, big plays to help the Sooners – and equally capable of allowing big, big plays.

An ankle injury sidelined Harris late. It could provide for more snaps this week for Proctor. Perhaps OU looks at Tony Jefferson at safety, also, depending on how his knee sprain is progressing.

It's been baffling to see this happen all season to the Sooners. Especially witnessing the zenith – maybe? – of the breakdowns in Game 10. You'd think the issues would be ironed out by late November.

With a freshman quarterback still finding his way, Iowa State doesn't figure to vertically stretch the Sooners this week. But Oklahoma State is on deck.

The Sooners had better figure out something by Dec. 3, unless they want to look at Justin Blackmon's back.

Read more: http://newsok.com/sooners-have-failed-to-fix-a-safety-hazard/article/3625227#ixzz1eLgewfWb

dwarthog
11/21/2011, 09:21 AM
Amen brother!

rainiersooner
11/21/2011, 09:27 AM
It had escaped my attention that Kansas was able to hold the Bears to 9 points. Good Lord!!!!!

delhalew
11/21/2011, 09:40 AM
Well, I'm glad he's making noise about. I hope he never let's up. Somebody needs to hold Bob's feet to fire.

kbsooner21
11/21/2011, 09:45 AM
I think OU fans meltdown with the best of em. LOL thanks for the laughs

OUInformant
11/21/2011, 09:45 AM
The defense was downright pathetic. The coaches either aren't getting the defense (and the team for that matter) ready to play each week, or they are simply making things to difficult for them to understand.

sooneron
11/21/2011, 10:06 AM
It had escaped my attention that Kansas was able to hold the Bears to 9 points. Good Lord!!!!!

That was more to the Bears being schizo, as the writer mentioned, than KU having a D that stopped Baylor.

oudanny
11/21/2011, 10:34 AM
This isn't the first season that guys have run wide open against our D but it is definitely the worst.

PLaw
11/21/2011, 10:39 AM
The defense was downright pathetic. The coaches either aren't getting the defense (and the team for that matter) ready to play each week, or they are simply making things to difficult for them to understand.

or, the coaches have lost the team. There are players that don't get motivated when a coach is constantly going bizerk in their face and shut down.

MountainOkie
11/21/2011, 11:09 AM
or, the coaches have lost the team. There are players that don't get motivated when a coach is constantly going bizerk in their face and shut down.

Good insight. I would find it difficult to maintain my respect for a person who yells and screams every other down.

With that said that method of coaching does work for some people.

sheepdogs
11/21/2011, 11:23 AM
Good insight. I would find it difficult to maintain my respect for a person who yells and screams every other down. With that said that method of coaching does work for some people.

So the military life would not be for them.

Soonerjeepman
11/21/2011, 02:15 PM
honestly I don't see any of our coaches "going psycho" on the players...not too many times...not any more than some other coaches and a lot less than others..

I did see T Lewis talkin to Harris after the infamous a$$ chewing...and he said something...Harris must have told Lewis to back off or something...T lewis was "I'm just tryin to help you"...ah well...tis what tis...

jumperstop
11/21/2011, 02:35 PM
honestly I don't see any of our coaches "going psycho" on the players...not too many times...not any more than some other coaches and a lot less than others..

I did see T Lewis talkin to Harris after the infamous a$$ chewing...and he said something...Harris must have told Lewis to back off or something...T lewis was "I'm just tryin to help you"...ah well...tis what tis...

I did not like the fact that you could see every little conversation and personal moment that was going on the sideline...the camera angles were to perfect...

oumartin
11/21/2011, 02:40 PM

You don't know the half of it. You are correct but vendables issues are much deeper than that.

PhiDeltBeers
11/21/2011, 03:06 PM
Like many of the posters on this forum, this particular writer is stating facts. I think some people on here are delusional to the facts (koolaiders). I'm on the fence between the little cival wars going on in this forum, but I'm a realist and can tell that there are some obvious issues that can't just be swept under the rug like a few people seem to be doing. I'm not saying anyone needs to be fired, but it doesn't take genius to see the same issues being exposed week after week...year after year.

Soonerjeepman
11/21/2011, 03:15 PM
I did not like the fact that you could see every little conversation and personal moment that was going on the sideline...the camera angles were to perfect...

lol..whatever dude...I'd say overall the coaches don't have the rep to go "Pelini" on them...but whatever...if you are referring to what I said about Lewis...saying to Harris...I was INTERESTED in how Lewis was going to support his teammate as a captain...so sue me that I watched that close...

PLaw
11/21/2011, 09:07 PM
You don't know the half of it. You are correct but vendables issues are much deeper than that.

care to expound on that a little??

SoonerMarkVA
11/21/2011, 09:12 PM

Of course he won't.

oumartin
11/21/2011, 09:32 PM

just think Mangino, Jim Leviett, Mike Leach,

I suspect at some point things will come out.

hornswaggled
11/21/2011, 09:46 PM
just think Mangino, Jim Leviett, Mike Leach,

I suspect at some point things will come out.

One common attribute to that group is that they all worked for Bill Snyder. Is that your point?

oumartin
11/21/2011, 09:47 PM
why are they all out of job?

Seamus
11/21/2011, 09:58 PM
Masterlock Pro Series No. 6121 being slapped on thread in 3 ... 2 ...

C&CDean
11/21/2011, 09:59 PM
why are they all out of job?

Because today's college football players and their daddys are giant poonies?

oumartin
11/21/2011, 10:03 PM
Because today's college football players and their daddys are giant poonies?

could be, but I do know that he's very close to getting turned in to the administration

hornswaggled
11/21/2011, 10:04 PM
One common attribute to that group is that they all worked for Bill Snyder. Is that your point?

I apologize for replying to my own post, but I was thinking of Venables as one of the group that worked for Snyder. Leach never did.

C&CDean
11/21/2011, 10:05 PM
could be, but I do know that he's very close to getting turned in to the administration

Really? Who marty? Who? And for what? We're all waiting with bated breath.

oumartin
11/21/2011, 10:26 PM

I'm not going to give out player(s) name on here.

but yeah, really.

C&CDean
11/21/2011, 10:28 PM
I'm not going to give out player(s) name on here.

but yeah, really.

I thought you were talking about one of our coaches.

oumartin
11/21/2011, 10:30 PM
I apologize, yes our beloved defensive coordinator motivational tactics might land him in trouble in the way things got other coaches in trouble.

Soonerus
11/21/2011, 10:32 PM
I apologize, yes our beloved defensive coordinator motivational tactics might land him in trouble in the way things got other coaches in trouble.

He been hanging out with teens ???

oumartin
11/21/2011, 10:35 PM
No, he's no sandusky. Just his tactics have created a disconnect with at least one player who sees quite a bit of playing time.

AlboSooner
11/21/2011, 10:36 PM
Masterlock Pro Series No. 6121 being slapped on thread in 3 ... 2 ...

good call

Soonerus
11/21/2011, 10:38 PM
The defense seemed disconnected, talented but disconnected...

cleller
11/22/2011, 09:02 AM
Regarding the problems at safety:
As we've heard from coaches for years, if they had someone better, he'd be playing. That's the part that bothers me most.

BeaSooner
11/22/2011, 01:24 PM

Are you saying you have bait breath?

SoonerMarkVA
11/22/2011, 02:18 PM
Are you saying you have bait breath?

Only if you also think know means yes.

picasso
11/22/2011, 10:01 PM
Is this the same guy that writes the 10 reasons why OU lost crap? That stuff is just plain silly.