PDA

View Full Version : Question for OU Fans at the Game

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2011, 03:27 AM
What's your opinion of scrapping FCS for the new on-campus facility v. giving FCS a bottom-to-top remodeling? As far as watching the game there, how was your experience? I'm curious because I know all the common complaints from our end, but I'd like to know what the folks outside the bubble are thinking.

yermom
11/21/2011, 03:41 AM
I'm thinking I feel a sharp pain every time I see one of your posts today.

My only complaint was the damn cameras in front of me when the LOS was around the 20

Texas Golfer
11/21/2011, 04:57 AM
I never had a bad experience at FCS. I saw the drawing of the new stadium and it looks awesome.

Sooner70
11/21/2011, 07:56 AM
I only attended one game at FCS a few years back when I was visiting campus with my college-bound daughter (didn't attend Baylor after all), and they were playing OSU that day. I thought the facility was fine. A little far from campus, but that seemed to help the parking, etc.

htownsooner7
11/21/2011, 10:55 AM
Stadium seemed a bit dated, but overall was fine. I was floored with how nice the fans were. We loved the environment at George's before the game, would you lose that if you went on campus? No offense, but I'd be concerned if you put the game on the campus of a baptist university, you run the risk of taking the fun out of pre and post game festivities.

Tear Down This Wall
11/21/2011, 01:45 PM
Once you get inside where the seats are, Floyd Casey is fine. My wife loves the stadium because the rows are roomier than at Owen Field. I've sat all over it since Baylor joined the Big 12 and never had any sight problems.

The problem with Baylor is that once you walk down the ramp, you're in a high school stadium. The bathroom, concession stands, etc., are like high school stadium quality.

Also, I don't really see the point in a whole new stadium for Baylor. FCS holds 50k, but only 40k showed up for the OU game. That's pretty typical, or has been every time I've been there.

There is plenty of room outside the stadium. They could easily double or triple the size of the concourses and add new restrooms and concessions.

NOTE: I realize Baylor will build a whole new stadium. I'm just saying, it's not really necessary. If BU were selling out every game and just getting enough seats for people was a problem, that would be one thing. But, it's not.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2011, 02:00 PM
Once you get inside where the seats are, Floyd Casey is fine. My wife loves the stadium because the rows are roomier than at Owen Field. I've sat all over it since Baylor joined the Big 12 and never had any sight problems.

The problem with Baylor is that once you walk down the ramp, you're in a high school stadium. The bathroom, concession stands, etc., are like high school stadium quality.

Also, I don't really see the point in a whole new stadium for Baylor. FCS holds 50k, but only 40k showed up for the OU game. That's pretty typical, or has been every time I've been there.

There is plenty of room outside the stadium. They could easily double or triple the size of the concourses and add new restrooms and concessions.

NOTE: I realize Baylor will build a whole new stadium. I'm just saying, it's not really necessary. If BU were selling out every game and just getting enough seats for people was a problem, that would be one thing. But, it's not.

The point of the stadium isn't to expand. The new stadium is going to have about the same number of seats as FCS. I think the real reason for a new stadium is to increase student and (as an outside chance) local participation. Nobody likes the location of FCS and, as you said, the in-stadium facilities are pretty bad.

I've been on board with a new on-campus facility for a long time, but I hate 'change' and 'progress' so I really hate to see FCS abandoned. Hopefully then can put it to some sort of good use. I don't know how possible or feasible this would be, but I was thinking it might be neat to sell FCS to some sort of conglomerate of all the Waco area/central Texas high schools and then let them rotate use of the stadium for their really big games. I think they already have some playoff games there.

Some have suggested selling it to Waco High, but Waco High already has a pretty good and fairly new stadium.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2011, 02:07 PM
Stadium seemed a bit dated, but overall was fine. I was floored with how nice the fans were. We loved the environment at George's before the game, would you lose that if you went on campus? No offense, but I'd be concerned if you put the game on the campus of a baptist university, you run the risk of taking the fun out of pre and post game festivities.

I don't think George's would really be hurt. It's too much of an institution, and it's pretty full even on non-game and weekday nights. Plus, I think some of the south Waco people already go to the new George's in Hewitt which takes some of the pressure off of the original location. HOWEVER, the new one in Hewitt just isn't the same as the original (they never are).

As for the pre/post game festivities. THAT is a very very good question. Tailgating is just now starting to come into its own at FCS due in large part to the "unspoken" rule of the last several years that BDPS would not enforce the no-alcohol rule so long as there were no open containers, it was kept in a cup, and as long as everyone behaved themselves. BDPS used to patrol the area like the Gestapo banging down every door in Berlin looking for someone with the last name Feldman. It killed tailgating at FCS.

Now, FCS is Baylor property and Baylor rules apply to it just as much as they do right in front of Pat Neff Hall. So long as BDPS continues its current level of enforcement at the new stadium, I think the tailgating atmosphere will continue to grow and develop its own somewhat unique character because of the river access.

Lawton4Life
11/21/2011, 02:32 PM
Its not a bad stadium at all. Nice turf, the rows are roomy. Its much nicer than the KSU stadium was before they remodeled and Lewis Field before all the Pickens money.

It feels like they're trying to create a football atmosphere more now than when I first went in 2008. That game was like a day in the park..we missed the second half kickoff hanging out under the stadium because it was so quiet. This time there was lot of music, 3rd down graphics etc...it feels like they're trying to get some excitement going.

Now maybe you dont have to ONLY play BLACK BETTY when its 3rd down :)

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2011, 03:28 PM
Its not a bad stadium at all. Nice turf, the rows are roomy. Its much nicer than the KSU stadium was before they remodeled and Lewis Field before all the Pickens money.

It feels like they're trying to create a football atmosphere more now than when I first went in 2008. That game was like a day in the park..we missed the second half kickoff hanging out under the stadium because it was so quiet. This time there was lot of music, 3rd down graphics etc...it feels like they're trying to get some excitement going.

Now maybe you dont have to ONLY play BLACK BETTY when its 3rd down :)

Heh, that OU game in '08 is when I met up with Melo. It felt like a rather leisurely baseball game.

I give a lot of credit to our Canadian AD who, despite not being able to properly pronounce 'Baylor', has made some pretty good changes.

htownsooner7
11/21/2011, 03:28 PM
I don't think George's would really be hurt. It's too much of an institution, and it's pretty full even on non-game and weekday nights. Plus, I think some of the south Waco people already go to the new George's in Hewitt which takes some of the pressure off of the original location. HOWEVER, the new one in Hewitt just isn't the same as the original (they never are).

As for the pre/post game festivities. THAT is a very very good question. Tailgating is just now starting to come into its own at FCS due in large part to the "unspoken" rule of the last several years that BDPS would not enforce the no-alcohol rule so long as there were no open containers, it was kept in a cup, and as long as everyone behaved themselves. BDPS used to patrol the area like the Gestapo banging down every door in Berlin looking for someone with the last name Feldman. It killed tailgating at FCS.

Now, FCS is Baylor property and Baylor rules apply to it just as much as they do right in front of Pat Neff Hall. So long as BDPS continues its current level of enforcement at the new stadium, I think the tailgating atmosphere will continue to grow and develop its own somewhat unique character because of the river access.

Sat next to an old Baylor fogey who was talking about drinking before and after games and told me this joke: "the main difference between baptists and methodists is that methodists say hello to each other at the liquor store." I thought that was pretty funny.

GDC
11/21/2011, 03:29 PM
What's your opinion of scrapping FCS for the new on-campus facility v. giving FCS a bottom-to-top remodeling? As far as watching the game there, how was your experience? I'm curious because I know all the common complaints from our end, but I'd like to know what the folks outside the bubble are thinking.

**** off. Stop constantly posting for no other reason than to remind us about the game.