PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Who Enjoyed "The Pacific" Miniseries

MsProudSooner
11/21/2011, 12:38 AM
will enjoy The National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg, Texas.

http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org/index.asp

GDC
11/21/2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks, my gramps served in the Philippines, this is good to know.

jumperstop
11/21/2011, 03:16 PM
I do love museums. This doesn't look to close to OKC, but closer than most other WWII museums in the country...

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2011, 03:31 PM
I've been meaning to hit up the National WWII Museum in New Orleans on one of my trips, but I haven't made it yet. I'm such a huge WWII buff that I've never been able to get enough of it.

I'd like to see this museum in Fredericksberg. My grandfather fought in the Pacific -- 1st Cav. recon platoon. He was an "old army" cavalry guy from when they still had horses. He used to train cavalry up at Ft. Riley before the army took their horses away just before the Louisiana maneuvers.

GDC
11/21/2011, 04:35 PM
Everyone needs to visit Europe at some point and visit the actual sites like Normandy and Bastogne. Life changing.

jumperstop
11/21/2011, 04:37 PM
Everyone needs to visit Europe at some point and visit the actual sites like Normandy and Bastogne. Life changing.

That's what I'm doing on my next trip to Europe. Going to go full Band of Brothers tour starting in England, Normandy, Battle of the Bulge, all that sounds way awesome. You can find a ton of companies doing tours online, I'd probably just go freelance.

GDC
11/21/2011, 04:38 PM
Point Du Hoc will blow your mind. Thinking about those Rangers climbing the sheer cliffs under fire, powerful stuff.

MsProudSooner
11/21/2011, 11:01 PM
I had no idea that museum even existed. My daughter and I took a weekend trip to San Antonio and decided to take in the shopping in Fredericksbeg. As soon as I saw that museum, I told her she could shop without me. I spent 2 hours there and there were severa exhibits that I only skimmed. They have a Japanese midget sub on display, as well as several complete airplanes, a replica of Admiral Nimitz's barge, a jeep and several gun batteries. There is also an outdoor exhibit of Higgins boats and some other things that I didn't have time to see. It's a much larger museum than the one in Caen. The museum in New Orleans is on my list of things to see, as well.