PDA

View Full Version : So after the game, what did you do?

OKLA21FAN
11/20/2011, 11:39 PM
Well,
Me and Mrs okla21fan made the trek back thru the BU tailgating area and parking area on our way back the RV area and I had nothing but respectful exchanges with the BU faithful. The common phrase was 'great game' and 'thanks' and 'have a safe trip'.
After we made it back to the RV area, we popped a few Miller Lites and I 'waited' for the RV dudes a couple of RVs down from us that were huge BU fans. Once they settled in, I walked up to them, gave them a big congrats (we actually shared a pregame meal). Then proceeded to to 're-live' the game. While it was hard at some points, these guys 'got it', they were ecstatic, but all the while also understood just what it takes and feels to have a victory like the one that just happened.

We drank beers on Baylor University property till after 'closing' time in Oklahoma. It was cool. Its a perspective dealio I think. Boomer!

agoo758
11/20/2011, 11:48 PM
I just remember being really pissed, got in the shower, and went to bed. Fortunately, had a good gig 8 hours later, so more less forgot about it. I would have hated a long drive after a game like that.

the-rover
11/20/2011, 11:51 PM
I went to bed...glad the folks you came across were good representatives of the university they are fans of.

soonervegas
11/20/2011, 11:52 PM
10 years ago..... It would have ruined my weekend. Last night, stayed up for a little reading all the humorous posts then went to bed and slept like a baby.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2011, 12:04 AM
Well,
Me and Mrs okla21fan made the trek back thru the BU tailgating area and parking area on our way back the RV area and I had nothing but respectful exchanges with the BU faithful. The common phrase was 'great game' and 'thanks' and 'have a safe trip'.
Glad to hear it! The students can get a bit mouthy sometimes, but that's almost universally true of any school.

After we made it back to the RV area, we popped a few Miller Lites and I 'waited' for the RV dudes a couple of RVs down from us that were huge BU fans. Once they settled in, I walked up to them, gave them a big congrats (we actually shared a pregame meal). Then proceeded to to 're-live' the game. While it was hard at some points, these guys 'got it', they were ecstatic, but all the while also understood just what it takes and feels to have a victory like the one that just happened.
You know...it's weird. We're generally a pessimistic lot when it comes to football, but there was something in the air about this game. I've been talking to a few other people about it and it's weird how we all had the same sense that the night was going to be something special. I think everyone was too happy and too overjoyed to even think about being an *******.

We drank beers on Baylor University property till after 'closing' time in Oklahoma. It was cool. Its a perspective dealio I think. Boomer!

Glad you had a good time! Did you make it over to the actual campus at all? I encourage everyone to take a quick drive down University Parks to see all of the new athletic facilities along the river. We're pretty proud of the money and effort we've poured into that area.

Heh, I just noticed you asked to get together in the "Prepare" thread. I didn't make it to Waco though or I would have loved to!

SOONER44EVER
11/21/2011, 12:06 AM
10 years ago..... It would have ruined my weekend. Last night, stayed up for a little reading all the humorous posts then went to bed and slept like a baby. Me too. Sadly, losses like this don't surprise me much any more.

Peach Fuzz
11/21/2011, 12:09 AM
I got on here and posted about firing the staff 108 times, then beat my dog for drinking water too fast.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2011, 12:11 AM
Me too. Sadly, losses like this don't surprise me much any more.

Oddly, I'm not sure it would have meant as much to us to win 10 years ago. That was my fish year, and I remember that season very well since Steele left a permanent scar on my football psyche. Those Steele era teams were beyond the word horrific. The absolute absurdity of the idea of a Kevin Steele coached and Greg Cicero led team beating OU that season aside, I think we would have looked at it purely as an absolute fluke when put into the context of that season. We rushed the field after beating New Mexico State in OT for God's sake...New Mexico State!

The reason this game meant so much was because it isn't viewed by us as a fluke -- we view it as the next dragon that had to be slayed in order to finally build a successful football program since joining the Big XII.

SOONER44EVER
11/21/2011, 12:13 AM
Oddly, I'm not sure it would have meant as much to us to win 10 years ago. That was my fish year, and I remember that season very well since Steele left a permanent scar on my football psyche. Those Steele era teams were beyond the word horrific. The absolute absurdity of the idea of a Kevin Steele coached and Greg Cicero led team beating OU that season aside, I think we would have looked at it purely as an absolute fluke when put into the context of that season. We rushed the field after beating New Mexico State in OT for God's sake...New Mexico State!

The reason this game meant so much was because it isn't viewed by us as a fluke -- we view it as the next dragon that had to be slayed in order to finally build a successful football program since joining the Big XII. It definitely wasn't a fluke. Baylor is good.

Texas Golfer
11/21/2011, 05:13 AM
I went to a Baylor tailgate and let them get me drunk. It was the least I could do.

llsooner7
11/21/2011, 05:29 AM
Surprised how gently resigned I was after the game. I was f-ing inconsolable after Taco Tech. RGIII is a hell of a football player.

rdusooner
11/21/2011, 07:44 AM
I got yelled at by the wife at around 2:30 EST for not being in bed. Then I got the annual "this is why you shouldn't watch football" speech.

BoulderSooner79
11/21/2011, 10:03 AM
I flipped over to the Stanford game.

oudanny
11/21/2011, 10:30 AM
I drank a Moose Drool and watched the Stanford game, then went to bed. The sun still came up the next morning.

HolaKyle
11/21/2011, 10:33 AM
Played Modern Warfare 3 for a couple of hours. It is always fun to displace my anger on other players by owning them.

Cantstandya
11/21/2011, 10:36 AM
Well,

I too went to the game and had a very positive experience - sans the loss of course. There seemed to be more Sooner fans than Bear fans. Big XII Has been a very competitive league this year, no doubt...

HoustonSooner23
11/21/2011, 10:45 AM
Since I have moved to Houston, I have gone to Baylor/OU games in Waco for the past 10 years. This year was the first year that really had a good football gameday atmosphere. We also tailgated throughout the day in the RV lots, and I loved the fact that there was cable and electricity at the spots. I also like the fact that we could just pop over to HEB and buy whatever we needed. SicEmBaylor, I have to agree that money has been well spent on the campus. The athletic facilities and the new science building are both great examples. I can't wait until Baylor starts building the new stadium.
So to answer the thread question, after the game we also went back out to the tailgate spot and hung out for a bit. I didn't hear one negative thing from the Baylor fans. I also enjoyed watching the post-game festivities from the fans on the field. I attended the game with some Baylor alum, and they were almost in tears after the game. One of the ladies with us told me that she has invested so much time and money into the university and games like the one on Saturday make it all worth it.

One observation I had after the game is that universities, like Baylor and others that don't necessarily have a winning tradition, really focus on each and every game. I think as a whole, the Sooner Nation tends to focus on the bigger picture at times instead of the task at hand. I, for one, was really bummed about the Iowa State/OSU game the night before and the consequences it had on the national championship hopes for OU. I am hoping that the losses to Tech and Baylor this year will be a wake up call for the Sooners. Hopefully next year we can focus on each and every game, and realize that every week is more important than the bigger picture. If we take care of business week in and week out, then the bigger picture will take care of itself.

Soonerjeepman
11/21/2011, 10:53 AM
the real test for baylor will be what they do AFTER RGIII...he's a stud no doubt...but can they sustain it...1 time out of 20 isn't a good thing...

but congrats to them...they beat us but no fluke play and we win...all is not loss...

** oh. about forgot...went to bed...

Zin
11/21/2011, 11:00 AM
I went and revisted one of my favorite funny internet picture threads. Got a good laugh and went to bed.

kustang619
11/21/2011, 11:26 AM
After what I am dubbing as the "timeout", I got on Twitter to see all of the amazing comments people were making... waiting to see what the players had to say (that always entertains me). Then I went on facebook and made a sarcastic "shark" comment. Sunday I went down to the dome to watch my guy bradford get hit time and time again... It was a bad football weekend for me.

oudavid1
11/21/2011, 11:59 AM
I went out with some friends, stopped by to see the "ole ball and chain", came home and coded some C++.
And yes.......I tweeted!

SoonerKnight
11/21/2011, 12:55 PM
I got yelled at by the wife at around 2:30 EST for not being in bed. Then I got the annual "this is why you shouldn't watch football" speech.

Get your pants back! :D

BigTip
11/21/2011, 01:00 PM
Drove back to Austin. We stopped at a gas station about 20 miles south of Waco. There were about 10 people in the little store part. All 10 of us were in Sooner garb. It was a very quiet store!

I enjoyed the game. I told my wife it was like going to Las Vegas. Going to Las Vegas is always fun for me, but it's a lot more fun when I come home a winner.

For those that went, what percentage of the stadium do you think was crimson? I would say easily 20%. A friend told me that watching it on TV there seemed to be as much Sooner crowd noise as Baylor crowd noise. I find that hard to believe, especially the roar that occurred on their last touchdown.

I've said it on a couple of other threads, but I found it strange/sad that Baylor couldn't fill this 40,000 person stadium for one of their biggest games ever. Them ranked playing a highly ranked opponent. Do they really need a new stadium? Maybe it's a "build it and they will come" idea.

BigTip
11/21/2011, 01:01 PM

And your man parts! lol

tfoolry
11/21/2011, 01:02 PM
I tried to shoot myself but the bullet was somehow deflected & went right out the back door.

yermom
11/21/2011, 01:03 PM
got in the car, waited for traffic for what seemed like an eternity, got back to Dallas, watched some game low-lights and went to sleep for like 10 hours

the Baylor fans were all cool. they were even cool as we jumped around in the middle of them when we tied it up in the 4th

they all just kinda stayed out of our way as we left

watching the field fill up with fans after a loss is a pretty ****ty sight

possumfat
11/21/2011, 01:07 PM
This type of loss is very common now, use to bother me but now I'm conditioned. Spent about an hour reading the variety of posts here and saving the best for last by visiting the Orange Power site...............always a great place to be amazed and entertained at the same time.

StoopTroup
11/21/2011, 01:19 PM
I was in the Game Thread on this Board. I congratulated Baylor on the win as no matter what I think...it's never gonna get turned around.

I saw quite a few meltdowns so I unplugged and spent some time with the Family that didn't include anything Football as I knew from experience that getting in a conversation with folks that want to fire someone. or kill something isn't gonna make anything any better. Avoiding the **** stirrers is key.

For those of you that went to the Game you have my ultimate respect. Even though we lost.....I still wish I could have been there rooting this Team on if it was possible. I still believe they are a great Bunch of players and a great Team. I have had Martinez on my **** list since he came here and even though he might still be here next year....I may have to someday endure a plate of crow but as it stands today....we are short handed in our secondary and when the guys we have have a bad day....I think we are screwed right now. Not every Player can have 100% days throughout a Season and we aren't prepared in depth at this point in the Season back there and that's totally on him IMO. We will see how this plays out as I would imagine Bob didn't cut him loose last year because of how many who could have gone Pro returned. As it looks right now...it was a mistake by Bob to hire him but he did and our Players are suffering because of it. Harris didn't give up which is why I still think he's an amazing guy at times but he needs some help from time to time back there. The way the Refs called the game Saturday....it was tough on him and the others. I feel for them as it seems Martinez has zero answers. Venables and Stoops are going to have to address this and look to some young guys to step up even if Martinez doesn't think they are ready.

Tear Down This Wall
11/21/2011, 01:24 PM
Walked up the aisle and out of the stadium with the wife and kids and drove home to Frisco. Listened to postgame show up to the point where Coach Merv left while driving. Stopped in DeSoto to eat at Whataburger.

Kids slept pretty much from Waco to DeSoto. Wife kept asking me, "Why did he call time out, again?" Woman, for the millionth time, no one knows.

My best answer was: "Bob Stoops hates good luck...which is what it was for us to have come back late in the game. Art Briles sent him a gift in the form of a running play to try to get to overtime, and he rejected it. Lady luck then said, 'To hell with this guy.'"

Another answer was: "He has a brain like a dog and forgets what happened in the past. Like a dog being tricked over and over again into being put outside with the fake ball throw, Stoops' forgot about his secondary being burned all night, and defaulted to timeout in that situation like a dog bolting through the door and looking for a ball that will never be there."

Here, Stoops! Here, boy! Get the ball! Get the ball!

OUInformant
11/21/2011, 01:50 PM
I was inconsolable. I still am really, but just not a complete psycho like I was after the game.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2011, 02:17 PM
Drove back to Austin. We stopped at a gas station about 20 miles south of Waco. There were about 10 people in the little store part. All 10 of us were in Sooner garb. It was a very quiet store!

I enjoyed the game. I told my wife it was like going to Las Vegas. Going to Las Vegas is always fun for me, but it's a lot more fun when I come home a winner.

For those that went, what percentage of the stadium do you think was crimson? I would say easily 20%. A friend told me that watching it on TV there seemed to be as much Sooner crowd noise as Baylor crowd noise. I find that hard to believe, especially the roar that occurred on their last touchdown.

I've said it on a couple of other threads, but I found it strange/sad that Baylor couldn't fill this 40,000 person stadium for one of their biggest games ever. Them ranked playing a highly ranked opponent. Do they really need a new stadium? Maybe it's a "build it and they will come" idea.
Capacity is 50k and the official attendance numbers were in the 40k range. Baylor fans beyond my years have become pretty good at pegging the general number of visiting fans, and they all universally put the number at between 8-10k for the Sooners which is a pretty damned good showing. Aggies love to brag and inflate the number of people they bring up from CS, but even they rarely get up to those numbers.

From TV, it looked like a little more than 1/4 of the stadium were Sooners which does not reflect well on us. I was pretty disappointed by our fans, but we're not exactly a rabid sports school especially when it comes to football. We should have been filled to capacity with the tarp off the endzone.

Right now our football team is having the best season in almost two decades. We're going bowling for only the second time since joining the Big XII. Our WBB team is ranked #1. Our men's team is a top 25. Our tennis program is still top notch. I'm told our soccer teams are doing well (who cares), and the equestrian team just knocked off the #2 ranked Aggies. Someone on BF's put it perfectly: this is the Golden Age of Baylor sports. And yet we have a fairly dismal showing this last Saturday.

On the plus side, the fans that did bother to show up seemed to have a LOT more energy than is generally characteristic of our fans. They were louder on TV than I've heard them in a very long time. Crutch Girl is a perfect example of the dedication the fans that did bother to show up have.

I'd cut off my left testicle to have been there last Saturday.

SoonerPride93
11/21/2011, 02:24 PM
Made my FB status

"RGIII For Heisman"

BigTip
11/21/2011, 03:02 PM
Harris didn't give up which is why I still think he's an amazing guy at times but he needs some help from time to time back there.

Harris? Javon Harris? (just to be clear who we are talking about)

(clears throat, rolls eyes, and facetiously says) Okaaaaaaaaaaay.

Ok to agree with you, maybe he didn't give up, but maybe he just is not that talented. We've had deep problems all year. It has to be SOMEBODY'S fault.

Did anyone see how Harris was limping, hobbled actually, at the end of the game. He kept looking to the sidelines. I don't have a clue why he didn't come out. The second to last touchdown for them they ran right over him.

allanace16
11/21/2011, 03:22 PM
A condition of my buddy coming with me to the game was he had to be back for church in the AM, so we drove him back to Garland. After coercion from some friends in Norman (and realizing my accommodations in Dallas weren't that great), decided to come the rest of the way back. Got a speeding ticket. Cop laughed at me when I said I went to the game. Got back at 4, and after 5 minutes of being back (and running around to get people) everyone decided they were ready to go home. Saturday sucked.

I also am puzzled now to why Baylor's trying to build a new stadium, considering I would have put it at 1/4 OU fans at FCS, and it wasn't sold out for what I would think is one of the biggest games there in years. Plus, besides it not being on campus, I didn't think FCS was a bad place to catch a game. I've been to worse for sure. Ran into some mouthy folks after the game, but it seemed to be all drunk students, so I hold no ill to BU on that. Halftime was cool, I actually enjoyed the BU band a lot. Seems like they were legitimately enjoying themselves, which I don't know that I really see that out of the Pride except for scant occasions anymore. And I guess I'd never actually seen the field rushed in person, so that was an experience :succ:

BigTip
11/21/2011, 06:31 PM
. And I guess I'd never actually seen the field rushed in person, so that was an experience :succ:

You're a better man than I Gunga Din. We left after the touchdown.

rdusooner
11/21/2011, 07:14 PM

I lost those along time ago, the breeze is nice

And your man parts! lol

See above :moody:

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2011, 07:20 PM
I think I've rushed the field 5-6 times. I've been an advocate of letting at least the student section rush the field after every win. The players get a kick out of it. Families go out there with their kids and get autographs and pictures, and the students have fun doing it. It's really a pretty cool thing to be out there in the middle of the field with the rest of Baylordom (well a small part of it) as the BUGWB strikes up "The Tennessee Waltz" and then everyone sings the school song followed by a group "Sic 'em Bears!"

MamaMia
11/21/2011, 07:29 PM
I cried. I'm a total sissy. Then I emailed all my Baylor relatives and congratulated them.

BajaOklahoma
11/21/2011, 08:23 PM
We've been going to the game in Waco since 2004. Most of the people have been very nice, with a few exceptions. And the exceptions all seem to be elderly.

And I've never seen so many Baylor fans at a game before. Usually it is 75% crimson for this game.

FtWorthSooner
11/21/2011, 08:56 PM
I thought the crowd was closer to 40% sooner fans. Half of the side with Baylor band/students was OU fans. The north endzone was prob 75% and on the press box side, OU fans were in the majority from the 10 yardlines into the endzone.

I got down the aisle and into the concourse before the Baylor team had even finished celebrating the TD (still wondering why the hell we called a timeout). We were out of the parking lot in less than 5 min and I pulled into my driveway in Ft Worth at 12:30am...exactly an hour and a half after we left the parking lot.

Perhaps Baylor can purchase some pavement for their parking lot with their bowl payout.

Soonerus
11/21/2011, 09:14 PM
I was at the game and hated the loss but I truly enjoyed watching the unbridled joy of the Baylor fans on the field. Baylor fans were very nice before, during and after the game. I went back to the RV lot and drank and bitched with other OU fans until 2:00, it was very therapeutic...

SoonerNate
11/21/2011, 09:25 PM
I sure as hell didn't get into a tree stand and go hunting.

C&CDean
11/21/2011, 09:26 PM
I sure as hell didn't get into a tree stand and go hunting.

Hell no you didn't. They don't do that **** in Jupiter.

SoonerNate
11/21/2011, 09:29 PM
Actually hunting wild hogs are big down here. There's some gator and deer as well. I haven't hunted since I was back in OK. That ended quickly though once every land owner became such a greedy prick that we ran out of places to go.

C&CDean
11/21/2011, 09:36 PM
Actually hunting wild hogs are big down here. There's some gator and deer as well. I haven't hunted since I was back in OK. That ended quickly though once every land owner became such a greedy prick that we ran out of places to go.

You can hunt on my place Nate. Since you're a high-roller from Florida it ain't gonna be cheap...

calling a guy who works hard, buys his own place, then asks others not to hunt it is seriously Obamaesque. Just sayin'.

OU_Sooners75
11/21/2011, 09:37 PM

The reason this game meant so much was because it isn't viewed by us as a fluke -- we view it as the next dragon that had to be slayed in order to finally build a successful football program since joining the Big XII.

Dont worry Sic Em...once RG3 is gone, you all will be back to losing 20 straight to OU.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2011, 09:58 PM
Dont worry Sic Em...once RG3 is gone, you all will be back to losing 20 straight to OU.
Eh, he also recruited Keenum and that other good QB that Houston had whose name escapes me at the moment. They're no RGIII (who is), but Briles has DEEP DEEP Texas HS recruiting ties and has done pretty well scoping QB talent.

Keep in mind that Briles is the only person who saw RGIII's potential as a QB. Texas recruited him as a DB or "general purpose athlete"...OU didn't offer at all. GuyMo tried to get him to come to Baylor as a "walk on" WR.

RGIII won't be able to be replaced, but Briles will not recruit guys like Cicero and Karas to run his offense.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2011, 10:12 PM
A couple of Sooners posted a decent little video of the tailgate area and game day atmosphere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2qdXVy8BlE

AlboSooner
11/21/2011, 10:38 PM
I went to bed. Slept like a baby. crying and tossing all night.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2011, 10:57 PM
I went to bed. Slept like a baby. crying and tossing all night.
Is that much different from every night?

sooner ngintunr
11/21/2011, 11:07 PM
Offed myself.

SicEmBaylor
11/21/2011, 11:09 PM
Offed myself.
You were as successful at this pursuit as your team was at theirs.

*BOOM* *RIMSHOT*

:D

Dio
11/21/2011, 11:10 PM
Rocked the Alley Club with my band- made everybody froget the game for an hour or two.

soon3rfan
11/21/2011, 11:11 PM
I fell asleep on the floor.

sooner ngintunr
11/21/2011, 11:12 PM
You were as successful at this pursuit as your team was at theirs.

*BOOM* *RIMSHOT*

:D

Who knew I was the ****ing lawnmower man? It's kind of cool. The pron is unreal.

AlboSooner
11/21/2011, 11:28 PM
Is that much different from every night?

3/10

stick to sodomy jokes. that seems to be your niche.

oumartin
11/21/2011, 11:30 PM
I slapped my wife, beat my kids and kicked the dog.

Went to the local pub and started a fight and grabbed the waitresses @ss.

Came home, puked on the living room carpet. snorted a line and fell asleep.

sooner ngintunr
11/21/2011, 11:35 PM

Why you lie?

BigTip
11/22/2011, 12:32 AM

That's strange. Most of us did something different than normal after the game.

sooner59
11/22/2011, 09:42 AM
I continued getting drunk, turned off football, turned on a movie, and eventually heated up some leftover pizza and went to bed. Sun came up the next day and we went and got a hamburger for lunch and did a little shopping.

EatLeadCommie
11/22/2011, 10:02 AM
I stayed drunk for two days, then wished I was still drunk on the 3rd day because my hangover sucked so bad.

BoulderSooner79
11/22/2011, 10:58 AM
I continued getting drunk, turned off football, turned on a movie, and eventually heated up some leftover pizza and went to bed. Sun came up the next day and we went and got a hamburger for lunch and did a little shopping.

You ate pizza right before bed? That's just wrong.

:moody: