PDA

View Full Version : I hope none of you are the type...

yankee
11/20/2011, 07:13 PM
That give OU players crap in person, face to face, after a loss/bad game. Like when Tony Jefferson tweeted how he got an ear full from fans at Wal-Mart earlier today. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with some people? These are 18-22 year old kids with a **** ton on their plates. Listen, I'm just as mad about yesterday's loss as anyone. I got up early Saturday morning, drove down to the ghetto that is known as Waco with friends, blew a bunch of money on gas, food and other things, and then watched us play like crap against bible aggy. Then we had to drive back. But it's not like these guys WANTED to play bad, or WANTED to get beat. I guarantee you it hurts like hell for them too.

But I seriously hope none of the posters on here are the type that go out of their way to get after an OU student athlete after a loss. That's not what being a Sooner is about. You see a player like TJ after a game, you say something like "hold your head up high kid, and get 'em next week." Don't tell them they suck, or whatever else. I swear to God if I saw someone do that to any player from any sport I would go off.

Sorry.

/endrant

Widescreen
11/20/2011, 07:15 PM
I'd never criticize a player to their face. Not cool.

However, it's cool to hear Tony Jefferson's name referred to. He went an entire game last night without having his name called by the announcers. ;)

rekamrettuB
11/20/2011, 07:18 PM
I'd be willing to bet that this particular fan lost some money on the game. It was like the guy that yelled at me and my buddy for throwing oranges on the field and getting flagged for it during the OU/Nebraska game of 2004. OU was up 33-0 and the line was 31. Nebraska then broke that long run, by the fullback mind you, and they kicked the field goal. He said "well I hope you're f'ng happy" in front of his 12-14 year old boy. I looked his kid square in the eye and said "let this be a lesson kid...don't gamble".

Sooner91ATL
11/20/2011, 07:58 PM
I am certainly not the type to go up to any player and criticize. A, I probably would get my *** kicked. B, I probably wouldn't recognize anyone in the secondary (and not because they are burned beyond recognition), and C, I have a life.

Regarding C, I also would never follow anyone on twitter, much less a teenage boy. WTF?

BigTip
11/20/2011, 08:30 PM
I probably wouldn't recognize anyone in the secondary (and not because they are burned beyond recognition), ?
This made me actually laugh out loud.

btb916
11/20/2011, 08:40 PM
That's just an embarrassment.

cvsooner
11/20/2011, 08:43 PM
I'd never criticize a player to their face. Not cool.

However, it's cool to hear Tony Jefferson's name referred to. He went an entire game last night without having his name called by the announcers. ;)Okay, I know you're just trying to be funny, but Jefferson was praised a couple of times during the broadcast. He also had one great one on one tackle. I wish more players tackled as securely as he does, as a rule.

soonercastor
11/20/2011, 08:48 PM
Why are you surprised about this? People do much worse things.

Heck you even have things like this happen (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10402967)

People are morons and feel entitled to wins.

soonervegas
11/20/2011, 08:48 PM
Never ever - I probably wouldn't even know who they were if I saw them. Now Stoops on the other hand.....well let me tell you right now, I wouldn't confront him either.

nighttrain12
11/20/2011, 09:28 PM
But what if it was Brent Venables? How many curse words would be the max? 10 or 15?

Widescreen
11/20/2011, 09:47 PM
Okay, I know you're just trying to be funny, but Jefferson was praised a couple of times during the broadcast. He also had one great one on one tackle. I wish more players tackled as securely as he does, as a rule.
He is one of the most secure tacklers we have except on those occasions when he tries to blow people up with a highlight reel hit (that's a problem several of our players seem to have - Wort does it too).

MamaMia
11/20/2011, 10:03 PM
In all honesty, I have never seen a fan or a member of the student body insult an athlete to his or her face, not ever, not in Jr. High, not in High school, and not at OU, and I partied with those guys and girls after wins and losses alike. Granted, people in my generation were much more polite than students and fans are nowadays, but still...It was probably an oSu fan who confronted him.

So, just exactly what did Tony Jefferson say in this twitter?

bluedogok
11/20/2011, 10:03 PM
He is one of the most secure tacklers we have except on those occasions when he tries to blow people up with a highlight reel hit (that's a problem several of our players seem to have - Wort does it too).
The "highlight hit" non-tackle is a problem that afflicts all of football at every level.

trwxxa
11/20/2011, 10:27 PM
If Sooner fans do this, then we are not that much different than Texas fans, and that is not a good thing.

tulsaoilerfan
11/20/2011, 10:28 PM
If u run into any of the players u should tell them we support them no matter what

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
11/20/2011, 10:35 PM
In all honesty, I have never seen a fan or a member of the student body insult an athlete to his or her face, not ever, not in Jr. High, not in High school, and not at OU, and I partied with those guys and girls after wins and losses alike. Granted, people in my generation were much more polite than students and fans are nowadays, but still...It was probably an oSu fan who confronted him.

So, just exactly what did Tony Jefferson say in this twitter?

"Dang the fans in wal Mart weren't very happy with me, got a ear full the whole time I was there. Staying home now"

btk108
11/20/2011, 10:39 PM
Boy...that ought to motivate them.

SicEmBaylor
11/20/2011, 10:40 PM
That give OU players crap in person, face to face, after a loss/bad game. Like when Tony Jefferson tweeted how he got an ear full from fans at Wal-Mart earlier today. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with some people? These are 18-22 year old kids with a **** ton on their plates. Listen, I'm just as mad about yesterday's loss as anyone. I got up early Saturday morning, drove down to the ghetto that is known as Waco with friends, blew a bunch of money on gas, food and other things, and then watched us play like crap against bible aggy.

Waco, Valero, George's, and the MCC students at Two Minnies appreciate your business.

SicEmBaylor
11/20/2011, 10:44 PM
The fans that do **** like that in Wal-Mart to the players, yell obscenities to opposing fan, and act like the biggest cry babies after the games are usually the t-shirt fans. The alumni tend to have a bit more perspective...generally. Not trying to start a t-shirt fan/alumni debate here, but love for the football program is simply part of an overall love for all aspects of the university for most alumni. The football/basketball programs are usually the only think about the university your average t-shirt fan gives a **** about. That's why they pull crap like that at Wal-Mart which is where they seem to congregate.

Now of course this isn't ALWAYS true, but I think it's generally the truth.

cccasooner2
11/20/2011, 10:50 PM
That give OU players crap in person, face to face, after a loss/bad game. Like when Tony Jefferson tweeted how he got an ear full from fans at Wal-Mart earlier today. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with some people?

Self explanatory.

Tiger6
11/20/2011, 10:51 PM
Keep it on the forums people...seriously. I often criticize players, even when I shouldnt, but I try to keep it light hearted. I sure as hell would not go out of my way to confront a player in a public establishment.

MamaMia
11/20/2011, 10:58 PM
"Dang the fans in wal Mart weren't very happy with me, got a ear full the whole time I was there. Staying home now" I've lost leave of my senses. :topsy_turvy:

Except for going to mass, I've been hibernating all day. I just need some time.

MyT Oklahoma
11/20/2011, 11:18 PM
If u run into any of the players u should tell them we support them no matter what

Amen.

pappy
11/20/2011, 11:22 PM
I support the players...kind of like supporting the troops its not their fault if their leader is an idiot. (not saying stoops is an idiot all of the time, but he has his moments *cough* timeout *cough*)

I do hope stoops cleans house a little bit on the defensive side of the ball. I'd keep the d-line coach and that's about it. We have 1 of the top programs in the country, we can get some better assistant coaches.

That being said stoops could go 2-10 and not fire anybody.

CrimsonCommando
11/21/2011, 10:36 AM
I'm that type of fan. I will call out your f-ing Mom if the turkey is dry. I'm an OU alum and I will call out whoever I think coaches or plays like crap. If I feel like it I will fly a banner around our stadium that says "Brent V. is not our standard!" If you are the pansy that thinks every kid should get a medal or ribbon for participating then eff-off loser. If you play or coach like crap there will be repercussions. If you lose enough games, you will get replaced, that goes for Bob, Brent, or Willie M. I'm not going to spare the feelings of player old enough to be trading bullets with the Taliban. They chose to play voluntarily and if they shame the entire freaking effort then they will hear about it from me. I will remind them my tax dollars are paying for the freaking shoes they are wearing. I don't see how I should pump sunshine to the coaches who fail to address concerns that the majority of casual fans can notice. You do not have a single hair on you nuts if you are not able to state what you believe.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/21/2011, 10:40 AM
You do not have a single hair on you nuts if you are not able to state what you believe.

More power to ya...I just know that in a lot of cases, what I believe doesn't matter, so I keep it to myself.

OrlandoSooner
11/21/2011, 10:42 AM
I'm that type of fan. I will call out your f-ing Mom if the turkey is dry. I'm an OU alum and I will call out whoever I think coaches or plays like crap. If I feel like it I will fly a banner around our stadium that says "Brent V. is not our standard!" If you are the pansy that thinks every kid should get a medal or ribbon for participating then eff-off loser. If you play or coach like crap there will be repercussions. If you lose enough games, you will get replaced, that goes for Bob, Brent, or Willie M. I'm not going to spare the feelings of player old enough to be trading bullets with the Taliban. They chose to play voluntarily and if they shame the entire freaking effort then they will hear about it from me. I will remind them my tax dollars are paying for the freaking shoes they are wearing. I don't see how I should pump sunshine to the coaches who fail to address concerns that the majority of casual fans can notice. You do not have a single hair on you nuts if you are not able to state what you believe.

Gold star for correctly using two different ways to abbreviate the F Word in your post.

Soonerjeepman
11/21/2011, 10:57 AM
I'd pick the biggest lineman and tell him he sucked a$$...then spit in his face and dare him to hit me!

:topsy_turvy:

I can't believe someone would do that...honestly it's not MY job...it's Stoops'....

Trophy Husband
11/21/2011, 11:00 AM
If I saw a member of our secondary at wal-mart, I would not say anything to them because I'd have to wait for them to catch up to me. :biggrin:

C&CDean
11/21/2011, 11:02 AM

Says the 145 lb. pencil-necked internet tough guy who calls himself a commando. Maybe you should stick to video games and crap. I'd like to see you tell Tom Wort or Ronnell how badly they sucked. That would humor me. Greatly.

olevetonahill
11/21/2011, 11:04 AM
A Keyboard makes a big man out of a puzzy

PLaw
11/21/2011, 11:24 AM
Saw this on another board last night and I just had to hang my head.

I've always taken pride that OU is considered as one of the classiest programs in the country. This type of crap is just so far below our standards it makes me sick.

Wouldn't it have been better to say, "Hey, Tony! Tough loss. We're with you - let's go win the conference!"

It's just as easy to show some class as it is to be a turd.

BOOMER

StoopTroup
11/21/2011, 11:29 AM
The fans that do **** like that in Wal-Mart to the players, yell obscenities to opposing fan, and act like the biggest cry babies after the games are usually the t-shirt fans. The alumni tend to have a bit more perspective...generally. Not trying to start a t-shirt fan/alumni debate here, but love for the football program is simply part of an overall love for all aspects of the university for most alumni. The football/basketball programs are usually the only think about the university your average t-shirt fan gives a **** about. That's why they pull crap like that at Wal-Mart which is where they seem to congregate.

Now of course this isn't ALWAYS true, but I think it's generally the truth.

You know this is an OU Board right?

For a second there you sounded like you were lost in some other far away State.

StoopTroup
11/21/2011, 11:31 AM
Saw this on another board last night and I just had to hang my head.

I've always taken pride that OU is considered as one of the classiest programs in the country. This type of crap is just so far below our standards it makes me sick.

Wouldn't it have been better to say, "Hey, Tony! Tough loss. We're with you - let's go win the conference!"

It's just as easy to show some class as it is to be a turd.

BOOMER

Y'all ought to take it easy. You don't even know this happened.

jkjsooner
11/21/2011, 11:32 AM
I have to admit, at one time I felt somewhat the same way. I spent an entire half screaming at Scott Blanton because he couldn't make a field goal against Texas and by God I was paying for my tuition and he was a freaking high school All American getting a free ride.

Then of course I grew up. I realized that it wasn't Scott Blanton's fault that someone labeled him as a high school All American and it sure wasn't his fault that he beat out the competitition. Scott Blanton did his best to win games for us. That's all we can ask for. (And, by the way, he turned into a pretty decent kicker and had a short stint in the NFL.)

If we blame the Tony Jefferson's or Scott Blanton's of the world then we would need to blame every player sitting on the bench who was beaten out by these guys. Hell, turn the finger on ourselves for not being even good enough to make the team.

If Jefferson isn't helping the program out (and I am by no means saying that that is true) then that's the coach's fault for not getting a better guy on the field.

CrimsonCommando
11/21/2011, 11:37 AM
Actually - Deano - I'm 6'5' and 240. I don't have a problem sharing my thoughts via computer or in person.

C&CDean
11/21/2011, 11:50 AM
So what you're saying is that you're a BIG loudmouth? Cool.

olevetonahill
11/21/2011, 11:52 AM
Heh.

StoopTroup
11/21/2011, 11:53 AM
Tremendous

OULenexaman
11/21/2011, 11:58 AM
Courage...

CrimsonCommando
11/21/2011, 12:05 PM
So you said you're hoping for suicides and folks jumping from bridges? Cool.

BoulderSooner79
11/21/2011, 12:10 PM
So you said you're hoping for suicides and folks jumping from bridges? Cool.

Well, if folks would really consider this over a football game, then you would have to blame Darwinism and not Dean.

StoopTroup
11/21/2011, 12:21 PM
I'm amazed at the amount of folks that need for some reason to have someone to blame stuff on. It's been this way around here for like 5-6 years and it's always the same bull****. Blame the Coach.

We have what I think is one of the Best Head Coaches in the Country. He does all the hiring and firing and gets to ride the *** of our Players when warranted.

If you are an OU Fan, be an OU Fan. Suck it up. We've seen much worse than this and even when we asked our Starting QB to leave Campus we supported that because it was the right thing to do.

There is a game in Norman on Saturday and that's what I sincerely hopes happens. For those that don't want to go, give your tickets away. I hope our TV Fans tune in as it's important these days to do so as evidently even a 5-7 Team can get their own Network these days and I'd like to continue to see OU Away Games. I know that some folks put a lot on winning National Championships and I too would have loved to see even what some folks think is a mediocre Team play in a MNC. This is a good Team and I'm Proud of how they tried to pull out of the Tech Game and the BU Game. It's unfortunate that it didn't go our way but that's football. Undefeated and even two losses has happened before and even in 2000 the best Team didn't win that day but that day, OU was the best Team.

You just never know when you are gonna have a Team that can just overcome every obstacle. When you do get one, that's what makes Ten or even Twenty Years of being a fan pretty damn Special. The last ten years we have been in 4 MNCs and we have been close in other years.

I've seen lots of folks turn in their tickets over that time. I know there are still a lot of folks on that waiting list who would live to have them. I certainly am excited about seeing some folks who enjoy Sooner Games in those seats. It's amazing to see our Stadium Packed with Fans that love being there. I spent years after School listening to games on the radio because I had to work. I would have given a finger to be at some of those games. When I got the opportunity to have Season Tickets back when the Monster ran Gibbs off, I jumped on them. It was one of the best choices Ive ever made in life besides getting Married and raising a Family that goes with me.

More good times are to come again.

God Bless OUr Seniors who will never see another snap or down of College Football.

BOOMER ! ! !

PLaw
11/21/2011, 12:30 PM
More power to ya...I just know that in a lot of cases, what I believe doesn't matter, so I keep it to myself.

and that, is called wisdom.

Boomer

PLaw
11/21/2011, 12:37 PM
Y'all ought to take it easy. You don't even know this happened.

Whether it happened or not there are still lot of folks that just need to cool their jets.

At the end of the day, we still have an above average coach; 2nd to none facilities; and some pretty darn good kids that do their best for the crimson and cream.

Losing sucks, for sure. I hate it, you hate it, and most folks that care enough to get on a message board hate it. But, it still happens, so we just need to pick up our heads and move on to next week.

BOOMER - can you give me a SOONER?

CrimsonCommando
11/21/2011, 12:58 PM
Sooner!!!

jkjsooner
11/21/2011, 02:06 PM
When I got the opportunity to have Season Tickets back when the Monster ran Gibbs off...

Good post but I can't let the above phrase go. The Monster did not run Gibbs off.

If Gibbs wanted to keep his job he could have beaten UT a few more of those times we were the superior team. Instead he allowed his offenses to crawl into a fetal position while trying to protect tiny leads.

In Gibbs' watch, UT, CU and even KSU surpassed us. When the probation ended and we had a couple of years at full strength, everyone thought we would get better but instead the team just kept getting worse. Gibbs didn't leave a lot of talent when he left.

The problem is that too many people look at Schnelly and Blake and assume that we made a mistake by getting rid of Gibbs. That's B.S. Gibbs was not head coaching material. He was a great defensive coordinator and should have remained a defensive coordinator.

IMO, Stoops showed exactly what was wrong with Gibbs. Both were great defensive coordinators. Gibbs went in with the attitude that the defense would win for us and the offense would simply not cost us the game. Stoops on the other in came in stating that you can't win in today's world of football without scoring points.

Landthief 1972
11/21/2011, 04:06 PM
Actually - Deano - I'm 6'5' and 240. I don't have a problem sharing my thoughts via computer or in person.

So you're a LARGE jackass with an overblown sense of entitlement. Got it.

Fiatil
11/21/2011, 04:41 PM
Do I still get to glare angrily at Jimmy Stevens in Finance? That's still cool right?

SoonerAtKU
11/21/2011, 05:06 PM
Something funny as well; I looked at Jefferson's twitter account and saw him call out our very own oudavid for always being negative. This was also BEFORE the loss on Saturday.

David...getting on everyone's nerves ahead of the curve. You're a pioneer, my friend.

rekamrettuB
11/21/2011, 05:13 PM
So basically what I've gotten from this thread is Twitter is dumb.

8timechamps
11/21/2011, 05:15 PM
...and C, I have a life.

This is why 99% of us wouldn't say ****. I can't think of many things more pitiful than having your life so consumed by the ups and downs of OU football, that you feel the need to call a player out.

GDC
11/21/2011, 06:03 PM
Getting upset with kids over a game is seriously messed up.

Getting upset with coaches and professional players making millions of dollars is quite acceptable.

8timechamps
11/21/2011, 06:07 PM
Getting upset with kids over a game is seriously messed up.

Getting upset with coaches and professional players making millions of dollars is quite acceptable.

I once heard a veteran coach say "If they're gettin' paid to win, then it comes with the territory". I've found that to be a good rule of thumb.

JudInKC
11/21/2011, 09:14 PM
So you're a LARGE jackass with an overblown sense of entitlement. Got it.

I'd say more like an oversized redneck ********* who has no manners and an ego 1000 times the size of his brain.

Of course he calls himself commando so that should tell us all we need to know.

Phil
11/21/2011, 09:31 PM
I'm that type of fan.

Clearly.

I will remind them my tax dollars are paying for the freaking shoes they are wearing.

No, Phil Knight pays for the freaking shoes they are wearing, genius. The only thing related to their scholarships that your tax dollars pay for is upkeep on the buildings in which they go to class and their professors' salaries. It kind of makes it hard to take you seriously (I mean, for reasons other than the obvious) when you don't even know how the world works.

BoomerJ
11/22/2011, 10:30 AM
I thought I saw Coach Martinez yesterday at McDonalds on I-44 heading back to OKC from Tulsa. I was stepping up to tell him what he did wrong Saturday night when I realized he was just another bald white guy.

StoopTroup
11/22/2011, 06:14 PM
Good post but I can't let the above phrase go. The Monster did not run Gibbs off.

If Gibbs wanted to keep his job he could have beaten UT a few more of those times we were the superior team. Instead he allowed his offenses to crawl into a fetal position while trying to protect tiny leads.

In Gibbs' watch, UT, CU and even KSU surpassed us. When the probation ended and we had a couple of years at full strength, everyone thought we would get better but instead the team just kept getting worse. Gibbs didn't leave a lot of talent when he left. When your 1st two years as HC include NCAA Sanctions like we had then....it tends to hurt recruiting. If there was something different that could have been done, I'd say Gary Should have quit after two years as HC, blamed it on the Sanctions and gone onto be a Coach somewhere else. He didn't deserve the **** he got as HC here.

The problem is that too many people look at Schnelly and Blake and assume that we made a mistake by getting rid of Gibbs. That's B.S. Gibbs was not head coaching material. He was a great defensive coordinator and should have remained a defensive coordinator.

IMO, Stoops showed exactly what was wrong with Gibbs. Both were great defensive coordinators. Gibbs went in with the attitude that the defense would win for us and the offense would simply not cost us the game. Stoops on the other in came in stating that you can't win in today's world of football without scoring points.

See it how you want. I was there on Campus with my Brothers while they were in School at OU. We tried to go to as many Games as we could back then. I lost my voice screaming in the stands long before Stoops came to Town and had been losing it before Gibbs was HC starting with my 1st OU Game in 1973. What happened after Gary left wasn't good and it wasn't because of him.

101sooner
11/22/2011, 07:01 PM
What Jefferson said happened probably didn't happen. I've been to a hundred games in Norman and lived there for over 30 years and I can't imagine shoppers at a Wal Mart heckling an OU football player. He's probably reading some painful things on the message boards and twitter and exaggerating to deflect criticism from internet posters.

Just stop and think about what he said happened. Now think about your experiences in Wal Mart or any other supermarket.

He's young and very frustrated.